Summer and heels

Hi,

So now the summer is almost here and days where jeans are not the best due to heat and the shorts come out. What heels are would you recommend to pair with shorts.

I wear almost all my shoes with short shorts, including my knee highs. And when asked why I have knee highs and shorts I usually respond with "To mess with your mind. Is it working?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting question - I would tend to think that it really depends in the shorts. Personally speaking, I would tend to think that black pumps may not be best matched with denim shorts of just about any style or length. For something like that, I would think a pair of heels with a wood heel and platform might work. As I have no idea of your style, maybe a pair of wedges with "business" shorts?  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just some examples.

SM mannershh.JPG

ShortsBooties1H.JPG

And for the summer "Mess with your mind," knee high JS Stilettos, shorts, and Hawaiian shirt. Aloha

bootsatwork2hh.JPG

Edited by Cali
  • Like 2

I would think if one was wearing shorts then sandals would be the way to go. I wore short shorts back in the 70s - and cringe at the old photos. I can live with the photos of the flares and loud shirts, but the short shorts are something I really wish I had avoided

Posted (edited)

Those are on the longer side for me. I will be in 85-95 F (30-35 C) temps, so short shorts keep me a little cooler.  I still use speedos in my pool and tan my full legs.

Edited by Cali

I have several pairs of wedge heel sandals that I wear with my shorts. Also have a pair of Jessica Simson high heel sandals that are just right for summer wear with jeans or dressier trousers.  More for summer wear at a night time dining experience than on the boardwalk or beach. 

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I don’t find shorts any cooler in summer than loose trousers made if lightweight material - and I’ve lived most of my life in Australia where we certainly get hot summers 

Posted (edited)

Ah, the old shorts and high heels question! Once upon a time it was a question that wasn't even asked. Yes, Daisy Duke was on the TV every single week in shorts and heels, but nobody outside of a club, or maybe a car show, dressed like that in real life. Then suddenly it was ok, and even I can do it.

For me personally, if I'm going to wear shorts, I'm going to wear sandals. Though I've modeled them before, I would never wear an enclosed shoe with shorts, unless I'm playing tennis. If I'm actually working outside, I'm covered head to toe (for sun protection), so it's not about the heat, it's about the style. I do usually wear open toe mules with shorts, and they do tend to have a wooden heel. But not always. I don't often wear stilettos with shorts, and I'm not 100% sure why.  Perhaps stilettos with shorts still have that "clubby" look about them that I don't necessarily want to wear out and about under normal circumstances. Wedges also seem to work very well with shorts. For some reason, wedges seem to take the edge off the look.

Oddly enough, I do not have all that many pictures of me in shorts, probably because I've been doing this church outfit of the week things for some time, and I still will not wear shorts to church. Even though many people do this nowadays, it just seems wrong to me. Especially when I'm on the livestream camera that gets saved forever and ever. So I'll find some quick examples. I don't do long shorts, because they simply do not look good on me. I don't have a lot of real estate to waste covering it up.

PinkShortsDancecard.jpg

JustFabGoldWalk.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

@peterboroughAs it happens, I wore shorts for the first time in 2024 out in public only this Monday. The weather is definitely starting to get summery. I thought I would take a quick snapshot for the purposes of this thread, so we have some stuff taken recently. Not that my style has changed a whole lot in the last 5 years, but it's nice to have an example of something I wore two days ago, rather than five years ago.

I have no idea whether I look super white on the first outing of the year, but I have had zero sun exposure on my legs since last fall. It is always a struggle to keep arms and legs somewhat even, given my construction job. I have to admit that sometimes in the past on Saturday mornings, I have lain out in such a way that only my legs get exposed to the sun, in order to "catch them up" a bit. I ain't got time for that sort of nonsense anymore.

If there has been a change in my shorts and heels style in the last five years, it is that the shorts have become less extreme, and the heels have become more extreme. These particular shorts are from Joe's Jeans, purchased used on Poshmark for $14. They are size 27, which is the equivalent of size 4. As you can see, they're not super short, and they're not super tight. I would prefer them to be slight more of both. They have a 4 inch inseam, and I wish they were about an inch shorter, and about an inch less baggy in the legs. However, I'm not going to mess with them. They're fine. I have literally 20 other pairs of shorts to change them up with. One has to be careful to not get carried away with shortness and tightness, especially as a guy.

The sandals are Nine West Potpourri, one of my fairly extensive collection of wooden heeled shoes. They've got a 4 3/4" heel with a 1" platform, so not super high. I would consider them to be a walking heel, and fairly casual looking, so they don't clash with the casualness of the shorts and t-shirt.

This is what I feel works best for me personally, but obviously everybody has different tastes, styles, and bodies. I hope you find something that works for you.

ShortsFirst2024Side.jpg

ShortsFirst2024Front.jpg

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1