Public heeling - time or distance?

jwhite44

Sort of a survey, I'm curious as to other's thoughts on this.

In my preparation on my first public walk, as a step towards getting better and becoming more comfortable with it, I thought, "I have a pedometer. Maybe I should wear it, record my step count, and then make sure I increase it in the future."

On the other hand, many of the posts from those getting into public heeling often state, "I wore my heels for an hour...", or "I was able to spend the afternoon in them..."

That led me to the question - what is a better measurement of showing improvement in heeling: higher distances, or more time?

For those wanting to improve their physical walking in heels, or their confidence while doing so, it's tough to think how repetition, namely walking in public, isn't the best training measure. If you were practicing for a marathon, I think you'd want to build up your distance until you got to 26 miles. The distance you can go is a concrete measurement of how much you've gone.

On the other hand, one could make the case that public heeling isn't just about how far you walk. There's:

- how you handle ramps, steps, escalators; flooring changes (carpet to tile)

- standing in heels: waiting in line, or looking at some merchandise.

- can you walk by a group of teenagers without drawing attention to yourself, and having them comment about you.

If you're out heeling for half an hour or half a day, there's a good chance you've encountered some of the above which could help to make you well rounded.

I'm curious what others think.

That led me to the question - what is a better measurement of showing improvement in heeling: higher distances, or more time?

This is just me, mind you, but I've found time to have been a better barometer of my progress when it came to public outings in heels than distance. To me, five minutes outside in heels felt better to me than walking five blocks. I've never concerned myself with how far I've walked in heels, rather how long I spent in them. In my opinion, distance covered has never been of interest to me since I drive to wherever I have my outings, say to a mall where I might cover only a mile or two. In that instance, time spent in heels is farmore important to me. Yes, public outings in heels has very little to do with distance.

Carefully, but not to the point where you're looking down at your feet every few moments or so. Take your time, walk slowly and take small steps

I keep my legs together or just a small distance apart while waiting in line, I always strive to act as normally as everyone else in a given setting, never give out any signs that you are perceived as being beyond the norm

- can you walk by a group of teenagers without drawing attention to yourself, and having them comment about you.

This is tricky because you never know what sort of reactions you'll get. I've had kids snicker and giggle at me while other groups didn't give me so much as a second glance. However, it's groups of African-American teens I've had the most trouble with since I'm also black and they'll sometimes just crack up at seeing me in heels, but I've long since learned to ignore buffoons like them.

I hope my answers were of use to you.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Everyone gets their own joy from heeling. I enjoy the attention, some get a sexy high, some just like to see what they can get away with and still keep things hidden, but "I have a pedometer. Maybe I should wear it, record my step count, and then make sure I increase it in the future." Is one I hadn’t considered but if it makes you happy, ped away.

I think the measure of endurance could be formulated:

ER = time (in fortnights) * distance traveled (in cubits) * heel height (in fathoms)

Conversion

1 cubit (English) = 18 inches (3520 cubits per mile, 176 cubits per block)

1 fortnight = hours / 336 or minutes / 20160

1 fathom = inch * 72

Endurance Rating for:

• traveling 1 mile in 1 hour on 5 inch heels is 0.72751322751322751322751322751319
  • traveling 1 mile in 1 hour on 3 inch heels is 0.43650793650793650793650793650794
  • taking 5 steps in 15 min on 5 inch heels is 2.5834986772486772486772486772487e-4
  • taking 5 steps in 15min on 3 inch heels is 1.5500992063492063492063492063492e-4
  • traveling 2 blocks in 5 min on 5 inch heels is 0.0060626102292768959435626102292769
  • traveling 2 blocks in 5 min on 3 inch heels is 0.0036375661375661375661375661375661

Enjoy your heels. :winkiss:

:nervous:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

For me it is always time. A good outing, in my opinion, should be at least two hours. Though if I just slip on my heels and go out to fill up my tank, it still is great. So, I think how somebody measures their outings, for those who do at least, it is highly subjective.

If you were practicing for a marathon, I think you'd want to build up your distance until you got to 26 miles. The distance you can go is a concrete measurement of how much you've gone.

I have no plans to go 26 miles in sneakers!:winkiss:

However, I do try to anticipate the distances i may be walking and choose shoes appropriate to the activities, surface, etc.

On the other hand, one could make the case that public heeling isn't just about how far you walk. There's:

Escalators seem to be more of an issues if I am wearing pants long enough to cover my heels. Don't want the extra material to get covered. I find stairs easier to walk on the flat surfaces most of the time.

Surface seems to make a huge difference. Hard surfaces such as concrete, tile, marble just don't give. One these days, I like shos with some padding or thicker sole and possibly a more substantial heel, especially when I know the bulk of the day will be spent on such surfaces. Carpet, wood, etc. has a lot more give and you can get away with a thinner sole shoe.

Also, I find standing in heels to be harder on my feet than walking. Standing, I try to shift my weight a lot, and try to keep my feet moving just a little bit to keep he circulation flowing.

As for walking by a group of teenagers without them noticing, I really don't try not to be noticed. This has more to do with them, than my actions because I find teens to be distracted by their own activities. They would need to stop texting to see anything around them.

Greta idea for a survey!

Style is built from the ground up!

For heeling in public, you can take what ever measurements you want, but how do you rate being with and around others when you don't really think about time, distance, social encounters, and etc.

Right now, for most men to wear high heels publicly, it does take a bit of mental preparation. Hopefully real soon, men won't have to feel so intimidated. Next time you look into the mirror, mentally leave your position and try to see what you look like from "all" angles. Are you achieving the look that you have pictured yourself portraying? What do you need to change to better put forth the look that is you? It is one thing to heel in public looking like an advertisement for men's high heels and quite another depicting you as coordinated and sharp wearing high heels. When you have fully evaluated your appearance, is this look - you or within your desired need of what you want to be perceived as you? Once you have found the look that you are proud to be seen wearing, public scrutiny should not matter. They are not in your shoe, anyway!

Take back your personal right of choice. Others can advise and advertise, but it is you who knows what you like. All the social decrees and standards can't change who you are.

I usually have at least sort of an agenda when I wear high heels in public. I basically stick to my agenda and I never even notice the time. Some times I go to many different places and it doesn't take that much time. Other times I will spend much time at a few places and not even notice how much time I spent there. I guess I would have to say whatever works for you. You can decide where you are going up front and follow the schedule. Or just put on your high heels and let the day go where it takes you. The main thing is to have fun and be comfortable in your high heels.

Just what is the problem here? You either wear heels or you don't, it's as simple as that! Why do you need to "improve" as such? Just wear your heels when you want or have the opportunity to wear them. If endurance is an issue then you are wearing heels that are too high for you.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I applaud TBG for being able to formulate and convert endurance ratings on heeling. But this is not for me. I just put on my heels and go about my chores and never worry about the time or distance and have fun doing it wherever it takes me. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Not so sure about my take on this. I usually look at both the time and the distance. But, you don't need to carry a pedometer with you, thanks to this site: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ Here, you can even calculate your calories uses and see the height profile of the way you just walked :winkiss:

I am always interested in how long it takes for my feet to start hurting. That's definitely some kind of measure, but more like how much trained I currently am (or how cheap the shoes are...)

As of standing and stairs - no issues. Teenagers: no good, try to avoid, at least when I am in usual mens' clothes. Those are also prime candidates to actually really take their cell phones out for pictures and videos. So, I try to avoid them or at least stand still, so that they won't hear or see my heels.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I'm sure fulltime heelers don't think twice about any of these issues. Us newbies appreciate any info you can provide.

As a reminder, I just started street-heeling a couple of weeks ago. Once I got over my initial fear of that first step, I was fine. No amount of measuring or analysis could have made that first step any easier. Trust me, street-heeling is nothing more than one massive head game in which the grand prize is the overwhelmingly exhilarating feeling of complete and total liberation from your own fears about wearing heels in public.

Now, to answer just a few of your questions...

...what is a better measurement of showing improvement in heeling: higher distances, or more time?

If you're new to wearing heels, period, the last thing you want to do is practice in public. Spend plenty of time practicing in your home, first. Then, when you feel you're ready, step out.

I've spent years wearing heels in the privacy of my house, so I was quite comfortable with stepping out for the first time. The only thing I had to overcome was my fear of public reaction.

...how you handle ramps, steps, escalators; flooring changes (carpet to tile)

You have to learn how to adapt on-the-fly while maintaining a casual stride. The less you look like you're learning how to walk for the first time, the better.

...standing in heels: waiting in line, or looking at some merchandise.

I like to shift my weight a lot. Doing so gives me wonderful opportunities to use whichever leg is relaxed to tap my foot and enjoy the experience of touching the ground with nothing but the heel. I also like to cross my legs like a closed scissor and just stand motionless until I decide to shift again or move on.

can you walk by a group of teenagers without drawing attention to yourself, and having them comment about you.

The more important question is how much credence do you want to give those teenagers, even if they do say anything.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma