Is High Heel's Really a Women's Shoe?

Simcity3

I have started to wonder if high heels really are womens shoe because what i generaly se when im out shoppping or at work or just outside generaly is 1/14 or something wearing heels all other womens wear flats. and for a heel lover that really hurts in the eyes, i don't say that all womens should wear heels but it would have been nice it was more like 5/5 or something. The first place i look on a women is the shoe's and if she's wearing flats i tend to start looking at some one else. womens some how got the idea that high heels are only for formal wear and that is totaly wrong. My point with this is i don't think high heels live's up to be a women's shoe because i think the the amount of womens and amount of men wearing them is close to be the same if all men came out of the closet. But i guess that im the only that see it this way or atleast one of the few that does it. So i only have one thing to say to the womens in here: Glad to have you on board. You are a dying race.

Yes it's true here (UK) also - women who wear flats or low heels totally outnumber those who wear high heels. There are undoubtedly many reasons why this should be. Obviously, there is a large percentage of women who don't particularly like heels and don't ever wear them or who only wear them on certain occasions. There are also women who do like heels but opt not to wear them very often - usually due to the comfort factor. And of course fashion plays a part. For instance, the double-strap black patent stiletto is quite trendy/popular at the moment so you can usually spot a few examples of that on the average high street. Unfortunately the dreaded Ugg boot and Croc are also still popular hence they are everywhere you look.

Always High-Heel Responsibly

In the 70's, high heels were in style for both men and women. And many men wore high heels as did women. If high heels make a big comeback for men as well as women, I think you will see many men wearing them again. But at the present high heels are still associated with an intricate part of a woman's wardrobe.

I too would like to see women wear high heels more often. When I see a woman wearing high heels, it's refreshing. It's beautiful eye candy! They make a woman look attractive, fun, and exciting, not to mention sexy. Of course, one big thing that really turns me off is when I see a woman wearing flip-flops. They're ugly and repulsive. It doesn't matter if she looks like a supermodel, if she's wearing flip-flops she's just unattractive to me. I respect a woman more when she's in high heels.

Opposite here. Girls wear heels all the time, to work, shopping, club and party. Some of them finds it mandatory: they feel that some offices and parties obligates them to wear heels, but I think it's an excuse to buy more shoes or maybe compete among them. Considering the amount of girls wearing heels in the streets when they are not supposed to have an excuse, I think that girls wear heels just because it's chick and/or feminine.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

Kudos to you, t-strap, for getting That far! I've always wondered, "What if I had no shoes of my own in the house? Would I have to [force] on a pair of my mom's? (She has small feet, btw)" Shoot, the thought of leaving my sneakers at home and going out in nothing but heels has crossed my mind more than once. It'll be memorable, I bet; but getting back inside, oh ho! How will that be accomplished, especially when/if the step-dad's home? :winkiss: Amusing thought...

Formally "HHDude"

comfort and practicality meets the social 'norm' dictates how much a gal will venture out in public in high heels outside of dress up situations. overall.. high heels has suffered the relentless pressure of the media as being super bad for your health.. and many don't do the heights they might have if the pressure wasn't there. secondly, many gals have told me that the quality of mass-produced heels are not as comfy as they used to be. plus, with more walking involved in city life than before, wearing high heels is more pain than pleasure. most my gal pals will pull out heels (sometimes of heights that surprise me) when they're using their cars for communting purposes. but i've seen a trend that I don't like.. the further away from the "city" or "urban jungle" you go, the lower the heel height and the more resistance high heel wearer experiences. I still thank 'old fashion' church folks though.. they still believe in high heel wearing for church (again, not all faiths, or churches share that view.. but many city churchs have that view... across many denominations) as a guy who doesn't wear heels.... i don't look forward to a time when fashion puts a premium on men wearing heels. but for the guys who love to wear heels.. that will be a new golden era!!! and i applaud you and support you loudly when such an era arrives. as for the numbers game.. in this generation, women heelers will always outnumber male heelers.. maybe in another generation.. it will even out.. doubt it will ever swing to be a predominantly male fashion item however. in closing to my long post.. if more women knew how to select their heels.. i strongly feel that more would wear them.. just my strong opinion. (just like i think that male heelers are more knowledgeable on the subject as a group of dedicated heelers than women as a group of dedicated heelers.. again.. just an opinion) RPM

in closing to my long post.. if more women knew how to select their heels.. i strongly feel that more would wear them.. just my strong opinion. (just like i think that male heelers are more knowledgeable on the subject as a group of dedicated heelers than women as a group of dedicated heelers.. again.. just an opinion) RPM

Please explain. I've always thought that most women go for fashion/looks first and comfort third.

Women who don't wear heels all the time don't spend any serious time or thought on comfort. Most heels are uncomfortable, therefore most women don't wear them.

So Amanda, is what your saying, heels are not just shoes for women but for those who are comfortable in them, men or women?

real men wear heels

So Amanda, is what your saying, heels are not just shoes for women but for those who are comfortable in them, men or women?

Johnie,

I was merely commenting on women being comfortable in heels.

vector... most women just assume that heels are not comfy.. so they don't go for heels for comfort. they go for the fashion and matching the wardrobe before thinking of comfort. and those who think comfort first steer clear of heels more often than not.. or if they do heels, it's not that tall. guys who are deep into heels learn as much as they can about it to find what works for them so that when they are perched that high.. they can do it more comfortably than randomly selecting heels. case in point. i don't wear heels, but the times i did for show-off purposes.. i applied the body of knowledge on heels i had to ensure maximum height and comfort on top of style.. and was able to outwalk a few gals in the past. when breaking down the dos and don'ts of heeling.. many women are stunned that i know far more than they about heels. so much so, several have asked my wife if they could borrow me to help them buy heels. they want the taller height, but fear the pain.. yet they see my wife slowly increasing more and more in height. (i buy almost all of my wife's shoes for her). and she often says that the heels i buy are more comfy and equally stylish than the ones she buys herself. reluctantly, she learned things from me. now she can get a comfy tall pair on her own. i think the reason why guys know more.. the whole point of braving societal constraints is because there is a deep attraction to the heel.. and in order to build confidence.. one needs to know what they're doing in order to do it well to get to the heights of interest. most women approach it with the attitude.. i'm a girl.. i should be able to do this. if it works.. great.. if it's too painful.. heels suck and they move on. most of my gal pals think that it's just a matter of putting on the shoe.. few know the science and skill set behind it. but.. as we see on this site.. the fellas into heels do know a lot more about it than most of my gal pals. RPM

I think that nowadays most women rather dress comfortably than fashionably. Around where I live, about 99% of the people, both men and women, have sneakers on their feet--not shoes. It is a shame that heels aren't being worn as often as we would like to see, but styles change--and I do believe high heels are coming back--for both genders. As far as high heels being considered women's shoes, maybe some of them can be--the more delicate looking ones. BUT--my high heels aren't womens shoes--they're my shoes.

I believe like Smitty 55 that high heels are coming around for both genders and that there will always be high heels available for anyone that can want them and can wear them. The styles may not be as comfortable as they may have been in the past, but I also think that that can change if the buying public demands it in the future. The name of the game is sales, no matter who is buying. When I buy them, they are my shoes, no matter the heel height. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!