shoe size

Schernus

Radiodave is right on for the traditional measures. However, I wear a size 10 in men's shoes and can easily wear an 11 in most women's shoes. However there are a couple of brands that I can get a perfect fit with a women's 10 and a few that a 12 is even a bit snug. Of course, I highly suggest that people try on shoes until they gat a good idea of their size, what works for them, and why kind of fit they need. In almost any clothing sizes tend to vary from brand to brand, style to style,material to material with little to no standardization whatsoever. But Radiodave's advice offers the best conventional approximation. Good luck!

Style is built from the ground up!

EU sizes is far more easy. a size 40 for woman is also size 40 for men. that easy.

How strange. Here in Canada we are using both US and EU sizes.

I wear women size 41 and they are smaller than men's 41.

The men's equivalent to women's 41 (US 11) is men's 39 (US 9)

There are too many variable to know what size ones foot is per shoes to be worn. This is why trying on the shoes at the store is the best way of getting the right size for that particular pair of shoes. It all depends on the manufacturer, the type, the style, the materials, and/or the wearer's feet what size should be chosen. Men's shoes are generally made wider than woman's. Pointed shoes usually have to be worn in a size larger than the round toed footwear for the best fit. Leather material tends to expand better than other materials used for uppers.

In the US men's sizes are 2 sizes "smaller" than a woman's shoe. Therefore,a female 12 will fit a American male who normally takes 10s. In the UK, a men's size is about 1 size smaller so a mens 9 is a ladies 10 but only because of the width so a man with narrow feet can get into a womans of the same of his men's size. In Europe the sizes are the same but men's shoes tend to be broader so a man with a wide foot will need to go one size up.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

All of the above statements are true, but the best thing to do is to try the shoes or boots on for the best and most comfortable fit. My men's size is a 7.5 wide in a shoe. My women's size is a 7.5M in a heeled shoe and an 8M or a 9M in a boot. The material, style, and time of day makes a big difference in the comfort and fit, so try them on. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

In the US men's sizes are 2 sizes "smaller" than a woman's shoe. Therefore,a female 12 will fit a American male who normally takes 10s.

In the UK, a men's size is about 1 size smaller so a mens 9 is a ladies 10 but only because of the width so a man with narrow feet can get into a womans of the same of his men's size.

In Europe the sizes are the same but men's shoes tend to be broader so a man with a wide foot will need to go one size up.

If shoe 'size' is an indicator of length (not width), then surely the position in both the UK and continental Europe (your last two paras above) is the same, i.e. men's shoes and women's shoes of a given size have the same nominal length but the women's 'standard width' tends to be narrower than the men's? Or is there something else that needs consideration and explanation?

Two other considerations are the manufacturer and the heel height. Some manufacturers, from my experience, Pleaser, Ellie, and Tony size their boots a little small. I have also found that boots with a higher heel (4 – 5”) require wearing one size larger than a lower heel. I wear an 11 US men’s shoe, a 12 or 13 US women’s show and a 14 US boots with a 4 or 5” heel. The best advice is, if possible, try them on before you buy them. If you have to buy on-line, check the exchange policy before you send money.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.