Ankle Giving Out

Yea I'm complaining about my ankle again. Spent the day in these yesterday then went shopping with my wife for only about 2-3 he's. Then my ankle started to give out. Thank goodness we went home then we went back out later. Went to this dinner thing so not much walking. Had 15 he's in them. I could not resist. Back in them today but much walking. Something lower is up for tomorrow.

How about a pair of boots that look like "old polio boots" with heels.  They are a lace to the toe style and therefore fully adjustable for tightness and support.  Wish I could locate a photo - but ... maybe out of style now - popular with in last coupleof years

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Are you sure it is the height or support that is the problem or possibly something that needs to be medically attended to? As we age, we don't have a crystal ball to predict what we'll have to endure. One of my fears is that I'll no longer be able to walk in heels. They say one way to see how things may turn out is by using our parents and their siblings in their later years as examples. I realize that this may be totally off, for they went through different circumstances that may have contributed to their abilities in the mature years, but it is still a way to compare. Then again, maybe you haven't built up your ankle strength enough to wear heels actively for such lengthy periods. Do take care and enjoy this Christmas time.

Heels2u,

I think Histiletto has some good points about flexibility and strength of your ankle.

From personal experience I spent literally years mastering very high heels (because I wanted to). I learnt wearing them all day & regular life situations is vastly harder than around home, and I really wanted to wear the higher shoes but just couldn't do it gracefully, so I honestly spent at least 3 years gradually getting higher and higher.

And then one new years day (after partying all night beforehand) I slipped off my high heels, took one step & tore some ligaments/ tendons in my left foot. Bummer of a way to start a new year. I couldn't walk for 2-3 days, then I had to be bandaged for 1 month, then in trainers for the next 4 months. I followed doctors orders, then stayed for an extra 6 months in trainers only , stretched heaps, ran long distances up hill to strengthen etc because I was determined to get it sorted.

The point of what I am rambling to is that when I got back to wearing heels I found had no ankle strength in the left (injured ankle). I still knew how to handle high heels, the shoes felt & responded just as they used to, and I would head off out, expecting everything would be fine for a city block, and then all of sudden my left ankle tired and I couldn't control the heel of the shoe properly, and I would be rolling my ankle sideways. I would get the shakes in the ankle & foot, when I never used to. Not at all graceful, very incompetent looking!

What I did was resist the urge to wear my higher heels and alas I had to drop back to lower heels, which I wore daily for another 3-4 months. Then I introduced my very-highs back into the shoe mix, by wearing them twice a week. I altered the very-high / high mix for another 3-4 months after which I found I could handle continual wearing of my highest shoes again!

All in all patience is the game, it isn't a race, it is a lifestyle choice and I have found it takes serious commitment to do it well.

This is why to this very day, I only wear flats/very low heels at home, and I alter my heel heights daily, and always push up to my highest heels for a day every week or two in order to maintain strength & flexibility in my feet. I also run a lot to increase blood flow to soft tissue in my feet and stretch my feet whenever I take my heels off.

In your case I think you might have enough flexibility to wear your heels (I didn't originally) but you don't have the strength conditioning to sustain wearing them?

You might need to drop back down heel height, do an apprenticeship in lower heels and gain strengthening & conditioning, and then reintroduce the higher heel back?

It might take some time because it will depend on how much you wear high heels. You need to wear them a lot if you are going to condition your muscles. The less often you wear heels the longer it will take.

Hopefully this rambling is useful.

regards

Heel-Lover

I twisted it when I was a kid. I can't even bend it as far a my right. Its so frustrating because now I wear heels all the time and my left ankle limits me. Now it is starting to limit how much walking in the higher heels. When my daughter a its down, the top of her foot is in a natural straight line with her leg. She could wear those ballet heels with no problem. In fact I am sure there are many ballet dancers that would kill for her ankle a I am afraid one day I will no longer be able to wear heels. I can just see myself going to a doctor and my complaint is I can't bend my ankle as far as my right. Then he asks why do I need to. Me, but to wear hi heels, why else