Media outcry about Victoria Beckham's heels

heelma

I recently saw a lot of negative vibes from the media about Victoria Beckham who took her sons to a theme park in C.L. heels that might have been too big for her. Most articles complain that her heels are not appropriate for this.

While I can understand that some people may think like that, I don't really see why this is reason enough for those journalists to throw her right into the garbage. My main criticism is that her shoes look too big and leave that gap in the back. I am actually surprised that she didn't realize this before she wore out those shoes.

Examples:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1159464/Why-Posh-Spice-just-dress-like-ordinary-mum.html

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article5840543.ece

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25128534-5012974,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/03/high-heels

The woman is an idiot. This isn't a 'one off' - she frequently attracts criticism for wearing vertiginous heels in impractical places (as would any other woman who did the same thing, though of course non-celebrities don't get a press write-up about it). She usually compounds the situation by wearing poorly-fitting shoes and affecting a haughty, 'look at me -i'm famous', demeanour. People like her deserve to get 'knocked off their perch' & I'm happy the press are there to do it ;-)

Always High-Heel Responsibly

To quote an old saying "what's good for the goose is good for the gander" -- and vice-versa. She should wear what she likes. She should wear what makes her feel good. Just like we so dearly want to do (and some of us actually do!) I'm sure there's a war going on somewhere, or a company going out of business, or some politician getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar, or some bigwig doing something outrageous -- "real news". As far as I am concerned, anybody who faults her for wearing heels has some deeper agenda.

Have a happy time!

Looks like a lot of newspaper writers and editors have a high heel fetish. Why else would they spend all that space on Posh's feet and shoes? All that concentration and critical comments may be meant to show that they don't have a heel obsession, when it is obvious that they do or they wouldn't keep on about it.

I recently saw a lot of negative vibes from the media about Victoria Beckham who took her sons to a theme park in C.L. heels that might have been too big for her. Most articles complain that her heels are not appropriate for this.

While I can understand that some people may think like that, I don't really see why this is reason enough for those journalists to throw her right into the garbage. My main criticism is that her shoes look too big and leave that gap in the back. I am actually surprised that she didn't realize this before she wore out those shoes.

Examples:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1159464/Why-Posh-Spice-just-dress-like-ordinary-mum.html

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fashion/article5840543.ece

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25128534-5012974,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/03/high-heels

Damned for looking good, and she would be damned if she didnt...

I'd rather hear proper news too, this is just media guff, surrounded in fluff and polished to a buff...

I noticed that the Guardian is the only rag to give her anything like a fair report.

Nevertheless, whenever I read the news I try to always remind myself of what we used to do with it afterwards, i.e. wrap the garbage in it and toss it out. Also, I'd like to remind some of our readers that up in those hills of backwoods West Virginia one can still find homesteads with "outdoor plumbing". I think that in some circles they're still called "thunderboxes". So without going into the various bodily functions, I'd simply like to say that more often than not, one will find a copy of the news in there, and believe me, it wasn't placed there for reading. In fact, some of the nicer ones actually cut the paper into strips for the convenience of the occupant. In any case, it proves that some people truly understand the appropriate place for the news. ;-)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I look at this with mixed feelings. On one side I feel the media is trying to make her become a "People" magazine mom in jeans wearing either sneakers or some flat sandal while taking her child someplace. The other side is that she along with her fellow member of "Spice" were always looking to cause some sort of a brew up just to make news. I remember her being on "Howard Stern" and even pissing him off with her comments.

I think the press should stick to reporting news. I don't really care what the Daily Heil thinks of Victoria Beckham's footwear.

Absolutly...if she went in trainers they write exactly the same story just replace the word "heels" in the article with "trainers".

well, self watch quiet a bit of F-tv, hood music in back round, and plenty of heels to be seen and just seen plenty models with the gap at the back of the shoes IMHO, it does not look that bad besides by who's standard does it look bad or is it unacceptable!! just like we chose to wear heels and ''womans'' shoes, why should she not wear her shoes as she pleases, in what size she pleases!! who made media the judge media suck, have seen it with other issues, its about selling papers, sensations sells papers, even if its at other peoples expenses, the media does not care!! just my 2c!!

like a lot of people, she obviously has a "thing" for shoes. granted, ill-fitting heels on a day out with children is not the wisest of choices. but then i see a lot of writing in this forum about "i put on my X-inch heels and went for a X-mile walk", so who are we (or anybody else) to judge her? i'm sure as she ages and matures, her taste in all-day appropriate footwear will change. i, for one, wish she'd wear her ponyboots enough in public to make them popular. then i could possibly afford them!

society has decided that men will be confined to

certain items of clothing, and certain modes of

presentation.

until we rebel PERSONALLY against this, we are diminished!

I look at this with mixed feelings. On one side I feel the media is trying to make her become a "People" magazine mom in jeans wearing either sneakers or some flat sandal while taking her child someplace. The other side is that she along with her fellow member of "Spice" were always looking to cause some sort of a brew up just to make news. I remember her being on "Howard Stern" and even pissing him off with her comments.

Anybody who can get Howie pissed is welcome at my place! ;-)

Keep on stepping,

Guy N. Heels

I am glad I am not Victoria Beckham with the constant media scrutiny. Our family will be visiting Disney World this year, and yes, on most days, you will find me in a sundress and some stiletto sandals. While I am used to some of the stares, or occasional comments, I would hate to read about my choice in attire in the paper the next day. To me it shows how twisted our society is that we criticize someone who makes an effort to look nice when doing mundane things. Its almost like society says "Hey, we wear sweatpants, sports shoes, without any makeup on weekends, so you should too!!! or else!" I, for one, am glad Victoria rejects that pressure!

• 4 weeks later...

The media usually make up whatever story they want to print; "never let the facts get in the way of a good story". In many cases they write a story before the event has even happened. There's several well-known cases where a review of the first night of a show has been printed, and the paper was actually going to press while the show was supposed to be on, but the show having been cancelled at the very last minute still appeared in the paper as if it had gone on. For elections, they write a set of stories in advance and covering every outcome, so they can go to press within seconds of a result being declared instead of having to wait a few hours for everything to be written, based on what actually happened. So you get a generic story, not the real story. And, when someone famous dies, and the Red Tops have the story on pages 1 and 2, 5 to 8, 11, 14, 17 to 23, 27, 30, 33 to 35, 41, 43, 45 to 49, and 52 - and a pull out 'special' in the centre pages... you don't think most of that was written last month or even last year? As for La Posh, I like her. I think she's quite funny, and she seems reasonably articulate. The shoes? What time of day was this? Does she wear bigger sizes so that foot expansion later in the day doesn't make them cripplingly tight?