Women in "men's" shoes

The other day, I was invited to go to Sydney with a, female, friend (We live in the outer suburbs of Sydney). My friend was wearing knee high boots.

About halfway through the day, and after much complaining of "my feet hurt" I eventually asked "Would you like to swap shoes?" She agreed and we swapped shoes.

We then continued to walk through the city, me wearing her knee high boots and her wearing my skate shoes.

Although no one said anything to me I did get a LOT of strange looks and found that some people were staring at me.

What is the problem with society? Why can women wear men's shoes without any strange looks while men can't wear women's?

It's the typical society double-standard. It's been said countless times that it seems the ladies can raid the "men's" wardrobe and pillage it for all it's worth, but heaven forbid WE cross the "ladies'" line....even though men were wearing heels before women ever did (yes....they STOLE it from us and made it exclusive to them). What you didn't include in your story was......how did it feel to be walking about in heels all afternoon after switching? Forget the looks, the comments, and the stares......how did it feel to you after all was said and done? I bet it felt awesome. Am I wrong? :-) SQ

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I did leave out part of the story.

When I offered to swap I acted as though I didn't want to and was just being nice (even though I wanted to see what boots were like).

It did feel great walking in the boots.

After an hour I was sitting down waiting for her when she walked up, kicked off my shoes and grabbed the boots (pulling them off me) saying "I want my shoes back." I let her take them but tried to persuade her to give them back by saying "Your not going to start complaining again, are you?"

She put them on and walked off, leaving me to curse to myself for the rest of the day "I shouldn't have let her take them back."

John741:-) Welcome to the Forum. Maybe you should get your own pair of knee high boots. If you wore hers for a while, the fit must have been good. Is this the first time that you wore heels? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Welcome to the heel forum john741. You'll find hhplace a warm and welcoming environment. Hope you make some new friends here and enjoy your stay. So, "What's your favorite drink and what are your favorite heels?" (picture kneehighs sorting through bottles of wine, beer, fresh squeezed juice and ginger ale for your drink).

With reference to your story, I had a similar experience a few years ago. I met a girl from Amsterdam at a club on Bleeker Street. We stayed and talked till 4 am when the club closed. When the lights turned on, we decided to leave together and get some breakfast. Once we were walking on the sidewalk and talking, the subject of shoes came up. At that point, we were strolling into a Brasserie that stays open 24 hours here. Then I asked her what shoe size she was wearing. She said 42. Wow!

Then I said I wear an 11 and believe it or not, these knee high boots are manufactured for women and I find them very, very comfortable. I was wearing a pair of flats. Then I got daring and asked if she wanted to try them on.

She said, "sure." So we swapped boots. She was wearing 3" block heeled boots and they fit me like a glove. After zipping her boots all the way up my leg and eating breakfast, we went for a walk around the Village. Me in her boots and her in my boots.

Until your story I almost forgot about that incident.

As far as theories about why society rejects the idea of men in heels, there is a thread titled Society and Heels that discusses a related issue.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Hi Dawn HH It was the first (and only) time I wore heels. The fit of the boots felt alright but, as it was the only time I have worn heels I don't know if they could fit better. Hi kneehighs favorite heels: I'll have to say black, leather, zip-up, knee high boots with a 2-3 inch block heel. favorite drink: Bloody Mary (for those that don't know this is tequilla, tomota juice with pepper and tabasco sauce) or triple black douglas and coke. Thanks for the welcome and I do endeavour to get my own pair of knee high boots.

Those are great stories john741 and kneehighs....I always love shoe swapping stories the best. It's rare when you run into someone who wears the same size, AND is open-minded to boot! I hope it's not the only time you have such an experience, for it is a real rush when it happens, and it opens yet another pair of eyes to a realization....that not just women love the look & feel of a good pair of heels :-)

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 4 months later...

My wife wears my old work shirts and my tshirts ALL the time. If I were to come down in one of her bras, you better believe there would be hell to pay.

No kidding! And while she wore my underwear all the time without question, if I even thought of wearing any of her things I was somehow grossly demented.

Sad to say such double-standards exist, and even sadder that so many people are so incredibly deceived on this point. Men wore skirts for, oh, about ten thousand years, invented heels, wore them for two hundred years...

I dunno why she thinks it's ok for her to wear my Jockey's with the not-so-feminine-front-flap while I'm some kind of an abomination for wearing a thong.

Talk about twisted thinking!

My wife wears my old work shirts and my tshirts ALL the time. If I were to come down in one of her bras, you better believe there would be hell to pay.

Most likely that's because you are not wearing it correctly, it needs to be at the waist!

:rofl:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Reasons why women can wear anything at all: They are cute in anything. They are not to be taken seriously, so they can do crazy things - after all, they are only women. They are arrogant, doing whatever they want and criticizing men for doing likewise. Men are stupid to take it from anyone and restrict themselves. It's really all of the above, as a generality.

• 1 year later...

Women have the right to let their masculine side show and men are considered perverted beings showing their feminine side. So, why is femininity degrading or less than masculinity? Does this mean women are perverted in their feminine grouping and only their masculine side can redeem them? Are masculine men the idols of humanity? It isn't perverted to show masculine tendencies. Why do men want to show their feminine tendencies if masculinity is so great?

This faulty concept that society has taught us concerning the gender status of men and women needs to be revamped or deleted. Only those who can't stand change, because it will take away some or all of their power and influence, could even consider keeping the present social theory about gender. Of course, there is the backing of the societal sheep. Some of those sheep don't understand the idea of freedom -- to live and let live. How could they accept or grasp the concept that men can and want to wear high heels, if they can't conceive that an individual has the right to be who they are.

We all have been given a perception of maledom and when we don't live up to this concept, they tell us how weak we are. It's all social grooming from those who can't think on their own and they also accept the status quo to be etched in stone. The majority of these sheep may know how to read and write their name. They may even be able to count on their fingers up to 4 ( I know it is an over exaggeration ), but dealing with the idea of different people and those people are different, may over stress their classifying process. These are the scariest of all individuals, when you intoduce a concept that is not socially accepted, like men wearing heels, and they can't mentally reach out of their social indoctrination to realize where it fits in the schematic of the actual truth.

A little bitter isn't it? Maybe it's because some of those mud pies I sampled as a toddler weren't that tasty. Too much mineral content tasted very bitter, as I remember. It needed some sugar. Of course, it did give me a preview of boy scout outdoor cooking.

Guest Loveshiheels

You are a very luckly man to be able to swap heels with a women just like that. Me on the other hand wear a size 10uk heel, I,m unlikely to find any women with the same size feet.

• 1 month later...
Kneehighs:-)

I haven't been fortunate enough to have come across anyone who would swap boots or shoes with me. It sounds like an amazing experience and one to be cherished always.

Cheers---

:santa_hat:

My daughter always asks me what I have bought today, when I see her. She takes a size 5 and me size 7, so we cannot swop, but I'm sure she would. I always show her my buys, and usually wear them with her, and her husband, although he is not "interested" but definitely not ANTI.

I do love to go to see them when I can.

I still want to go to a shop with my daughter and both of us buy the same shoes and walk out in them together. Another of my fantasies!!!

Muddypaws.

:w00t2:

• 2 weeks later...

Women can wear Men's clothes because by doing so they seem to aspire to the superior masculine ideal. Men wearing women's clothes is deeply subversive, and dangerous to the power structure= patriarchy. When a man subverts his male power inheritance by seemingly valuing feminine traits, he threatens to destabilize the entire world structure. All homophobia is rooted and based in misogyny. The fear of gay marriage, for example, is actually fear of complete dissemination of patriarchy. The reason this fear runs so deep is that patriarchy is actually an unnatural state- at least unnatural for most of the span of human history. Prior to Monotheism, Matriarchy was the natural state of humanoids. In a world where women are stoned in the streets and where even in the most "liberal" places only 5 women are CEOS at fortune 500 companies, etc. There is an AWFUL LOT of PERVASIVE pressure to maintain masculinity (Read: boring shoes) as the superior, dominant force, at all levels of society. Interestingly, this could not be possible without the acquiescence of some traitorous females.

• 3 months later...

I think that is the ultimate fantasy for every high heel wearing man is to be able to swap shoes with a female. Unfortunately, I don't think that will be happening any time soon for me as I wear a size 13US heel, and I don't know of any women who have feet that big. Oh well.

Great stories though.

Yes, I agree. I have dreamed of having a female partner that would wear the same shoe size and we could wear each other's shoes every day. The closest thing to that was that I had a (male) roomate in college who wore the same size shoes as I did. We wore each others platforms and men's high heels daily. That was even fun.

The biggest woman I know (Leopard Woman from Halloween 2006) wears a US size 11. She is almost as tall as I am and outweighs me, I think, though not unattractive. She wore my size 13 heels for some pictures. Are we saying that heels of US size 12 and above are men's shoes? There are certainly lots of them out there, sexy stilettos with and without platforms, Payless, Nine West, even name designers, and so on. And Pleaser makes some styles up to size 16! Does that mean many more men wear heels than anyone will admit? A happy thought!

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest woman I know (Leopard Woman from Halloween 2006) wears a US size 11. She is almost as tall as I am and outweighs me, I think, though not unattractive. She wore my size 13 heels for some pictures.

Are we saying that heels of US size 12 and above are men's shoes? There are certainly lots of them out there, sexy stilettos with and without platforms, Payless, Nine West, even name designers, and so on. And Pleaser makes some styles up to size 16!

Does that mean many more men wear heels than anyone will admit? A happy thought!

I'll bet there are. I think it was Lane Bryant that reported that the majority of their mail order business in shoe sales was to men.