Ok I felt I had to post this!

scrappycoco

I am posting this link and my reply to this person! I would like for some of the guy's on here that wear skirt's to see what they think about this! Here's the link!

http://yeahshesaidit.com/2010/01/24/skirts-are-not-for-men

Here is my reply It's quite lengthy! I was PO'd!

Ok Now I'm going to chime in on this post witch is something that I hardly ever do cause I don't waste my time on narrow minded stuff like this but here it goes.

First I'm going to say this "It sounds to me like this person has gotten a raw deal from a few men before! So she is using the excuess that it's cause some men like to wear skirt's!" Hmm. I know quite a few women out there that act just like some of the men that she was talking about. Last time I checked some women are still Crying and whinning about not being on the same level playing field as men. Hmm women carrying gun's and fighting war's I'd say that's on the same field. So now on to my reply's to some of her quote's!

"My mother say's that in this day and age, it seems as if boy's want to be girls!"

Ok first of all I'm a man and not a boy. If I wanted to be a girl there is ways to take care of that! Just becuase a man decied's to wear a skirt does not mean that he want's to be a woman! Just like if a woman wears pant's does not mean she want's to be a man! Do we really need to go there on this one? I think not! The last time I checked just becuase someone dress's in a certian type of clothing does not dictate there Sex! what you have down below does that for us! I know alot of men that have said if they made skirt's for men just like they make pant's for women that they would wear a skirt, but becuase you can't go to your local walmart and by a skirt for a man most men wont wear one cause of people like you!

"I could care less how long Scottish man have been wearing kilts or what happen during B.C. and whatever excuse one can come up with to defend this."

Ok first of all I am not defending anything! It is my right to wear what I want! Just like it is your right to wear what You want!

I feel from reading this it sounds to me like you may have gotten the shaft from some lazy men in your day? Just because a man is lazy has nothing to do with what he wears! HE'S JUST PLAIN LAZY! I'll put it like this! I wear skirt's quite often as a matter of fact whenever I feel like it! I am far from lazy! I work full time as an EMT where I work 24hrs strait! I also am in the US Military. There are day's where I come home after being up all night and have to clean up around the house, fix thing's, and what ever else need's to be done! To me being a man is NOT ABOUT THE CLOTHING THAT I WEAR! Being a man is all about how you take care of and provide for your family and what kind of mark you leave on the world. Yes I may have a softer side so what! Women like to try to have a stronger side! What's the differance? None! I have been married for 17yrs and have 2 girl's and they both fully support me and how I choice to dress. To them I am there dad no matter weather I am wearing pant's or a skirt! I just ope to god that my girl's will not turn out to be as narrow minded as YOU! I think what you need is a man that will treat you with respect and treat you like a lady! Not someone who is a lazy POS and like to sit on his back side all day and think that someone is going to hand him a pay check. The sad reality of today's youth is what I just said I see it in my oldest one everyday. Oh well I can only do so much. If I offened anyone I'm sorry this person just got my blood churning! UGH!

Let me know how some of you guy's feel about what she said!

Interesting post. My first observation was that her tone was quite immature, and I am hoping this young woman is it is obvious that this woman is not enjoying her post-adolescence as much as the slacker men she seems attracted to but simply cannot "change." The logical falicies that she presents are numerous and blatant: "My mother always says..." implying that HER mother is correct, while being critical of the mothers of sons, for example. However, a statement such as "men in skirts is not sexy" is simply a statement of opinion, which to her is very true. However, I think if a guy was wearing a skirt, getting out of a Bentley, she may be willing to over look the skirt. This rant, a fantastic example of how the Internet allows anybody with an opinion, an account, and the ability to form an opinion to "express themselves", is fairly typical of the small minds, "me centric," dribble that seems to permeate the world today. As for guys who wear skirts being slackers, I can't think of too many I have met here: I have a job, JeffB has a job, etc. However, what I find most disturbing is how she implies that women are truly weak. Her impression is that for a man to be a man, he must be willing to not only provide for a woman, he must be willing to adapt to her every need desire and role. The days of women being the "weaker sex" are long over and I for one am happier for that, because I think neither gender must be weak. If she has a problem with guys who "can't take care of themselves," only associate with ones who can. There really are plenty out there. Finally, she also makes the jump from attire to gender. What clothing a person wears in relation to their gender is nothing more than a human construct. In fact, the concept of gender is a human construct. Again, from the guys who post here, crossing gender lines seems to be a tertiary issue at best. When we put on skirts and or heels we are still MEN and many of us are still quite masculine. Interesting read, fun to parse, but it is a reminder that just because you have an opinion you really don't need to post it...

Style is built from the ground up!

What you say is true, HappyFeat. But there is no denying that the "average" person in today's society believes there is something mentally out of whack with any man that appears in public wearing woman's clothing -- it doesn't matter if "YOU" do not agree with them , but this is a "given." The person's sexual orientation is automatically questioned. The thinking that there must be some "wires crossed" in the guys mind that stimulate his desire to dress in that manner. Why else would he want wear women's clothes to except to satisfy some quirky sexual desire? While those of us that regularly wear our high heels in public, and for others that wear skirts and dresses in public, know that this perception of us as being "sexually "dysfunctional individuals" isn't true in 100% of the cases, it is difficult separate ourselves from the "weirdos" that really are "way out there." So, while this is the first impressions that occurs to anyone encountering a man wearing women's clothing, it is up to those of us that are "sexually normal" to set the record straight -- if we have the opportunity. It's a constant up hill battle and the hill is steep.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I agree Bubba that what you say is true about society. However, my critique wasn't based on society's perception, it was based on the authors logic. One of the problems that is inherent to society is group think - what ever society perceives as the proper opinion is accepted as fact. She is expressing an opinion about concepts that go well beyond her issues with men wearing skirts and extrapilating it down to one a single topic. This is not just a reasoning issue with her article, I think it is epidemic of the world today.

For example she reasons that men have been feminized by their mothers therefore boys behave more like girls therefore a guy who wears a skirt wants to behave more like a girl. She has no evidence to corroborate this assumption. She simply takes a popular thought, jumps on it, and backs it up with absolutely no logic.

The problem with opinion is that is exists for only a single person. It is not correct simply becuase it is a) society's accepted norm, :blinkbigeyes: because people agree with it, or c) becuase you shout it loud enough. For HER, it is true, but it has too many logical holes to be anything but valid when extrapolated to EVERYBODY, which she seems to be doing.

But Bubba is right. Guys who do something out of the ordinary face this mindset on an everyday basis. It also defines my view when we discuss "society" on this site. No opinion is universally held in any society. The thought may be held by a plurality or even a (vast) majority but it still isn't the whole of society. If 95% of people think that wearing skirts or heels by a man is deviant, then there are 5% who don't. The trick is to find the 5% and challenge the assumptions of the other 95%.

Again, this is endemic quality of society (which the author demonstrates quite well) is that people don't think for themselves. This is the true barrier that we fight - ignorance not intolerance. Unfortunately, well reasoned opinion is hard to find.

Style is built from the ground up!

Sadly true

Thanks everyone. Good post and splendid answers!

Because society is or has been, these people wear blinkers believing on what has been and what was right.

I was just old enough to remember when trouser suits hit the streets in the sixty's.

Strange same argument then and now?

Al

Oh for heaven's sake. When are other women (and some men) going to grow up and realize that what you wear does not determine your gender? Wearing a skirt does not make you feminine, any more than wearing denim jeans and sneakers makes me masculine. I know people who are transvestites, and I know people who are transgendered, so trust me when I say that clothes DO NOT make the man. People who write articles like this irritate me so much. You never see a man writing an article on how women shouldn't wear blazers, or suits, or leather jackets, or any other article of clothing that's been generally defined as 'masculine'. It's ridiculous. Clothes are clothes are clothes. We wear them because we like them, because they keep us warm, because they keep us cool, and because they keep us from getting arrested for indecent exposure. :blinkbigeyes: The one thing we don't wear them for is to be criticized for our choices in wearing them.

oh, I heartly agree with all of you on this, like who in the hell cares what "society" thinks!!?society is just made up of PEOPLE, everyone of us!! people who youd never see twice in a mall or other place,I'd like to think that they (the "crowd" if you will) are invisible when I pass them, I've got way too much on my mind on a daily basis to care what other strangers might be thinking when they see me pass on by, trust me caring enough about them to even think about what they think is a waist of mental power & of my own time!

Lets get sillier

"A Tesco store has asked customers not to shop in their pyjamas or barefoot.

Notices have been put up in the chain's supermarket in St Mellons in Cardiff saying: "Footwear must be worn at all times and no nightwear is permitted."

A spokesman said Tesco did not have a strict dress code but it does not want people shopping in their nightwear in case it offends other customers".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8484116.stm

There is a picture of the lady "banned" in just baggy trousers and Tshirt.

I'm sure we can certainly think of more inappropriate nightwear?

Even throwing down a challenge that some customers would take up. It was roumoured that an ASDA (walmart) store in south London was open for naturist to shop nude on certain nights.

Some people have NO idea of fun

Al

Men have been wearing "skirts" for a long time and still do now... what did man/woman wear when they were first on the planet ? animal skin which was basically a dress in todays terms Look at scotland, men still wear skirts ..... aka ....... a Kilt.. As for Tesco.. OMG what about chefs who wear checky baggy trousers and go shopping ? people do have baggy jog pants... As long as the essentials are covered, you are not in any breach of the law.. this country is getting worse......

... There is a picture of the lady "banned" in just baggy trousers and Tshirt.

I'm sure we can certainly think of more inappropriate nightwear?...

... As long as the essentials are covered, you are not in any breach of the law..

this country is getting worse......

Yes, this country is getting worse, in that (a) people's conduct in public deteriorates all the time, with yobbish and often violent behaviour by both sexes (drink-fuelled or otherwise) on the increase; and (:blinkbigeyes: the 'authorities' steadily clamp-down on normal conduct and traditional freedoms in the name of health and safety or simply to raise money (i.e. you can still do it if you pay for it).

But I for one can see that shopping in nightwear (or beachwear - also banned last summer by at least one supermarket) is potentially offensive to many shops and fellow customers because it may be indecent, unhygienic or dangerous. It is not a matter of being generally lawful to dress in such a way in public, it is a restriction imposed by a business as a condition of entry to its private premises.

Whilst a stunning girl in a skimpy bikini might be a great sight, a slobbish woman in shapeless nightwear (or jogging pants etc) most certainly is not. The simple solution, which I agree with, is to ban inappropriate clothing instore - but I certainly recognise that it may be difficult to determine what is or is not acceptable.

I don't even know why people are surprised, men in skirts is out of the ordinary as is men in heels. Anything perceived as different is always going to be castigated by the narrow minded; men in skirts, homosexuals, black people, men with long hair, you name it I bet you can find someone who's taken the time to post on the internet why it's wrong. Hell, I've even heard people abused over their preferred football team. She doesn't like men to wear skirts, so what? It's just her opinion, and you don't need to give it any more credence than you would that of any other bigot. If you want to wear skirts go for it, but you have to accept that there will always be people who will judge you for it. In an ideal world you wouldn't have to, but it's not an ideal world.

(heavy sigh) Well, all of that blather on that blog was nothing I hadn't read before. The same old prejudice and general narrowminded nonsense from knuckledragging cementheads who openly profess their ignorance in equating clothing with gender and/or sexual preference. None of that surprised me in the slightest, nor did it raise my hackles because it's old as the hills. In other words, nothing new here.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!