Ballet Heels

Jezebel

What do you feel about ballet heels?  

562 members have voted

1. 1. What do you feel about ballet heels?

• I love them and wear them!
    • I like how they look on others but don't wear them myself.
    • I don't really care for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. First post here. I'm just getting used to the new Ballet Boots. Can only walk a few steps so far and toes hurt a lot. I'm planning to get some toe pads to try to sort this. Will post an update when I can.

Hi all.

First post here.

I'm just getting used to the new Ballet Boots. Can only walk a few steps so far and toes hurt a lot. I'm planning to get some toe pads to try to sort this. Will post an update when I can.

Would be appreciated :)

I probably need to sell my pair. They're overly too big, and I have to stuff (well, fold) the toe boxes with a sock each very often. I mean, One would need to do that, as well as getting a size larger... I don't know, I think I got it two sizes larger instead of exact size, haha.

Formally "HHDude"

hhdude: If your pair is too large (by 1.5-2 sizes) you might be able to try my trick of wearing a pair of pointe shoes inside of the boots. This provides proper support for your foot, and helps to protect the boot toe area from folding in on itself. Ebay usually has used pointe shoes cheap, just research how to determine your size.

(formerly known as "JimC")

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At first I thought that they were silly, but the more I see of them, I am curious about them and might give one a try. I am able to wear only one shoe and use crutches, which is holding me back. I will appreciate any advice from those who have worn them. E

At first I thought that they were silly, but the more I see of them, I am curious about them and might give one a try. I am able to wear only one shoe and use crutches, which is holding me back. I will appreciate any advice from those who have worn them.

E

Technically, would have thought only wearing one is no problem; there are a series of videos on Youtube with women with only one leg in Ballet heels and crutches; there have been some recent posts with links to such videos.

Not wishing to be flippant but Ballet heels by Pleaser / Devious aren't really handed so you would be able to wear both.

Have a go

R

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has been a long time since I posted anything so I thought I would update. I have had to remodify my bboots back to original heel to sole spacing as I couldn't make my feet/legs flex enough to keep from bending my knees with the close spacing ( 2"). I also have taken up a new hobby barefoot running and it is in a bit of a conflict with my bboots but I think I will adjust. Yes running barefoot on pavement (public roads). I wasn't sure I could bring my boots back to the original shape but so far all is well however after taking time off from my boots to go running I have lost some walking ability. (mostly upper leg strength) I hope to one day be able to walk about as well as the girls on the many great videos. later. Dr Who 3

I'd love to try a pair of ballet boots. Does anyone have a suggestion on a reasonably-priced pair that would make a good starter pair?

For a 'starter' pair, I would suggest either 'Devious' by Pleaser, or 'Kassiopeya' ballet heels. You can find them at these respective sites:

www.pleaserusa.com

www.kassiopeya.de

As been posted in other Threads - 'Pleaser's' stitching is hard inside the shoe - and 'Kassiopeya's' heels are not very strong - so - not too good for walking. However I don't think you'll be that advanced for a while....:silly:

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I emailed pleaser yesterday about if the ballet boots are truly lockable or is the padlock just for show just to back up what the shop told me and what someone said on this thread. As far as I can gather they are truly lockable!!!!:silly:

I emailed pleaser yesterday about if the ballet boots are truly lockable or is the padlock just for show just to back up what the shop told me and what someone said on this thread.

As far as I can gather they are truly lockable!!!!:silly:

No they aren't lockable. The strap is there for decoration only and is fixed to the boot by a velcro strip on the opposite side of the boot to the padlock.

They can, of course, be modified to lock, by sewing the free end to the boot yourself.

Hi

Im new here so I dont really know how this works but I try to manage somehow, this my first reply to post.

My husband gave Pleaser 3020 tighhigh ballet boots as present and I love them.

Thats great. Its wonderful that you have joyed us. Please let us know what you like and what you think about high heel, if that is not asking to much. Thank you for comming. We realy like the Ladies in put. Thank a so much. :-)))

• 1 month later...

You know, I was curious about these before I sold my ballet boots a month ago.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/profoot-pump-pouches-amazing-wraparound-toe-cushions/ID=prod6031328-product

From Walgreens surprisingly, but I was doubtful of them working effectively or not. Any one know of these "toe cushions"?

Formally "HHDude"

I'm happy to tell that in the last days I was able to walk some meters within ballet heels without struggling or leg cramps! I'm currently using 2 thick sport socks for each foot and some foam next to the big toes so that all toes are carrying some weight. It seems to work fine :silly:

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm kind of new, but I love my ballet boots and can walk in them, so thought I'd chime in on this discussion a little. I've tried on a number of different makes and styles of them, and am currently walking about in a pair of Devious knee boots having found those the most comfortably constructed for my foot shape, given that they are a nice snug fit around the heel - this stops my feet from slipping down toward the toe so readily, and as such makes walking in them for longer periods much easier. I've tried some Kassiopeya ankle boots too, but found these much looser and harder to walk in - though they might have been ok in a smaller size (fingers crossed, because I'd give my eye teeth for a pink pair). I've found that as long as the fit is good, that a pair of socks and a foam toe pouch is perfectly adequate for support and cushioning.

The thing I notice about the design of most ballet boots is that there is not much curve in the arch. This puts a lot more strain on ankles as the heel base (of the foot itself) is at a higher angle than it would otherwise have been. Have you come across any modern ballet boots with an exaggerated curve in the arch? There were some made in the 1950/1960s. Some photos survive of Nichelle Nichols modelling them in the US. I have seen no mention of this type of design in recent years. By "exaggerated", I generally mean of the proportions used in the "Super Arch" shoes from 6IHF for example (they make and sell only shoes, not ballet boots).

Sadly I have not found anything at all like this in a modern ballet heel...I've seen pictures of the sort of thing you describe (also with a reinforced toe box, a la pointe shoes), but nothing that one could actually buy. Perhaps needless to say, If I ever found someone who could manufacture such a thing, I would lock them in my house and get them to make me ALL the shoes (mwahahaha).

Yes, to the reinforced toe boxes too! Some of the LSB boots were a little bit like that, but not as defined as the stuff from 30/40+ years earlier. If they were to reappear, you'd have to form an orderly queue in the normal British way - 'cus I'd be there first. :smile:

I think I'm going to have to find a custom shoe maker and coerce them into making me something like that...mainly because they seem to be more durable than off the rack ballet heels, which I can't see standing up to all that much wear. I don't think they were produced with walking in them in mind, really.

Natacha Marro (in London) used to have access to, perhaps even owned (maybe still does?), some of the ballet boot lasts from when LSB closed down. However, having seen those modern-style boots when made by LSB, they weren't quite curvy enough in the arch for my tastes. It's the lasts that cost the money: often double or treble the price of the boot that is going to be formed on them. The majority of ballet boots are not made for standing or walking that is for sure. They often have heels that are very flimsy or that are too long and kick out, while others have heels that are attached at the wrong angle and bend under. The boots often have poor foot shape, are too wide at the ankle, and have flexure in the toe box leading to crushing, and a number of other defects.