Mens Shoe Designer Interview-11th April 2008

Thighboots2

Guys & Gals,

Here is a link to an interview with Terry and Liz deHavilland who design mens shoes. Their current collection is only with 6cm Cuban Heels.

Link to the article is http://www.fuk.co.uk/design/designer_interview_terry_and_liz_de_havilland

Link to the shop website is http://www.archieeyebrows.co.uk/index.htm

Heels are coming for sure, but as I have written before, don't expect them to be super high, or thin.

There are a couple of nice designs and at a more sensible price compared to YSL/Gucci. See attached grab from their website. given they state the heel is 6cm, when you look at my avatar which is 7cm, they do seem to be higher. The shop isn't too far from me, so I may well pop in one lunchtime and report back to you all.

Simon.

post-1002-133522858357_thumb.jpg

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

This is great! I love those boots. I would wear those to work and everywhere. I don't care if the heels aren't that high or narrow, I just hope this trend toward high heeled shoes for men continues and grows. Thighboots2... Thank you for sharing this with us.

The sizing table on the archieeyebrows website is confusing. For example: UK8=EU43=US9. While nothing is 100% certain I usually take UK8=EU42=US9.5 (this is US mens, US womens would be 10)

The sizing table on the archieeyebrows website is confusing. For example: UK8=EU43=US9.

While nothing is 100% certain I usually take UK8=EU42=US9.5 (this is US mens, US womens would be 10)

As you say, nothing is certain, but your conversion doesn't seem right to me. In my experience, men's US sizes are usually about a half-size smaller than the UK equivalent, certainly not more than a full size smaller. When you see 'international' branded shoes (such as trainers) in the box on the shelf, they are invariably labelled with the various countries' sizes and the US/UK conversion is much as I suggest. Given the huge numbers sold, I'm sure they wouldn't go on doing this if it was totally wrong. So, UK8 = US men's 8.5 or 9 = US women's 10.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this Thighboots. Yet another source of fashionable men's shoes with heels.

I have the famous YSL Johnny Boots you have in your avatar Thighboots, and would like another pair of something similar, so these might fit the bill if they look good on.

Has anyone been by their "Show Room" to see the shoes first hand yet?

I tried to call to check their opening hours, but just got a answer machine. They did leave a message on my voice mail telling me that it was best to call before visiting - so I assume they are not a shop open normal hours. But they also said that they are just opening a new shop in D'Arbly Street, Soho.

A google on Archie Eyebrows brought up this page on Edward Sexton. All the guys in the pictures (pics 6, 10, 15, 20, 21, & 23) are wearing Archie Eyebrows men's Amechi style with the 6cm heel: http://www.fuk.co.uk/london_fashion_week_autumn_winter_2008/edward_sexton

Looking at these pictures, I'm not so sure, but it's hard to get an idea of what they really look like on.

Any comments?

• 3 months later...

OK, So I have finally got round to going to Archie Eyebrows to peruse the footwear.

Now despite information on the website, the showroom is not currently at Kinsland Road but it is located in the rear of Sir Tom Baker's shop in D'Arlby Street, Soho. Small shop but very nice. Sit Tom Baker is a gents tailor and designer and the shoes are a locical extension of the goods on offer. Kingsland Road will open as a shop within the next 6 months.

So to the footwear. I tried both the LENNY boot and the AMECHI shoe. Both are styled with a pointed/almond style toe and sport a 65mm stacked cuban heel. The designs as shown on the webpage are all on display and are so much better in the hand, particularly the AMECHI pyton. For both styles I tried on it was necessary to go up on size. I usually fit easily into a EU44, but with the toe shape an EU45 was perfect. I was pleasantly surprised to find the price of both shoes I looked at was £175 as opposed to the website price of £240. Guy in the shop says they are selling steadily.

Size range goes from EU42 through to EU47 so big feet are catered for. If you wish any variations, as Terry DeHavilland makes the shoes, this can be accomodated. They may even make a higher cuban if you wish, although I didn't inquire about this at the time. Silly, I should have.

I settled on the LENNY boot as I don't want to knock out my YSL boots too quickly. I am malso very taken with the AMECHI black as these will be perfect to go with my "Black Tie" as the design is a mix of calf and patent leathers with patent laces.

So, if you want a reasonable height heel that is definitively a gentlemens shoe, you know where to go.

Sir Tom Baker was in the shop and a nice chap he is too.

Cheers,

Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

OK, So I have finally got round to going to Archie Eyebrows to peruse the footwear.

Thanks for the report, Simon - interesting. I like the Lenny boots in the style you bought and can see that the Amechi in black would be good with black tie, as you suggest, although the heel is quite distinctive and might raise a few (Archie) eyebrows in formal dinner surroundings. I don't care much for the other Amechi styles - very smart but a little too 'loud' for me.

Those heels look higher than 65mm; perhaps the shape is misleading the eye? Are they really the same height as the Fred boots we both have?

The sizing sounds a trifle suspect; I would have expected a 45 to equate to UK11 rather than UK10 (see the Archie chart). The fact that you had to buy a 45 rather confirms this, pointed toes or not.

Mind how you go!