Jogging in high heel shoes

polkadot

Polkadot:-) Now there's a question I don't have an answer for. I have done just about everything in heels through the years but jogging. I'm sure that there will be other guys here that have tried this and I will be just as interested in their answers as you. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

that is one interesting question. being that i don't see men wearing heels, i can't really say... but i've seen enougu women running long enough distance to catch a bus or other reasons to believe that statement isn't true. i mean, running!!!!!!!!! the kind that makes Sarah Jessica Parker's run on Sex in the City look weak and tame! So, yeah, women can do it, not because they're weaker, but because they want to. RPM p.s. hope that helps some

Polkadot, It's interesting that you've posed this question as I've got a personal interest in exercising whilst wearing heels. Personally, I can jog and even run whilst wearing my 7.5" platform sandals, but i've built up to doing so carefully. Taking this approach, and developing the necessary muscle groups/motor skills I believe most women could achieve what I have. Physiologically there is no reason why women can't run in heels as well, if not better, than men! To explain: Firstly, women's ligaments are not relatively weaker than men's. Though there will always be exceptions, women generally weigh less than men of an equivalent height, so their ligaments are subject to less absolute stress. Add this to the fact that a shorter person usually has a lower centre of gravity and they will find it easier to balance. So, in the case of many women (in relation to men): less overall weight, with a c of g nearer to the ground = less overall effort to maintain balance and increased ease and stability of movement. In several important respects, women are better physiologically suited to the dynamic loadings placed on the body's joints when jogging/running in high heels. Aside from all this, there are many examples of women running in heels with apparent ease - one that springs to mind appears in the film Barb Wire where Pamela Anderson is shown running in the street whilst wearing 6 inch spike-heel platforms. SP.

I was at a club one time when it was thunderstorming outside. My friend and I had to book it to the parking garage that was a good 2 blocks away. So there is be running down the main street in downtown Windsor in my boots (avatar). I did it like a champ! lol I even impressed myself...

i can run in heels. i think its a little like walkin in the respect that some people depending on size/flexibility are more suited to the situation than others. we are all different. I as a man am fairly slender and underweight, and therefore would be fair to say i would be physically more stable/less stress on the bodyworks than a heavier woman in heels would be. etc daz

There are male high heel races in Washington, DC, and New

York City. There are female high heel races in Israel:

http://web.israelinsider.com/Articles/Briefs/4485.htm

Baseball and softball will cease to be Olympic sports

after 2012. What will replace them? Maybe ultra high

heel race? It certainly would attract more TV viewers

than many existing Olympic sports. In the short run,

shoe shops could sponsor small, local races. High heel

race cannot be a real sport unless it has clear rules,

including clearly defined heel height. For example:

http://www.medianet.pl/~andrew/shoes/comfy_heels.htm#shoe_angle

I never watch the Olympics at all, but I'll guarantee you one thing...If there was a high heel race during the Olympics, I'll be sitting there with my nose against the screen. I would even suspend my posting to watch that. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Most of the time, the difficulty with women running in high heels is the problems they have running while wearing skirts or dresses.... some of the hems are kinda narrow and restrict their leg movement from the knees up. (by the way, my wife says that I can run a marathon while wearing 5" heels because I wear them so well)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

In Penn Station last night I had to run to catch the train. Fortunately, I was wearing my Franco Sarto Nolans with a chunky heel, so it wasn't that difficult.

Posted Image

For me, running was definitely different than walking. Running was Ball of Foot, Heel...walking is still Heel, Ball of Foot (compared to flats, more pressure is applied to the Ball of the Foot).

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

I wouldn't imagin that kneehighs would have any problem running in his chunky heel style shoes. I can do it in stilettos and I know it is easier in lower chunky style heels.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

No proof, but I have entered a slight dash in heels on more than one occasion. As a former three-sport athlete and swimmer (not that I'm separating the two, just noting that I still do swim), it doesn't bother me much.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

Having been a track athelete in in high school and college, and a high school track coach for a few years after that, I know a little about running. A good runner lands and takes off on the ball of his foot. The heel never touches the ground. If the heel touches, the runner is getting real tired. Having my womens shoe thing in high school, I noticed my track shoes very much resembled a pair of women's high heels with the heels removed. (I even fantasized about putting track spikes on a pair of girls flats that were popular in the 60's. Of course they would come off right out of the starting blocks, but they would look cool.) The track shoes are made that way because it makes it easier for the runner to land on the ball of the foot. I have run in 3" spiked high heel shoes, not very far, but I have done it. It is not much different than track spikes. I still have trouble with down stairways. I have to hold onto the hand rail and take one stair at a time. I was very impressed with a recent movie where the gal wearing HH pumps ran down the stairway chasing after someone. It looked like she had her feet at an angle to the stairs, not straight down. It was pretty impressive to see. You won't see track athletes running down stairs with their spikes on. For those of you who did not experience the dark ages of track, tracks used to be made of coal cinders rolled flat, and the lanes marked with lime. Track shoes had 1/2" long replacable sharpened spikes that were threaded into sockets in the bottom of the shoe. With the new sythetic tracks, short spikes or rubber nubbins are what is used today. So if you have to catch a bus in high heels, run on the balls of your feet, keep your feet pointed in the direction of travel, keep your head tilted slightly forward, breath deeply, and move your arms forward in the direction of travel. You will look like a track star in heels.

I have run frequently in high heels (over 5” sometimes) – not by choice I must say. Sometimes it’s the bus, train etc. although I guess the most frequent for me was some years ago when I had to walk between two factories, so often I would set off and then I would hear the thunder… - a quick sprint was called for. Once I was returning from the fabrication shop and a downpour started – I was going out straight after work, so had 5”+ court shoes on, a thin blouse (Which would have gone see-through if it got wet), and fortunately a fairly flared skirt – so I set off running – over the car-park, right along the road and across into the main reception building – then had to wait for the lads to catch-up. Necessity being the big driver here! Most embarrassing of all – when I got back into the project office – I got a round of applause – it appears when the heard the thunder they all looked out of the window to see us mid car-park – and me sprint away from the others. The tightness of the skirt has the most impact – had I been wearing a tight pencil skirt (the fashion only months before) then I would have got soaked! BB