Numbness from heels after PROM?

b-baller08

Question

Hey everyone so i just had PROM on friday and i had these amazing, BEAUTIFUL 5 inch heels that i wore for most of the night. i dont usually wear heels that big..but i felt fine in them.no pain or anything until i took them off.. My big toe on my left foot is really numb and it has already been 3 days and is still numb. Should i be worried or is this normal? will it heal okay? any serious damage done? thanks :thumbsup:

11 answers to this question

To be honest I have never had that but I do get numbness in other parts of the foot sometimes. Have you ever injured that toe in the past? Sometimes if you have an old injury wearing heels you aren't used to can cause things that you'd forgotten about to flare up. You will probably find that it will wear off after a few more days as any effects from wearing higher heels than you're used to can take up to a week to wer off.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hey everyone

so i just had PROM on friday and i had these amazing, BEAUTIFUL 5 inch heels that i wore for most of the night. i dont usually wear heels that big..but i felt fine in them.no pain or anything until i took them off..

My big toe on my left foot is really numb and it has already been 3 days and is still numb.

Should i be worried or is this normal? will it heal okay? any serious damage done?

The nerve in the toe has been damaged but after a while it will heal.

It sounds like you're feet just aren't used to shoes like that.

You need to avoid wearing them for a while and let it recover.

Sounds like a shoe size issue, or one of those people who can't wear pointed toe heels? Or were you wearing sandals? Also wearing 5" Heels with out lots off practice might have hurt it as well.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

This might be of interest.

... and, to quote a cardiologist friend of mine, "all medications' possible side-effects lists end with 'fits, coma, death'."

Good article, well-drawn, it would be really useful if they'd bothered to put the probabilities of developing the relevant conditions in there!

I've now left HHPlace. Feel free to use the means listed in my profile if you wish to contact me.

LOL I am sure it all depends on the body type of the wearer (guess only). I am a big guy, with small dainty feet, so I would "assume" I would come down with more foot problems than most. So far...so good (knocking on wood). But, my knees hyperextend, which offsets the spine curving effects of heels to a point, so this is an advantage, I believe. No knee problems (really knocking on wood, now). Too many variables, I think.

Walking in ultra-highs because it's exciting...and it is!!

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. I worn 4.5" heels to a club once and danced for about 3hrs straight. Three small toes on my right foot were totally numb afterwards but the senses came back after a few days in flats. As for the experience thing, I usually wear 5.5" heels around the home :thumbsup: Of course, if after a week it's still numb, I'd go see someone...

I've had that sometimes too, its just a normal thing with being in heels for a long time sometimes. The feeling will come back in a few days. Just train yourself into them over shorter periods of time. :thumbsup:

Like all things with our bodies it needs to be trained. Wearing heels over 4 inches takes time and practice. When I was dancing many gals got injured by trying to dance around in 5 inch heels. Your body can ajust for the position of your foot and the pressures exerted my specific shoes. Be careful as long term injuries can change you life wearing heels.

As far as the numbness goes, That was mainly because of a few things. 1, you weren't trained and used to wearing heels that high. 2, your feet have blood vessels that run directly under the ball of your foot, so if you are in heels for a long time and aren't used to it, then the circulation could get cut off temporarily causeing numbness and a tingling sensation afterwards for a few days. it is the same principle as your leg going to sleep, but it is from the ball of your foot to the toes. When you train yourself into heels, you actually cause your body to build a thicker wall around the blood vessels in your feet and those thicker walls keep you from losing circulation. 3, if you were wearing a strappy sandal or open toed shoe, you could have accidentally cut off circulation from them being a little too tight. 4, make sure that if you wear any other heels that you stay away from pointed toe and extreme heels for a while. Those pointed toe shoes cause people to jam their toe in thinking that the size they have is correct and that forces your toes to bend towards the center putting extra strain on the tendons and muscles in your toes. I can tell you some exercises that will help you to get the feeling back quicker. Stand up straight with a wall in front of you for support. Tighten your buttocks and raise yourself as high on to your toes as possible, hold it for about 30 seconds or a minute and go back down. Repeat this about ten times. With bare feet, sit on the ground, take the opposite ends of a rolled up towel in each hand, hook it around the ball of your foot and pull it back towards your stomach as far as you can without pain and hold it until the stretching feeling starts to go away. Repeat this about ten time, then move the towel to the arch of your foot and repeat the process about ten times. Place your heels together and move the toes of your feet apart as far as you can, like a ballerina doing a pirouette, then bend your knees as far as you can, then straighten your legs. Repeat this about ten times. These exercises will help you to develop the muscles in your feet and legs and also stretch the tendons that will allow you to wear higher heels without pain.

"Happiness comes from within, but if there is nothing within, you can never truly be happy." - Me