Shopping for heels, in heels.

chris100575

I'd been looking at a pair of boots on the Debenhams website having decided to go for something with a round toe and semi chunky heel that would not be overtly feminine, but a bit more dressy than my Malicias for if I was going out somewhere they wouldn't really be appropriate. Stockport didn't have them, so I decided to go to the Trafford Centre this afternoon and see if I fared any better there.

For some reason I'm quite comfortable going out in heels, but feel a bit weird looking for them, so I decided to wear my Malicias in case it made me feel more confident. Hey, I'm wearing high heels, so why shouldn't I shop for them? This was my first time out during the day to a shopping mall, so I was initially a bit nervous, but as usual fine once I got going. In fact I rather enjoyed looking at the reflection of the steel heels in the shop windows as I passed. Debenhams didn't have the boots that I wanted, so seeing as how I'd driven all the way down there I thought I'd check out Schuh in case they had any New Rocks. I couldn't see any on display, so I asked a female assistant if they had any. She didn't know, so she went and asked one of the guys. He came back with the only one they had, which was also a ladies' boot but with a chunky heel. I said that I'd prefer another pair of pointy ones, and he said he was sorry they didn't have any but he recommended another shop. He seemed completely comfortable with the fact that I was a guy wearing pointy, high heeled boots and after buying more.

Notice how I've now gone from wanting something round and chunky, back to wanting yet more pointy ones. :wink:

0 for 2, not a successful trip so far. I decided it would be rude to bypass Faith, so being a big fan of their boots, off I went. Now I'd been eyeing up these:

Posted Image

for a while, but had heard that Faith knee boots were a narrow calf fitting. They had a pair, but they were a size 9 and the assistant checked for an 8 but didn't have one. She did say that I could return them if they didn't fit, but being as how they weren't the size I wanted and I wasn't sure if they'd zip up anyway I asked her if it'd be OK for me to try them on. She looked momentarily surprised, but was very friendly and professional. As it turned out the first boot fit like a glove (size 9 my bottom!) and as I began zipping it up I become more and more hopeful that it was going to go all the way up and... no problem! Fitted beautifully, snug but not tight. I told her that actually it felt fine, and she asked if I wanted to try the other as most people's feet aren't both the same. I got into the second boot, had a bit of a walk in them etc. sold! As I paid for them I thanked her for being so helpful, and got a smile.

I was really chuffed as I set off back to the car, although getting rather footsore. On my way out two teenage lads noticed my Malicias and had a good giggle as I passed. I turned round and smiled, and they continued laughing but didn't say anything and kept their distance. Bless! It'll give them something to tell their little friends over a bottle of blue WKD!

So I'm back at home with a brew, and despite the sore feet, couldn't resist wearing my new boots!

Chris

Guest ilovepumps!

Ive read quite a few stories about you guys wearing yours heels out and its really tempting to try it myself. However, I just dont think I can do it. Ive only ever bought one pair of boots and at the moment am tempted to buy another pair. Thing is, I cannot quite decide if I want stilettoes or chunky heels.

Whereabouts do you live Ilovepumps? Maybe you could try meeting up for a pint with one of the guys from here? It's easier if you have some moral support. At the end of the day though, I had the same fears about going out in heels as you do, and still get the odd twinge of nerves and bout of dry-mouth. It really does get easier every time you do it though. Today I was out in broad daylight, in a busy shopping centre with my heels on full display. It was initially more scary than in a gloomy pub, but nothing I didn't get over. I also tried on and bought a pair of very feminine boots in a busy shop, displaying my shaved legs in the process as I rolled my jeans up. I didn't pay that much attention to the other customers to be honest, but they all seemed to be just as engrossed in their own shopping as I was. If you're considering chunky or stiletto heels for public wear it's entirely up to you. I no less nervous when I went out in a pair of round-toed boots with chunky heels as I was my first couple of times out in my avatars, which are hardly subtle and virtually stilettos. Once you get out there and get over the initial fear it's such a great feeling to be walking around in public, wearing the heels you always wished you could. Chris

Whereabouts do you live Ilovepumps? Maybe you could try meeting up for a pint with one of the guys from here? It's easier if you have some moral support.

Chris

Yep,

I am sure one of us would not mind helping you out, turn down an oppertunity to go shoe shopping? we will be there for you, after that it a breeze.

Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

Hi Chris, lovely story of your shopping trip. I too was eyeing those boots up, Faith being my favourite shoe store and all, did you buy the black 'Mewrez' boots, or the brown boots, no way are they brown though, they decribe them as brown but look a lovely purple shade in daylight. As you have found out, some (most) of Faith's boots run on the small size (UK9 is a euro 43 in my book- not 42's that Faith pass off as 9's ), but occasionally they come up with a super generous fit in a particular style. Heelium

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.

. . . Thing is, I cannot quite decide if I want stilettoes or chunky heels.

From my own experience, block heels are quite a lot easer to "get away with" mentally, and wedges are even easier. It takes a lot of self-confidence to wear stilettos well (but I will admit I have not progressed that far yet). I do believe that wearing wedge or block heels will allow you to build your self-confidence while you get practice and still enjoy wearing heels.

Have a happy time!

Guest ilovepumps!

To be very honest, I dont think I will ever see the day where I will wander out in a busy street in heels. I am planning to go for a wander in the evening and have been working on a suitable outfit. I am waiting for the shoes to arrive. Once I have everything, I will post a pic.

To be very honest, I dont think I will ever see the day where I will wander out in a busy street in heels.

Oh you will! :D Busier the better. More people to distract the attention away from you. :wink:

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

To be very honest, I dont think I will ever see the day where I will wander out in a busy street in heels.

Never say never, my friend. Seven years ago, I never thought I'd show up at work in heels, but I did. You never know what the future may hold!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Hi Heelium I went for the black boots, and I absolutely love them! They're virtually as high as the Romance boot, and they zip up the back! I've been after a pair of back-zipped boots for ages, so was very pleased when I picked up the display boot. There is no way that they're a nine, even with nylons they're more of a snug fit than a couple of pairs I have which are marked as an eight. I honestly think they'd be about a 41.5, as my Duo stiletto boots are a 42 and these are tighter. Perfect fit for me, but anyone actually wanting a 9 would be disappointed. They smell fantastic though! I think Faith must use leather from scented cows or something. Ilovepumps: Heel-D is right, you're a lot less noticable as one of a crowd. Everyone has a whole bunch of other people to notice, and at most of them won't be able to see you full length anyway. Chris

I prefer to do my heeling in crowds, too. Nothing better than a crowded bar or club. Walking to and from the club is always the most awkward, though not much of a problem anymore... though I only wear tall 5"(often) or 6" heels(once) with slacks a bit longer than usual to cover. Guys rarely notice the heels, but the ladies notice - I'm almost 6'8" in the 5" heels. The other night though, I went almost 3 hours standing in heels - the feet were starting to complain - until someone commented.

I tried that once years ago. In looking back it was easier to ask for a women's boot as the (male) clerk knew what I already had on so did not seem at all surprised for what I asked for. Shoe sales people know shoes, I expect. Thus they may already be figuring out what you are interested before you even ask to better assist you. No need to quickly regroup when the man wearing the guy shoes asks for a women's style.

classic style high heel boots

To be very honest, I dont think I will ever see the day where I will wander out in a busy street in heels. I am planning to go for a wander in the evening and have been working on a suitable outfit. I am waiting for the shoes to arrive. Once I have everything, I will post a pic.

Sometimes the best way for guys to wear heels is as a guy, not outfit at all, just a pair of long jeans and block-heeled boots.

It's certainly the least-noticeable heeled outfit I've ever worn, and have often shopped for heels wearing this.

I prefer to do my heeling in crowds, too. Nothing better than a crowded bar or club.

I spent New Years in heels at a local club. If anyone saw (not that I noticed), certainly no one cared. Then again, my heels were non-descript four-inch block-heeled boots beneath a long pant's leg, not a pair of pink stilletos beneath a miniskirt.

But if that's what float's your boat, go for it, and I wish you luck on the additional 213 minutes it takes to complete the look!

I'm only interested in going out in heels as a guy, so it's boots under jeans for me. That's one of the reasons I like the spiky New Rocks so much, being into the whole goth / metal thing they're easy to fit in with what I'd be wearing anyway. I am seriously thinking of wearing a pair of my pointy stiletto boots next time I'm out with Jon though as he keeps upstaging my heels! :wink: Chris