interesting experience in Amsterdam

kneehighs

Well this story isn't about how beautiful women approve of my shoes, but when when I was walking down the street in my black pumps up near the Amstel River in an area of town called Rembrantplein, there were two guys walking arm in arm down the road approaching me....one of them stopped dead in his tracks and turned to look right at my shoes. "what's up?" I asked. "I'm just watching you walk in those shoes." he said and then proceeded to say to his partner, "he's good, he's really good." Then the same guy looked at me and said, "Show me what you have!" LOL There's nothing like riding a bike in stiletto pumps either. But so far, no comments have been made except the one above. A couple of people did double takes, but beyond that, nothing really. Even if I am from NYC, I think that Europe is a bit more liberal than the U.S. when it comes to fashion freedom. Till next time. KH

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Holland is the most liberal nation in Europe. I find the US is liberal in places like NYC, LA and SF, but then in other places very conservative.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Mmmmmm....... I have worn my stilleto boots in Amsterdam, and got a LOT of looks, actually so many, that i ran back to my car. I also tried a while back some leather pants with some 3 inch block heels. That went much better, but still had a lot of looks. If Amsterdam is liberal, i wonder how it is to wear heels in other parts of the world.....

My username changes every now and then on here. God knows why.

ChantelTV, Enjoy the looks. If people are liberal does that mean they are not allowed to look? I don't think that just because it's a liberal city, that the people of that city have seen it all. When they see something extraordinary they are practically drawn to look. I would not hold it against them. :wink: kneehighs, Interesting encounter.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Mmmmmm.......

I have worn my stilleto boots in Amsterdam, and got a LOT of looks, actually so many, that i ran back to my car.

I also tried a while back some leather pants with some 3 inch block heels. That went much better, but still had a lot of looks.

If Amsterdam is liberal, i wonder how it is to wear heels in other parts of the world.....

Your problem was you doubted yourself, not that Amsterdam is liberal. If you knew you could handle whatever looks you may get, what would ever hold you back from achieving the street heeling life you desire? I'd also wager that you don't notice ALL the looks you get either. And believe it that people do notice even when you don't realize it. I'm sure you don't let those looks you don't notice get in the way of your street heeling, so whats the difference between those you notice and those you don't?

My pumps are stiletto and I've even been on a bike in them in sunlight. I've passed thousands of people (just as I do in nyc), but the percentage of people that notice and do double takes compared to the overall number of people that I pass is so neglible, it doesn't even warrant further thought. I'll admit, the first day I was nervous. I was on strange territory, on alot of uneven cobblestone streets, and just really wasn't sure.

As for the leather pants, personally I wouldn't even bat an eye at them, but perhaps thats just because I've been nyc conditioned. I've seen a handful of guys wearing leather pants here.

As for now, I am in my puma sneakers :wink: and off to do some more sightseeing. The pumps are for when i am not sightseeing.

Hmmmm, Amsterdam is a funny place. I have had to work there and been on holiday there. Both trips were different. I think that wearing heels not an issue in amsterdam, but be aware that there are going to be folk that are there for business, there are dozens of international companys like the one I work for sending guys there for training and meetings. some of these 'tourists' will stare, however, those that have been there more than once will not even take a second look. it is just what happens there. looking forward to my next visit, just wish I could get it sorted out. Nigel

The angels have the phonebox.

I agree with you kneehighs, i'm not fully confident in heels yet.

Chantal, I agree to kneehighs. I'm wearing since years stiletto boots frankly on the street in Frankfurt. Not secretely or ashamed but convinced that it's my good right. Frankfurt is similar like Amsterdam: sometimes you are earning double glimpses or an elder lady is turning around shaking her head. Sometimes you are getting very friendly looks of girls. Sometimes homophobe comments of male young immigrants. And the apparent ignorance of the guys. They behave typically as you were wearing the most normal shoes of the world. Not bad :wink: But I'm reasoning always what they are thinking really about me ...

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Amsterdam is a funny place. I have had to work there and been on holiday there. Both trips were different.

I think that wearing heels not an issue in amsterdam, but be aware that there are going to be folk that are there for business, there are dozens of international companys like the one I work for sending guys there for training and meetings. some of these 'tourists' will stare, however, those that have been there more than once will not even take a second look. it is just what happens there.

looking forward to my next visit, just wish I could get it sorted out.

Nigel

Very good point. I think the bona fide locals don't have a problem with it at all. I met a girl last night who has lived in Amsterdam her whole life. I didn't even mention that I was wearing my black pumps..but after a while she realized they were high heels and was cool with it too. She thought it was ""kind of cute." Other locals have smiled.

It's like the bona fide locals in NYC. If they notice at all, it's usually not a big deal and perhaps even endorsed.

Hi Kneehighs... I'm glad you're enjoying your summer vacation and have found the opportunity to wear your heels out and about. Thanks for sharing your observations and interactions with the locals.. From what you have said, the people and their reactions to guys in heels don't seem all that different from what you have encountered back home in NY. That is, some accept what they see and some don't...but in the end it's all good. :wink::lol: jim

Europe is indeed more tolerant than the US when it comes to certain things. Take, for example, the wearing of skirts by men. In Germany, it's referred to as "männerock," and one of the most prominant companies, MenInTime sells skirts to men around the world. My only beef is that they're ridiculously expensive! Therefore, I prefer wearing non-feminine skirts from other sources, such as LL Bean, Target, eBay, etc.

However, more tolerant doesn't necessarily mean less conspicuously interested. The people are curious, and no one has a problem walking up to you at a bar and asking, "Hallo, why are you wearing a skirt?" By and large, people here in Germany tend to be far more active at policing one another than people in the U.S. Dress differently? No problem. Jaywalking? You're likely to receive a comment addressing your anti-societal behavior!

I suspect Amsterdam is similar, with the caveat that Amerstam is indeed far more liberal than most of the rest of Europe.

Europe is indeed more tolerant than the US when it comes to certain things. Take, for example, the wearing of skirts by men. In Germany, it's referred to as "männerock," and one of the most prominant companies, MenInTime sells skirts to men around the world. My only beef is that they're ridiculously expensive! Therefore, I prefer wearing non-feminine skirts from other sources, such as LL Bean, Target, eBay, etc.

However, more tolerant doesn't necessarily mean less conspicuously interested. The people are curious, and no one has a problem walking up to you at a bar and asking, "Hallo, why are you wearing a skirt?" By and large, people here in Germany tend to be far more active at policing one another than people in the U.S. Dress differently? No problem. Jaywalking? You're likely to receive a comment addressing your anti-societal behavior!

I suspect Amsterdam is similar, with the caveat that Amerstam is indeed far more liberal than most of the rest of Europe.

Hello dr1819,

you are living also in Germany? Be ashamed that you never fulfilled your personal profile correctly. Where is the problem? If there has ever been a typical german behaviour, then it's our lack of self-confidence.

micha :wink:

The best fashion is your own fashion!

• 4 weeks later...

Me and my girlfriend are going to Amsterdam for my birthday in November. I'm definitely going to take advantage of Amsterdam and wear my heels when I'm out there. ;) (Obviously not all the time - if we are doing lots of walking while sightseeing I will be wearing my trainers). Great shots by the way kneehighs. :lol: (BTW - heeling is not my sole reason for choosing Amsterdam, I've always wanted to visit the place regardless).

Me and my girlfriend are going to Amsterdam for my birthday in November.

I'm definitely going to take advantage of Amsterdam and wear my heels when I'm out there. ;) (Obviously not all the time - if we are doing lots of walking while sightseeing I will be wearing my trainers).

Great shots by the way kneehighs. :lol:

(BTW - heeling is not my sole reason for choosing Amsterdam, I've always wanted to visit the place regardless).

Thanks for the compliments on the pics.

XXXyou'll see these everywhere in Amsterdam...three St. Andrew's crosses rotated 90 degrees. Historians think they represent three dangers which have plagued Amsterdam: flood, fire, and pestilence. I think you'll have a great time in Amsterdam. You know that according the CIA World Fact Book, 31% of Dutch residents are Roman Catholic , 21% Protestant, 4.4% Muslim 4.4%, 3.6% other , and 40% are unaffiliated. Thats right--40% are unaffiliated. Of Amsterdam's 5046 km of waterways, 3745 km were (as of 2002) canals!

And if gourmet New Dutch Cuisine tantalizes your taste buds, here is a review I wrote for another web forum on Five Flies in Amsterdam:

the food at five flies was delicious and by far the best I had in Amsterdam.

I did the 5 course tasting menu for 44.25 Euros. Each dish was unveiled with an artistic visual flare and each bite was equally sumptuous. The five plates: veal tartare, Poultry liver , filet of rabbit, suckling pig, and a super delicious strawberry sorbet. I also ordered their bottled water which came in their own private Five Flies label for 3.95 euros and had a glass of El Portillo malbec for only 4.25 euros.

The rabbit was especially impressive. Many times I've had rabbit before only to bite into a piece of meat as chewy as a piece of leather. The rabbit here was tender Fillet of saddle of rabbit with deep-fried asparagus, glazed shallots,

broad beans and creamy jus--very good.

Dutch cuisine isn't generally world famous for the quality of its food, but Five Flies head chef Rene Cramer gives Dutch food culinary excellence with a modern French influenced form using organic ingredients as much as possible.

The service at the restaurant was equally impressive. I wrote an email requesting a reservation. Within 1 day they wrote back and the tone of their letter was VERY cordial thanking me for my reservation and wishing me well during my stay in Holland. The server was equally knowledgeable about the food and asked if I was allergic to any ingredients or averse to any substances.

Ambiance wise, they have 9 separate dining rooms in 5 canal houses decorated with artifacts from Hollands Golden Age--including 4 original Rembrandts. No music was played and the other patrons were 40-60 years of age--at least in the dining room I was in.

Of all the restaurants I went to in Amsterdam during my 7 night stay, this will be the one I WILL RETURN to when I visit again.

And pertinent to everyone's interests here, you'll get to see alot of:

Posted Image

Have a blast and give us a story of your street heeling successes!

Hallo, thanks for al the talk about Amsterdam. I live 15 km of the centre of it in the country. You can see heels every where, specialy near the place for the night live (disco's, bar Rembrandplein, Leidseplein etc). In Amsterdam living about 800.000 people and has a ringroad about 33 km with 2 tunnels even trains from the north coming to Amsterdam throu a tunnel. I am afraid not much straid men in heels, TV and TS you can find them wearing heels and more extravagante clouding. enjoy Amsterdam

Amsterdam is a modern, cosmopolitan european city. While I am sure that the chances of seeing another man wearing high heels is small unless FF and Calv are holding a "heel meet" there. So, don't despair, wear your heels in Amsterdam with confidence and pride. Have a nice vacation and Happy Birthday.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I would have thought many of the streets along the canals were too rough for easy heel wearing, especially when you maneuver to avoid cars, plus the slopes over the bridges. I know I would be afraid to try platform heels there.

• 1 month later...

Well, in the end we didn't go to Amsterdam. Firstly, my dad has offered to pay for me and GF to go to NY later on this month so we graciously excepted (Payless here I come!). :lol: Secondly, we decided that it would still be lovely to go away for my birthday so we decided to drive to France for a few days - cheaper and nearer. We stayed in Calais for the first night we arrived and the last two days we stayed in Lille. All accomodation was basic but functional and something we will do again. On the last day on the way back home we decided to go through Belgium, so we drove to the beautiful city of Ghent. Amazing place. Lille was nice too of course.

Anyway, on the shoe wearing note. During the first day there I wore my black bar ballet flats:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Ballet%20Flats/blackbarballetpumps1.jpg

No one noticed. I had to wear socks though as it was cold. I didn't want to wear heels during the day as a lot of walking was involved. On the second and third day I wore my trainers (again walking and then driving).

Now during the evenings. On the evening of my birthday (first evening in Lille) I wore my tan 3" cowgirl boots, with blue jeans and a black shirt combo. Let me say the look worked a treat(!) and no-one said a word in the restaurant we went to - which only had another group of guys in there. My heels were fully on show when we were seated. I actually spoke to one of them as there was a problem with the card machine not taking my cards and the restaurant owner didn't no a word of English (my French is dire). Needless to say it didn't feel like I was in a goldfish bowl wearing my boots! A great feeling. A lovely birthday.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/Cowgirl3.jpg

On the second evening in Lille I wore my tan 2" block boots with boot cut jeans and Gap jumper. We went to a Chinese restaurant. Again, an uneventful evening wearing heels - with them on show when I was seated. Loved it! ;) (Oh my GF finally got to wear her Ravel high heels I bought her earlier this year which was lovely!)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/Heel-D/Boots/PeacocksChnkHeel4.jpg

Shopping wise - Lille is shoe shop heaven. We stopped in quite a few and tried on some shoes and boots. Lots of great boots. I bought six pairs of shoes! 3 pairs of boots - one pair of 1" wedge black kneehigh boots (for €10!) (handy possibly for work and general streetheeling as they will go unnoticed and it will help me break into wearing more "interesting" shoes more often), one pair of round toe 2" black suede ankle boots (for €15!) and one pair of 2" black round toe kneehighs (again for €10!). French hypermarkets are great! Also got some cute flats - one pair of black leather ballerina pumps (I love them! Just what I've been looking for), one pair of black leather pointed flat pumps and a leather "bordeaux" pair of 1" heel pump style shoes. (As I said before I like all styles of women's shoes not just high heels). Again all from the hypermarkets except the ballet pumps which I bought in a proper shoe shop. One shoe chain had one of there stores selling all shoes for €19,90. Saw one pair of kneehighs I was interested in but unfortunately they didn't fit (they must of got the sizing wrong!). I will post pics of my new shoes soon. Probably in the Lunchtime shopping thread.

Ghent again had some nice shoe shops - not as many as Lille though. The beauty of the city made up for that though. In Ghent I didn't heel, cobbles and the fact we were doing lots of walking around during the day. We are going to visit Ghent again and when we do I will definitely wear some of my heels out and about.

So, a great heeling and shoe wearing experience over the last few days. I'm beginning to find heeling get easier and easier. It's becoming second nature and I don't feel as if I'm in a goldfish bowl as much as I used to! Hopefully one day I can wear what I want and not have to think twice about it.

Well, in the end we didn't go to Amsterdam. Firstly, my dad has offered to pay for me and GF to go to NY later on this month so we graciously excepted (Payless here I come!)....

HeelD, if you want to meet up when you are in nyc, please don't hesitate to contact me or pam. Provided my work schedule will permit, I'd love to meet you and your girlfriend.

Heel-D:-) It sure sounds like both of you had a wonderful time in France for a few days. Lots of shoe shopping and sight seeing, and a little heeling too. The more you heel, the more fun you have and the easier it becomes to enjoy yourself while doing it. Congrats! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!