Heel Height And Perception

JeffB

Yesterday morning at the office, my supervisor, who had been on vacation for the last two weeks asked if I bought any new shoes while she had been away. So I showed off a pair of black leather Renetti pumps I recently won via auction, she was impressed with the shoes, and then gasped from shock when she saw how high the heels were, leading to the following little conversation:

Supervisor: Are those five inch heels?

Me: Yup. Nice, huh?

S: They are. I honestly don’t know how you do it. I’d break my damn neck if I wore those things. You aren’t going to go any higher, are you?

M: Nope. This is enough for me.

S: It’s amazing. I’ve never seen anyone, not even a woman wear five inch heels before. That’s the truth. And you make it look so easy.

M: Well, I wouldn’t exactly say “easy”. It did take some practice. But I do feel comfortable in them.

S: You look comfortable. Those are sharp pumps. Wait until I tell my girlfriends about you.

Afterwards, I thought long and hard about what my supervisor said about never having seen women wear five inch heels. But then, I would imagine that not many women wear such shoes on a regular basis. Four? Sure. But five? Not hardly. At least that’s what I think. Here at the facility, only a handful of women (including my supervisor) wear heels higher than three inches, and certainly, no one goes as high as I do, so maybe my supervisor isn’t the only woman who’s never seen anyone wear five inchers. I find it remarkable, but then, I guess it depends on the circles my co-workers travel in outside of the office. Come to think of it, I’ve never seen women in five inchers! How about that?

Those same women who see me wearing my skyscraper heels at the office continue to be amazed at how I prance around so well in stilettos. I guess it boils down to the perception that men shouldn’t be able to stand, much less walk in high heels just as well (if not better) as any woman, but then, the majority of women have never seen men wearing high heels, therefore they have no basis for their opinions. We here are all living proof that it can be done, but the world at large doesn’t know that. I know that every female co-worker I’ve talked to has told me, some more than once, that they never saw or even imagined a man in heels until I came along, so I’m something of a revelation to them.

From day one when I started wearing women’s shoes at the office, I’ve never been looked at by co-workers as an oddity, even when I broke out the pumps, on the contrary, they say I look stylish because of the shoes. And yet, they still go wide-eyed when they see me in very tall heels, like I’m defying the laws of gravity or something. Again, that perception I mentioned earlier. I can’t help but chuckle at that contradiction since it’s something they rarely see, either from a woman….or a man, so I astound them daily. In closing, perhaps you could ask your lady friends if they ever see women….or men in five inch heels and gauge the responses you get.

:wink:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Nice one JeffB. I wonder what shoe size you are as the effective height of the heel will change as the foot gets bigger. Perhaps your supervisor is not remembering that. 5" for you would be similar to a 4" for her perhaps. From her reaction, sounds like you could be on for a "Girle" night out. :wink: Your Renetti pumps look to me to be a comfortable heel height. Keep up the good work. TB2

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

You're still my hero, Jeff.

For me it's a toss up between JeffB and thighbootguy.

JeffB,

I think I hinted awile back that your supervisor enjoyed seeing you in heels, now I have no doubt.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Nice one JeffB.

I wonder what shoe size you are as the effective height of the heel will change as the foot gets bigger. Perhaps your supervisor is not remembering that. 5" for you would be similar to a 4" for her perhaps.

From her reaction, sounds like you could be on for a "Girle" night out. :wink:

Your Renetti pumps look to me to be a comfortable heel height. Keep up the good work.

TB2

Well, my male size is 12 and I wear a women's size 13 wide, but because the Renettis (and the Pleasers) only come in medium width, I opt for 14. You're right though, for someone of my height and shoe size, the five inch heel is natural to me while anything under four inches feel like flats. As for a "night out with the girls", I'd be shocked if something like that ever happened!

:rofl:

To Warren and Shafted: I greatly appreciate your kind words. It's nice to know I have such a positive impact on the folks here. As for my supervisor, yeah, she does get a kick out of seeing me in heels and says I have great taste in shoes. And she should know since she wears some nice heels herself!

:lol:

In a new example of heel height and perception, another co-worker was startled at seeing me wearing my Pleaser Seduce 420 pumps (in black), saying she was amazed to see me walking in five inch heels. I told her it was no big deal, that it's quite easy for me. And that's no lie. Much to my own amazement, five inch heels, which I never would've imagined wearing a year ago have become ridiculously easy to stand and walk in, sometimes, it doesn't feel like they're that tall as I've become so acclimated to the height. And that continues to amaze my co-workers when I tell them how easy five inchers are for me. As I've said previously, I don't see myself exceeding five inches, but in time, I can see myself wearing nothing but that height on a daily basis, that in time, even four inchers will feel like flats. And that perception is already starting to settle in my brain. :wink:

It's got to do with 2 factors: 1) how often you where certain heights of heels and 2) how big your feet are. If you only wear flats and then wear like a 2" heel, you might feel some discomfort at first. If you wear 4" all day, 5" will be easy for you. Also, if you have a smaller foot, your foot will be on more on an uncomfortable incline in a higher heels, where as a larger foot would be a more gradual incline.

What you all say here is so true. From my postings I guess that you all can tell that I am a fan of Thighbootguy and JeffB. These guys are both amazing individuals and deserve all of the accolades that they can get and then some. My hat is off to them both. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

It's got to do with 2 factors: 1) how often you where certain heights of heels and 2) how big your feet are.

If you only wear flats and then wear like a 2" heel, you might feel some discomfort at first. If you wear 4" all day, 5" will be easy for you.

A two inch heel? Perish the thought! I wouldn't be caught dead wearing something so low!! Seriously, I can see your point here, I've been wearing four and five inchers on a regular basis for almost two years now, so yeah, I'm quite acclimated to them. Hell, I can't even look at anything under four inches these days!

Also, if you have a smaller foot, your foot will be on more on an uncomfortable incline in a higher heels, where as a larger foot would be a more gradual incline.

Well, my women's shoe size is 13 wide, so that's hardly a problem. Again, you bring up an excellent point with your analysis. And to Dawn, I appreciate your kind words. I never envisioned having people actually admire me when I first joined this board. That's certainly heady stuff!

I have to agree with the foot size discussion. My boyfriend can wear 5" heels and walk around in them no problem (size 12-13 foot in womens). I have trouble with them (size 8-81/2 foot in womens). I am not standing on the ball of my foot, but farther forward on the joints of my toes before the ball of my foot.

I am not standing on the ball of my foot, but farther forward on the joints of my toes before the ball of my foot.

Sad to say but 5" probably isn't for you, texasbumpkin. The ball of you foot MUST bear your weight with your heel or SERIOUS foot problems will results, that are potentially crippling.

I would hate to see anyone permanently destroy their mobility for the sake of high heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

hi jeff interesting story with perceptions funny enough i started seeing a new gf and weve been together 2 months now. ive not mentioned the heels to her yet ( i know general opinion is to mention asap) but we recently went out clubbing n she was jokin about her feet killing when we were walking home afterwards (she has on some 3.5in sandals) so i joked that she could wear my shoes cos they were comfy. so jokinly she said well u wear mine then....... so i did. lol. sh ewas quite amazed at how easy i could walk in them and commented that 'most lads wouldnt be able to do it' Im sure she thinks i did it for the laugh but she wasnt negative and it is a start :wink: daz

That's a good start, Daz! What's next? If I may, how about something like, "Remember the other night when we switched shoes and I wore your heels home?" "You know, I actually enjoyed that - what's your thought on that? Do you think it's strange, or ok?" Who knows, though. The things are tricky!

Well Daz, I'd start by telling her there is a good reason why you walked so well in her shoes. Then let her think about that one for a moment. Then introduce her to your shoe collection. She might be like a kid in a candy store.

Hey Daz, glad to see you again. While, if I were you, I would find a very convenient place to tell her about your heels. The sooner the better...before the relationship develops to a point where one of your (or both) will be hurt. As for the way to tell here, I guess you could just show up for a date one evening wearing one of those nice pair of boots you have. I remember from the pictures you posted that they looked really nice -- and normal -- with your blue shirt, tie and dark trousers. What ever you chose to do, I hope it goes well. Good luck! :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Daz:-) It is good to hear from you again. Stay with us this time. Walking home in your GF's heels could be the ice breaker that you have been looking for. The fellows have made some excellent suggestons to move this further, but I'm sure you will pick your chance as you have done before. Good luck and enjoy!!! Let us all know your progress in this matter. Congrats! Dr1819:-) I see that you have changed your Avatar pic. That's you I suppose in the long denim skirt and boots? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Dr1819:-)

I see that you have changed your Avatar pic. That's you I suppose in the long denim skirt and boots?

Cheers---

Dawn HH

...and, dr1819, is that a bought item or modified/altered from an ordinary pair of jeans?

/I

/I

And now, a new episode in the adventures of heel height and perception. At lunchtime every weekday, I put on my athletic shoes and go for a good long walk. Well, today, I had to swing by the Post Office for some stamps, when I walked in, I was right behind a gent who had to have been at least six and a half feet tall. That floored me since it's rare I see such tall people in my day to day travels. But then, it occured to me that when I'm in my heels, especially my five inchers, I check in at six foot seven, pretty much the same height as the gentleman ahead of me, so, on this occasion, I was the person looking up at someone else while at work, everyone is looking up at me. I found that rather humbling and it made me think of how I must humble people when I'm towering over them in my heels. Just some food for thought. :wink:

Hmmm! wearing 5" heels doesn't make you 5" taller. There's a whole long thread on that subject somewhere here on the forum. That isn't to say, however, that it doesn't give you that "feeling of humbleness" because you tower over almost everyone else. I know that you would be much taller than me (I am 5'10) even without heels, and I would immediately take notice of that. :wink:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hmmm! wearing 5" heels doesn't make you 5" taller. There's a whole long thread on that subject somewhere here on the forum.

Well, I never actually measured myself in my five inchers, but I'm sure I must've come awfully close to what I had said. Anyhoo, when you're really tall, either naturally or, artificially, you do stand out in a crowd. I don't mind that really, but you do take notice when you're the one having to look up at a tall person.

Being tall is nice, especially when you need to see over a crowd.

Being tall is nice, especially when you need to see over a crowd.

Well, the only drawback to being tall is that you invariably have big feet, which was hell for me when it came to finding heels in my size until I started shopping on the Internet!

Heel height vs. height... At least on me 6'5" no heels... Size 14 Womens pumps. 4" heel(at the back) adds 2-1/2 inches 5" heel - 3" 6" heel - 3-1/4" by now my anckle is vertical above the ball of my foot... Rotating further forward (if I could stand) would only make me shorter! It's a trigonometry thing.

I would say I'm tall at 5'10", but when I put on my heels I can see over nearly everbody's head when I'm in a crowd.

What about our own self-perception when we wear heels? I've found that when I first tried on a pair of heels (3.5") that I tended to stoop because it seemed I was too tall! Over time, and after having worn them around the house for a few hours a day, I feel short when I take them off, like you did when you were a kid and the counter was just a little bit too high.