Ballet Heels

Jezebel

What do you feel about ballet heels?  

562 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel about ballet heels?

• I love them and wear them!
    • I like how they look on others but don't wear them myself.
    • I don't really care for them.

• 2 weeks later...

After more practise I find I can now walk a little in my ballet boots, but the ouch pouches just aren't enough to stop my toes hurting, so have taken the plunge and ordered some Leo's no 4 gel pads. If what others say is right, these should make it a lot easier. :winkiss: Seems like shortening the heel by 5 t0 10mm might also be a help, then you really could walk longer distances. Going to try it.

• 3 weeks later...

After having worn my ballet heels quite a lot, it would appear that my ankle is now quite a bit more flexible.

I was driving yesterday, in a pair of 6 inch heels, and realised that I can now put my feet flat on the floor of the car whilst sitting down very comfortably, something that I could only ever do in 5.5 inch heels prior to wearing the ballets!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3232/3021029685_e7a6c19c91_b.jpg

Remove the heel tips carefully (so they can be reused) and then peel back the leather coving the heel itself. The heel is made of steel, so measure up properly, and then remove the required height with a hacksaw. Re-cover the heels with the leather, trim, and attached to heel with glue. Replace heel tips. Takes about 30 minutes, 15 minutes per shoe.

How do you take length off the heels and still make them look normal? I find the heels on my ballet boots are just a little too long also.

Too lazy to look myself, however, there was a recent (11/10/2008 or later) post about a youtube post with a woman walkin quite well in ballet shoes (I made a comment about it). While on youtube, if you look at all her other videos, one of them shows the woman's father cutting down the heel, with a lot of closeups and individual steps.

If you like ballet boots, you'll love her videos, so even if you don't find the one I'm talking about immediately, you'll still have a good time watching the rest of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been eying ballet boots for a very long time (few months now) ever since I discovered the Devious brand of shoes. I actually went to a store in San Francisco where they had ballet heels. They were made by Little Shoe Box too, but there were only 2 styles (knee highs and ankle) and the ankles were about a size too big and the knee highs were a size too small. I was totally going to buy them too.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

While asthetically speaking, they do not look nearly as nice as an ultra high pump, I am sure I'll talk myself into getting a pair soon...

Personally I disagree with you. To me, an ultra-high pump seems just too much to me, but I guess others can say the same for ballet heels. But hey, each to his/her own, right? :thumbsup:

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

I was thinking of adding a toe box to my Devious 2025 ankle ballet boots. Kind of like the mod. Pata did to hers. I wouldn't make mine as pointed but a bit more rounded. I think the rounded toe box fits a man better than pointed. I think Pata's modified ballet boots are more stylish than the ultra high heel pumps I have seen on this site and others. Well that's just my thinking. Dr Who 3

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so the website (snaz75.com) is having a sale to get 15% off and this makes the particular pair of ballets that I want 100 dollars. Which is more than I can afford entirely, but they're not gunna be this cheap for awhile, right? ;-)

http://www.snaz75.com/pl-ballet-1020.html

Anyways, my question is do these seem like a good beginner pair? I know that the easiest to walk in are thigh-highs, but I don't have that kind of money. I went with these over certain other styles that had a more open enclosure (as opposed to going above the ankles with these) because I think they would keep my foot more in the proper shape to wear them. Does that make sense? Any advice?

I have thought about buying a pair of knee-highs. They do have more of an appeal for me. I'm just wondering if the brand in general is quality. I know it may not be the best, but I just want to get a second opinion.

:grin: This week I received ma ballets, I tried them and... no walk were possible ;-) Someone has got some "tricks" to help me and make the walk more confortable? My toes are hurting... :w00t2:

:grin:

This week I received ma ballets, I tried them and... no walk were possible ;-)

Someone has got some "tricks" to help me and make the walk more confortable?

My toes are hurting... :w00t2:

I don't have my own pair, but it seems as though everyone else has said to put some padding in the toes. Maybe get some inserts and cut them so there is just enough for some support. You could also use tissue or something very soft. But make sure it's dense, so it does actually support you.

Also, make sure to cut your nails. That could end badly.

I don't know what to tell you man. I don't even have any. What you could do is go to a dance store and ask for some padding there. Im sure they could oblige.

the 1020's have good support for your ankle, so they will do well as your first pair. I have many pairs from Devious, and while I tend to do most of my walking in knee high boots the ankle ones are just fine. ;-) I highly recommend going to dancewear shops and finding gell type toe pads. Ones with a fabric coating over gell will be easier to deal with then full gel, but you can always put a little baby powder over the gel to let you slide em all the way through the boot. I actually moved a step past point shoe pads and have been using point shoes inside the boots. Had to go 2 sizes up, but I just spent over an hour on/off my feet walking around a crowded club and am not too sore today, hehe. Good luck, if your first type of padding doesnt work out try something else, everyone's feet are diferent. And, just to make sure you know, it's not going to be 'comfortable' to walk in these, but pain itself is a sign of a problem. You need to fill in the gaps and make things very snug/tight. Good luck Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

I don't know what to tell you man. I don't even have any. What you could do is go to a dance store and ask for some padding there. Im sure they could oblige.

=> I found something really great:

http://qualitygermanautoparts.com/Roll%20Bar%20Padding.gif

This is ideal padding for ballet boots, you must cut and adjust a part of it, and ballet boots became, limit comfortable!

;-)

I can walk trhough my home with this system :w00t2:

• 3 weeks later...

Ive just recently received my first pair of ballet boots after waiting many months, well 2 but it felt like more, for them to arrive... it would seem depending on your foot size they are like gold dust in the uk. Having tried them on for the first time last night i can hand on heart say i really didnt think they would be that difficult to stand up in, and here i am hoping to train to the point of walking.. errmmm yes. They are stunningly beautiful boots and i am so glad that i have them i just hope that my dedication and determination gets me through to my end goal.

Ive just recently received my first pair of ballet boots after waiting many months, well 2 but it felt like more, for them to arrive... it would seem depending on your foot size they are like gold dust in the uk.

Having tried them on for the first time last night i can hand on heart say i really didnt think they would be that difficult to stand up in, and here i am hoping to train to the point of walking.. errmmm yes.

They are stunningly beautiful boots and i am so glad that i have them i just hope that my dedication and determination gets me through to my end goal.

which ballet boots?

i can't wait until i finally break down and pay the money for a pair. i've been craving them for so long...

which ballet boots?

i can't wait until i finally break down and pay the money for a pair. i've been craving them for so long...

I have purchsed the devious 2020, i tried initially to get the 1020's as i had been advised these are easier as a first boot, but i couldnt get this boot in the uk in my sie for a price i was willing to pay so had to go for the knee length one, which do look stunning. They are a tad difficult for me to do up, but that could be due to me being corseted.. im sure ill find it easier with pratcise...

Ive seen some stunning ones from punative shoes, but they are pricey especially as the pound is so weak at the moment... so they will be my reward if i get to stand in my current boots for longer than a nano second...

Once I actually get a pair of ballet boots I will actually for the 1020's. I was actually considering purchasing them a few weeks back but I wound up not having enough money. =( ... Good luck to you getting proficient in walking those. They would be an eye catcher if you could wear them out I'm sure.

I have purchsed the devious 2020, i tried initially to get the 1020's as i had been advised these are easier as a first boot, but i couldnt get this boot in the uk in my sie for a price i was willing to pay so had to go for the knee length one, which do look stunning. They are a tad difficult for me to do up, but that could be due to me being corseted.. im sure ill find it easier with pratcise...

Ive seen some stunning ones from punative shoes, but they are pricey especially as the pound is so weak at the moment... so they will be my reward if i get to stand in my current boots for longer than a nano second...

How much are the ones from Punitive, in American dollars? And what's the site you got your 2020's and where you could get the 1020's? Im finally letting my account recover, but I plan to get a gift card and order me a pair for myself :w00t2: But not for awhile, a looooong while ;-)

Formally "HHDude"