Street heeling in Manchester

traceyloveshoes

I managed 3 hours round Manchester city centre on Sunday and didn’t stop or sit once. Got off the train wearing my 4 inch stiletto heel boots. Walked through the town centre and the Arndale centre in them browsing through all the shoe shops I passed. Then on the way back I went in a shoe shop and tried some pairs on (this was the first time I sat down) and decided to buy a pair of patent red stilettos with a 5 inch heel and 1 inch platform. I left these on and carried boots that I wore originally in the box and continued my way back to the train station, where I boarded the train and changed back to my mens shoes. I had and awesome day, no-one said anything to me, not many people even noticed i don’t think. Standing waiting for the train I think a few people clocked me but again nothing was said. When I got home I had a blister and my toes were sore but it was well worth it. I’m thinking I might do it again round Preston next week and make it a bit longer this time. That’s it I’m hooked on street heeling again (it’s been a while) and I love it.

I'll be interested to see what you get around Preston. To me, Manchester's a lot more forgiving than the other Northern towns, but it'd be good to have some comparisons!

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

I have always found Manchester to be a very accepting place. I dont live in the UK but spend quite a bit of time in the north west. It is one city I would feel comfy street heeling in. I spend a lot of my time in Liverpool and there is no way in hell I would ever street heel there. I have seen quite a few people who's dress falls outside the 'normal' bracket and they have been shouted at on the street. Well done traceyloveshoes. Btw what is Manc like for buying heels. I got some very strange looks when I bought boots in a size 8 in another location.

Btw what is Manc like for buying heels.

I've not had any problems from staff or shoppers, though some odd looks from other shoppers when trying on boots in a crowded Evans in the Trafford Centre. The staff couldn't care less - it's a sale!

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

Yeah I agree, shop staff not bothered at all they probably get men trying heels on a lot more than you think. At least they seemed at ease anyway. Tried shoes on various different shops (there are lots of them) didn't feel uncomfortable at all, got a few looks of other customers every now again but who cares. It's not against the law. I did have my brave head on though! I have been street heeling in Blackpool too, I think a few more people noticed but still nothing to worry about, no comments. Shop staff, no reaction to sometimes helpful. I'll let you know how i get on in Preston. Thanks for your comments

I meant to add earlier that all these places have been right in the city/town centre. Like many other have posted I think where there is a large population of people in one place they are only interested in their own agenda and don't seem to notice others. I too would think twice about street heeling on the outskirts of town. Thanks again for your comments

well today I want to preston and well... I bottled it at the last minute. God damn nerves!! although i did do some shoe shopping and tried on many pairs in different shops. All the shop staff were very nice and one girl in particular had a nice chat with me. I started by asking who the were for and I said they were for me and then she asked how come they are for me? A party right? No I said I just like to wear high heeled shoes. The young lady said that the style I choose looked great on me and that if women can were mens shoes then why not vice versa. Anyway due to not have the funds at the moment I had to decline the shoes (there were expensive). I thanked the lady for her help and she replied no problem come back any time. That put a big smile on my face and I wish I had not bottled it in the first instance now. I'll try to be braver next time!

I've been street heeling in Manchester on many occasions with no problems whatsoever. I think it's the one thing I miss about living there! It is good for shoe shopping as is the Trafford Centre, where I have tried on heels in Evans, Faith and Schuh. Cumbria gives the impression of being rather less cosmopolitan! Chris

I really don't know how you guys do it. I really would love to go out in heels, but I just don't have the guts to do it :winkiss:

That's an understandable thing to have said. I'm sure all of us who frequent this board, myself included have said that very thing after reading the exploits of others who've gone out in heels and wishing we had the courage to do that ourselves. Until we finally mustered up the nerve to conquer our fears and insecurities to finally go out ourselves. And once we've gone out on that all-important first outing and discovered just how easy it really is, that our fears really weren't as terrible as we thought, we invariably wish we had done it sooner. At the end of the day, it all depends on the person and his comfort level when it comes to wearing heels in public, some develop that comfort level early, others, not at all. Hopefully, you'll eventually join us out in public one day.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I really don't know how you guys do it. I really would love to go out in heels, but I just don't have the guts to do it :winkiss:

I totally agree. I know the world won't stop, I know most people won't care... and yet something stops me taking the plunge. I'm hoping to talk one of my girlfriends into coming with me for moral support...

So, to all of you already doing it, I salute you

K

xx

Here Here! I'm sort of chicken here so far and again would also love to walk out with my lady, (who is using her 4" wedges more often). I do mornings just out to my car and the drive in, some home returns and odd journeys. Incidentily, my driving style is gentlier with heels,- not turbo luney mode.

You're not alone. I think most everyone here felt the same way. I know I did.

My own first outing was just a couple of weeks ago, and I had the worst case of butterflies I can remember feeling in years. I was wearing jeans, a T-shirt, and a brand new pair of black, 4" stiletto ankle boots. It was a Saturday afternoon, and I sat in the parking lot of a grocery store for several minutes before I finally managed to summon the courage to take the first step out of my car.

You can read about the rest of my first experience here.

Suffice it to say, it proved to be incredibly exciting, and a helluva a lot of fun. But you have to experience it, first-hand, to truly understand just how incredibly easy it really is. People just don't care.

There is, however, at least one aspect of street-heeling you should be aware of - the moment you walk in someplace where you're known as a frequent customer, anyone who knows you there is going to learn that you like to wear women's shoes. The only question you have to ask yourself is how comfortable you are with people you know, knowing that about you.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

If you are going to wear your high heels out in public, you had better not care if anyone that you knows see you in heels. Because, it's a small world out there and at some time or another, when you think you're safe because you are far from your usual haunts, someone you know will pop-up with a big smile on their face, looking directly at you and your shoes. It's heart attack time. However, if you can just be yourself, you can overcome the shock (yours) and chances are that they'll not really notice.:winkiss:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

It's certainly been uplifting reading this. I live in a small town, and it's quite a conservative place, but that's no reason not to go a little further afield for a buying/street-heeling session. The more I read this, the more I know I want... no, need... to do this :winkiss: K xx

All of the above postings on streetheeling are absolutely true. The first one is the hardest. After that you want to do it as often as you can and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. You have heard the phrase,"Come on in ,the water is fine". Well in this case, it is not only fine, it is fantastic. Come on in and join those who have found the many joys of streetheeling. After the first time, the butterflies settle down. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I realize there is a commute factor which could be a bit inconvenient, but has anyone here thought about attending the World Heel Meet 2009? We will have exclusive use of a public venue, giving the more shy among us, a chance to wear their heels in public amongst other supportive heelers, while still maintaining their privacy from the general public. It's a great window of opportunity for anyone to take advantage of while the chance is there.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

As stated earlier I took the plunge on street heeling a few weeks back and then bottled it last week mainly because Preston is much closer to home than Manchester. As kneehighs suggests for all of us in the NW the heelmeet in London would be a great place to take the plunge with lots of heel friendly people in a place(London) where you a never gonna bump into anyone you know. I think to myself ' I can get on train and go streetheeling aroung Manchester then surely I can go as far a field as London'. Some of us could even meet up and travel together! Me and the Mrs were planning a weekend in London at some point as I've never been ( I heard the streets are paved with gold! lol ) The weekend of the heelmeet would be like squishing 2 birds with one stiletto! I will have to discuss it with the Mrs. nearer the time.

I think to myself ' I can get on train and go streetheeling aroung Manchester then surely I can go as far a field as London'.

*chuckle* I wore a (long, denim) skirt and some 4" knee boots home on the train from London to Manchester last year. It drew little attention, and no more than a couple of sniggers as I walked 4 carriages to the shop and back. 40 year old fat bloke, not trying to pass - just a bloke in a skirt and heels travelling on the train with his wife. Got off at Piccadilly, waited in the queue for a taxi... no problem.