Why are women's shoes more comfortable???

Why are womens shoes so much more comfortable??? (I know someone will tell me they're not womens shoes etc. so we can skip that bit) Here's where I'm coming from.... My wife buys some mules (slides) and as is customary now lets me try them on (things are improving on the way to heel acceptance, one step at a time ) wow they are comfy. I decide to get some too, but wife says mens section only so we try some and they are all so awful to wear. I have tried different stores, styles etc. but they are all so uncomfortable. I even made my wife try the mens ones and she agrees the ones from the ladies section are much nicer to wear. Anyone know why ???? Shyguy doomed to discomfort in low heel slides

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Maybe it's because: 1) it's psychosomatic (only in your mind) or, 2) men's shoes have thicker leather making them less pliable or, 3) your feet were made for wearing heels and not flats.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

It could really be 'in your mind' - they're what you want, so they feel better on. Alternatively, I've found that women's shoes are often made to be a little more flexible and lighter, so that a good pair feels much better on. Sounds like you're like me, tho' - you prefer the women's styles, so they feel better. I'm sure that's how it works for me.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

No, I think they really are more comfortable. They have a different shape, and are made of different (usually softer) materials, are often more lightweight, and have a different thickness of sole. They cover the foot in different places, and the fastenings are in a different place.

I think if you are wear something with a high heel, it might be that you are stretching your foot and keeping it flexible? Materials may have something to do with it. Maybe the way the shoe supports the foot helps.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I have to agree with jo. Women's shoes are much more comfortable than men's shoes. Lighter, made of more supple material and usually better padding in the inner sole. I've a pair of black Mootsies Tootsies loafer style sport shoes with 3½" heels that are so nicely padded that it's like walking on pillows when wearing them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

It's definitely not psychological ( I may have psychological probs tho) Even my wife has agreed on the differences. Shyguy

I agree our shoes are much softer and more comfortable.

I wore a pair of my brothers Spanish army boots once (they were size 10 and I did it because my date,ex husband, said... I digress that's another story) and they were the most uncomfortable hard and inflexible things.

Spanish army boots

not a very good example really aye :wink:

But if I were a man I'd were womens shoes too!

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

• 3 weeks later...
:wink: As shoe manufacturers know that women try hundreds of pairs before any decision, and do not worry to let the shoes at the store when they are ugly or no so smooth, or so...they take care to make very good feminine shoes. Otherwise, shoe manufacturers for males know that we, males do not devote any time to select and try any special model, they make anything...and sell it very expensively because we, males, pay for them. That is the reason why women find more models, better manufacture and relatively cheaper shoes than we, males. :D

• 1 month later...

I don't think there's much difference between men's and womens trainers. When it comes to dress shoes, womens are of softer leather which is nice to wear, but often the toe boxes are stupidly narrow. I defy anyone to say a shoe that seriously deforms your foot is comfortable. If you do say it, come back to me in 20 years time, and I guarantee you won't. As for heels, I prefer a shoe with a heel 3-4" which I find comfortable for long periods, but then again I have found some mens shoes just as comfortable too. I prefer the style of the heeled ones so perhaps I just feel more comfortable in them. I'm prepared to go along with the psychosomatic thing, but practically there's little to choose. So much depends on the individual and the type of foot.

No Firefox, I disagree entirely that it's largely psychosematic. It's not psychosematic at all! If, for a moment, we strip-away stylistic differences between male and female footwear and ignore things like high heels and ultra-pointed toes, we can do a straight comparison of say, ordinary flat loafers: The vast majority of men's are made in stiff unyeilding thick hide leather, whereas for women's it is much thinner softer leather, calfskins etc. that instantly feel so much more comfortable on the foot. The vast majority of men's soles are in thick, very inflexible hide leather, whereas the great proportion of women's soles are in much thinner, more flexible materials including rubber and thin composition soles etc. The average woman's version has the uppers lower-cut, not only re. the amount of instep covered, but also around the sides and back, which avoids men's high sides whick can dig-in to the ankle bones. The three above factors all combine to make the overall weight vastly less, which is vastly kinder to the foot. So, all in all, the woman's version with far greater flexibility, lower-cut to avoid irritating the ankles and instep, and far lighter on the foot is INFINITELY MORE COMFORTABLE in every way. I know, because in the process of being drawn towards wearing women's shoes because of the usual sexy aspects of heels and ultra-femine styles, it immediately hit me very markedly that women's ORDINARY unsexy flats, casuals and loafers are so much more pleasant to wear that the ostensibly similar-looking men's versions. Thus for many years now, ALL of my shoes are from the women's department, even though only 50% or less are for thew sexy, heely side of my life life. The others all look perfectly masculine or unisex, and have been purchased PURELY on the grounds of the vastly improved comfort, lightness and flexibility alone. I still try to shop in the men's departments from time to time when I need an ordinary pair to wear with a suit or whatever, but always end up groaning in frustration at the thundering great clod-hopping design and cut, and and the awful stiff, unyielding and inflexible materials used throughout. Dynamite the whole world's men's departments, get all the women's shoes made in ALL sizes (yes. including the boring, flat frumpy styles too) and the comfort-factor for the whole human race will soar! Cheerfully yours, Heelsfan

Onwards and upwards!

I've noticed much the same thing, Heelsfan, tho I'm not as fast a typist so I can't be as verbose, sorry. Good "trainers" in womens' size 13 (US) are difficult to come by, unfortunately, tho New Balance and Nike have been known to make some. The only pairs of men's footwear I own are a pair of New Balance running shoes for over-pronaters, and a pair of very conventional cowboy boots made out of water buffalo hide. My low-heel dress shoes are size 12 wide womens'.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

The vast majority of men's soles are in thick, very inflexible hide leather, whereas the great proportion of women's soles are in much thinner, more flexible materials including rubber and thin composition soles etc.

The vast majority of men's soles are, like womens, made in various artificial materials nowadays. And the thinner the sole the more likley you are to feel stones or sharp objects. There's a balance to be struck.

If women's shoes in general are indeed "kinder to the foot" how do you explain that the people with 90% of all the foot problems are women. Don't take my word for it though; ask any chiropodist or check up on the internet at the official medical sites :wink:

Heelsfan wrote:

Thus for many years now, ALL of my shoes are from the women's department, even though only 50% or less are for thew sexy, heely side of my life life.

Like Heelsfan, all of my shoes are from the women's department. I just find them more comfortable. Besides most of the reasons HF cited, I find they fit me better, are much lighter in weight, and usually have more padding. Besides, the slightly higher heel (2 to 3½") seems better for me.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I concur one hundred percent that women's shoes are indeed lighter, more flexible and more comfortable than men's. I can go eight hours a day, five days a week at the office in 3 to 4 inch heels and feel like I'm walking on air. Of course, proper fit is E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G! If the shoes you wear fit well, then you will be comfortable!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

We were looking at some shoes in Ravel Oxford today, whilst Firefox was buying a new pair of boots :wink: . On one side of the aisle were mens shoes, and the other side womens. The mens shoes all tended to be wide (like flippers) and with a heavy sole. I was wearing a pair of UK size 8 wedge loafers from George at Asda which fit me perfectly. The shoes on the rack were size UK 9 and were at least half as wide again. One thing to consider is that the mans shoe will need to support a heavier weight and will also receive rougher treatment.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

One thing to consider is that the mans shoe will need to support a heavier weight and will also receive rougher treatment.

Why is that? Lots of man have light or average weigth and perform the same desk jobs women do so for all practical purposes they could wear the same footwear as well.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Why is that? Lots of man have light or average weigth and perform the same desk jobs women do so for all practical purposes they could wear the same footwear as well.

I was thinking that generally men are heavier built than women, although there are exceptions, but I'm talking stereotypes here. I was also thinking that the average male will own 1 pair of shoes which he will wear until they are worn out, whict woman will own several pairs of shoes.

However there is still no excuse for the appalling styles which pass as mens footwear.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

However there is still no excuse for the appalling styles which pass as mens footwear.

That's the bottom line Calv, I still think I should have been in Oxford today, I sometimes miss you all, we had a good thing going and I'm happy at least (part of) the UK branch keeps alive. Greetz from Highluc

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 6 months later...

I discovered long ago that women's shoes fit me better than men's. Take your ordinary penny loafer. If I can find a men's narrow there is a good chance I can find a good fit where my heel doesn't slip out every time I take a step. A woman's 11B fits me perfectly, length, width and heel cup.

The three above factors all combine to make the overall weight vastly less, which is vastly kinder to the foot.

So, all in all, the woman's version with far greater flexibility, lower-cut to avoid irritating the ankles and instep, and far lighter on the foot is INFINITELY MORE COMFORTABLE in every way.

Cheerfully yours, Heelsfan

Hi, Heelfan.

I think the tide is turning a bit. I went shopping for men's shoes during Christmas, and was surprised at how many softer, more comfortable shoes there were for men, even in the dress shoe department.

But the vast majority of them we indeed built-up to make my foot look way larger than it does when I'm wearing my Franco Sarto heeled boots (at left).

In fact, my wife can't believe how much smaller my foot looks in them than it does in my hiking boots, or even, for that matter, my dress loafers.

You're right - thick (even padded!) leather vs thin leather.

I think that the point is manly, bold big brash and hard, and feminine petite, pink and soft. And never the twain shall meet, according to most people anyway.

I think that the point is manly, bold big brash and hard, and feminine petite, pink and soft. And never the twain shall meet, according to most people anyway.

What he said. And that men (and men's shoes) are "earthy" (brown/drab/"gkkh"), heavy, brutish, whereas women (and women's shoes) are breathtakingly colorful/gay (and not the homosexual meaning of the word either!), light, soft. Especially the way shoe marketing execs think.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

\

What he said. Especially the way marketing execs think.

Hi, azraelle - I think you're right. You're absolutely right - men's shoes are brutish! I have a pair of men's loafers and a pair of women's loafers. Both look nearly identical in style, and both fit me the same. But the men's loafers are thick across the heel cup, even thicker across the heel, like I need the additional support, or something! In the front there's a similar difference across the ball of my foot, but it's not as noticeable as in the back. As I'm relatively tall and skinny, the men's pair on me looks almost as bad as a pair of clunky fireman's boots, whereas the women's pair looks about right.

• 7 years later...

My work boots are very uncomfortable. Everythng about them the soles, leather etc. I put on my 6" stillettos and find them very comfy. Light weight flexible and open. They seem to just encase my foot while I walk around in them. They feel like they are custom made for my foot. Even the toe box is comfortable.