Were the high heels,lingerie of 50-60s sexier?

MRRIOSO

Is it me? I find the older spiked heels, skycrapers, springolators, mules and slides of the 50-60s much more flattering to ladie's figure than the modern styles. Corsets, garter belts, girdles, waist cinchers, shelf bras and real nylons much more seductive. they wore them as normal day to day wear. There are a few younger women that get it. more and more each year. I would like your feedback, young and old women into erotic fashion and a fetish for mules, slides, spiked heels.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a period (early to mid 1960's) when pumps with pointed toes and 5 inch spike heels were the norm. That, in combination with the tight pencil skirts and blouses of the time, made for a lot of very classy looking women. Just watch the movies from this time period, you'll see what I mean.

• 2 months later...

I absolutely love the fashions of the 50's and 60's. Clothes, lingerie and shoes were all designed and styled to FLATTER a woman, and to express her femininity - not to thrust her in men's faces as a mere sex object.

Designers in those days had respect and admiration for the female form, and the resulting fashions showed this. There was none of this 'bottoms hanging out of jeans' and 'boobs busting out of tops' business - nearly all fashions were ultimately discreet and stylish - and so less, was often more.

Of course, there were very few restrictions with regard to the materials they could use, so furs, animal stoles, expensive leathers and of course ivory in corsets were all used to great flamboyant effect.

The high heels of the age were absolutly the peak of sensuality. The curves, the points and the thin high stilettos were the ultimate in design elegance and feminine allure in footwear - and most girls wore high heels regularly too.

The other thing that sets those fashions apart from today, is that women themselves had far greater self-confidence and self-esteem. They knew how to take a compliment, and they knew how to DRESS, and thus were able to show themselves off that much more sensually and gracefully.

All in all, a far more civilised, tasteful and elegant age for women's fashion in all respects.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

• 2 weeks later...

I remember those days well. I began my working life in the late 50's and the factory where I worked (in England before I emigated) had some fifty or so young ladies in the finishing department. It was a great time for a young single guy as most married women did not work, so nearly all the girls were all available. Almost all wore at least 4" stiletto heels, the majority 5", to and from work (had to change to flats in work for safety reasons) along with slim fitting skirts. A large majority would put their heels on even to walk the 100yards or so to the shop to buy lunch. As much as I appreciated the birth of the mini, Mary Quant effectively killed off high heels amongst the younger generation.

In actual fact this is how I like to dress most often. I usually wear fully fashioned nylons, most often with seams. With this I wear 5" stilletos, pencil skirt (most often in leather) and a scoop neck figure hugging top, usually stripy. I'm told I look very Parisien in appearance. The stockings are usually tan, chocolate or barely black colour for day wear with black stockings with a figure hugging dress for nightwear. For underwear I often wear a corselet with 6 proper suspenders with wide metal clasps or I wear a suspender belt with 8 straps. I will only wear tights with a mini-skirt (which I seldom wear) or under skinny jeans on the rare occassions I wear them when the weather's really cold.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree that the shoe fashions in the 1959-64 period were almost invariably stylish and exciting in a way that has never been equalled since. And of course, as others have said, stilettos (often well over 4") were almost universal and usually teamed with winklepicker toes, tight pencil skirts and stockings - and a lot more besides. (Sorry, Charlie - I liked the beehive hair too!) I don't know why there is such a strong desire to ignore or abandon things from the past which were tried, tested and well loved. OK, fashion moves on and there is plenty of room for innovation and fresh ideas, but the true 60s stiletto heel is very rarely seen on any more modern shoe. The shape and positioning is scarcely ever quite the same (and is therefore 'wrong' to my eyes). And peep toes and thick platforms go back to the late 40s (before stilettos were invented) and should have been left there.

I agree that the shoe fashions in the 1959-64 period were almost invariably stylish and exciting in a way that has never been equalled since. And of course, as others have said, stilettos (often well over 4") were almost universal and usually teamed with winklepicker toes, tight pencil skirts and stockings - and a lot more besides. (Sorry, Charlie - I liked the beehive hair too!)

I don't know why there is such a strong desire to ignore or abandon things from the past which were tried, tested and well loved. OK, fashion moves on and there is plenty of room for innovation and fresh ideas, but the true 60s stiletto heel is very rarely seen on any more modern shoe. The shape and positioning is scarcely ever quite the same (and is therefore 'wrong' to my eyes). And peep toes and thick platforms go back to the late 40s (before stilettos were invented) and should have been left there.

I figured I'd be alone on the beehive thing.. LOL

As for shying from the past, it certainly doesn't occur in Hollywood? They seem to have no new original ideas and instead keep remaking classics..

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

• 5 months later...

Pussyinboots said:

The other thing that sets those fashions apart from today, is that women themselves had far greater self-confidence and self-esteem. They knew how to take a compliment, and they knew how to DRESS, and thus were able to show themselves off that much more sensually and gracefully.

All in all, a far more civilised, tasteful and elegant age for women's fashion in all respects.

My dear, at those times, you have to learn how to be and to walk like a lady.

Helena Rubinstein used to say "there are no ugly women but lazy"

Elegance is my second name