Earrings

Anita C.

I was cleaning up my make-up/jewelry table and became curious what kind of earrings everyone fancies. My lobes are pierced twice. For day I like to keep it "smaller than a quarter". For evening/entertaining I like to keep it "smaller than a hubcap". I have over 200 pairs of ear-bobs :D And . . .

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Anita I am sure you know there are lots of people on this board not from USA and who like me wouldnt know how big a quarter is. Any chance you could use another unit of measurement. And to really show my ignorance, I am not even sure if a quarter is a quarter of 10 cents or a dollar. Either way it seems to be an odd unit when dollars and cents are decade units and a quarter isnt. Its like the NYC share price goes in units of 1/8 of a cent instead of 1/10 of a cent. Cant fathom that one either. Jeff

I'm not from the USA but I'm reckoning a quarter is about the size of our 20p coin since it's worth about the same. Most hard currencies seem to have similar sized coins with respect to the value. For example, a Euro is about the size of our £1 coin and the way thongs are going it will soon be worth about the same! Isn't a hubcap a little small for your evening wear Anita? I'd imagined a dustbin (trashcan) lid would be more your size :D

A USA quarter is equal to 1/4 of a USA dollar. So four USA quarters equals one USA dollar. It is a round metal coin approximately 2.3 centimeters in diameter.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Thanks PJ FF Same goes for you what is the point of referring the size of some thing to a coin when most people on the board havent seen that coin. Like if I said to you the colour I am referring to is the same as a $10 note or a 50, would you have any idea what I mean? Jeff

It's all relative. People aren't stupid just because they don't know local values or slang. Quarters = 1/4 of a dollar, a quarter dollar, two bits, 25 cents, ect. It's no "biggie"! Suffice it to say it's larger than your thumb nail but smaller than a sewer cover.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I thought this topic was about earrings ? :( I very rarely wear earrings in public, but when I do it's a pair of small gold studs. These gold studs were the first earrings that I every had. I bought them to use as keepers when I pierced my ears. I still remember buying them, the shop assistant wanted to sell me a more elaborate pair, but I wanted the smallest ones that she had. I also remember the pain of piercing my ears with a new sewing needle and how difficult and painful it was to fit the studs. Also the stringent hygiene procedures I had to follow to stop the holes getting infected. :D I prefer silver earrings to gold, I have a large collection of silver hoops from 30 mm right up to 80 mm (no coinage you notice) which I wear in private. I usually buy my earrings at Argos, I have been trying their silver Creoles lately which are quite heavy and feel nice. Talking about heavy earrings, an elderly lady who lived next door to me, had always worn the same pair of heavy gold earrings for most of her life. The holes in her ear lobes were now quite stretched and elongated. Has anybody else had this problem with heavy earrings?

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

I have been checking stores in my area for long (2" - 4") clip-on earrings. So far, I have been unsuccessful. Seems stores here carry a wider selection of pierced earrings and have very few clip-ons. And what clip-ons they do have are small.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I have been checking stores in my area for long (2" - 4") clip-on earrings. So far, I have been unsuccessful. Seems stores here carry a wider selection of pierced earrings and have very few clip-ons. And what clip-ons they do have are small.

Clip-on earrings are virtually obsolete theses days. Back in the fifties young women did not wear earrings very often or have pierced ears. It's only since the sixties that earrings have started to be popular. The result of which is that almost all women now have pierced ears and there is not much call for clip-on ones.

I found clip-on earrings to be uncomfortable and unreliable, the larger they are, the more easily they come off and get lost.

Best get your ears pierced. :D

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

It is worthwhile to get pierced earrings for the experience of the piercing itself. I felt slightly intoxicated after having three piercings done in one sitting. You should get this done at a place that specializes in body piercing. There are websites that can recommend a competent piercer in your area (I used Body Exotic on West San Carlos St in San Jose).

Michael

OK-I DO have some clip-on earrimgs and learned that if you are wearing heavy shoulder-duster earrings it is advisable to put a dab of false eyelash glue on the front AND back contact areas to hold them in place. :D Works like a charm!

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

the kind that i enjoy seeing worn are long dangle type earrings. close to being shoulder dusters. the color and style would depend upon the color of the dress or outfit that is being worn at the time. but definately hang downs...

patent leather and classic high heel pumps area.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't a hubcap a little small for your evening wear Anita? I'd imagined a dustbin (trashcan) lid would be more your size :D

Dude - you're kind of sacking her, aren't you?

But it IS funny!

And I wear a small diamond stud in my right ear and any number of different earrings (including smaller women's straight dangles) in my left.

I'll get you for that Firefox . . . and your little dog, too! :( Happy New Year, All! :drinking: Ok, even Firefox. :D Remember now - tomorrow (New Years Day) there will be NO AIR before NOON! So PLEASE heed Auntie Anitas' advice and do NOT get out of bed BEFORE then :sleeping: and in the name of GOD do NOT use the phone!

Back on subject, never had my ear pierced, but my wife wants me to. Don't like heels, or womens shoes on me but wants me to wear earrings.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

To quote comedienne Rita Rudner " Why not marry a guy who has his ears pierced. He knows about pain and has had to buy jewelery". I have had my left ear pierced for 15 years, and added my right about 5 years ago. So far, the only negative comment came from my mother. Everyone else has been positive. I also had a stud in my nose for a few, also without any negative incidents.

Proudly standing in my patent High Heels

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not a fan of piercing, so i wear clip-ons, but they are difficult to find these days

Just for interest, any reason why you don't get them done? They are easy to care for, plus they make it harder to lose earrings.

My wife had her ears pierced after we got married. (Didn't ask my opinion) :P But, she had both girls ears pireced when they were about 6 months old. (Didn't ask my opinion then, either) :P

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 3 months later...

Atleast she waited 6 months for your daughters. A good friend of mine had her daughters ears done before she left the hospital. I think she was about a week old at the time.

My wife had here ears pierced after we got married. (Didn't ask my opinion) :D

But, she had both girls ears pireced when they were about 6 months old. (Didn't ask my opinion then, either) :P

I always find it rather irritating that women expect you to ask their permission when you are thinking about things like having your ears pierced. But they just go ahead and please themselves what they do! :P