What do you do?

Hi all, I have a bit of a dilemma, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. When my uni course and temp job ends this summer, I have nothing to do - I can't think of anything I have the qualifications for, or a job that wouldn't bore me to death. I'm terrified, I have no idea what's going to happen. What do you guys do? Looking for inspiration x

I would have a word with family and close friends, either from Uni or ones back home. (depends if you moved there or not, of course) It may also be a good idea to have a chat with the careers people at the Uni, and your tutors and lecturers - they will know about past students and the typical roles they have gone into after gaining their degree, and will probably be able to provide quite an insight into the areas in which you will probably be interested in. Good luck.

Well, I'm a personal trainer with a factory job and a business at home which my wife runs. She is a seamstress and makes crafts, florals, etc. Getting into health and fitness is a lot of fun and you meet some interesting people and more and more people are getting into it. Or you could just sale shoes.LOL

real men wear heels

Hi all, I have a bit of a dilemma, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it. When my uni course and temp job ends this summer, I have nothing to do - I can't think of anything I have the qualifications for, or a job that wouldn't bore me to death. I'm terrified, I have no idea what's going to happen. What do you guys do? Looking for inspiration x

SarahLou,

Sounds like time to take a step back to consider your options. You know what your strengths are and although qualifications are usually toward a specific function, they do not mean you have to seek a job that suits the qualifications.

As you are at Uni, I presume you are doing a degree of some sort. More than anything else this demonstrates to an employer that you have a brain that you know how to use. What you lack is life experience, and its no piece of cake to aquire it. The two combined will make you a desirable package for any employer.

Thus I would recommend a year out going to do a job somewhere you would like to be.

For example, I love holidaying in the Maldives and last visit I learned to dive. Wonderful experience. The Dive school are always looking for staff. Its full board, you would learn a life long skill, you would be leading and teaching people, its sunny and warm, and best of all you would get paid for learning some invaluable life skills. The only downside of this particular job was that you would not wear heels at all. This was exactly what one of the girls at he dive school was doing and was having a wonderful year. http://www.prodivers.com

Were I to have my life again, then I would not hesitate in a break between study and full time employment, such as I have outlined above, to aquire some life skills. I will encourage my son to do this in about 7 years time.

What ever you do, do not try "Holiday Rep". It usually ends in tears.

Good luck for the future, and let us know what you do.

TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

as someone who runs his own business, the advice i gave my kids was do something you are passionate about, cos that way you wont mind long hours and the sh*t jobs and conditions you'll have to put up with till you make it. If it's something you are passionate about, you will still keep interest and learn from it, and be determined to be better than your 'boss' ! Look and learn, observation and experience is (sorry !!) often better than book learning as it is the real world, however a lot of companies expect a degree just as a statement of ability to learn. Even consider getting a regular job to pay the bills and start your own on the side and stop the regular job when your own one has proved itself. Please keep in touch !!

Many people take their university courses to acquire skills in a line of work they want to do - teaching, engineering, architecture, music, finance, design, health or fitness, etc., etc. Teaching in public schools often requires special education courses and a certificate from the state. If you just want to work for the money and do other things for enjoyment, there are sales clerks (in shops), waiter/waitresses, tour guides, and more. They may not pay well, at least to start. If you are attractive with a nice personality, apply for cruise staff with a cruise ship company and do some traveling for a while. They work keeping the passengers happy and busy/entertained. Then there are airline cabin staff, counter jobs, etc. If you are a good dancer, apply to be a dance teacher with a large studio or chain. They will train you in their steps, etc. There's lots out there, even for people without training in a special trade.

Thanks all for your answers! Im an studying General Illustration. But, since starting it I seem to have lost my passion for art! Took all the joy out of it. I suppose I will end up just working for money, rather than having a big career - and will have to wait to see how it all pans out. x

Sarah: It is very hard to give you an answer you can believe. At 20, you have so many options and opportunities before you. Many of us here in our 40's (or 30-50 for that matter) are nostalgic for such carefree times as you may well have. The best advice you can take is to look in your heart and do whatever the hell you feel like it that doesn't hurt yourself or others.

• 1 month later...

I think thedesigner has a great idea. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose. As long as it is something you want and like to do. In 1980, I went to work for a company with the idea that this is only temporary until I find my niche in life. Almost 30 years later with the same company, my job has evolved so much that, with the exception of some company politics, I thoroughly enjoy every minute of my work. What ever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.;)

• 1 year later...

Hi Sarah, Well it does not matter what you do in the short term as nothing last forever and the only way to find out what you really want to do is to try a few things out first to see what kindles you interest, there are so many things out there for you to try and without knowing much about you it would be hard to select one job for you to try....just get out there and sample what you can...hope this helps Best wishes :-)

Engineer/ CNC machine setter . I get payed very low for what i do and i USED to enjoy my job even with low pay because of nice hours and mostly nice people. A while back my boss changed and i've hated the place ever since. Things like i get given a ticket to machine some thing to size it do it to his ticket his . Then the job s wrong because his sizes are wrong and ITS MY FAULT! :winkiss: You try and get your point across and this guy just shouts at you and tell you " you should have known that wouldnt work....." . Anyway i really want to take a new path before its to late but i have no idea what i want to do for the rest of my life. I just know its not this. Sorry to go on abit maybe i should have just put engineer/cnc and not a short story.

Started out at 21 flying really big airplanes. Flew them all over the world for 10 years until I got sick. Can't (don't) fly anymore. Started and sold three different businesses and I am now "a government money getter." I write proposals for government contracts and grants specializing in community water and sewer development.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

oh so thats your old call-sign, I see..............:wave:"Rodger Bubba136, go to flight level four zero zero zero, maintain speed of five-three zero, have a pleasant flight, this is Edwards tower, out........."