Joined the club! - first public outing

jwhite44

I finally did it! I'll provide all the details below, maybe it will provide ideas & inspiration for those still looking to go out in public themselves.

My base outfit consisted of a light green sweater with a pair of faded dark blue Old Navy low rise bootcut jeans. In the spirit of trying to have some color coordination, I also wore my Fredericks green thong underwear (plus I love the way they feel). This was combined with two different lengths of jeans, two different hosiery, and 3 different shoes.

Most of the items are described in this thread: http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/tv_s_cd_s_ts_s/11747-how_did_you_tell_your_partner-2.html#post183791

I picked a local shopping mall for my excursion. My first outfit was the jeans in a 34L (a little long being low rise), a pair of black crew socks I already had, and a pair of black Giorgio Brutini shoes with a 1 3/4" heel. [For what it's worth, everything up to this outfit is all men's clothes, no women's.] The pants left maybe 3/4" of the heel exposed (what I wanted).

Perhaps not surprisingly, there was little difficulty in walking in them. The biggest effort was trying to minimize the sound of the heels clicking on the tile floors. That actually turned out to be be easier than I thought, just had to take the walking a little slower than normal, with a light touch to get the heel-then-sole transition just right. It's the first time I wore any type of heel out in public, so despite the low height, it was a perfect shoe to be able to walk around with no concerns.

Before I entered the mall, I was shooting for maybe 30 minutes in each shoe - I didn't need to rush it, but I also wasn't planning on spending the entire night in the mall. Although I thought, "I don't need to spend 30 minutes in these shoes.", by the time I did some walking in the first store, then thru part of the mall, then to the next store, 30 minutes had passed. One pair down, two to go.

I had brought a medium-sized shopping bag into the mall with me. It contained the pieces for outfit two: the same Old Navy bootcut jeans, but now in a 36L; a pair of thinner microfiber men's dress socks I picked up at Kmart, and my second pair of heels, a pair of Cloudwalkers brown ankle boots I bought at Avneue with a 2 7/8" heel. My plan was to carry the bag on my journey thru the mall, to make it look like I was doing some shopping in the mall, and not senselessly walking around. At the end of my first walk, I located the restroom in one of the anchor stores of the mall, where I changed my jeans and boots. I couldn't immediately locate the thinner socks (didn't want to rustle my shopping bag too much looking for them with someone in the next stall!), so I went out in the thicker ones.

Walking out of the bathroom stall, the first thing I noticed was how LOUD those heels were! It didn't help I had to walk down a long corridor, and then past some employees near the exit back to the store, but it turned out to be okay. I tried to adjust my foot placement like I did with the previous shoes to minimize the heel click, but I just couldn't get it with these boots. The longer pants did cover almost all the heel, and with a chunky heel, they could look sort of unisex. I just had to imagine they were a men's pair of boots, and live with the heel click.

Once I did that (as much as I could), they weren't too bad. For 'Cloudwalkers' boots, I was expecting them to be more comfortable walking. I thought it might have been due to the thicker socks I had on, so I made a pit stop in another department store rest room, found my thinner socks, and changed to them. That helped a bit, but I guess woman's shoes just won't be as comfortable as I'm used to. I think I have room for some thin insoles, which could help a lot.

I looked around the store a little further, one saleswoman asked if I needed help (looking for a baking pan in housewares), but that was about it. Although I was doing okay in these heels, for the first 20+ minutes, I sort of thought that would be it for the night - I just didn't think I had it in me to go to my third, even higher heel pair. However, I really liked the last pair (what I originally thought I'd go out in before getting the Cloudwalker boots last weekend). I loved the way my feet looked in them, and I just decided I was going to go for it.

These pair I left in my car, so I left the store, walked back to my car, and changed into the last pair, the Payless Twist Bootine in black, with a 3 3/4" heel. Two pair down, one to go. Since I had walked thru 3 of the department stores already, I decided to drive down to the last one, enter the mall thru it, and then walk thru that end of the mall. As I was walking into the store, I realized two things immediately:

1. The extra inch of heel height definitely felt different in my legs. They weren't uncomfortable, but the back of my legs noticed the difference (I'm sure all those who routinely wear 5"+ heels probably think I'm a wimp).

2. I love this feeling! Anyone who has worn a 4" heeled shoe instead of a 2" one knows the difference. You KNOW you are in a heel! It was a bit surreal knowing I was walking out in public in legitimate high heels.

Perhaps surprisingly, I had a better and easier time walking in these boots than the thicker-heel Cloudwalker ones. Part of it, as described in a previous post, was that these boots look small. I feel almost like an average-size person wearing these. I just can't get over how good I think I look in them.

I had to focus a bit more on walking, and my stride wasn't as long, but it was still a great feeling being in them. I stayed mostly in the department store. While there were a lot of times I intentionally stayed on the carpet sections (my 'island of refuge' - no heel noise), especially when I first entered the store, but I ended up having no problems walking on the tile floors. I intentionally took a long walk down and back to the Christmas section of the store, just to prove to myself that I could do it.

I did venture out in the mall a bit with these boots on, but it was amazing empty, and being the only one walking in that section of the mall didn't really jive with my whole "being discreet" plan. I went about 6 stores into it (coincidentally right past a Payless, which I didn't have an interest in stopping in), and then turned around. I took the long way thru the department store, and started to head it out. When I got to the outside door, I picked up my pace, walking with a bit more conviction for that last 50' to my car. When I got in, I looked at the time, and it was a full 30 minutes in these heels.

I got NO comments from anyone, and to the best of my knowledge, NO looks that I'm aware of. As I mentioned, the malls and stores were exceptionally empty, I think due to the World Series game being on tv. I don't know whether a bigger crowd would have made things better or worse (better in that I was self conscious being the only person in some areas).

Now that I got 'the bug', I'm tempted to go out tonight, to a different mall, so worst case I could use the, "I'm practicing for Halloween" excuse if I'm confronted. This time though, I think it's right to the 3 3/4" heels. That's all I want to wear now.

So that's my account. Probably some differences compared to other first time outings, but maybe some similarities as well. As I've said in other posts, for those reluctant to go out in public, I really think going with a conservative approach can be a great way to get started. I think that me being able to go from ~2" to ~3" to ~4" heels helped develop my confidence so quickly tonight, knowing that I wasn't immediately walking out onto a gangplank in skyscraper heels.

Thanks for all those provided inspiration in previous posts, as well as to those read this post to the end.

GFY JWhite.:winkiss: Now, get off the carpet and converse with people. Watch them watch you, catch them and smile, thats when it gets to be really fun. Be careful and enjoy. Thrill

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

2. I love this feeling! Anyone who has worn a 4" heeled shoe instead of a 2" one knows the difference. You KNOW you are in a heel! It was a bit surreal knowing I was walking out in public in legitimate high heels.

Grats, and very well done!

Now you understand why I don't wear anything shorter than 4". I just don't feel right otherwise.

You may as well embrace the noise they make. There's no preventing it, especially on hard floors. Personally, it's music to my ears.

:winkiss:

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

There is something to be said about having a "plan," especially if you are new to wearing heels in public. And, there is something about just throwing on a pair of boots with 4" or 5" stiletto heels and going out to the mall like "you own the place." The latter, comes with experience. You have to work your way up through all levels of confidence.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I followed up yesterday with my second outing. Pretty much the same outfit, and sticking to my intent, right with the Payless Twist Booting 3 3/4" heel boots. I went to a different local shopping mall.

I had a bit of reservation when I got to the parking lot and was about 20' out of the car. Plus, I had put in some sole pads to see if that would help my feet a little, and one didn't feel right. I went back to the car and adjusted it. After fixing it, I put the boot back on, looked down at them, said to myself, "I want to wear these in public", and got out and made the walk to the entrance.

Inside, the first steps were awkward. The hardwood floor in the aisle I'm not sure was secured to the floor, so every step was a loud click, like the entire floor resonanted. It felt like hopping puddles, taking a step or two over the hardword floor to try to get to carpeted area. It was more than I wanted to deal with immediately, so I was just looking to get out into the mall area, but I couldn't find it! I wasn't that famliar with the store, so I must have been zig-zagging thru a lot of it, trying to find the exit, without staying on the loudest, most crowded part of the store.

I finally made it out into the mall. Initially I wasn't sure that was much better: the tile floor was still loud to walk on, and the entrance was a huge opening with some people sitting on benches. However, I just took my time, tried to control my foot placement to minimize noise, and kept walking. And walking. And walking.

Like a lot of newbies, I had thoughts of, "I can't do this.". However, I just kept moving. It was the noise that most concerned me. I had a lot of confidence that visually I was fine, but the heel click is an attention getter. However, until I find a pair of silent heels, I have to deal with what I have.

With some diligence and persistence, I made it all the way to the other end of the mall, where there was another department store with smaller aisles and carpet (!). I was able to relax some on the store, being able to walk around more comfortably, knowing that every step I didn't have to focus on my foot placement. I'm assuming this is just part of the 'high heel training' that I'll need to go thru, and I guess that just comes with practice.

I looked around this store, actually took something into a dressing room to try on (too big), though the loud "ding-dong" as I entered the area (I guess for employees to know people are in there) didn't help things. I finished up in this store, and then decided to head back. There were some places I could have taken a shortcut thru, but I intentionally made sure I walked thru all of the mall.

When I got back to the store I came in thru, I definitely felt more comfortable walking there than I had when I came in. I still had reservations, and I still was thinking about how I was walking, but I was definitely better. About a minute before I left the store, I had a 20-30 second moment where I just felt totalled relaxed. There were some people around, and there was still noise from my walking, but it's almost like one of those move scenes where everything around you blurs and doesn't matter. Unfortunately it didn't last, but for those brief seconds, it was great. With that, I walked out of the store.

Although I've tried to describe some of my thoughts, you really need to do it yourself to get the total feeling. I think as the malls get more crowded towards the holidays, it will be a lot easier for me, since the noise level is likely to go way up, and I won't have to be concerned as much with the heel clicking.

I have another story to tell about this outing, but that will have to wait for another post.

Congratulations on your outing. It sounds like you started out slowly with a lower high heel and worked your way up until you became totaly comfortable. It sounds like itwas fun and exciting for you. Ihope this is the start of many other fun ventures for you in high heels.

jwhite44: Great stories there! Everyone here has been through what you experienced. The very first time out in heels is always the hardest and the most harrowing, but once you've gotten those early outings under your belt, it invariably becomes easier and easier. You've now taken those tentative first steps into a much larger world. Hope to read more of your exploits soon!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Well done It is almost distracting listening to your own heels during first tours and being so self-conscious on what is going on. My only experience is more limited, just once into our hotel foyer, 15 yards or so each way watching for reactions and seeing none, it's almost disappointing despite the pre-empted fears. Having someone (female) with me giving tips and hints on an earlier walk made things easier and with her listening from above gave further advice. Notably speed of walk. I was advised to speed up and not be so deliberate in my steps. Hope the above can assist everyone and again Well done and Congratulations you're setting standards to follow.

Great thread, indicating the trial and tribulations of first outings. Although I've been out quite a bit in heels now, I still feel like a newbie. I'm beginning to think it's something you need to keep on at. I've spent most of summer (what summer) walking about in trainers or heavy walking boots. :nervous: I'm starting to get used to wearing heels out more frequently again, but still not been able to get them on daily. Working to change that, obviously. :winkiss:

JWhite44:-) For a beginning heeler, you are progressing at a fair pace. Good on you. The more you do it the more fun you will have and the clicking of your heels will fade away somewhat in your head. But if it still bothers you, you can always have a rubber tip placed on your heels to help quiet them a bit. Looking to read of more of your heeling adventures. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I might be hooked now! A few more tales: After I visited the second mall, on the way home, I decided to stop at my local Payless to return a pair of shoes. I figured if I can go out in a mall, I should be able to wear them to the store I bought them at. I guess it was about 20min before closing, not too crowded. From those that read my posts in the Payless thread, there's a salesgirl at my local store that knows me, and has given me good service. She happened to be working that night. She was busy with a customer when I walked in (though she still gave me a big, "Hi"), so I walked over to the sz 13 section to see what they had there (not anything that interests me). When the salegirl is finished, I went over to the counter, so she could start the return. Because it was bought during their BOGO sale, she decided to show another salesgirl how to do the return. I realized later on that the box with the 4" pumps I was returning was open the entire time, and I don't even think I thought about it in the store. A month or so ago, I'd probably have been very embarrassed. When she's finishing up, she asks if there's anything else I'm interested in. I saw I don't think so, but I'll take a look (I didn't see anything). I then did think I'd ask her if she could check another store for availability. I was thinking if I found another pair of the Boot Twistine's in Black, I might buy them (the shoes I posted the "buying duplicate shoes" about). I was expecting her to ask me the name of them (which I knew), but she said, "I need the model number on the end of the box." "Can you describe them to me?" At that point, I was tempted to just lift up my pant legs, and say, "Yeah, these." but I didn't. I walked back to the shelves, found the boot in I think an size 11, and I gave her the number. I think one or both of them walked over to where I looked on the shelf. When we got back to the counter, she said there were two nearby stores that had only one left in stock. I asked if she could write that down, she said, "No....I'll give you a printout. She then gave me a receipt with the item number, store names and addresses, inventory count, and a coupon for a discount at the bottom. I said thanks, and walked out (there was other conversation besides this, she's very talkative). As I was walking out though, I thought to myself - did she not realize I was wearing heels? She knows I don't seem to have a problem talking to her about my purchases. The store was practically (if not completely) empty. Wouldn't she know what shoes she sells look like on people? The ones I bought were pretty prominent in some of their ads (and in the front of the store), so it's not like it's an uncommon shoe. Plus, with me asking about them, it would have been a perfect opportunity for, "Isn't that what you're wearing now?" Maybe I shouldn't assume that much, but I'm wondering if I was passable in the shoe store I bought them at? If so, I think that's pretty amazing. More to follow...