Do You Buy the Outfit First or Shoes First?

FunInHeels

Maybe its been brought up before, but I’m going through our shoe closets and I realize I have several pair or pretty heels that I have only worn once because I couldn’t resist buying them and then found that I had not too much in my closet to match. I own several stiletto pumps (as well as sandals, mules, and platforms) that are in different colors, like light pink, hot pink, purple, yellow, silver, gold and leopard spot, etc.. thou, I did resisted the camouflage hiking pumps…but have the majority of black/ white/ red / brown in my closet for clothing! I have like 100 plus pair of basic black, and white and red and brown shoes. So it occurred to me that I always buy my shoes first and then find something to match even if it’s just lingerie. We are going to a party next weekend and went shopping for something new to wear, but made a bee line to the shoe stores any way. I have a pair of beautiful light beige 4" heels that Andy and I both love, but can't find a thing to match the color. So does anyone else go for the shoes first? Have fun, Shelly

I must admit that im male mode I tend to just wear black leather or my denim jeans with my heels but I in Tara mode I do sometimes see a dress and think: "I've got some shoes/boots/sandals that'll go great with that," and so I buy it. I rarely buy an outfit and then shoes to go with it because I have so many boots and shoes I don't need to but I do sometimes buy footwear with an existing outfit in mind if you know what I mean.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I'm your basic guy -- whatever shoe or boot I buy is black. (Or it will be after a few applications of the appropriate colorant.) That way it goes with jeans or dark pants. I get the footwear first -- mostly whatever looks interesting -- and then I make the rest of the outfit work with it. Boots tend to catch my eye first and I like a pair of nice, worn jeans better than anything. I really think boots and jeans were made for each other.

Have a happy time!

As I mainly wear heels with blue jeans or black slacks, I usually pick heels which will go well with either. Generally speaking, that's black leather, but I do have a couple pair that are either a dark steely or pewter color.

FunInHeels: I'm also inclined to purchase shoes first then put together outfits to go with them. Since I wear either jeans or dress pants with my shoes, I opt for footwear that goes well with both, usually that's black, but brown works well too. In the end, it's all up to you, what you like, what you have or what you want to buy. Don't narrow your chocies, buy what suits you and what you like. :wink:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Since I buy virtually everything in thrift stores, I've got rather many garments, so matching outfits is no problem. I don't buy things without thinking though- I've GOT to check if a particular thing goes well with the rest (well, it's not a problem as I wear black leather all the time :wink:), is in a good condition and fits me well. The size is sometimes less important (i.e. when I buy pants I'm only gonna wear tucked into boots), but usually matters very much. I love snug-fitting or tight garments and if something is too loose, I just ain't gonna purchase it. As far as shoes are concerned, if I see the right size, I must think what they will go well with. Then, the "price check" comes. I'm hardly ever disappointed. It happens that I change my style after several years though, but I try not to do any purges.

What is good for a goose, can be good for any gender!

I bought a beige suede skirt today because I have several pairs of beige suede boots. I would not have even considered the skirt otherwise. It's well comfy though, I'm wearing it now.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I sometimes buy the shoes first. I see a pair I really like and I go for them and then find a skirt/blouse to go with it. Some other times I buy the outfit first and then look for the shoes, which is currently the case with my latest outfit: I bought it, bought lingerie and now I'm just waiting for a real nice pair of baby pink pumps/sandals.

All of my heels are black, as is 99% of my clothing, so I never have a problem finding things that go together. That said, I bought a full length black leather coat about a month back. Mainly because I'd always wanted one, but partially because I wanted something that would look softer than the biker jackets I usually wear when going out and so look less out of place when I wear heels. Chris