Limits On High Heel Evolution

JeffB

I've mentioned on the board numerous times how I've evolved in my heel wearing, from clunky looking stacked heels to gracefully thin stilettos, and from mere two inchers all the way up to five. But THAT is where my evolution has officially ended.

Now that I'm wearing my heels in public more and more frequently (by that, I mean not just at the office), I have to take comfort into consideration, and so, with that in mind, I've limited what I wear in public to five inches, mainly because comfort while on my feet and walking through malls or down city streets is extremely important to me. And wearing heels that are too high while out and about makes absolutely no sense. In fact, more often than not, I prefer stepping down to four inches which are my most comfortable height for lengthy outings, while I've worn five inchers on lengthy outings, four is just better for me.

I'm sure that with practice, I probably could master wearing six inch heels, but that wouldn't appeal to me in the slightest and I wouldn't even bother trying because I'd never be able to wear such an impractical heel height while out, and going out in heels is something I love doing, therefore I want to be stylish, yet practical in the heels I wear. I guess you could say this level of maturity is an offshoot of my evolution, having developed a strong, common sense approach to wearing heels, opting for practicality over appearance. Why don't you let me know what you think of this, and if you feel the same way I do.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Hey Jeff, Actually, it makes perfect sense to me. As I stated in my rant thread, all of us are different in how far we want to push things and where we end up. You say ONLY 5", but to most of us that is extreme to wear all the time, so congratulations on that! Just as I stopped with block/wedge heels, you found your limit your comfortable with to. The important thing is YOU are comfortable and happy, not what others think. I am sure there may be someone out there that wants to see you keep pushing, but as you said, this is where you are comfortable and happy so yes, stopping there makes sense. Again, great job to how far you came as it is. Bet when you started you never expected to get this far. I know a few years ago if you told me I would be wearing heels to work everyday and family gatherings myself, I would have told you you were crazy. Scotty

Thanks for the kind words, sscotty! I've slowly learned that while evolution is good, in that it helps you to grow, it's also importnat to have limits, to let your common sense guide you and tell when enough is enough. I've pretty much reached the goals I've set for myself when it comes to heel wearing, at this point, I don't think there are any more mountains for me to climb, and I'm content with that. From here on out, it's all about enjoying myself, even with my limits. But those limits won't stop me from having fun! :D

Thanks for the kind words, sscotty! I've slowly learned that while evolution is good, in that it helps you to grow, it's also importnat to have limits, to let your common sense guide you and tell when enough is enough. I've pretty much reached the goals I've set for myself when it comes to heel wearing, at this point, I don't think there are any more mountains for me to climb, and I'm content with that. From here on out, it's all about enjoying myself, even with my limits. But those limits won't stop me from having fun!

:D

Excellent point. Some people continue things to extremes.

As the saying goes, "everything is best in moderation."

Excellent point. Some people continue things to extremes.

As the saying goes, "everything is best in moderation."

Truer words were never spoken. While I've finished climbing my mountains, I've expanded my evolution horizontally instead of vertically by wearing different styles and colors. In the beginning, I wore nothing but black, but over the last several years, I've branched out to wearing red, white, blue, brown, navy, lime green, even baby pink. And I've gone from dull looking loafers to pumps, slings and boots. I can still find new and fun ways of wearing heels publically, and that keeps things fresh for me.

You're completely right JeffB! It's not just you, there was some people in a Thread saying that they are feeling bad because they like chunky heels and even something very low. They are completely right too! This is the limit for them as 5 inch stilettos are the limit for you. Everybody has a limit and a taste. That's what I defend. Do what you want, not what other people say.

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

You're completely right JeffB!

It's not just you, there was some people in a Thread saying that they are feeling bad because they like chunky heels and even something very low.

They are completely right too! This is the limit for them as 5 inch stilettos are the limit for you.

Everybody has a limit and a taste. That's what I defend. Do what you want, not what other people say.

Quite right, flavio! Because we're all different, we have different tastes in everything, including shoes and heel heights. We can't expect evveryone to conform to just one standard, frankly speaking, that would be boring.

I'm with you completely. My favourite heel height is 4", it feels like I'm wearing high heels, but I can walk in them confidently. I also have a couple of pairs of 4.5" which feel very high, but I can still walk in them. Personally I feel that 4" to 4.5" has the nicest proportion of height to length for my shoe size, and they seem to be the highest available in "normal" women's styles. While there is a part of me that fancies a pair of heels that are too high for me, I have no real interest in going above 4.5". Chris

Quite right, flavio! Because we're all different, we have different tastes in everything, including shoes and heel heights. We can't expect evveryone to conform to just one standard, frankly speaking, that would be boring.

And that's why men's shoes are boring.

Which brings us here.

Amazing how circular it is, no?

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

With my age and the condition of my joints, I feel lucky that I can still wear heels at all. After wearing stilettos for decades, I am quite happy to be able to wear chunky heels, which is much better than no heels at all, which also allows me to be able to balance, walk, and enjoy street-heeling. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I never buy anything lower than 5". When looking for shoes, I keep my eyes on the highest ones. High heeled spiked sandals or pumps, that´s what I like. But in another way, that kind of heel height ( 6" 1/2, 7") that make it impossible to stretch my legs don´t excite me - why wear heels that don´t allow me to walk ? THE TRUTH IS: The best heel is the one that satisfy us. Some people looks for style, others for comfort. Boots, sandals, pumps, whatever you like, the important is to get satisfaction from your shoes.

No shoe is better than a sexy pair of stilettos!

Hello, everyone. :D

I never buy anything lower than 5".

When looking for shoes, I keep my eyes on the highest ones.

High heeled spiked sandals or pumps, that´s what I like.

But in another way, that kind of heel height ( 6" 1/2, 7") that make it impossible to stretch my legs don´t excite me - why wear heels that don´t allow me to walk ?

My thoughts exactly, except I'd buy heels lower than 5", but not lower than 4". :wink:

THE TRUTH IS:

The best heel is the one that satisfy us.

Some people looks for style, others for comfort.

Boots, sandals, pumps, whatever you like, the important is to get satisfaction from your shoes.

I couldn't agree more.

K.

If the high heel shoe fits, wear it!

Today was the first time that Mickey and I could go street-heeling since before all of her foot and ankle problems and since my stroke. We had a great time checking out all the shoe and boot sales even though neither of us found any to take home. We were out all day and I had my boots on with the 3.5" chunky heels that I recently had gotten from Steve Madden and this was the first time out for them in public. It is several months since I was able to street-heel and I am a little out of practice, but it was a very pleasant experience anyways. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Well, good for you, Dawn! Glad to read your back out on the streets. I'm sure that it must've made for quite a heady experience after having not been in heels for awhile. Hope you'll be able to enjoy more outings, and, more importantly, enjoy continued good health! :D