Do people frequently forget that they are wearing heels?

Nicole

This question is primarily for the guys who wear heels but I thought that I'd ask it here since it can be asked of ladies as well. As a guy who occasionally wears heels, I am usually rather self-conscious when I wear my heels in public. This is independent of whether or not the shoes are comfortable. It's independent of whether or not I've been wearing heels relatively frequently of late or not. It's independent of what else I am wearing. I think that it boils down to the fact that in general guys do not wear heels in public, and the kind that I wear are generally relatively noticible. Because of this I am more self-conscious when wearing heels then when I wear trainers. Do you folks who wear heels in public often forget or simply not think about what you are wearing, or is it always with you?

the truth shall make you fret

I quite often forget that I'm wearing heels as I'm not that conscious of them. Occasionally, I'll get stared at and I'll wonder "what's wrong with him/her" and then realise "ah, the shoes". Oh well, that's their problem! :( I frequently get pulled up when I'm not wearing heels, more often than not to be asked "no heels today?". "Can't climb over rubble in heels" comes the reply. "Oh!" and that's it. I think it's because I'm a technician that they think I'm not capable of anything else anf they forget I'm a carpenter, electrician and builder :) but heels can't be worn for most of them :o Occasionally, I'll not be wearing heels and still get stared at. Maybe it's because I'm such a handsome b*st*rd :lol:

The only time I really forget I'm wearing heels is when I'm wearing my wedge heel loafers (see my website). This is because they're very easy on my feet, very easy to walk in, and a very male style that makes me a lot less concious about them.

When I'm wearing any of my other pairs, however, I'm normally VERY concious of wearing them, and very concious of what people around are looking at, to see if anyone's looking at my heels.

One day I will have the ability to forget what I'm wearing on my feet, and ignore people's reactions... but that will come with time. And good things come to those who wait. :lol:

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

I am not sure that I understand the "or is it always with you?" part correctly... But I "simply" make a quick decision among my heels depending on the weather and/or clothing and on they get and off I go to do my errands.

TallSwede

Um poor phrasing on my part- sorry. The question should read "is the knowledge that you are wearing high heels always with you?".

the truth shall make you fret

SH wrote:

Do you folks who wear heels in public often forget or simply not think about what you are wearing, or is it always with you?

The fact that you are wearing heels in public isn't ever far from the "front" of your awareness. I find my awareness is directly proportional to how much I am concentrating on something else. By that I mean, walking through a mall going shopping, I am more aware that I am wearing heels than I am while or browsing or looking for something specific in Radio Shack or a book store.

Also, I'm sure you'll find the longer you've been wearing heels in public, the less attention you pay to what's on your feet.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

After more than 30 years of regular wearing I still am consious about which heels I wear. I still enjoy every step I make on them. I often look at them when sitting down and often try to show them off to other girls or women just to see their reaction and getting them used to see heels on men. I mostly try to wear heels with a good camber on the lower arch and this is not only to have better support but also to enhance the feel on my feet. When wearing some of my higher or more daring heels (or a new pair) the feeling is even greater. I love this so much I hope it will never become senseless to me, the wearing becomes casual, the walk natural, the gait normal, the posture straight, but for me the sensations last forever and I never get tired of looking at the great models adoring my feet. I'm curious to read the reactions of our heel wearing girls regarding this topic. I just can't imagine all those girls only wear heels to seduce men, I suspect a lot of them do it because they like the sensations and looks.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

If I'm in a hurry or preoccupied with some little emergency, then it is fairly easy to forget I'm wearing them, until I stand up! It is hard to walk in them using regular "kalump, kalump" male low-heeled "loping gait" -- can't walk graceful at all, or comfortably for that matter. Quite frequently don't remember, especially if preoccupied, to tilt hips forward as far as possible, thus increasing the curve or "sway" in the small of the back, at same time relaxing abdominal muscles--then walking in heels can be very graceful and natural feeling, and can even forget you are wearing them for a time while walking along. Often what reminds me is sight of a pretty girl in low-cut jeans strolling along--that is how they seem to walk, even in low heels, but most likely subconsciously.

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I think the term I heard once was "aware but not conscious of them," or was it the other way around. As said elsewhere in this thread, it depends on the shoes and the length of time I've been wearing them without incident. What surprises me though is the number of times I'll be wearing something very modest like a pair of plain old wooden sole clogs and someone, always male, practically falls over staring at them.

I never forget completely that I'm wearing heels, but after an hour or so of wearing them it's no longer at the front of my mind. For instance, if I'm out with friends, then I'll put them on, and then just get on with what we're doing, and I'll forget until something reminds me, like having a go on a driving video game and having to remember how to drive in heels. But no, I never 100% forget, but then again, I never 100% forget I'm wearing clothes :lol:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

When I am wearing high heels, I am always conscious of this fact. I guess that's because the heel heights are so high in my case.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

When i'm wearing heels, I do sometimes forget about it, but not often

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

I snipped this from Azraelles post: "to tilt hips forward as far as possible, thus increasing the curve or "sway" in the small of the back, at same time relaxing abdominal muscles--then walking in heels can be very graceful and natural feeling, and can even forget you are wearing them for a time while walking along." This is one of the mayor reasons for my own use of HH's as this change in posture allows me to severely cut down the need/use of pain-killers for my (incurable) back problems. The fact that I also do like the look of HH's are just an extra bonus... :lol: TallSwede

This is one of the mayor reasons for my own use of HH's as this change in posture allows me to severely cut down the need/use of pain-killers for my (incurable) back problems. The fact that I also do like the look of HH's are just an extra bonus... :(

TallSwede

Do you have Ankylosing Spondylitis by any chance? Two of my older (by 6 & 8 years, respectively) brothers have it. My oldest brother has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and that may be what I have "lucked out" with (neither is an enviable condition, but since both are hereditary, Rheumatoid seems preferable to Ankylosing). HH might have helped my brothers 20 years ago, perhaps even now for one, but the other is too far gone/bowed. :lol:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Azraelle, You got it right on the first guess! :lol: -I'll buy you a beer whenever we happen to meet. I prefer my AS compared to RA, because AS can be kept under control by the individually required amount of exercises (remember the old motto that states that "A rolling stone gathers no moss"), while RA (at least with the current medical knowledge) is a more or less fast downhill experience... :( My lower spine and back is (already) totally solidified, but it has been static like that for over 20 years by now, so I cant complain. -Fact is that I have gotten compliments on my posture sometimes. 5" heels are the ideal for me, and I can walk all day in them without getting tired, but a few pair of shoes like a pair of size UK10/US12 from Hayway advertised as having a 5" heel were in fact closer to 6" (I am sure Dr Shoe can give the best explaination about how a shoemaker tries to keep the "look" of the shoe "intact" as the size goes up or down) are still too high in the heels for me to walk unhindered in. -Then I also stay at 4" heels when I expect "cross-country" activities as it requires some margin when walking down steep slopes... TallSwede

Yes, most of the time I forget I am wearing them, as physically I'm very used to wearing 4" heels. And in, many of the circles I move in, people are quite used to seeing me wear them, so it's no big deal. I realise my circumstances are different to many, so this is not going to be a widespread view.

For me it's often so that I forget about them when I can't hear them. Honestly! When I am wearing boots under 4" with rubber heel caps, I might just forget about them after a while. That is because I don't have to pay any specific attention to them to stay upright as quiet (=soft) ones often have better traction behaviour. The ones with hard plastic heel caps are a different story because if I step outside with those (on the ice) and I am not aware of what my feet are doing I have a close encounter with the sidewalk in no time. So if I hear myself clacking by I am constantly reminded that some attention is required. But after having been in a disco for example where you can't hear you own heels, I'm often surprising myself when coming out that I'm having heels on. A drinking buddy of mine said last saturday suddenly "About what you are wearing: in the beginning I thought it was quite stupid but now I think it is kind of cool". Since I was wearing my 3 1/2" Bronx boots, that was obviously what he meant. But it took me half a minute to realize it, since I didn't see anything unusual with my jeans and shirt. And I often say to myself that I'm going to get busted some day since I have to remember to take them off as my wife does not want to see me when wearing them...

What's all the fuss about?

Yes, it is easy for me to forget that I'm wearing heels while at the office because wearing them has become as natural to me as breathing itself. And that only increases my enjoyment wearing them is second nature to me! :-)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!