Kids these day's?

Simcity3

Seen it locally at one of the police organised youth disco/club nights. "SNAP" Made me shudder...... nice heels - just, legs "bean pole", skirt hems knicker hi. Just too young. where's the pervs? comes to mind or, more as the local ladies of the street are really starting early. BIG NO here. And what or why was I there? the youngest daughters and friends went but not like that! I was just the taxi. Al

The age that young women began wearing heels is whenever their parents allow them to start. According to my two daughters, most girls get their first pair of heels around the age of 12 or so. My wife let both of my girls begin wearing heels at 12. 2½" or so, but heels, never the less. (My wife and both girls hardly ever wear heels higher than 3½" high today.) (My sister got her first pair of heels when she was 12. I got my first pair of my own 4" heels when I was 12 (I bought them myself)).

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

My daughter got her first outdoor "heels" at the age of ten and they were 2" block heels and a 1/2" platform. She had 3.5" stilletos in her dressing up box but never wore them outside the house. She got her first proper heels at about 17 or 18 or so and now regularly wears 4" heels and pencil skirts to work! GOD BLESS HER!!!!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

There will be always be kids that look and dress older: 12yr olds dressing like they're 16, and 16 yr olds dressing like they're 21. Do I know the reason for it (why do some parents let that happen), no. Do I think it's that surpising, not now a days.

There was an article in a Canadian newspaper a few years ago. There was a picture of 2 similar looking girls, both in similar outfits. The caption was "which one is 18"? Basically, one was 18 and one was 12. The whole article focused on how the "sexy" look is happening younger and younger with girls. I hate to sound like grandpa, but you can just look at the media, such as magazines as Cosmo, that promote items like that for "eleventeen" year olds to wear.

Yup! It's human nature to want to be grown-up when you haven't had the experiences or the responsibilities. After you have passed that point you consider being grown-up, you begin to wish for the simple days of your youth to come back. Of course, this is a general statement which obviously has exceptions. A measure of age is seeing how much younger high school graduates look each year.

It disturbs me when I see girls that I know can't be more than 10 wearing really high heels. I ask myself what is the mother thinking?

A few possible reasons:

- I've seen some purses that could double for small shopping bags. I don't know if 10yr olds are carrying purses this large (or at all), but if they are, it wouldn't be that difficult to to put a pair of heels in, and then put them on after they left the house.

- it wouldn't surprise me if some parents "parent by association". By that I mean, if one or more members of the group of friends their daughter hangs out with does something, they might think it's okay for their daughter. So, if one girl starts wearing heels or makeup, maybe the mother thinks, "If Mrs Smith is letting Ashley wear heels, I guess I can let my Melissa do it as well..."

- just taking a guess, but mothers who were able to get away with this type of behavior when they were young, may not have a problem with it for their daughters. I'm sure most of us remember pictures of JonBoney Ramsey, the child pagent contestent who was murdered when she was 6. Based on how her mother let her dress at 6, does anyone think she'd get opposition from her mother on wearing makeup and heels when she was just a little older?

I think its to early letting 10-12 year old girls wearing high heels. I think one shall let children be children as long as they can. Very soon you realize as a parent they grown up, they´re not children any more. So I, think let children be children while they can.

..So I, think let children be children while they can.

I don't have children myself, but I do agree with you. From the posts so far, I'd say the consensus seems to also agree.

I don't think this thread is so much about what parents should do, but trying to understand what parents seem to be allowing.

I was at Burger King with a friend of mine with the local high school let out. In walked a wide variety of 16-18 year olds wearing things my high school would never have allowed. One guy was with his girlfriend, and he was wearing long hair in a girl's style, well-manicured fingernails with a cream pearlescent polish, eyeliner, mascara, and clearly female jeans, shirt, and jacket. I thought, "That's terrific!" And I wasn't being facetious about it. My friend, on the other hand, began scoffing left and right, "what's this world coming to," etc. I asked him, "When did you graduate from high school?" He replied, "1972." I thought, "gotcha." I proceeded to ask him if he ever had long hair (yes), wore bell-bottom pants (yes), bracelets (yes) necklaces (yes) or ever had a pair of 70-ish shoes with heels. He balked on the last one, but his long hesitation (rather than a quick no) told me what I needed to know, so I just looked at him for a second, and said, "Well? So what's so different about these kids?" He laughed! Thank God - another breakthrough in realizations. Nothing! Nothing was different about these kids except they were born about 35 years later, and their choice of fashion follows the norms of their day, for their generation, rather than for his generation, or, for that matter, my own. Then I said, "and what's wrong with heels for men? It's not like there's a law against it, or that guys haven't worn heels before. It might not be mainstream fashion right now, but who's to say in a decade things won't be different? You might have to break out those bell-bottom pants..." He laughed again! Laughter is such as wonderful thing.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.