Boots and Skirts in Public

Thighbootguy

I stopped at Sam’s tonight wearing a grey knit dress and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. I also added a rather busy three strand necklace. As I was walking in, following a young (junior high) black kid and his mother, the kid say my reflection in the door and turned around and stared. When he realized what he was seeing, he turned and stared again, then told his mom and they both turned around and stared. I was going to mention that at least my shoes were tied, but I didn’t have the chance. They wound up talking to someone they knew and I went on with my shopping. Wearing a dress seems to strain what people are willing to accept, especially the women. I think a guy in a dress is encroaching a little too far into “their territory”. I might be different if I were trying to pass, but I’m not trying that at all. Other than the kid and his mom, I got no feedback at all. I really like the outfit though I have second thoughts about the necklace. For the folks that didn’t get the joke, when an American mimics and Irish brogue, two forty comes out as to farty. :)

post-928-13352288949_thumb.jpg

post-928-133522889491_thumb.jpg

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I stopped at Sam’s tonight wearing a grey knit dress and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. I also added a rather busy three strand necklace.

WOW! A dress, huh? Talk about bold! You certainly took things to a whole new level. How did you feel? Nervous? Excited? It had to have been quite and experience!

As I was walking in, following a young (junior high) black kid and his mother, the kid say my reflection in the door and turned around and stared. When he realized what he was seeing, he turned and stared again, then told his mom and they both turned around and stared. I was going to mention that at least my shoes were tied, but I didn’t have the chance. They wound up talking to someone they knew and I went on with my shopping.

Don't let that rattle you. For reasons I suspect begin and end with a woeful lack of proper manners while in public, young black people often have no problem making a scene, especially when in packs, voicing opinions and usually being verbose or occasionally vulgar about it to boot. I've gotten more odd stares, giggles and off-color comments from blacks than from whites.

Wearing a dress seems to strain what people are willing to accept, especially the women. I think a guy in a dress is encroaching a little too far into “their territory”. I might be different if I were trying to pass, but I’m not trying that at all.

The only reason dresses are the so-called "territory" of women is because our narrow-minded society says so. But no one says that pants are the sole territory of men and no one says anything when women wear pants and jeans. People will accept what they want to accept, minds set in concrete will never change, so don't worry about those mindsets. And for women who openly prefer to dress like men, they have zero right to bitch or get their panties (or boxers) in a bunch when we wear "their" clothing. To do so would be the height of hypocrisy.

For the folks that didn’t get the joke, when an American mimics and Irish brogue, two forty comes out as too farty.

Oh, I got the joke. In fact, I've used it a time or two myself. HA!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

How did you feel? Nervous? Excited? It had to have been quite and experience!

Sorry to disappoint but I wasn’t nervous or excited, a little apprehensive and a bit surprised by the vibes I was getting back but I don’t get nervous or excited any more. Going out has turned into more of my way of doing something unique. If anything, it is exhausting and of course it is fun. When I get home after an outing, I’m really tired, much more than I would have been if I were wearing guy clothes. I’m still wondering what is driving me to do this, but I’m not obsessing over it and I am having fun.

Neither the kid nor his mom bothered me. Other then physical action, not much does bother me anymore. I have developed a fairly thick skin and most stuff bounces off and I return a smile and a shake of my head. We both keep preaching about having confidence; not reacting to jibes is one way of showing it.

This was the second time I’ve worn this outfit in public (I didn’t have the necklace the first time). The first time I didn’t think there was any negative reaction but this time I think the vibes I was getting back from women were different than I had gotten before. It might have been the mix of the crowd (or the necklace) but it felt different. Other than the kid and his mom, I didn’t get any other overt reactions so my feeling is kind of nuanced and it may be all wrong but I did feel like I was being received differently than with just a skit and boots, or jeans and boots.

Two events does not make a good statistical sample, so I’ll have to try this again. :)

:)

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

We had a major thunder splat roll through this morning caused by a cool front so I went out this afternoon wearing a red (as in Coca Cola red) heavy T-shirt, a short (17”) black leather skirt with a red belt, and my black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The hem of the skirt hits the top of my boots. I was carrying my black leather jacket with me. The first stop was WallMart where I had to pick up a few things. I walked in from the parking lot and into the store like I owned the place. After I found my stuff and was in the checkout line a couple of white high school aged guys walked past and one turned and gave me a real good stare, and then just kept on going. No one else gave any reaction at all. I walked back to the car and headed for a nearby Payless. Again, I walked into Payless as though I did this all the time (which I do) and the clerk welcomed me to Payless. I browsed for a minute and headed back to the car. The next stop was a movie theater (I wanted to see A night at the Smithsonian). The crowd from the previous show was just letting out as I was walking across the parking lot. I got a couple of glances. I bought my ticket and was one of the first in the auditorium so I got a center seat close enough that the screen filled my field of vision without having to turn my head. As the auditorium filled, I don’t think anyone say what I was wearing. After the show, I walked out with the rest of the crowd. Good movie but the outing was a non event. While I was in the area I went to the nearby Sam’s because they carried an item I wanted that my regular store doesn’t carry. I put on the black leather jacket because it had cooled off a bit more, and it looked great with the red shirt and black skirt and boots. I had to park at the far end of the parking lot and the item I wanted was in the back of the store so there was a good bit of walking on this stop. Again, the outing was a non event. If you haven’t tried a leather skirt, be advised it is a warm garment, even a short one. I’m not complaining, but it might be nice to enjoy wearing more comfortable clothing as much as I do leather skirts and boots with 5” heels. :) This was a really fun afternoon in a skirt and boots. :)

I went riding on the Loveland bike trail this morning and road 30 miles (a typo last week 37 should have been 27). I was wearing a red T-shirt, a beige 14” skort, grey hose and black leather OTK boots with a ½” heel which immediately scrunched down to ankle boots. Folks on the bike trail really done seem to care what you wear. After I had turned around and was heading back, I had a blowout with 10 miles to go to get back to the car. I had the tires inflated to 85 psi. which greatly reduces rolling resistance, but makes for a rough ride, and when it blows out, sounds like a gun shot. Fortunately I had a spare tube with me and my tire pump now works again, so I proceeded to change the tube and finished the ride. This might have been a good thing because I wasn’t able to inflate the tire past 50 psi. and it made for a much more comfortable ride and my seat was starting to get sore. This afternoon I went to the movies again and saw Angels and Demons. At the theater I wore the red T-Shirt, grey hose, a 17” black lambskin skirt, a black knit sleeveless sweater and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. This time when I got to the lobby, it was empty so I got my ticket and headed to the auditorium, again almost empty. I got my favorite seat and thoroughly enjoyed he show. I walked out to an empty lobby. So much for getting all dressed up to please the crowds. This was a different skirt than I wore yesterday. It doesn’t have a belt and it is a bit tight and the lamb skin just feels wonderful. This has just about satisfied my boots and leather skirt yearnings for a little while. :):)

I spoke too soon and underestimated the delight of wearing this 17” lamb skin skirt. I stopped in Sam’s after work wearing the skirt, a long sleeved white dress shirt, and black knee boots with 2.5” block heels. I stopped just for an excuse to wear the skirt. :)

I spoke too soon and underestimated the delight of wearing this 17” lamb skin skirt. I stopped in Sam’s after work wearing the skirt, a long sleeved white dress shirt, and black knee boots with 2.5” block heels. I stopped just for an excuse to wear the skirt. :)

Here in summer with 100F temps skirts & boots are the way to go with a sun screen with a high SPF:smile:

GTMHP

I stopped at my usual shopping places tonight, Walgreen’s, Sam’s and Kroger’s wearing a black shiny top with a black rope belt, a black suede leather 17” skirt, white hose and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. In Sam’s I did get a “those are nice shoes… there really cute” complement but other than that all three stops were non events. The exception being the lady in Kroger’s that almost threw her neck out as she twisted it around to look. I’ve worn this outfit before and felt very comfortable with the look, and I felt comfortable tonight but something was different. I kind of had that “fish out of the water” feeling. I haven’t put my finger on the issue but I just didn’t enjoy the outing as much as I have enjoyed others. Maybe the novelty of thigh boots and skirts is starting to wear off and it’s time to slow down a bit, although I am not looking forward to the idea of wearing guy slacks and shoes all the time. I’ve noted before that the urge to be Thighbootguy comes and goes and some days my beard grows faster than other days. :)

...I’ve noted before that the urge to be Thighbootguy comes and goes...

Greatings Thighbootguy :-)

I understand what you mean.

This "urge" going up and down is normal and I am sure it happens to many of us, me included.

I don't always feel to wear high heels everyday.

And when I wear heels again after a few days, it is even better ... :)

For the beard, I noticed mine grows faster when it is hot and humid. Is-it the same with you ?

danielp6406 -

I think the rate of beard growth is related to the level of testosterone flowing in your veins.

I am curious about what switch(s) turns my desire to be Thighbootguy on and off. I don’t know if it all mental attitude, or if there is a physical (chemical, see above) component, but it does come and go.

Ah, but if things never changed, life would be boring… even in thigh boots and a skirt.

danielp6406 -

I think the rate of beard growth is related to the level of testosterone flowing in your veins.

I am curious about what switch(s) turns my desire to be Thighbootguy on and off. I don’t know if it all mental attitude, or if there is a physical (chemical, see above) component, but it does come and go.

Ah, but if things never changed, life would be boring… even in thigh boots and a skirt.

Phases of the moon? Sun spots?? :):smile:

GTMHP

...I am curious about what switch(s) turns my desire to be Thighbootguy on and off. I don’t know if it all mental attitude, or if there is a physical (chemical, see above) component, but it does come and go...

This is a very good question: Why the desire is on and off ?

I guess it must be a chemical reaction or a "signal" coming from the brain.

Now wondering if my desire to wear heels is related to my testosterone level.

To verify this theory, I will check when my beard grows faster if I wear less heels.

( I would not be surprised if the answer is yes... )

Phases of the moon? Sun spots?? :):smile:

I wish this could be true ! If so, my beard would grow much slower...

Sorry if this is off topic. Maybe I should have asked my question in a separate thread...

Saturday was a wipe out day and I slept through most of it, I suspect it was stress from work. Sunday, I got on my bike and road to Devou park. Previously I had put the bike on the car and drove up to the park but today I felt good enough to take the hill. I went ridding wearing a long sleeved gray knit shirt, black Capri length leggings, and black suede ankle boots with 2” block heels. Thanks to HappyFeat for reminding me about the Capri leggings, I had forgotten all about them.

In the video Thighbootguy Black Leather Jacket at the 1:45 min mark, you can get an idea of how much of a climb it is into Devou park. I live near river level and the picture was taken from the top of the hill in Devou park. The climb is less than a mile.

This afternoon I went to the movies wearing the long sleeved grey shirt, a black sleeveless sweater, a tan 17” suede leather skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. Again, the lobby was empty when I walked in. One of the workers (young girl) threw me a smile, which I returned. After the show the lobby was quite full and I did create a bit of a stir. There were several comments, that I assume I inspired, that weren’t all that complementary but that comes with the territory (this was not a classy movie theater).

All in all a nice Sunday.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this video on how to wear summer clothes in the fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coEVZOxoSBs

She presents a couple of nice looks and recommends wearing boots (including thigh boots). She also addresses her audience as "Guys".

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at Sam’s and Walgreen’s last night on the way home from work wearing a blue long sleeved dress shirt with white stripes, forest green hose, 14” denim skirt and blue knee high leather boots with 2½“ block heels. These are the boots I wear at work under my jeans on Fridays. Both stops were uneventful. The register clerk at Sam’s knows me well and I asked her if the outfit worked and she said it went together very well. I’m still much more comfortable (mentally) wearing my thigh boots and jeans rather than a skirt, but I do enjoy wearing a skirt. I’m counting on the notion that some day that will make sence. :)

I found a nice heavy black leather 18” skirt at the GoodWill this afternoon. The skirt has a back zipper and a 3” slit in the front over the left leg and the waist is about an inch higher then normal and has a slight taper at the top. The skirt is a size 12 and is either a little big or the biking is starting to pay off. In other words, really a nice looking leather skirt that fits very well. I decided to stop at Sam’s on the way home so I went in wearing a long sleeved white shirt, the black leather skirt, black hose and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. This outfit is black and white but looks good. As soon as I walked in, four store associates, including a manager, greeted me like a long lost friend. I think the outfit had something to do with the greetings in that they weren’t ashamed to publicly greet someone on a coordinated leather skirt outfit, even if it was a guy. Shopping was a non event. No one raised an eyebrow. At the checkout, all the lines were long and since I only had a few items, the lady at the jewelry counted called me over to ring me out. I’ve always thought she had treated me coolly, but this afternoon she was warm and helpful. I’ll have to make a point to speak to her the next time I’m in the store. ie. Break down the barriers one person at a time. We should all learn from JeffB and HappyFeat… If a guy is going to wear a skirt, he has to make the outfit look good. :)

I stopped at Wallmart and PetsMart on the way home this evening wearing the same black leather skirt and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos as last night but with a blue collarless short sleeved knit shirt. The outfit just didn’t have the impact that it had with black hose and a long sleeved white shirt. In PetsMart, they know me so well they didn’t bat an eye. In Wallmart I had to ask for the item I wanted and it took several people to locate it for me but everyone was concerned about finding the item and not the guy in a skirt and boots. The lesson from tonight is that a leather skirt is either a classy garment or a trashy garment and the distinction is derived from the rest of the outfit. A denim skirt and be a casual item but a leather skirt doesn’t work as casual. Since I really don’t want to present a trashy look ( and I don’t consider thigh boots as contributing to a trashy look), it means I have to pay more attention to what I pair with a leather skirt. :)

On the way home I stopped in Kroger’s, PersMart, and Sam’s wearing a long sleeved white with blue stripes dress shirt, 18” black leather skirt, black hose and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The day was a bit warm but very humid so most other folks were wearing shorts. This is the same outfit I wore several days ago and felt very natural, as it did today, and seemed to be accepted. Today was a little different. There was an O.M.G. in Kroger’s and the clerks just seemed cooler than they normally do. PetsMart was the same clerks and had no reaction at all except a friendly word and a smile. Sam’s was the same, several clerks greeted me when I walked in and the register clerk commented that she hadn’t seen me for a while and that the new skirt worked really well. I finished by stopping in the nearby Goodwill where the clerks greeted me warmly but the patrons gawked. It was either the humidity, which makes everybody miserable, or the sequence of the store visits, which sets my tone for the outing, Kroger’s being first, with the cool reception from the clerks and patrons, may have put me off a bit, whatever it was, the outing just wasn’t as fun as they normally are. It may also have been that it wasn’t my day wear a skirt and I should have stopped at just wearing my boots. Ah… all is well that ends well…the cats appreciated their food. :)

It's not the boots or the way you dress, TBG, that has everyone wondering. It's the volume of cat food that you purchase. The UNK UNK is do you have a couple of cats with huge appetites or one giant Lion size cat that eats a lot.......:):lmao::)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a fine couple of outing yesterday all wearing a short denim skirt and tall boots.

First, I went bicycling on the Loveland bike path. I was a brisk morning, in the mid 30s F which is too cold for most of the other bikers so I had the trail almost completely to myself. I went riding wearing a black unitard, a long sleeved black top, a black Danceskin pullover, a short denim skirt, black leather gloves, and black leather over the knee boots with a flat heel. As soon as I started to ride I realized I wasn’t going to be able to keep my normal pace because, with the wind-chill, my face nearly froze. After a little riding though, I warmed up and the temperature raised a couple of degrees which made the ride nice.

After about and hours ride, when I got off the bike and tried to walk, I found myself falling over backwards. I hadn’t been using those muscles and they were too cold it immediately spring into action. I changed to my thigh boots with 5” stilettos and this helped a bit, I also changed the black pullover for a denim jacket which looked great with the skirt and that combined with the black leggings of the unitard and the thigh boots with heels look really good.

I stopped at a St. Vincent DePaul thrift store and looked around a bit. The place had lots of customers in the store and I got a few glances, but no one said a word.

I headed back home and took the bike off the car then headed for Sam’s to get a few things. Since I really was enjoying this outfit, I took my time and wandered around the store. One of the clerks who always speaks to me was running a forklift and called out a greeting and waved when he saw me. I returned the greeting and the wave, much to the surprise of the other shoppers who I suspect thought a guy in a skirt and thigh boots should be seen and not head (and probably not seen either). At the register, the clerk and a manager greeted me like a long lost friend and we chatted a bit about bread making (I had purchased a 25 lb. bag of bread flour).

All in all it was a fine couple of outings.

:chuckle:

Bubba136 –

I have been buying cat food for about a dozen cats but in the past year I have lost four of them, mostly to old age which has left a real hole in my household. I have had all of these cats for over 10 years.

As always, I enjoy reading your exploits, not to mention the fashion tips I get from you. Heh! Now that the weather has cooled, I look forward to putting my thigh boots through their paces along with a short skirt or two. A question: I've debated moving up to five inch heeled thigh boots, but I do a goodly amount of walking during my jaunts, so how easy is it, or how easy can it be to spend long periods of time standing, walking and working car pedals in five in heels? Any advice you can provide as you wear five inchers a lot would be helpful. Thanks!

JeffB – I have two styles of boots with 5” stiletto heels: Ellie style 8899 Tony style U The boots I wear most of the time are the Ellie 8899s and I find them very comfortable. The Tony U boots look great but are not comfortable. I wear a mens 12 and the 8899s are size 14. I do use a Dr.Schole’s cushioned insole and that makes them a delight to walk in. I have gone through more heel tips than I can remember and I did have them resoled with a Vibran sole which gives more adhesion (not as slick) and it surprised me how much more comfortable walking in these boots were after that. The cobbler put the new sole on over the old one but I had him extend the width of the new sole (1/8” – 1/4”)to support the side of the boot where the ball of my foot had stretched the leather. The three problems I have had with these boots came from all the wear I give them. I had to have toe plates installed because I kept wearing the leather on the bottom of the point of the toe. I have had to repair or replace both zippers and had to remove most of the foam lining because it disintegrated and collected at the bottom of the shaft. This may sound like a lot of trouble but remember I wear them as just another pair of shoes and they weren’t that expensive to start with. As for long distance walking, I have not found that to be a problem. When I go to Sam’s, and take my time, I’m on my feet for about an hour straight. At the museum, I have a walk of several blocks to get to the museum but I do sit when I sketch. Trips to Findlay Market I’m walking around for about an hour. Believe it or not, the TBG videos take well over an hour to shoot and I’m on my feet all the time. Do my feet and legs know I’ve been on 5” heels… yeah, but it’s not painful. The more often I wear them the less of a problem it becomes. I drive in these heels all the time. Granted, its an automatic and I use cruise control but even in traffic the heels have never been a problem ounce you get used to them being there. Enjoy your new heels. It’s another way to get up in the world. :chuckle:

TBG: Many thanks for the helpful information. Perhaps I'll give a pair of five inchers a try, just to find out what it's like. If I do go through with a new pair, I'll certainly let you and everyone else know.

I stopped at the GoodWill at lunchtime and they were having a 99 cent sale on skirts and dresses. I was wearing slacks and a long sleeved dress shirt and knee high boots with 3 ¼” block heels under my slacks but clearly visable. I selected 4 skirts and went to the dressing room to try them on. There is very little standardization of women sizes because I had skirts from size 10 to 14 and they all fit (some a little tighter than others but…). I wound up with a long straight line denim with a long slit in the center of the front, a knee length denim, a knee length brown suede, and a knee length denim skort. I then found a long denim jumper (sleeveless dress) with a full skirt that really fit nicely. I walked out with 4 skirts and a dress for $5. On the way home, I changed my slacks for the long straight line denim skirt and my black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos and added a black leather jacket. I stopped in Kroger’s for some milk. No one said a word or even seemed to notice. This was a fun shopping trip and nice thigh boot outing. :chuckle:

I went to the Post Office this morning wearing a gray T-Shirt, black leather knee length skirt, black leather jacket and black leather thigh length boots with 5” stilettos. I had to park about a block away from the Post Office so I had a nice walk. A couple of folks gave a second glance but that was it. In the Post Office the lobby had lots of folks, some of whom noticed. There were a couple of kids that did find something amusing and I guess it was me. I ignored them. Nice way to start the weekend.

I went biking on the Loveland bike trail early Sunday morning. The day started a bit brisk at 35F which for me is fine riding weather. I went peddling wearing several layers that topped with a black long sleeved top, black leather opera gloves worn under the top’s sleeves, black leggings, a knee length denim skort, and black leather OTK flat heel boots. The long gloves were more for warmth than a style statement. Last week I wore short leather gloves and was wishing I had my long ones on. The ride was beautiful with all the fall colors but there were very few other riders. In fact, I didn’t see anyone on the outbound leg of the ride but did see a few on the way back since it had warmed up into the mid 40sF. The ride was uneventful as far as boot and skort wearing. On the way home I stopped in a Goodwill I had never been into before. I had never liked the look of the crowd hanging around the outside of the store but this week there wasn’t anyone there so I stopped in. The place is a large store and there were lots of folks there, mostly folks that looked like that didn’t have to shop at a Goodwill but were just looking for bargains. I didn’t notice anyone paying any attention to me as I wandered around the store. After the ride and the short shopping trip I headed home and, inspired by JeffB, watched football and baseball. :chuckle::w00t2:

• 2 weeks later...

Some other’s posts about wearing leather skirts got me going again. I stopped at PetsMart and Sam’s after work wearing a long sleeved dark blue dress shirt, a black leather jacket, a short black leather skirt, black hose, and black leather thigh boots with 5” stilettos. The combination works very well together. I would look really good on a younger person but I can’t do much about that. In PetsMart the staff got my order together and I complemented the clerk on her new glasses. As I was heading to my car a lady followed me out of the store and as she passed me she said, “I love your boots.” I thanked her and headed for Sam’s. At Sam’s I pumped a tank of gas then headed into the store. I was really enjoying myself so I took my time and wandered about. No one seemed to pay any attention and the trip was completely uneventful. At the last minute I decided to head for a Goodwill that was in the area. Again no one seemed to pay much attention. I did see a guy, about my age, in the store that liked leather. He was wearing a short black leather bikers jacket (high wasted ladies version), tight jeans, black leather front lacing knee high boots with a 3” big chunky heel. I didn’t have an opportunity to speak to him. This was a short but fun outing. I got home in time to watch the end of the World Series. :chuckle:

At the last minute I decided to head for a Goodwill that was in the area. Again no one seemed to pay much attention. I did see a guy, about my age, in the store that liked leather. He was wearing a short black leather bikers jacket (high wasted ladies version), tight jeans, black leather front lacing knee high boots with a 3” big chunky heel. I didn’t have an opportunity to speak to him.

So, you're not alone in your neck of the woods after all, eh? I'm sure that sighting must have made for an enlightening experience!