Can You Help Me With Rocky Horror Shoes?

partyshoes

My wifes best friend turns 40 this Halloween and there is the obligatory fancy dress party! Amazingly, my wife has suggested that I go as Frankenfurter (RHPS) and even arranged the costume for me. The only thing she (we) are struggling to find is the shoes. You will recall Tim curry wore ankle strap sandals with block heel in the original

http://www.listal.com/viewimage/205020

Main problem is I am size 10UK or 12US

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I may find these. I came very close to an identical pair on ebay (made by saint of fashion) but lost out due to flat battery on mifi device :-(  Have not seen another pair that comes close since then, they all tend to be stiletto heel. Have tried ebya, and just about every other shop I can think of but to no avail.

Any help greatly appreciated. Would hate to waste a good opportunity to heel with my wife .. they don't come along often

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

Anything here? http://www.alternative-footwear.co.uk/womens-shoes-and-boots/shoes/high-heel-sandals.html

I've never been to Doreen's but I know people who have and apparently they're helpful: http://www.doreenfashions.com/index.html Might be worth phoning them to ask, surely it's a common enough request for them.

FInally, it doesn't have to be exactly right. When I was at a recent Rocky Horror Show performance there was quite a variety of heels on display in the audience.

Have fun!

Most people wouldn't spot that there not exact unless they were Rocky buffs. It's always good to get as near as perfect but if not then go for the nearest and most comfortable.

As at9 says we wear a mix at the shows and rule one ENJOY the FUN.

Al

Please don't take this personally but you may well get better responses by using a more helpful thread title. "Can you help me" doesn't help us to help you. I don't usually look at threads with that sort of title on any forum. Something like "Shoes for Rocky Horror" would be much more helpful.

There are still a few more chances to catch the current UK Rocky Horror tour: http://rockyhorror.co.uk/tickets-tour-dates

Thanks for the suggestions at9, I will go and look there. Point taken about the heading - unfortunately I don't seem to be able to change it now!? Perhaps a Mod can help ?? .. I like your suggestion of "shoes for rocky horror"

I came very close to an identical pair on ebay (made by saint of fashion) but lost out due to flat battery on mifi device :-(  

I too have lost bids in similar ways. :sad: Like having the computer crash just minutes before ending. And when that happens you should not try to boot up a laptop which has been used on and off in slumber mode for a week. To say after that time it becomes slow and sluggish is an understatement, and not very helpful (nor good for your blood pressure) when you're trying to place a last second bid. 

I too have lost bids in similar ways. :sad: Like having the computer crash just minutes before ending. And when that happens you should not try to boot up a laptop which has been used on and off in slumber mode for a week. To say after that time it becomes slow and sluggish is an understatement, and not very helpful (nor good for your blood pressure) when you're trying to place a last second bid. 

This won't help you for the lost auction, but you can use a "sniper" program to place a last second bid. There are some pay versions and at least one free one, Gixen. I  have used Gixen and it definitely works.

Thanks for the suggestions at9, I will go and look there. Point taken about the heading - unfortunately I don't seem to be able to change it now!? Perhaps a Mod can help ?? .. I like your suggestion of "shoes for rocky horror"

Job done! ;)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

This won't help you for the lost auction, but you can use a "sniper" program to place a last second bid. There are some pay versions and at least one free one, Gixen. I  have used Gixen and it definitely works.

Posted Image

When I bid on EBay, in the last couple minutes or less I will toss in my max bid. EBay will bid up a bit at a time so the bidding my not even reach my max bid. If the bidding goes over my max offer it is more than I was willing to pay so no big deal.

Indeed. I'm not a big fan of sniping myself. Why can't people just put in their maximum bid and be done with it?

I suppose for some, it kind of takes the fun out of it. It's funny how some can celebrate winning a jar of navel lint.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Indeed. I'm not a big fan of sniping myself. Why can't people just put in their maximum bid and be done with it?

Ideally everybody would put in their bid and nobody would know how high everyone else's bid was. Of course the system is set up to maximize profit for the seller (understandably so). It wouldn't be half so bad if there weren't always some jojo's who keep on bidding, driving the price up, days before the biddings end. Sniping I can understand and respect. People snipe to get the best possible bargain before a competitor can react with a higher offer. Constantly bidding at the start however only serves to make the item more expensive. And even if you do become the highest bidder, it's still no guarantee that you won't get sniped. 

I always like to check the bidding history of an item to see who had the upper hand, whose maximum bids out triumphed and if the guy who made the initial bid won. Based on what I saw this is usually almost never, unless they made a higher initial bid then the others expected. All to often its some sniper who got away with it. Proving again that when two dogs fight over a bone, a third dog will be the one who gets away with it.

It works! I won! Just by the maximum amount I was willing to pay.

There are auctions with which this is the case. They are called blind auctions.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bid in some government surplus auctions where each bid adds 5 minutes to the end time. Totally takes sniping out of the picture

OK, but makes life difficult for someone who cannot remain glued to his computer until the bitter end!   And in any event likely to waste many bidders' time.

Ideally everybody would put in their bid and nobody would know how high everyone else's bid was. Of course the system is set up to maximize profit for the seller (understandably so). It wouldn't be half so bad if there weren't always some jojo's who keep on bidding, driving the price up, days before the biddings end. Sniping I can understand and respect. People snipe to get the best possible bargain before a competitor can react with a higher offer. Constantly bidding at the start however only serves to make the item more expensive. And even if you do become the highest bidder, it's still no guarantee that you won't get sniped. 

I always like to check the bidding history of an item to see who had the upper hand, whose maximum bids out triumphed and if the guy who made the initial bid won. Based on what I saw this is usually almost never, unless they made a higher initial bid then the others expected. All to often its some sniper who got away with it. Proving again that when two dogs fight over a bone, a third dog will be the one who gets away with it.

If sniping was outlawed then Ebay would be a lot fairer for everyone. Firstly, people would be bidding against each other, exactly like a real auction. Secondly, the seller would probably get a much more realistic price for their item. I just sold something which cost me about £200 a few years ago which was sold in as new condition for only £5.00! The buyer got a bargain and I barely made my listing fees. No wonder most people sell with a "Buy It Now" price only.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Job done! ;)

Thanks Dr Shoe,

In the end I was away on business and ended up walking through a mall to get to my meeting. Saw the perfect shoes in  shop window as I passed - went in on my way back and though they didn't have my size, they did have them one smaller. Colour wasn't great but a bit of shoe stretcher and some glue and glitter - I think they turned out well.

Thanks for advice everyone

If sniping was outlawed then Ebay would be a lot fairer for everyone. Firstly, people would be bidding against each other, exactly like a real auction. Secondly, the seller would probably get a much more realistic price for their item. I just sold something which cost me about £200 a few years ago which was sold in as new condition for only £5.00! The buyer got a bargain and I barely made my listing fees. No wonder most people sell with a "Buy It Now" price only.

Of course the question then becomes, at what point do you cut off future bidding. Let's just say eBay wouldn't allow any more bids in the final 5 minutes, that would just mean sniping would take place at 5:01 instead of 0:01. Basically the only way to eliminate sniping is to eliminate timed bidding altogether and to let auctions run as long as the seller wants them to take place. At which point he might chose to pick a current high or hold out for more. 

As for your loss, couldn't you have set a reserve or a starting bid higher then zero?