One small step at a time....

phil_hh

I guess this post is a bit of a 'thanks'. Today I went on my first little outing in public, in daylight, in 5" black patent heels. While this might seem a bit 'old hat' to some, it was a big deal (and a first) for me. I didn't specifically want to get noticed, but there was certainly opportunity. The workmen digging up the road could see (if they were in fact looking) as could anyone else. The thing is nobody seemed to notice. I've taken a lot of encouragement from reading this forum which has boosted my confidence, so thanks!!

I started for the first time my self, i deliver newspapers in the early mornings and i wear my heels then. There is a large apartement complex and all you hear is the click on my heels at 4am. It is really exciting, maybe i will graduate to the daytime soon.

Congrats to your first outing in public. We have all been there, some years ago and some last week. I did my first outing one dark evening in a blizzard in 5" pumps last winter. Over this year I have had some progress I think and a month ago I was in Paris for four days, not a minute was I in my mens shoes. I had to travel to Paris in them though because I met work partners :D but 5 minutes after they left I was in heels. :wink: More outings builds your confidence so keep on heeling. May I hope to meet you in London 10:th of March? An excellent opportunity to be out in heels.

Hi all.

Thanks for the support guys!

In answer to Heelme, I just went on a short trip down the street - nothing too adventurous, i'm afraid (at least not yet).

I went out in my 5" black patent courts (Pumps in the US??) - see http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o148/phil_hh/

I had my normal guy jeans. Everything I'd normally knock around in, just high heels.

Best way :wink:

Phil

Congrads!! It took me a while to walk in public with heels that are not a thick wedge and very long pants. Now I still wear long pants but I am not worried about the fact that the heel will show when I walk up steps or get out of the car. I still get a little nervous when I hear that "clack" that heels make and someone will look to see where they come from. I am getting more bold each day and hope you will too.. :wink::spin2:

Congratulations on your first outing! For me, the thrill never goes away. Everytime I go out still feels like the first time; though I am more confident and relaxed than I was when I first started. Also, the black patent was an excellent and classic choice for your first outing. Do you plan an encore soon? Please share when you do!

Style is built from the ground up!

Congrats to you, Phil. The very first time out in heels is always the hardest, the most nerve wracking, perhaps even the most terrifying. But once you get that initial outing under your belt, it becomes easier after that as you discover that it's not the frightening experience we initially think it is. And as you go on more and more outings, your confidence will build, enhancing the enjoyment of the experience. Hope you'll get to enjoy more of those experiences.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Hi again all! Encouraged by the kind support here, I decided to have a Sunday night rainy outing in my heels. I drove to the next town to visit the bank / post box. I parked the car a way down the road and walked back to post letters etc. While walking past all the shop windows, I managed to get a good look from a distance at me in heels. The shoes are great. The 'click-clack' is also fine. What would draw attention to me is that I'm not yet walking quite right in my 5" heels (I tend to walk with slightly bent knees, like one of the examples in that You-tube video). While I can pretty much correct this by clenching my butt cheeks and making sure I straighten each leg when taking a step, I am then only able to take quite small steps, which perhaps looks a bit strange (I'm 6' 1" barefoot). I think I'll get some more modest heels to for future (more adventurous) outings, so I can blend in for a bit while I get my confidence up a bit. Any other tips for correcting your walk? It is very different walking along the street to walking on carpet or up and down the drive. Phil

Try a 4" heel and a slightly shorter stride. After a little while it becomes natural and you should be able to streighten your knee as you walk. After you get used to walking in 4" heels you can lenghten the stride again and a 5" heel won't seem as high. If you can't streighten your knee, the heel is too high. Practice, practice, practice. Do take care with a long stride. I have had a heel kick out on me several times because the heel is hard plastic (inexpensive boots) and I was walking with my normal stride. Shortening my stride cured the problem. Enjoy your heels.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Try a 4" heel and a slightly shorter stride. After a little while it becomes natural and you should be able to streighten your knee as you walk. After you get used to walking in 4" heels you can lenghten the stride again and a 5" heel won't seem as high. If you can't streighten your knee, the heel is too high. Practice, practice, practice.

Do take care with a long stride. I have had a heel kick out on me several times because the heel is hard plastic (inexpensive boots) and I was walking with my normal stride. Shortening my stride cured the problem.

Enjoy your heels.

I agree with TBG's comments. A shorter stride while in heels is always best. One, because it's safer and presents against kick outs, and two, a longer stride results in walking faster, and why be in a hurry anyway.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

and two, a longer stride results in walking faster, and why be in a hurry anyway.

I have notice that when I wear heels I don't really step any quicker, so like you Jeff, I get to take my time and enjoy the heels. This got me in a little trouble the other day in a large electronics store where I was clandestine in my 5" oxfords and the salesman strided out to show me something and quickly left me in his dust. I tried to quicken my pace, but It wasn't as comfortable... Reminded me of the Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry movie where he was partnered with the actress that later stared in Cagney and Lacey, she rounded a corner and started down a San Francisco slope and here feet almost go into a cartoon like whirl! (picture the road runner).

Anyway, about the time the salesguy turns around to find me 20 feet back, I had settled back in normal high heeled stride.