High heels for interviews?

JohnW

Has anyone had a candidate for a job interview (probably female!) turn up in high heels? If so, did you let this affect your judgement, and did you regret your decision afterwards? Alternatively, have you worn high heels to an interview (either as an interviewer or interviewee) and what effect did that have?

In answer to my own question, a few years ago I was interviewing for an admin post in my department. One of the (female) candidates arrived in a leather mini skirt, fishnet stockings and black 4" heels. She was early 20s with long black hair. I made sure the interview went on for as long as possible, specially when she crossed her legs! Anyway, not surprisingly I gave her the job - and a glowing reference not long after when it became clear that she really wasn't up to the job!

I would go out of my way to ensure it did not influence my decision. In the past, I had a socks-and-sandals woman working for me. However, she was very good at what she did, and I promoted her. It has to be about the results. We need the abilities of everyone who can produce, no matter what their fashion tastes are. Those who can't or won't produce can't be allowed to get by through other means. Work is not supposed to be a girlfriend farm or a sexual stimulant.

Imo, I don't think fishnets would be appropriate...however, wearing some classy, high heel shoes and a skirt would be appropriate (of course not just that outfit...could be a classy looking suit, etc...just not "slutty" looking). BoyLegs is right, it's about the quality of the candidate and what they bring to the company. Whether someone is "hot" or not should have absolutley no bearing in the hiring process.

I would go out of my way to ensure it did not influence my decision.

In the past, I had a socks-and-sandals woman working for me. However, she was very good at what she did, and I promoted her. It has to be about the results.

We need the abilities of everyone who can produce, no matter what their fashion tastes are. Those who can't or won't produce can't be allowed to get by through other means. Work is not supposed to be a girlfriend farm or a sexual stimulant.

Agreed. Now in the case of a tie breaker...

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I have interviewed serveral people (mostly female) for several positions. I have never let their apperance influence my decision. ...but yes, I have seen several strikingly beautiful young women. With high heels and without. One of the best had a skirt that reached about halfways down her thighs, black stockings (I saw her garter as well one time just before the intervue) and 4½-5 inch pumps. Without platau... In addition to being very beautiful she was very smart and actually got the job. She wore heels everyday :) Worked with her for 1½ years, great time :lmao:

I am curious if any of our female members at this site have worn a pair of higher heels, maybe even sexier heels, than they normally would wear to work or out-and-about daily to a job interview or even a presentation at work? I hope some of the women will weigh in on this question.

It really depends on what you know about the job requirements and the company, what is to be worn for an interview. Do your homework! If your a guy wanting to wear heels, your options should be considered very carefully, even though you are well qualified. With the economy being so depressed, the chances of even holding on to a job are questionable. Is this where I plead, gravel, sit on the doorstep for a job wearing high heels? Hey! I'm open like any other male heeler. Not much of a resume', is it? Oh well, I gave it a shot! When should I come in?

In many office environments low to mid heels are often considered more professional looking for women to wear. Up to about 3.5" is fine, perhaps a little bit higher if she can pull it off and still look professional and not desperate or slutty. As for what Histiletto said about a man wearing them to an interview, totally agree and would take it further, if it is a job you really need and especially with these economic times, I would NOT even consider it an option to be honest. Unfortunately, it is nearly guaranteed to get you dropped from consideration before you even get asked the first question.

Maybe it was implied, but I think the type of position being interviewed for has a huge impact on what heel height would be considered acceptable. For a guy, if you're going for an accounting or lawyer position (typically more conservative positions), I'd tend to think showing up in heels probably won't move you up to the top of the applicant list. For positions as movie/tv writer, or something in advertising, heels might not have as much negative impact. For women I think it's similar. If one is interviewing for saw an engineering position (stereotypic or not, where most of other works might be men), showing up in 5" heels may not help you chances for employment. However, if the position is working the reception desk at a not too conservative company, or now a days, a sales rep for a pharmaceutical company, if one can stay sexy without looking slutty, then higher heels probably would help. As been mentioned though in this thread, and others, if your a guy going on an interview, and it's not a job where (apologize in advance) being different is okay, it's probably best to leave your heels in the closet. Unless you're a 24x7 heel wearer, with the (US) economy still not great, showing that part of your personality probably isn't worth giving the interviewer a reason to doubt hiring you.

Heh, thought the question at first was aimed at males. If so, then my obvious answer would be easy: NO. As to what I've read, yeah, it definitely shouldn't influence the decision-making. BUT...it does depend on what the job is. You know, job at McDonalds vs. being a stripper (no offense to those out there, but do correct me if I'm wrong).

Formally "HHDude"

Any heel above 4" is too much for an interview. Sadly, people DO judge by first impressions....even in this so called 'enlightened' age.

Anything eyecatching or intended to distract the interviewer should be taken as a wrong choice. If you are going to a job interview your skills regarding the application should count; and not other "assets".

In this case: short skirts, improper garment, heels over 3", maybe 3.5", excessive makeup, etc. should be taken as a bad note.

It depends on the type of job application, any way. It's not the same for a secretary or an assistant than for a hotel's public relations.

Heh, thought the question at first was aimed at males. If so, then my obvious answer would be easy: NO.

As to what I've read, yeah, it definitely shouldn't influence the decision-making. BUT...it does depend on what the job is. You know, job at

(no offense to those out there, but do correct me if I'm wrong).

You should visit the Stripper Community websites.....you'll find that an awful lot of the girls do both to get through College!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Not had an interview for a few years but at my last one I must have worn 5'' heels as that's my normal shoes. I probably wore trousers over them so the heel would have been mostly hidden. I got the job so must have been ok. As others have said I think it's about the whole outfit and overall look.

Not had an interview for a few years but at my last one I must have worn 5'' heels as that's my normal shoes. I probably wore trousers over them so the heel would have been mostly hidden. I got the job so must have been ok.

As others have said I think it's about the whole outfit and overall look.

What job was the interview for? Do you think if they had noticed your 5" heels they might have made a comment?

You should visit the Stripper Community websites.....you'll find that an awful lot of the girls do both to get through College!

This is made clear on a popular TV show here in the states. CSI, the original one, has a character Catherine Willows (played by Marg Helgenberger) who in her earlier days was a stripper who then used the money to finance her way through forensic training. I have no doubt that fiction springs from truth.

There are some days where I wish I could just take off my clothes to make money and leave the high tech world behind. If I did this, I would probably be sacked.. literally. LOL

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

• 1 month later...

This is made clear on a popular TV show here in the states. CSI, the original one, has a character Catherine Willows (played by Marg Helgenberger) who in her earlier days was a stripper who then used the money to finance her way through forensic training. I have no doubt that fiction springs from truth.

There are some days where I wish I could just take off my clothes to make money and leave the high tech world behind. If I did this, I would probably be sacked.. literally. LOL

Charlie

Charlie, lol I know the felling

Fred

I did apply for a job a few years ago. My interviewer was a female who was very nice but dressed very matronly. I wore a nice skirt suit that fit nicely with nude pantyhose and black 4" pumps. My first thought was oh oh I wont get this job. But she was very nice and complimented me on outfit and I got the job.

I did apply for a job a few years ago. My interviewer was a female who was very nice but dressed very matronly. I wore a nice skirt suit that fit nicely with nude pantyhose and black 4" pumps. My first thought was oh oh I wont get this job. But she was very nice and complimented me on outfit and I got the job.

I'm sure you got the job because you were the best qualified. But it sounds like the outfit and high heels didn't hurt and might even have helped. Congratulations you for getting that job.

If I was an employeer, I would take in to acount how the person dressed for the interview. A conservative to moderate look would be grounds to hire as well her education and work skills. Anything wilder than that, I would question her motives.

I have interviewed for three jobs and for a scholarship and wore heels to all three. The first was my first job for Bakers. I really wanted to work there just to get the employee discount. I wore of pair of their shoes to it; they were a pair of 5” sandals. The manager recognized them and I got the job so it worked out.

My second interview was for a scholarship that I was competing for. It was in the late spring so I wore some strappy sandals that were pretty high. I don’t think they were anything too outrageous though. I didn’t get the main prize but I walked away with something.

The third time was for a secretary position at Boeing and I wore pumps that were around 5-5.5”.

My last time was for my current job as a teacher in the small town I moved to. I wore some pumps much like the ones I wore to the Boeing interview and got the job sort of. There aren’t that many positions here so I had to be a substitute for a while before a position opened up.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, not surprisingly I gave her the job - and a glowing reference not long after when it became clear that she really wasn't up to the job!

FAIL. I'd hire the homliest person on the planet if they could meet the job requirements while doing everything I could to help them, if they so wanted, into our society.

On the other hand, if I ever discovered anyone scarfing jobs through this program, I'd hand over 12-D surveillance data to multiple agencies and let the bastard child on the out and out remain on the out and out. Let's see to whom he slides the program...

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.