Why conservative?

e

Friday noon here in downtown Rochester NY there were more spike heels on the street during my lunch time walk than the last two weeks combined. Come to find out there was a religious convention going on at the civic arena and the folks were heading out for lunch. This is not the first time I've noticed this. Most if not all these ladies were dressed in their "Sunday best", some with husbands and some with kids. Mind you, they are meeting in a hockey arena, i.e., lots of steep stairs and not much legroom. 4 and 5 inch heels were in abundance, not the exception. Their nametags indicated "God's Country", or something close to that. I've noticed the last few years more and more conservative religious groups formimg where the women dress in skirts,etc. I admit I've never asked,but my hunch is these religions are very male dominated,and the womens' clothing style reflects this. I suspect this is the way the men and the women like it. And I suspect this has more to do with power then religion. Are high heel ladies more conservative ?

Well e, I don't know how much religious television programming you've seen. While channel surfing on several occasions I've come across a lovely high heeled preacher woman named Paula White. Couldn't help but stop and watch. She always has on a wonderful pair of stilettos when shes preaching. For every conservative woman in heels I can show you a liberal woman in heels. I don't believe there is a correlation between the two.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Some religious groups enforce the women dressing as women and men dressing as men ideals. Most of the time this means men in trousers an women in skirts etc. but no specific mention is ever made of footwear.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Islam specifically forbids taking clothes designed for the opposite sex, although the clothes for the women seem to me to be more fashioned for repressive purposes in the extreme interpretations,

Islam specifically forbids taking clothes designed for the opposite sex, although the clothes for the women seem to me to be more fashioned for repressive purposes in the extreme interpretations,

Actually, the Birkas and Shameez have more to do with tradition than with q'ran writings.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

From my experience in the Southern U.S., I think there is definately a correlation between religious women and heels/skirts. I was raised with Pentecostal friends who never wore makeup, but they were always in long dresses/skirts and in 4 inch heels. While nothing in the Bible prescibes this typr of attire, I always thought it was the male authoritarian religion, wanting their women to look feminine, but modest. Thus the paradox of high heels, but super conservative clothes.

Hi Carole9899! Welcome to hhplace, always good to see a new member.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Thanks shafted! After reading this thread, I called one of my friends, a United Pentecostal Church (UPC) member in Birmingham , Alabama to make sure they were ok after the hurricane. I told her about this website (she known my Husband and I for some time) and the prevalance of heels in Pentecostal churches. She had a couple of theories: 1) in some UPC churches, there are so many prohibitions about what you cannot wear, that heels are one of the few ways to be creative and be a little bit sexy; 2) some of the husbands definately prefer heels on their wives and daughters, so it becomes an "unwritten rule"; and 3) People in the South have always loved the "Southern Belle" image, and heels certainly are a part of it, so its part of the culture. Anyway, I thought you all may enjou another southern girl perspective.

Thanks shafted!

After reading this thread, I called one of my friends, a United Pentecostal Church (UPC) member in Birmingham , Alabama to make sure they were ok after the hurricane.

I told her about this website (she known my Husband and I for some time) and the prevalance of heels in Pentecostal churches.

She had a couple of theories: 1) in some UPC churches, there are so many prohibitions about what you cannot wear, that heels are one of the few ways to be creative and be a little bit sexy; 2) some of the husbands definately prefer heels on their wives and daughters, so it becomes an "unwritten rule"; and 3) People in the South have always loved the "Southern Belle" image, and heels certainly are a part of it, so its part of the culture.

Anyway, I thought you all may enjou another southern girl perspective.

The first two statements follow my thoughts as well.

I am willing to bet that the majority of high heels purchased by men and worn in secret could be very well centralized in the bible belt of the U.S.

Oh the agony one would go through such sinful desire to wear hh with out repercussion from their church and social groups!!!

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Carole9899, You confirm my hunch. A Conservative male dominated religion that keeps their women in Sunday best and spike heels. If the ladies buy into it, no wonder their growing.

Welcome aboard, Carole! I hope you'll enjoy the site. I have no use for religion myself, but I can imagine that heel wearing men in the Bible Belt are pretty much closeted because of rigid expectations regarding what the genders should and should and shouldn't wear, and any deviations from those norms would probably be met with strident condemnations. For men in those situations, fashion freedom means choosing brown wingtips instead of black wingtips. :P

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thank you all for the welcome! I am glad I can provide a unique perspective. Hoverfly and JeffB, you are correct. Any wearing of heels by men here in the South would automatically lump them into the "gay" category by most people here. Unfortunately, Fashion trends are often dictated by whatever is on sale at WalMart. :P E, my boyfriend and I go to a conservative church here in Louisiana (though, not United Pentecostal) and most of us wear heels and dresses. I would speculate that some wear them out of a "peer pressure" thing. Others wear them because their partners insist on them or have expressed a desire for them to wear them.

This is an interesting discussion, but I feel that women are being given short shrift here - apparently the only reason they wear dresses and heels is because of "peer pressure", partners' insistance, etc. I suspect that a vast majorify of women wear dresses and heels simply because they WANT to - no outside pressure at all. Believe it or not, there are still MANY women out there who have enough self-esteem, and self-confidence, that they can choose their own wardrobe without input from partners, or friends, or society. Give them credit for wanting to look and feel feminine! Aly

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

Having lived in the "City of Churches" -- they said it on a video game -- I completely understand overbearing religion. There are is a prevelance of Baptist churches here in Jonesboro and it drives me crazy. I'm Episcopalian and I love it. The baptists I have experince with are very obtuse in their views and hypocritical at the same time. They force us to have a Dry County -- yes they still exist -- but the girls who go to the churches wear clothing that even the High School would send them home for. I just don't get it, maybe I'm too open minded. I love living in New Orleans, even if it's only for school right now, because no matter how many Catholics and Jews and any of the religions are, they don't really rule how things go on -- or at least not what I've experienced -- and I know that I'm happy to be out of the Bible Belt.

This is an interesting discussion, but I feel that women are being given short shrift here - apparently the only reason they wear dresses and heels is because of "peer pressure", partners' insistance, etc. I suspect that a vast majorify of women wear dresses and heels simply because they WANT to - no outside pressure at all. Believe it or not, there are still MANY women out there who have enough self-esteem, and self-confidence, that they can choose their own wardrobe without input from partners, or friends, or society. Give them credit for wanting to look and feel feminine!

Aly

Yeahhhhhhh um........I don't think that any body here has given women the short shift here. But if you look else where like in the Northern States it's a treat to see one women in heels above 4" and these women clearly wear them by choice. This is because they live a more independent lifestyle even in marriage and chose not to wear them.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Maybe the women just want to be closer to God and farther away from the devil. I'd like to start a religion that requires women to wear high heeled thigh boots. I think we would have lots of male members and almost no female members.

Everyone should wear boots!

I come from a very conservative religious background. I've also got some experiences with other similar conservative religions and not so conservative religions. my two cents on the matter. Most religions I've met are big on being simple and dressed in a way not to draw attention. However, many have had heated debates on that matter because there comes a point where the view held is out-dated and not practical. the churches that hold on to their memberships and are the most honest with themselves show the most understanding. the ideals that most religions hold are designed to keep guys from drooling over their women. ( I can say this with some level of certainty because I've traveled a bit around the world. My dad is a minister....) when it comes to high heels, most places i've been, they have issue with the extremes of the height women wear. for the most part, it's a lost cause because the very guys arguing about lowering the heels have wives that wear the highest. it's expected by the membership that the men in power have well groomed high heel wearing wives. so the arguement is fading and the trend is raising heel height as a form of self expression and independence of woman's thought. actually, the less conservative churches i've seen allow pants and let's the women be autonomous and leaders. these women really go all out with their heels and their daughters really go overboard with the clothing. the bottom line, heels is what the wome use as a means of asserting their power and status in a lot of churches that i've seen. (as well as the many reasons you guys already stated) the one thing i've learned, conservative guys will not show signs of being interested in high heels. but they love their women in high heels. are there closet heel wearers? some how i doubt it. in many conservative religions, the women are the more open-minded bunch and more accepting of change and more likely to do things in the closet and later come out with it. the guys, they seem to believe what they think and the only closet thing i've seen so far is their love of high heels. (and a few gay guys who pretent not to be) i'm in the rare position where i do go attend many different churches. the ones dying are the ones that hold to antiquated views and you can tell by the lowness of the heels. the thriving churches tend to have an over abundance of high heels. (part of where I get my pics from sometimes... church functions like dinners and banquets). I have rambled way too long. Welcome Carole. Next time, i'll be more coherent. I just like how churches now have embrassed the reality of where they live and are more real and practical. Religion should never have been about the don'ts and control. it was meant for freedom of growth and expansion. those churches that hold to that norm have grown and expanded and the heels there range easily from 4 to 5.5. inchers on the regular!!! RPM

I'd like to start a religion that requires women to wear high heeled thigh boots. I think we would have lots of male members and almost no female members.

Oh there would be women in your religion all right, they would be mistresses practicing S&M and not saying Amen, but being on your knees saying “Yes mistress.” :P

Yeah baby!!!! Where do I sign up??!!! :rofl:

Hi hoverfly, I believe the proper response would be "Thank you, mistress. May I have another."

• 2 weeks later...

Jehovah's Witnesses were the latest religious group in Rochester NY having a convention last weekend. Same style as before: Women extremely well dressed for a Friday mid-day downtown meeting, but an older crowd, dressed al ittle more frumpy, heels definitely lower than the last group...

i think i can speak on islam - where high heels are not forbidden as such, rather the noise they make- however i have on many occasions heard very noisy flat heels as skirts and short tops are not allowed i tend to find a lot of young asian women wearing very high heels- it is their only fashion freedom only recently i spotted a beautiful muslim women in full hijab with a pair of clearly visible 4.5 inch stilletoe mules- which i found combined with the hijab incredibly sexy

I admit I've never asked,but my hunch is these religions are very male dominated,and the womens' clothing style reflects this. I suspect this is the way the men and the women like it. And I suspect this has more to do with power then religion.

Are high heel ladies more conservative ?

I'd be willing to bet you that the ladies dominate! Although I'm a Christian, I've often found Christian women to be very particular. The skirts and heels are part of their culture, a conformity to the 50's "norm" epitomized by "Father Knows Best" and other TV shoes. It's merely an outdated stereotype, but many of these women are still search who they should be. Same for the men, too.