First Proper Walk Out

Duck

Up untill now I had only being wearing heels inside or maybe sneaking out late at night when I was sure no one would be around. Today I decided to test the water as it were and just go for it. I got the train to a pretty small village (still not confident enough to go out in the city and I knew I wouldn't meet anyone I knew). I put on my 3.5" quite chunky heeled boots with a rounded toe http://www.evans.co.uk/wcsstore/Evans//images/catalog/21R01BBLK_large.jpg I didn't want to go for anything higher just because I can't walk all that well in stilletos so it would be pointless.

I walked into the centre of village and bought some lunch and walked around a bit, it was pretty quiet as I expected but still quite a few people must have noticed from the sound at least. There were a few strange looks from the guys and the women seemed to smile and greet me. One woman saw me walking behind her and slowed down to let me go past her so she must have had perfect look at them.

Was a good trip in the end, no real negative comments, most people couldn't care. Maybe I'll get the confidence to try somewhere busier soon.

Congratulations Duck! Most of us who've been out in heels have realised that most people either don't notice, don't care, or don't want to say anything. I tend to find busier places are easier, as there are a whole load of other people to look at. Nice boots by the way, was almost tempted by a pair of those myself. Chris

Well done... Except that my tip would have been to have gone somewhere where it is very busy, fewer people would notice your heels... ...unless you wanted them to notice that is! 8)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I guess I was kinda worried about the sort of people I might find. Correct me if I'm wrong but I would think the worst kind of response would be from males around my age (20) or a bit younger and with it being during school time in a small place I knew they wouldn't be about. Maybe someone in the area could suggest a place, I'm thinking maybe, Ely, Bury St. Edmunds, Bishop's Stortford. I live in Cambridge which would probably be perfect if I didn't know so many people here and I would almost certainly bump into someone.

Well done Duck. The more out in our heels, the better. Your choice of heel style was good and dare I say, sensible. Sure, we would all love to do stiletto heels, but that is the way to have you feeling obvious, whereas with block heels, no one seems to notice. You walk a lot easier too as those dratted cracks in the pavement are not an issue. The noise aspect will be sorted when you reheal the boots from the hard plastic they come with to a longer lasting rubber heel. I concur with others, the busier the place, the better it is for your confidence. The more you wear, the happier you are and forget what you are wearing and so you don't look at people to see their reactions anymore and of course, you don't particularly care what they think either. This is a mind game. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Congrats to you, Duck! The very first time out is always the hardest, but it'll get easier from there. I concur with the others, wearing heels in crowded places like city centers or shopping malls is really no big deal as people around you are too wrapped in their own lives and affairs to pay any attention to a man wearing heels. I've worn spike heels in crowded malls and never got so much as a lick of attention, so it can be done. Welcome to a whole new world!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Yup, in my experience even in Singapore, noone seems to care, there was once i was wearing 4inch pointy D'orsays and had to climb a flight of stairs on the way home and there were some people behind me. It should be pretty obvious that I was wearing heels since the heel would show on the stairs but when i looked back, the people were still giving the dazed "I am in my own world" look. So go for it! The feeling is great

Congratulations on a good choice of boots for a first outing. The most important thing is to be confident with the style you wear. I concur that busier places is actually better. If you are the only person on the street or in the mall, people will look at you, heels or no heels. I prefer less people when I go shopping for shoes as I can get more attention in the shoe stores. But just for walking around, more people is better.

After everyone suggesting I try somewhere busier I decided to go out to Ipswich since its quite near and big. I was still pretty nervous but I put on the same boots while I on the train there and just act normal. I found my way into the centre of the town and there were loads of people everywhere but it didn't seem like anyone noticed or cared one bit which was nice. The only bad things were that I still didn't find the thing I was looking for in any shops around, really need a washing up brush! and it was absolutley chucking it down on the way back to the station, impossible not to get soaked at least I was wearing boots so my feet didn't get drowned. 8)

I agree with those who advise starting out with block heels that no one will notice for your first forays into public wearing heels. But after a while, I realized that the whole point and thrill of wearing heels in public is so that people will notice. Otherwise, you might as well just be content with wearing 6 inch heels around your house. Nothing can top the feeling when a pretty woman gives you a compliment on your high heeled shoes.