Cuban heel revival?

Puffer

According to a well-balanced article in yesterday's Mail on Sunday magazine, the UK is starting to experience a cuban heel revival. The prediction is that cuban heels will be commonplace on men's shoes by the end of this year. The magazine article included pictures of such shoes from Dior, Patrick Cox and others with heels of up to 2.5"; the text (but not the pics) can be seen at http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/live/live.html?in_article_id=431625&in_page_id=1889

I well remember when 'Beatle boots' and similar cuban heeled men's shoes were popular in the UK in the early-mid 60s and they have never completely died out since then. It will be interesting to see whether this fashion revival does indeed reach (if not saturate) most high streets - my guess is that it will, as we are already seeing (to my eyes) lighter and more elegant male footwear with pointed toes. I wonder if there will also be a renaissance of the true winklepicker, with or without a higher heel? Many of the popular ladies' boot styles with a semi-pointed or very pointed toe are very similar to what men used to wear and look eminently suitable for current male street wear, especially given the excuse that cuban heels are 'in' again. It isn't that much of a leap for men from a 1.5" block heel to a 2.5" cuban, and from there to something more slender (perhaps stiletto) of 3" or so.

I imagine we will welcome anything that narrows the gap between shoe styles intended for (if not always worn by) one sex. Maybe in a year or two we will be wondering what all the fuss about men-in-heels was?

That's definitely some good news. I wonder what some more progressive designers who "believe in" androgyny will offer. I hope they're gonna push the envelope *a little bit further* :wink:. Oh, and this is my 200th post. Wanna join me up on a virtual beer? :D

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

Funnily enough - I saw a guy wearing 2" cuban heels today on Victoria Street. They were chelsea boots - I was beginning to think that's one heeled guy a week! (Even if it's only the past two weeks.)

An update per two comments on Mail on Sunday website today:

Nice to know I'm ahead of the fashion! I've been wearing shoes with two-inch cuban heels for years - I like wearing them, I also find them much more comfortable than flat shoes, and they don't make any difference to the way I walk. I don't wear them for extra height, I just like 'em! Let's see three and even four inches - why should the women have all the fun?

- Mike, Brighton, England

Cuban heels are cool. But why stop at 2.5 inches? If you're going to take off, then do it right and offer male heels in all heights. As you said, "There’s a long tradition of men wearing high heels," so bring it on back. While you're talking celebrities, add Nicholas Cage. I seen a picture of him in cuban heels.

If you want it to catch on, you might want to lose the term "dandy" and replace it with something cool, like, cool.

It's all good.

- Inscapable, Ramstein, Germany

I wonder if these correspondents are members here - they seem our type!

An update per two comments on Mail on Sunday website today:

Nice to know I'm ahead of the fashion! I've been wearing shoes with two-inch cuban heels for years - I like wearing them, I also find them much more comfortable than flat shoes, and they don't make any difference to the way I walk. I don't wear them for extra height, I just like 'em! Let's see three and even four inches - why should the women have all the fun?

- Mike, Brighton, England

Cuban heels are cool. But why stop at 2.5 inches? If you're going to take off, then do it right and offer male heels in all heights. As you said, "There’s a long tradition of men wearing high heels," so bring it on back. While you're talking celebrities, add Nicholas Cage. I seen a picture of him in cuban heels.

If you want it to catch on, you might want to lose the term "dandy" and replace it with something cool, like, cool.

It's all good.

Hi Puffer,

last night I wrote also an answer to "Mail on Sunday". But it didn't appear until now. I said that I'm not interested in 1.5'' cuban heels anymore. That I'm preferring higher female fashion styles.

Too much for this newspaper?!

micha (*grinning*)

PS: They prolonged a certification. Alternative(?) I had to enter a code for submitting my answer. I entered the displayed code definetly correctly.

The best fashion is your own fashion!

It's all good.

Dr1819 probably. :wink:

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

The problem with the fashion industry regarding men's heeling is that it tends to look at everything as either a 1960s or 1970s revival. It does that about just about everything, it tries to tie it to the past in order to justify and classify it. Thing is, it gets things wrong in the classification and it also gets things wrong regarding what is happening at any particulat time. For example, the styles for women in the early 00s were basically revived and mutated early 1960s and early 1980s revivals. The only thing really out of place was the small bellbottoms on the trews, as the trews in those eras worn with stilettos were skin tight all the way down the leg("spray-ons"). The media then tried the so-called "luxe"-look, but it had been around in the earlier part of the decade and was not the revival of the Eisenhower era as the industry tried to paint it. They said it was a rejection of Spears and the like. True, but not the way they wanted it to be. The industry were already trying to revive the floral prints and chunky heels that were a staple of the early 1970s, so the "luxe" was a spasm before the inevitable return of platforms and whatever. Regarding men's heels: The clothing styles mentioned in the article are from the early part of the decade(plus bells), including the heels. Since the media doesn't like to admit the wearing of things by males other than FUBU, "Tims," and shaven heads, they will again discuss something after it has pretty much disappeared. They are trying to promote the grunge revival, which FUBU fits neatly into, and also promote a sort of neo-glam revival at the same time. I don't think the spasm of sharkskin suits and cuban heels will deter them from the platform revival. In the early 1980s, a lot of men wore a sort of cuban heel(around four inches) oxford. It was a popular style with bands back then, along with stilettos. I never see any mention of that in discussions of the 1980s. I just don't think the media will allow men's heeling as anything more than a perversion. Also, proclaiming a love of women's shoes in general will not help, as it plays into the accusation that all heeling men are necessarilly "TG."

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam

I just don't think the media will allow men's heeling as anything more than a perversion. Also, proclaiming a love of women's shoes in general will not help, as it plays into the accusation that all heeling men are necessarilly "TG."

Unless somebody stand up to them of cours the media is going to do that. Personally I am will to bet that line of thinking could be changed more easily today compared to the past.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Then don't call them "women's shoes," or anything like it. Saying "women's shoes" automatically sets up in their minds that the heeling man is trying to be a woman.

"To kiss, pretty Saki, thy shoes' pretty tips, is better than kissing another girl's lips." -Omar Khayyam

Then don't call them "women's shoes," or anything like it. Saying "women's shoes" automatically sets up in their minds that the heeling man is trying to be a woman.

What are you talking about? Those shoes are mine.:academic:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

well I quite agree with you on this dandydude, in that its the way people will look @ this concept- mainly that ALL men are gay (quite untrue) OR that are trying to be TG (again, quite untrue) that want to wear any kind of shoe (or boot) with any kind of heel!:wink: I will always be trying to figure out (well rack my brain then if you will) on how most people will answer you (or any of US that is) when you put to them the question as to WHY high heeled boots (or shoes) should be worn ONLY by women, (& I do quote) "because, they are womens footwear, not MENS!" well, now I ask you all this-WHY are they supposed to BE only for WOMEN!!??:D:fine: it seems to me that no one seems to KNOW the WHY of this, only that they do not have to THINK about it, it seems a lot easier to just "go with the flow" like "well its always been this way" (for a few decades anyhow) or some such crap:angry: I do NOT know how in the hell these "womens styles" are thought up anyways or all this "for him-for her" stuff & a lot of people just follow along like the sheep they are-better not to ask TOO many questions about all the WHYS in life, "follow their lead" I mean, like GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

well I quite agree with you on this dandydude, in that its the way people will look @ this concept- mainly that ALL men are gay (quite untrue) OR that are trying to be TG (again, quite untrue) that want to wear any kind of shoe (or boot) with any kind of heel!:wink: I will always be trying to figure out (well rack my brain then if you will) on how most people will answer you (or any of US that is) when you put to them the question as to WHY high heeled boots (or shoes) should be worn ONLY by women, (& I do quote) "because, they are womens footwear, not MENS!" well, now I ask you all this-WHY are they supposed to BE only for WOMEN!!??:D:fine: it seems to me that no one seems to KNOW the WHY of this, only that they do not have to THINK about it, it seems a lot easier to just "go with the flow" like "well its always been this way" (for a few decades anyhow) or some such crap:angry: I do NOT know how in the hell these "womens styles" are thought up anyways or all this "for him-for her" stuff & a lot of people just follow along like the sheep they are-better not to ask TOO many questions about all the WHYS in life, "follow their lead" I mean, like GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

I think the media promotion of hiphop has a lot to do with it. The attire is gayer than Rob Halford, but the media conviently ignores that fact. Try telling them that women like men to wear heels as a style, and they will ignore you. As for the styles and how they come up with them, they pilfer past eras. The long point stiletto was around in the 1980s previously, for example.

True, demoniaplatforms. True. Like if they was to make some heels for men than look like they was made for men. Know what I'm sayig?

In the early 1980s, there were 4+ inch heel oxfords for men, a lot of musicians wore them. Let me see, the late Rhett Forrester of Riot was one. I'd like to see that again on a mass basis.

I think the media promotion of hiphop has a lot to do with it. The attire is gayer than Rob Halford, but the media conviently ignores that fact. Try telling them that women like men to wear heels as a style, and they will ignore you. As for the styles and how they come up with them, they pilfer past eras. The long point stiletto was around in the 1980s previously, for example.

I learned some time ago that I have to ignore the media and simply be me. You know, there is a difference between those who buy news and those who make news.

Let others run yer life and you won't have one of yer own. Me, I rather lead my own life and let others do the worrying.

Ancient proverb: To thine own self be true.

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

yes, thats true as well. it simply amazes me all this "for him/for her" stuff in just about ANYTHING that is used by the body or WORN by the body in question! as if a different color or slighty different style is supposed to make ANY difference as to WHICH gender uses or wears it!:wink: and please make NO mistake about it, the public BUYS in to it ALL of the time!!(exept people in this forum ofcourse, WE know better, now DONT we!!??:academic: if someone gives me a "strange" look if I pick up high heel boots to maybe wear (or try on to buy) man, I'll tell you all right here & now- I COULD REALLY CARE LESS!!!!!:D I figure that its a BIG planet in a even BIGGER galaxy in a still BIGGER universe, so in all THAT:shocked: it HARDLY matters what someone ELSE may think about you & your fashion choices!! ( & I'm talking about COUNTLESS planets in this galaxy ALONE in a UNIVERSE of COUNTLESS galaxies!!)

For example, the styles for women in the early 00s were basically revived and mutated early 1960s and early 1980s revivals.

Ain't you going to get that when just about all styles have made the pages? I mean, it's not like I've seen anyting today that I ain't seen from 10, 20, 30 years back.

Things ain't gonna change until they make heels for men that don't look like heels for women.

As I said before, there were oxfords with at least 4" heels for men that were worn in the early/mid 1980s. The problem is that when you are talking about heels "for men" not looking like women's heels is the fact that women have taken almost everything under their collective wing, and they have worn shoes with heels that could be construed as being "men's" shoes with heels. A lot of the early 00s women's styles resembled what was made for men in the 1980s. The only things I would really consider as looking like "female shoes" would have to be courts or pumps, and even they originated as men's shoes hundreds of years ago.

Of course they have. That is why the acceptable styles for men are restricted to things so hideous, such as FUBU and "Tims," that no self-respecting woman would want to wear them.