Any Shoe Cobblers Give You A Hard Time?

Curt

I brought a pair of knee high boots to the cobbler to get the shafts tapered to fit my 13" calves. He told me that it would take a week and would cost $40. I said ok. I turned out, he took 3 weeks to finish the job! And he still gave me crap. He said he had a lot of other shoes to do and didn't want to waste a whole day to finish my boots. I paid him in advance so he would actully finish the job. I probably spent about close to $300. On all the repairs on all my shoes and boots. I told him I shouldn't be treated like that. When I got the boots, he didn't apology. He didn't even say a work to me and slapped the boots down on the counter. What an ass! Before I left, I told him I've been taking my shoes to the cobbler on the other side of the mall, and that he's cheaper, does better work, and will work a lot quickly. I took my fluevog pumps to the new guy to put on new heel tips. I got them back in 2 hours. The old guy would take 3 days! You guys ever come across idiots like that. I wonder if "SHAFTED" has had any problems, because he gets a lot of his boot shafts tapered? Clarissa

Never had any problems with my cobbler.Then again I'm not the sort of person who's in a hurry. Quality work takes time.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

My shoemaker has always delivered when he said he would.

My response would have been, "well, if you can't do it just say so and I'll take them to someone who can.".

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Only one time have I ever had a problem taking my boots to a cobbler. The guy did good work at a reasonable price but seemed less than enthused about having me in his shop. I used him for a few jobs then found someone else. I have used four other cobblers for countless heel tip replacement and have never had any problems. In fact they seemed to be glad to have a repeating customer and some even seemed to enjoy the variety of the work (thigh boots) I brought in to them. Pumpcat, it sounds like you did the right thing. You reward good service with patronage. Your guy at least had the added benefit of knowing why you no longer wanted his service. (I have known merchants that treated their customers badly then wondered why their business was failing. I really think they didn’t know how their customers saw them.)

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

What is a decent price to taper boot-shafts? My cobbler charged me $40. It would have been ok if he called me and told me he needs more time. I came by to pick up the boots, and he said he didn't start to work on them yet. At that point, they were in his shop for 2 weeks. My new cobbler is polite, and does amazing work! Live and learn, I quess! Clarissa.

A few months ago I took a pair of sandals to a shoe repair shop because they needed new insoles (after discovering the hard way that too much foot-moisturinsing cream and insoles isn't a good combination). To say they made a pig's ear of it would be an insult to pig's ears. They just glued on badly trimmed men's insoles, wearable but so ugly. I could've kicked up a fuss about it and made them do the job again, but it was clear they had no idea how to do that kind of job. I should've demanded a refund but I didn't even do that. Needless to say I've never gone back to that chain of stores since and I take my custom elsewhere. An independent skilled craftsman is far more deserving of the business.

If you like it, wear it.

Lousy service = no business. Clerks / business folks who provide lousy service apparently do not realize that the reason they have a job or business is because you are there. I would go elsewhere and never look back... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Whomever Pumpcat's Cobbler ' was ', Im surprised hes been in business for any extended period of time. There were times when I wanted to tell ' customers ' they were idiots for not fixing the roofs on their houses when the walls FIRST started falling down and if they would have done such, It wouldnt have been thousands of dollars in repairs later.. *I* couldnt say such as if I did.. they would have called the only other guy whom did such work in the area. That being said, it takes 2 to have an argument. There have been some unpleasant people whom did call and I did an estimate for BUT.. I didnt bother doing the work or signing a contract as I felt they were miserable and I didnt want to subjugate my crew to such types of individuals. Ive had to go as far as to blatantly lie to a customer and say the lime we used could be toxic and it would be best if the work was done while they were on vacation or visiting friends ( some call this a ' holiday ' ). There comes a point in time where some business owners finally say ' Im really tired of doing this ' and decide to cut their losses ( or gains ) and finish up what they have started.. and call it quits. I almost did such after the third ' Indian ' home I repaired. After all the contracts were signed, the work completed ( 6 weeks of slinging mud and lattice board! ) the guy decided that we needed to renegotiate the contract to a lower price. We did finish 2 weeks early so I can understand their point of view.. 2 weeks of manhours is a chunk of change.. but when he put out a figure that didnt even cover the materials or the taxes ( Workers comp policy, state taxes, EPS licensing, Permits, Social security matchings, state tax matchings.. ) let alone giving my guys a nickel for 6 weeks of work.. I really wanted to go out to one of the trucks, get a BFH and take to the woodshed with him. Instead, I just told him he signed the contract and if he didnt pay it, I would put a lean against his house, go to court and evict him. Dumb things happen all the time and it is possible that said ' Cobbler ' might be tired of his business, just dealt with one of ' those kinds of customers ' or maybe he was approached negatively. None of such matters though. Take your business elsewhere. If you dont enjoy the service you are receiving, dont deal with it. Dont argue, dont make a fuss, just leave. In short time, you will probably see a permanent ' closed ' sign on the door/window to the place.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

yep, your not the 1st. customer thats happened to, & you wont be the last-just you wait & see how long it does take before he'll HAVE to close up & "go out of business" (I promise you it WONT be long!!!) :-?:sad: