Are we avant-garde or plain old geezers ?

Van

I have the feeling that we are a rather middle-age forum. Speaking for myself, I'm 49. We may be out of touch ... there are a lot of "trends" (sorry Firefox), and fashions that may pass us by just because we're out of touch. I don' see myself dressing up as a Goth or a japanese "visual rocker" (that i just discovered, while it has been around for several years... typical). I think if young people want to dress in a freestyle fashion, they do have much more options and it is socially more acceptable than for old geezers like me (us ?). Whaddayathink ? Vanessa

how many of us would like to be 'diamond geezers'? I'm 32 and not past it yet :smile:, but age does play a part in acceptance. Some people simply think that if we're wearing platforms then we must be stuck in the 70's or something, but most just don't care!

I think age is a little important. I'm not past it. I'd say I'm old enough to be confident about who I am, and still young enough to enjoy it. That said, as long as you're not actually dead, you're young enough to enjoy things.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Lets just say when you are at a mid life crises, don't try to look to young. From what I seen it does not work. :smile: I am having a little problem dealing with the fact that I am going to be 30 in September. :grin: _________________ Hello, my name is Hoverfly. I am a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!!! <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-06-18 01:16 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Be confident in yourself Vanessa. You seem to have all sorts of doubts about how others will see you. Be happy in your appearence, and if you really find it is a problem with regard to fitting in, then tone it down a little here and there. It's true, younger people have more choices, but that's life regardless of gender or otherwise.

To Vanessa, same age as myself: Since you seem to be more confident wearing makeup in public than myself, I have a serious suggestion: Take a (college-level) Stage Makeup class. I took one about a year and a half ago. It allowed me to experiment with what makeup can actually do for a person, male or female, with expert advice on what to use, how to apply it, how to make it look like you don't have any on, how to make your face look like it is thinner, more masculine, 10-20 years younger (or older, for that matter), etc. Most of the techniques are applicable for everyday wear as well. I won't go so far as to say that makeup can make you look as young as Laurie, but 35 IS reasonably doable, if you really apply yourself to learning the art and skill. Luck. :smile:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

I'm going to be a bit smug now, and observe that despite the fact that I'm only slightly over 30, I've been mistaken recently for 24 :smile:

And I often have my child around to keep me young. I can still remember being young enough to know it all :grin: , and feeling old enough to need putting to bed with a shovel :grin:

I've long since given up acting my age, and I'm now working on living my personality.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

You're are as young as you feel. That is a very true saying. I know a chap who is training to be an accountant. He's a friend of a friend actually. He's only 23 but I've never met such a boring person. All he talks about is his pension and his investments and his study. I literally can't get any other conversation out of him, and he's got the sense of humour of a brick! Another guy I know is 72, he's full of life and conversation, and he wears young clothes, so age has nothing to do with very much. Personality is much more important.

Terayon, congratulations for being around. When I was your age (sorry for sounding like an ancestor), I didn't have any idea that there were other guys sharing the same interest in shoes and clothing. It's only when David Bowie arrived in the early seventies that i realised that i wasn't alone. BUt for the second part of my question :grin:o you consider, from your own experience, that there is a certain acceptance for a young guy dressing "differently" or wearing heels ? Vanessa

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys If my last post seemed offensive, It's just that as I am just coming out, the fear of someone I know seeing me when i am

out in public, in heels scares me to no end!, as well as having to deal with stupid questions, lol.

Ah, well one of the things that comes with advancing years is a measure of confidence. Plus, of course, when you die of embarrassment, you've less to lose when you're as old as I feel right now :smile:

And I'd wondered about what would happen if someone saw me out in heels... until I found out that their reaction on seeing me in my fave 4" wedges was "It's your bloomin' round!"

Go for it!

• 5 months later...