High Heel Icons

Patent Red

Who from the list below is a stiletto icon?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who from the list below is a stiletto icon?

• Victoria Beckham
    • Lorraine Kelly
    • Kate Middleton
    • Kate Moss
    • Elizabeth Hurley
    • Nicole Kidman
    • Tamara Mellon
    • Mariah Carey
    • Someone else?
    • No-one
    • Betty Page
    • I don't understand the question

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I wouldn't class many of those people as true 'icons'.

To me an 'icon' is someone who is universally associated with their style the world over - and generations over. Someone who is recognised as representing high fashion, class, elegance, style and taste.

So - my choices for 'high heels icons' would include such women as Elizabeth Taylor, Sophia Loren, Eartha Kitt, Kim Novak, Tippi Hedren, Gina Lolobrigida, Ann Margret, Audrey Hepburn, Joan Crawford, Rita Hayworth, Cyd Charisse (the first woman to have her legs insured for $1 million), Barbara Stanwyck, Jayne Mansfield, Diana Dors, Joan Collins....

...and of course, Marilyn Monroe.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I think MsPussyinboots has it right about the level of Womanly style and allure someone needs in order to become an ICON. Sadly not many people here will recall Tippy Hedren, Sophia Loren or Kim Novak, etc, but these Women had style dripping from every pore... As a man who adores elegant, intelligent Women I have to say that Victoria Beckham and kate Moss don't quite cut it... No matter what shoes they wear!

"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." Nietzsche.

To me an 'icon' is someone who is universally associated with their style the world over - and generations over. Someone who is recognised as representing high fashion, class, elegance, style and taste.

So - my choices for 'high heels icons' would include such women as Elizabeth Taylor, Sophia Loren, Eartha Kitt, Kim Novak, Tippi Hedren, Gina Lolobrigida, Ann Margret, Audrey Hepburn, Joan Crawford, Rita Hayworth, Cyd Charisse (the first woman to have her legs insured for $1 million), Barbara Stanwyck, Jayne Mansfield, Diana Dors, Joan Collins....

I can relate to every one of those mentioned above and have seen everyone of them in their prime and in high heels. Then again, I'm almost 57 years old.

Thank you for bringing back some fond memories of some beautiful, classy ladies in high heels.

Lady Gaga.

/runs

Yeah thats what ya should do :) :)

IMO the perfect pair of high heels are worn by Susan Wayland. Unfortunally I currently can't find a free picture anywhere :/

And as I said, Dita van Teese wears the MOST different pairs of great heels.

To be honest I'm sticking by my gaga suggestion. Here's why:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/lady-gaga-flatly-refuses-low-shoes_1134081

"I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything."

and:

Although she is flattered her fans choose to dress like her, Gaga has urged her followers to find their own sense of style and celebrate their individuality.

She said: "Be whatever you want to be, it's not about emulating me... it's all right to be different."

Think what you will about her music and her public persona, but you have to admit, those sentiments would seem to be in line with this particular forum's ideology. Also, she's managed to pull off what few singers can, built an image for herself and sticking to it. Madonna v2.0, this time with more wigs. :) I'm not a big gaga fan but just had to back her up here.

To be honest I'm sticking by my gaga suggestion. Here's why:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/story/lady-gaga-flatly-refuses-low-shoes_1134081

and:

Think what you will about her music and her public persona, but you have to admit, those sentiments would seem to be in line with this particular forum's ideology. Also, she's managed to pull off what few singers can, built an image for herself and sticking to it.

:) I'm not a big gaga fan but just had to back her up here.

Lady GaGa is waay more talented than Madonna. She is classically trained, having learned to play the piano from the age of 4, and was performing her own songs in New York live clubs by the age of 14.

At 17, she was admitted to New York University's Tisch School of The Arts, studying Music and Drama and by the age of 19 she had her first recording contract.

She also writes 99% of her material, which 'Madge' does not do.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Lady GaGa is waay more talented than Madonna. She is classically trained, having learned to play the piano from the age of 4, and was performing her own songs in New York live clubs by the age of 14.

At 17, she was admitted to New York University's Tisch School of The Arts, studying Music and Drama and by the age of 19 she had her first recording contract.

She also writes 99% of her material, which 'Madge' does not do.

No argument there, just had to back her up as a new "high heel icon". She's always wearing them, and those odd ones from that Japanese designer whose name escapes me. I just put her in the same general category as Madonna only because she does more than just sing. Not due to talent.

No argument there, just had to back her up as a new "high heel icon". She's always wearing them, and those odd ones from that Japanese designer whose name escapes me. I just put her in the same general category as Madonna only because she does more than just sing. Not due to talent.

Agreed...no offence intended.:)

• 1 month later...

Goddesses down from Olympus for a brief romp are in a separate class, so Liz & Sophia are out of the running for this poll. Among this list, I have to go with Cyd Charisse; not only looked great but REALLY knew how to use those $MM legs! But for an ICON, Bettie Page really did start the whole modern HH thing, if anyone noticed at the time

• 5 months later...

I am a big fan of Emma Stone and she is about as much into heels as I am. She even seems to like wearing heels grocery shopping sometimes (like me).

http://www.abalook.com/journal/2011/4/17/more-emma-stone.html

Christine.

Thank you for sharing this with us. I love Emma Stone and especially her last movie, "Easy A." She seems to be very down-to-earth and who doesn't love that smile.

• 1 month later...

Much as I am loathe to admit it, on the strength of her wonderful appearance at the recent Royal Wedding, I have to say that Victoria Beckham is the closest to a fashion/high heels 'icon' that we have seen in recent years.

She is heavily pregnant, she wore a beautifully elegant outfit coupled with madly high heels - and she looked simply fabulous....!!

(Her husband looked pretty cute too.....*swoon*)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fan of Bettie. She is my favourite sex symbol. Style, grace, sexuality and , mainly, always smiling so charmy and sexy.... Nowadays, Xtina Aguilera and Rihanna.

Elegance is my second name

Though I'm not very fond of the woman, I voted for Beckham. She is ALWAYS wearing the highest heels she can possibly wear. Always. It's hard to believe that she has ever worn flats in her life. It takes a certain amount of commitment to tip around in stilettos ALL of the time.