Which music do you listen?

Which music do you like? And how do you fit your heels in it?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Which music do you like? And how do you fit your heels in it?

• Rock
    • Punk
    • Metal
    • Rockabilly
    • Classic
    • Folk
    • Dance
    • Rap
    • Jazz
    • Other

Agreed, poll is far to limited. My own personal high heeling theme has been Push It by Garbage. When it comes to music I am extremely eclectic, I like many styles of music.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Heavy rock Stray, Hawkwind (70s era) UFO, Budgie and more Early Punk rock (not the punk era) Pink Fairies Progressive Caravan, Curved Air, Pink Floyd etc Odds - Electronic and more Tangerine Dream, Apocalyptica. Also my daughters Uni. orchestra. (Portsmouth). Al

Hmm.. Heels and music.. odd relationship for myself as I have played MANY gigs in heels. Stuff people probably wouldnt guess I would play. Everything from Classical to 80's Metal. Im not much into ' newer ' stuff or anything thats made by machines IE: Techno. Music is the only sore-spot in my life as I like music made by musicians or ' human beings ', not a sample and someone talking along over it. Bands like Fates Warning, Yes, Genesis, Police, Rush.. Thats what I usually listen to. Geddy Lee Said it best : All this machinery making modern music Can still be open-hearted. Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty. One likes to believe in the freedom of music, But glittering prizes and endless compromises Shatter the illusion of integrity. No integrity/honesty in electronic ' music ' for *me*.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Your selection list does seem somewhat limited, but we couldn't really have all possibilities up for a vote. I really hadn't given it much thought as it relates to heels. I wasn't wearing heels when I was playing music, and going to places as such. (Western boots don't count) As for these days, well there isn't much locally music wise unless your into some serious bluegrass. The few local places tend to play a lot of country music, but may dabble in classic rock. Anymore I tend to stay away from these places as I'm just not into the music selections that come from the garage bands and canned playlists. Would really like to be able to hit the Cleveland or Columbus scene, but that becomes a hec of a drive, and working 10 to 12 hours on night shift doesn't help either. Hmmm - - now that I think of it, the only place locally that might play music I might like, and would be tolerant of a dude in high heels would be the strip club outside of town. There is no way I'm wearing heels to a pole barn that plays bluegrass, or the local VFW, American Legion.

Geddy Lee Said it best :

All this machinery making modern music

Can still be open-hearted.

Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question

Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty.

One likes to believe in the freedom of music,

But glittering prizes and endless compromises

Shatter the illusion of integrity.

Got to love a bit of Rush!. Mainly Rock but more recently getting into female vocalists like Caire Macguire & the gorgeous Erin Bode

Started this tread and had to go to shopping quickly, (no heels:) ), so practicly didn't had time to write something specific. For me, heels are mostly associated with rock punk and metal music, althoug in my case litle extremier, evolution of hair metal of 80's, some kind of trash-glam metal and ghotic kind of metal hybrids. Mostly mean and dominant attitude, let's say, rr guitar and pleaser platform stilletos, chains, leather, something like w.a.s.p. on steroids!:wavey:

Lilikekicke, I gather you are a performer. Do you have any videos of your groups performances posted on YouTube, etc., that we might look at and get some idea of what type of music you play?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Lilikekicke, I gather you are a performer. Do you have any videos of your groups performances posted on YouTube, etc., that we might look at and get some idea of what type of music you play?

If you send me a private message with an email addy, I will gladly e-mail you studio recordings.

I do a LOT of all instrumental ( non-vocal ) work in a studio session group. I have a small recording setup at the house here and my brother owns a full production studio and runs the road engineering for a couple country artists.

I like the Studio more then playing live due to the environments.

Like I said before, im much more of a Pop/R&B (90's) guy. Im not too keen on the current charts, and I tend to prefer female vocals over male any day. Im not exactly a fan of autotune, but I dont mind it. I think the whole "the music of day vs the music of then" argument is extremely stupid, and always one-sided by age 90% of the time. Im a free spirited musical minded person, I like everything from the Rat Pack, Tracy Chapman, The Fugees to Nicki Minaj, Lil' Kim to M.I.A to Gaga to Kylie to Bullet For My Valentine to Trivium to my all-time favourite Korean group Girls Generation & Super Junior and Japanese group Perfume! Having a wide music variety is important to me, especially as I love my music more than I do anything else in the world. I just find the whole war against autotune very outdated and worthless. Autotune does ruin talent, and it's mainly just for clubbing purposes, but it's fun, sometimes catchy and it does it's purpose. I prefer real talent over autotune any day dont get me wrong, but I have nothing against it. In my opinion is dosn't make your music choises anymore valid or make your status on music any higher. But it is all personal opinion, I for one HATE Country & Folk music in general, I can't stand it. You all have brilliant taste from what I can tell though. especially Tony Bennet and Rush, I approve! :wavey:

What Other People Think Of Me, Ain't None Of My Buisness ~ RuPaul

I just find the whole war against autotune very outdated and worthless.

Autotune does ruin talent, and it's mainly just for clubbing purposes, but it's fun, sometimes catchy and it does it's purpose. I prefer real talent over autotune any day dont get me wrong, but I have nothing against it. In my opinion is dosn't make your music choises anymore valid or make your status on music any higher. But it is all personal opinion, I for one HATE Country & Folk music in general, I can't stand it.

You all have brilliant taste from what I can tell though. especially Tony Bennet and Rush, I approve! :wavey:

We opened for a band in 4 locations on a small ' tour ' if one would call it. Their vocalist would NOT get in front of his Mic without processing. Without the processing, he had no voice. *I* could sing better then he could and I absolutely hate doing it ( singing ).

While you feel this ' war ' against autotune is outdated and worthless, I find most of the people who use such to be worthless of ' talent '. Im not saying they dont do ' entertaining ' things or they arent creative by any means, but ' talent '? Really?

A fair comparison is to my picking up a guitar and plugging it into a Mesa Rectifier.. and having no strings on the Guitar to begin with..

If autotune was mainly for ' clubbing ', I might be inclined to say its useful, but its used in too many studios right now. People make these wonderful recordings and then take all their processors on the road with them. Its like a drunk needing their bottle to keep things going.

I ( just like you ) dont care for Country or Folk music. Theres no ' energy ' in it for me ( for the most part. There are a few songs I do like ). If its on the radio, I will change the channel, guaranteed! BUT! If I have to choose between Lady GaGa/Some techno group or seeing a country/folk act sitting down with acoustic guitars and a cheap PA with no processing.. Country/Folk it is! Why? I know what it takes to perform with an instrument and working with others, not having a computer ' fix ' everything where I can be sloppy.

Theres a big difference in appreciating ' Talent ' and ' Entertainment '. :) . One doesnt need ' talent ' to be entertaining.

BUT! If I have to choose between Lady GaGa/Some techno group or seeing a country/folk act sitting down with acoustic guitars and a cheap PA with no processing.. Country/Folk it is! Why? I know what it takes to perform with an instrument and working with others, not having a computer ' fix ' everything where I can be sloppy.

Theres a big difference in appreciating ' Talent ' and ' Entertainment '. :wavey: . One doesnt need ' talent ' to be entertaining.

Gaga can sing. Shes never lip synced a show, and seeing her live just prooved to me she can sing. Her songs are LIGHTLY autotuned, as are beyonces and the majoirty of artists today because thats the sound, the perfection everyone is after. When you CAN'T sing and you sound like Ke$ha, it's obvious, but when you can sing like Beyonce or GaGa, it's only done for perfection. Because if the only people who were allowed to make albums were those who dont need autotune to still achieve todays standard (forget 30 years ago), there would only be about 5 artists. And 3 of them would be dead.

What Other People Think Of Me, Ain't None Of My Buisness ~ RuPaul

Nice comments ILK I agree music in studio and on the road should be as heard and not processed! I often feel cheated when a band performs so perfectly that there is no difference between what was live and studio, however an orchestra is expected to perform as written by the composer. Whilst cover versions often can be poor copies, sometimes someone does something that makes it special. I want an artist to be different on stage than in studio, in part it's showmanship and playing to the audience/atmosphere, I expect errors, broken sticks and strings and with added emotion. The electronics of Tangerine Dream live is never as per studio, each performance comes out different with more sequences and rhythm overlays which I like and with more family members playing conventional instruments there is more raw emotion available. Al

We opened for a band in 4 locations on a small ' tour ' if one would call it. Their vocalist would NOT get in front of his Mic without processing. Without the processing, he had no voice. *I* could sing better then he could and I absolutely hate doing it ( singing ).

While you feel this ' war ' against autotune is outdated and worthless, I find most of the people who use such to be worthless of ' talent '. Im not saying they dont do ' entertaining ' things or they arent creative by any means, but ' talent '? Really?

A fair comparison is to my picking up a guitar and plugging it into a Mesa Rectifier.. and having no strings on the Guitar to begin with..

If autotune was mainly for ' clubbing ', I might be inclined to say its useful, but its used in too many studios right now. People make these wonderful recordings and then take all their processors on the road with them. Its like a drunk needing their bottle to keep things going.

I ( just like you ) dont care for Country or Folk music. Theres no ' energy ' in it for me ( for the most part. There are a few songs I do like ). If its on the radio, I will change the channel, guaranteed! BUT! If I have to choose between Lady GaGa/Some techno group or seeing a country/folk act sitting down with acoustic guitars and a cheap PA with no processing.. Country/Folk it is! Why? I know what it takes to perform with an instrument and working with others, not having a computer ' fix ' everything where I can be sloppy.

Theres a big difference in appreciating ' Talent ' and ' Entertainment '. :wavey: . One doesnt need ' talent ' to be entertaining.

Being a brass player, autotune becomes your ear. You do it yourself.

Gaga can sing. Shes never lip synced a show, and seeing her live just prooved to me she can sing. Her songs are LIGHTLY autotuned,

A pair of TASCAM TA-1VP's and a TC-Helicon unit is ' lightly ' processed

? Your going to GUARANTEE me shes never lip-synched? I'll take your word for it. :wavey:

Ontop of ' Autotune ', she also uses Compressors, Limiters, Sustainers, 2 or 3 BBE Sonic Maximizers, a Pre-amp..

I know Rob Fusari would strongly beg to differ on what your saying ( Google him. Hes a great guy! ). I understand you might see her as some kind of ' champion ' to your cause, but her performance and what she uses on stage is no different then anyone else these days.

as are beyonces and the majoirty of artists today because thats the sound, the perfection everyone is after.

When I want to hear something close to perfection, Ill sit back with some old analog Motown, The Beatles or anything from the ' non-computer world ' as what you hear is what they had. Its ' true ' voice, not ' false '. Hearing the needle crack on the vinyl.. its stimulating. Its human.

When you CAN'T sing and you sound like Ke$ha, it's obvious, but when you can sing like Beyonce or GaGa, it's only done for perfection.

I will let you live in your beliefs, but I will say I feel your being ' too nice ' to those individuals. Its NOT done for ' Perfection ' as NO musical score is ' perfect ' and none is ever finished or played the *exact* same way twice. THAT, I will guarantee you.

Because if the only people who were allowed to make albums were those who dont need autotune to still achieve todays standard (forget 30 years ago), there would only be about 5 artists. And 3 of them would be dead.

Im going to state that the BEST musicians are in their garages, right now. They are in their mother and fathers basements learning the fundamentals of music theory. They are learning what harmonic and melodic entities are and they are learning to put them together.

I understand your into the whole ' club ' scene. What I would ask you is if there was no electricity, could ANY of the people you mentioned pick up an instrument and keep the show going? Im sure your going to jump for joy about ' GaGa ', but without all the digital effects, her music is outright boring. Once the flashing lights are gone and the processors cant run, people will leave.

When you cant sing like Nat King Cole, Aretha Franklin, Luther Vandross, Pavarotti, Marian Carey, Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, Marvin Gaye, Gladys Knight, Freddie Mercury, Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett.. For the rest, theres autotune and a 6 foot high 19inch wide standard rack mount system full of toys..

( NOTE: Everyone listed was doing their thing long before modern digital studios were around. Some even before a hard-drive existed! )

It takes more then Apple-loops, Autotune and a PC/Mac to be a ' Musician '. Theres MANY studios out there that still use 16track analog tape machines to capture sound. Theres reasons why digital amplifiers that hit the market in the mid 80's never caught on and are seldom used 30 years later.

Your into the ' entertainment ' side of things, just as many others are. Theres nothing wrong with that.

Todays music lacks talent. Take away the electricity, give them acoustic instruments, and see how far they go, Thats all I would ask.

Im thinking your under the age of 30 and havent been to an old-school concert to experience exactly what true sound is like. I wish there was a way to take a lot of the people of today back-in-time to experience such an event!

Nice comments ILK I agree music in studio and on the road should be as heard and not processed!

Theres MANY reasons why people use processors.

I record guitar tracks in 3 different locations. One is an abandoned warehouse, One is an old Church and has a HUGE Cathedral Ceiling to it ( like 40 feet up! ) and the third is a 12x14 wood walled room.

When we play somewhere, its IMPOSSIBLE to replicate the original sound. You can make it somewhere that could be called ' close ', but it just doesnt sound ' close ' to me.

So.. I only use 4 sounds. Overdriven Rhythm, Overdriven Lead, Clean Chorus and a Verbed Chorus. Thats it, nothing more. 2 amps ( 1 on and 1 for backup ) and ( usually ) 3 different guitars to change the basic tone.

I often feel cheated when a band performs so perfectly that there is no difference between what was live and studio, however an orchestra is expected to perform as written by the composer.

I NEVER play songs exactly as they were written/recorded.

Whilst cover versions often can be poor copies, sometimes someone does something that makes it special.

I think a good example would be ' Every little thing she does is magic ' by the Police.. Check out the version ' Ra ' did of it.

I want an artist to be different on stage than in studio, in part it's showmanship and playing to the audience/atmosphere, I expect errors, broken sticks and strings and with added emotion.

A lot of what the guys I work with have done is ' think of the road ' mentality. Its a 5 piece unit with 1 guitar. The keyboard/piano player CAN play guitar but hes not really into it. Some of our originals have 2 guitar parts. He cant replicate some of what I did in the studio. He plays rhythm parts that are ' stripped down '. It changes the whole thing up.

We also intentionally play at differing speeds/BPM's.

The electronics of Tangerine Dream live is never as per studio, each performance comes out different with more sequences and rhythm overlays which I like and with more family members playing conventional instruments there is more raw emotion available.

I do like ' mixtures '. A good example would be what Anthrax and Public Enemy did in ' bring the noize '. Thrash Metal meets Rap. I remember the first time I heard it.. ' WTF is that?!!? '. I then saw it all live in 1991 or 1992 in New York City at a club. It was better live then off cassette!

• Like 1

The best thing in the whole wide world of music is to hear players mistakes live, to hear some improvisation, and sound of guitar through marshall or mesa boogie stack, eventually some chorus and delay forcertain passages and that's it, something like Zakk Wylde's approach to music and playing! That is a miracle!

I' m fan of classical rock bands like Rolling Stones, Creedence, Beatles and Queen. Also, the great masters of blues and rock nroll like Ray Charles, BB King and Chuck Berry...and many more. But...if you are talkin about "high heel music".nothing better than dance in a disco with high - heel - platform boots listening Madonna, Donna Summer or Gloria Gaynor. :wavey:

Elegance is my second name

Even though I don't really like madonna, Roxy you're totaly right, that girls and their music screams: heels!:wavey: Ain't saw males wearing heels in that kind of genre, but rock and metal and heels are more heels for men oriented, cause some kind of rebellion against standards and etiquettes. And for me, heels are just fudamental detail in that kind of rock/metal expression, my own unique style, not for attracting attention on myself like some so cal celebritys in our country who wear heels just to be seen, but to express my attitude against everything what we've been taught as children during our education and brainwashed to become exemplary persons in this hipocritical society, and less individuals who seeks other options and learn how to be yourself, without imaginary boundaries and cages! To see other options, not approved by authorities in science, education, lifestyle and others. Just man in heels and proud of that!

99% of what I listen to are live recordings... I love to hear a whoops now and then.. The sound of fingers sliding on strings beween notes or chords (think, "Every Breath you take" by the Police)... The things that make music, human.. Artists in my playlist include, but are not limited too: Jeff Beck The Modern Jazz Quartet Robert Cray Emmylou Harris Keith Richards (with and w/o the Stones) Pearl Jam Stevie Ray Vaughan Imelda May

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

99% of what I listen to are live recordings... I love to hear a whoops now and then.. The sound of fingers sliding on strings beween notes or chords (think, "Every Breath you take" by the Police)... The things that make music, human..

Artists in my playlist include, but are not limited too:

Jeff Beck

The Modern Jazz Quartet

Robert Cray

Emmylou Harris

Keith Richards (with and w/o the Stones)

Pearl Jam

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Imelda May

Ohhhhh - - The Police

Saw them in concert many years ago (Ghost in the Machine tour) what a great show.

Music and heels. An intoxicating mix for me. I like a lot of classic rock. Deep Purple , Led Zep , Sabbath etc. An era when platforms were cool. I listen to guitar music all the time. Django , Jerry Reed , Tony Rice ,Chet etc. Anyone can fake a good sound thru a Marshall stack and multi F/X units. Give someone an acoustic guitar and then see how they get on! Having said that give me a Fender Stratocaster , a Mesa Boogie Mk3 and my favourite 4" heel boots and watch me go. Heaven..... In complete contrast Madonna completely fits in with heels. I've been a fan since 1984. Going to see her in London this summer. My 6th time. Rock on:smile:

"You put high heels on and you change" M. Blahnik

In complete contrast Madonna completely fits in with heels. I've been a fan since 1984. Going to see her in London this summer. My 6th time.

Rock on:smile:

Lucky you...

Elegance is my second name

Anyone can fake a good sound thru a Marshall stack and multi F/X units. Give someone an acoustic guitar and then see how they get on!

Yep! They might even make a few million and celebrity status doing it too!

Having said that give me a Fender Stratocaster , a Mesa Boogie Mk3 and my favourite 4" heel boots and watch me go. Heaven.....

Fellow Boogier :wavey: