Another pet hate

On 2002-05-20 09:16, azraelle wrote:

During my short (21 month) Truckdriving "career", I aquired a few PET PEEVES:

People who would pass my truck on the freeway, then pull back in front and SLOW DOWN so I had to jam on my brakes and turn off the cruise control.

California truck driving laws that forced you to drive in the right hand MERGE lane only, and the so-called legislators that announced to the votors that this was a SAFETY LAW!

People who didn't take (or pay attention in) physics in school:

Who told me that since I had 5 axles (10 brake drums/disks) that I could stop quicker than they could since they had only 2 axles (4 brake drums/disks). For the possibly uninformed or unintuitive, a short mathematical explanation: 80,000lbs divided by 10 = 8,000lbs per brake; vs 4,000lbs divided by 4 = 1,000lbs per brake.

and finally...

Having to change into manly footwear every time I got out of my truck because I didn't want to answer the question "Why are you wearing high heels?" (or worse) at a truck stop, state hiway scale ("chicken coop"), etc.

Don't you guys put airbrakes on trucks over there?!!

I can stand my 17 tonner on its nose! Mind you, the freight tends to migrate into the cab every time pensioners in mini metros pull out in front of me!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same problem when driving my bus (with vacuum brakes which always pass the MOT test) When somebody overtakes you as you are slowing down gently for the traffic lights and takes all the braking space. Passengers get upset when they are all in a heap! Talking about US trucks - its not that long ago that they didn't have brakes on the front axle!

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Yes, we have air brakes, and very good ones too, but my point was that there is simply no way a fully-loaded 80,000 lb truck is going to stop in the same distance that a passenger car will--traffic safety tests have proven this! But most motorists assume otherwise, especially those who pass trucks because they can't stand for their view of the road to be blocked, but who have no desire to be travelling as fast as the truck they just passed, and pull back in front of the truck and slow down. Since I, early on, learned to EXPECT them to do this, I had no particular problem slowing quickly, it just (automatically) shut down the cruise control--and the cheap POS unit that my company put in didn't have a "memory" so that in order to get it back up to the same speed I had to use the accelerator pedal to do so. This was fine on level ground, or downhill, but impossible to do going uphill--I was using the cruise control to maintain momentum, and to maintain the higher horsepower on the dual horsepower circuit on the engine. When the brakes are applied, it would automatically drop down to the low horsepower range, where it would tend to stay...

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

For me, it'd have to be people who say stuff like "Of course, I don't understand all of this computer junk, I leave it to you lot!" then moan when they can't find their email after any number of explanations. Oh, and those 75-year olds who drive slowly and badly in hats, then complain at others (well, me, then) trying to drive properly around them...

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I know exactly what you mean about people expecting trucks to stop on a sixpence. A 1 ton car and a 44 ton truck just aren't going to stop in the same distance. The laws of physics will tell you that.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Yeah, what is it about old men in hats?! Is there a club they belong to that rewards points everytime they annoy someone on the road? Another pet hate of mine is people who sleep at traffic lights when they turn green. Especially the ones who still get pissed off if you tap the horn after they've "slept" at the green light for more than 10 seconds! I only use the horn as a last resort........ Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

On 2002-06-02 06:09, Charlie wrote:

Yeah, what is it about old men in hats?! Is there a club they belong to that rewards points everytime they annoy someone on the road?

Another pet hate of mine is people who sleep at traffic lights when they turn green. Especially the ones who still get pissed off if you tap the horn after they've "slept" at the green light for more than 10 seconds! I only use the horn as a last resort........

Charlie

I think you'll find that they're admiring the colour!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

On 2002-04-19 03:19, ShockQueen wrote:

People driving down the highway that weave in and out at a high rate of speed, narrowly missing other cars.

... and also people who assume that they are driving safely because they are doing 30 mph despite the fact that the mean traffic speed is 60

People who open their doors against other people's paintwork in car parks and then get shirty if asked to pay for the damage

Drivers who intimidate cyclists

Airlines who keep you cooped up at the gate, announcing incremental 20 minute delays although they know the incoming plane will not arrive for another 3 hours.

On 2002-06-16 18:21, MistressM wrote:

Cyclists who drive down the emegency lane in rush hour, when traffic is built up and/or at a stand still

Makes you almost want to open your door on that side just as they are about to pass by.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

On 2002-06-16 18:21, MistressM wrote:

Cyclists who drive down the emegency lane in rush hour, when traffic is built up and/or at a stand still

When I lived in Oxford, cyclists used to plan on cycling up behind a car which was indicating left, and approaching a left turn, and then cycle past on the left. D'oh. After three months in Oxford, I used to stop when turning left, much to my Dad's amusement.

Oh, and people who tell me how to bring up children when they haven't got any...

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Makes you almost want to open your door on that side just as they are about to pass by.

Thanks for giving some bright spark that idea :-} This morning I was doing about 20 mph in a clearly marked cycle lane on my way to work when some moron in a BMW let his passenger open the door.

3 stitches in my knee - bloody painful. Bent forks and front wheel. Gratifyingly large dent in the car (door managed to open through about 180 degrees and couldn't be shut again). 2 witnesses so it is now in the hands of the police & my lawyer.

Not funny ....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nikk on 2002-06-18 17:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nikk on 2002-06-18 17:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nikk on 2002-06-18 17:59 ]</font>

On 2002-06-02 06:09, Charlie wrote:

Yeah, what is it about old men in hats?! Is there a club they belong to that rewards points everytime they annoy someone on the road?

I had to do some advanced driver training at an old EPM after three colleagues wrote off every pool car we had one year :grin:

Anyhow, one of the things that my instructor warned me of is old men in hats, who are notoriously poor drivers. I don't know if it's a club, but we know they're out there. In fact, me and my bro have a joke about 'Hatless hats', who are poor drivers who've not even had the courtesy to put the hat on to warn you.

Imagine my horror when a long-since ex offered me a lift home. She kicked her 'high heels' (all of a whole inch) off, announcing that she couldn't drive in them, then clamped a hat on her head... I've never been so scared in my life :smile:

Apparently she managed a crash every year or so too. Perhaps the hat causes overheating of the brain, and a loss of concentration :grin:

Nikk, I know what it's like to be a cyclist in an RTA, but, unlike you, I had the car smack me from behind. Back wheel looked like Pacman and my ankle was smashed, but not broken! Still very painful. I couldn't walk for 2 weeks! Hope your injuries are not too severe and I wish you a speedy recovery. You'll be back on your heels in no time! The bike may take a little longer! Anyway, Topic! Drivers who don't look where they're going!

Ahhh Powerful sorry, Nikk. I too am a cyclist, or used to be at any rate--was certified in the early '80's as a Motorcycle Safety Foundation safe riding instructor. I believe that the "pet Peeve" was referring to cyclists who might be lumped in with the label of "one percenters". They do give other cyclists a bad name to regular car drivers. I hope your "bright spark" didn't get the idea from the hhplace board; he wasn't in heels, was he?

No heels. Not hat either. But a pair of handcuffs would look good on him :smile: The small upside is that I think I'm going to get a new bike on his insurance, so I'm not nearly as angry now. Just limping a bit. Thanks for the concern ....

My peeve these days is when you are on the highway and you see the flashing arrows to merge over, yet these idiots will zoom way up til there is no more room to drive, then force-wedge ahead of people. ARGH! Sorry bud, but you're not getting ahead of me that easily!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

*whoosh!* Sorry...you missed the point there. It's not ME force-wedging in that I'm kvetching about - it's the other idiots that know about the lane merge, but stay in the lane they are in until the last minute, and cut in there.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

On 2002-06-20 13:07, Francis wrote:

just push your way in! :smile:

most people don't want there cars dented or scratched so they'll hang back if you're not bothered about getting yours scratched. :grin:

As I drive a lorry during the "rush" hour and I drive a K reg sierra* to and from work, there aren't many motorists who have the nerve to try and force in front of me <lol>

*A ford model of 1993 vintage.

• 2 weeks later...

Girls who obviously are just dying to know, but don't have the courage to come up and ask me why a guy would want to wear high heeled boots. :grin: Because I don't have the courage to start up a conversation either. :smile::grin::grin:

• 1 month later...

One is WAY ahead of others.... Queue jumpers...in any shape or form. In traffic, when they sneak around in the wrong lane. At checkouts, at theaters, airport check-ins etc' etc'. Next. Parents who don't teach their kids to put sweet wrappers IN THE BIN. I often congratulate parents who do, 'cause it is such a rare sight. Shane

My peeve these days is when you are on the highway and you see the flashing arrows to merge over, yet these idiots will zoom way up til there is no more room to drive, then force-wedge ahead of people. ARGH!

Exactly!

And while we're on the road...

Those individuals who fill up the back window with stuffed animals, hats, and bumper stickers so that there isn't even a tiny slit left to see out of.

As the bumper sticker says, 'If I wanted to hear the CRAP coming out of your stereo, I'd be sitting in your damn car!'

People who use their ethnicity as an excuse or a responsibility dodge.

Limited vocabularies.

Among other things for now. :smile:

One good thing is the fact that the "politically correct" wheel is starting to turn and judges are getting more and more disgruntled by people playing the race card to get off and often hand down more severe penalties to those that do.

Along with those that blame their social shortcomings on being "deprived" of advantages because of their "less than luxurious" childhood.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.