first time wearing heels out

jamie1608

first: be comfortable match your style in a way you like it. be aware of choosing the right heels - are you able to walk in them? do they fit for hours? second: it´s your show perhaps it is a good choice to "go an extra mile". if your hometown is not (for now) the right spot, than it could be the next town. no fear to meet people you don´t want to cross your way on heels. third: enjoy the good time yes, make a picture of your journey. imagine getting compliments from women, imagine talking about "why i like heels", be ready to talk to people. so get ready for a great time and provide us some feedback....

Just Do It! Start out with a block-type heel or a wedge, something not so high as to be uncomfortable. Wear a long-ish pair of pants to hide most of the heel if you are likely to be self-conscious (most of us are) and go out at night for a little more obscurity. That will break the ice and give you the rush we all talk about here -- and you will want to go out more! As you build confidence you will be street-heeling regularly in no time!

Have a happy time!

I'll restate what others have said: be comfortable, don't let nerves get to you, act like you've been there before and you'll do fine. The very first time out is always nerve wracking, but once you've got that first outing under your belt, things will invariably get easier.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

jamie1608, a few weeks ago I never thought I could go out in public (never even wanted to either). Perhaps like you, extermely selfconscious about.

The key for me is the outfit - once I discovered I could find something I felt were disreet enough for a public outing, there was no stopping my desire to go out.

You can look in the following thread, the first post, photos 1 & 3, for shoes I have. http://www.hhplace.org/discuss/everybody/12022-thoughts_male_shoes_heels.html

The 3rd one is a male shoe with a 1 3/4" tapered chunk heel. It's what I plan on wearing out first, mainly to see what the clack of a heel out in public is like, and to know what to expect, and how to handle it. I won't have an absolute fear of getting discovered, because I'm still wearing a man's shoe. That will allow me to enjoy my outing, maybe learn some things, without that big monkey on my back.

Then, I plan on going out in a real woman's heel, picture 1, an ankle boot with a 3 3/4" heel. They have a round toe and a black suede finish (not shiny), so they don't draw attention to themselves. I bought a pair of boot cut jeans, extra long, which cover the heel to the ground. The jeans also fit very well (and they're one size smaller than what I normally wear). They make my legs look long and thin, which complements the small footbox of the shoe (and they're still a 13). And they are male jeans, bought at Old Navy (mentioned because many posters buy and wear woman's jeans).

Bottom line - I put together an outfit I feel eliminates as much as possible looking like I'm wearing female clothes. That's what I need to at least get myself out in public the first time, which is what really matters to those that want to go out.

You might consider a similar approach for yourself.

Please let us know what you do.

Go for it you will love the rush you'll get especially when someone gives you a compliment, It will happen sooner or later I have had more good response than bad when I heel. Most of the women that comment are really into the fact that a guy is wearing heels I think it's all in how you are put together and the look that you going for. If you look like you are comfortable with what you are wearing then be ready for the nice words and looks to follow. Good luck and happy heeling!

jamie1608... The advice you have been given by our friends here at HHP is excellent. The only thing I can add to it is for you to be comfortable in the outfit you're wearing with your high heels. Be comfortable walking in your high heels. And journey to places where you feel the most comfortable. Going to a bookstore as opposed to a red-neck biker bar would be an example of this. Good luck and I hope you have so much fun.

Confidence is key, and you'll get it in no time. Just wear them like you would any other pair of shoes and do like you normally do. Fear is the mind killer, as they say in "Dune", so have no fear, hold your head high, and enjoy the day!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

scream heels are out! how about my 5.5 inch platform heels from office? to see what type the are go on google and type page 3 peta in 5.5 inch heels and let me know what anyone thinks. my pair are in black! or how about my 6 inch pleaser heels?

Probably restating what many have said, but telling you what I have done. Start with some sensible and comfortable round toe, 3 inch block heel/wedge boots/shoes, and wear them under some long bootcut jeans. Do that your first several times at least and do it in an area where you are pretty sure you won't run into people you know the first times out. It has been a year now since my first outing, and I still am using that more discreet look under jeans quite often, usually with 4"+ stacked heels now. Many others here are quite a bit more adventurous and bold than I am, and thats great, but I want to be comfortable when doing this and not draw unnecessary attention to myself when I don't need to. Anyway, by far the very first step out is the hardest, once you get out there just keep on going and be confident, look like you belong and own the look.

Just go for it but dont start with very high heels ... 3 months ago I was wearing heels for the first time at the office. Yesterday it was in front of strangers and it was GREAT. First time is never easy but you will be glad you did it !

i am going to try and wear some heels for a few hous over the weekend around the house. i will try to wear them outside later. did anyone like my choice of heels? any advice?

Looked up what you described, you must be referring to this video. I think they are quite sexy. As I stated (and a few others did as well), you may want to start more sensibly with 4" or less your first few times. However, if you feel comfortable going out your first time in more extreme heels, and you seem pretty determined to do so, then more power to you, go for it I suppose. :winkiss:

hhboots... Thank you for sharing that video with us. To stay with the theme of this post, the young lady looked like she didn't wear high heels all of the time and she was just out having as much fun as she could, even though it was for a news story. There's a great example of the attitude to have while out wearing high heels.

Yeah, don't wear them for our sake. Wear them because you enjoy them. I'd like to get in some street-heeling myself, this weekend, but I'm certainly not going to push myself.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

i managed nearly one hour in my heels. longer in them tomorrow. how do i tackle stairs?

Good question. The times I've done it inside, going up stairs, I've placed the sole of the shoe on the next step. This allowed my foot to leg angle to be 90' or so, almost equivelent to wearing flat shoes. Of course this meant the heel was below the level of the next step, which I always thought: 1) couldn't be very attractive, and 2) probably wasn't right. I'd also appreciate instructions.

For going down stairs, because I wear large (sz13) heels I've often turned my foot at a 45' angle, to make sure all of it gets on the next step. Same thoughts as above - it's probably not the correct way to do it. However, so far, I've yet to stumble either going up or coming down, which maybe counts for something.

You say that you lasted for one hour the first time which is great. Don't push yourself too hard. Your feet will let you know how long you should be in heels. You will find that the more you wear a certain pair of heels that they will gradually break in and form to your foot shape and become more comfortable each wearing. Then the more times that you wear your heels you will be able to extend the amount of time that you can wear them comfortably. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

The way I've read to handle stairs is to place the entire foot onto the stairs evenly, toe and heel and to hold onto the railing. That is how I go up and down the stairs to my apartment. I've gone up before by placing just my toes on the stairs like how you do, jwhite44 and I've felt a little unstable doing it and I could see it being very dangerous to climb like that if you are carrying something heavy, to much chance of falling backwards. That said I saw a woman at my work wearing mid-heels climb the stairs with just her toes on the step and while it didn't look very good it got her up them. Climbing and descending stairs in heels by placing the entire foot on the step isn't as fast as wearing flats or climbing with just the toes on the step but it is safer and if you're wearing heels you probably aren't in a major hurry as they do tend to slow you down a bit.

Just do what I do and use the lift! To answer your question Jamie, wearing heels around the house is totally different to wearing them in the street. Each hour you can last around the house equals about a hundred yards in the street so therefore your 5.5 inch heels will last about a hundred yards before you will need to take them off. As others have said, you need to start with much lower heels as you will not enjoy the experience one bit otherwise. Remember that if you cannot wear heels of that height indefinitely then your walking will be badly affected drawing attention to yourself and possibly adverse reactions. The key to successful heeling is to be comfortable and make it look as if you have been doing it for ever. The buzz of going out in heels for the first time comes from two sources: Confidence and the tactile sensations. I am a very experienced heeler (almost 20 years) and I wouldn't dream of wearing anything more than 4" unless I was on my way to a venue where I am going to be doing enough sitting. Take last night as an example, I went out in girl mode to a pub and wore 5.5" FMPs because I knew I would be sitting most of the evening.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

We are not trying to discourage you from wearing those heels out if you want, but Dr. Shoe is not the only one here that has suggested a lower heel to start streetheeling with. We are only thinking of your safety as well as the joy you will get for the first outing using a lower heel. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!