a shopping hint

dressboots

Am trying this experiment to work up the courage for shopping in person for feminine boots. I am visiting the web sites of stores that carry styles I like the looks of first, to discover if my size, 12 M, is stocked. If they are then my next step will be to visit the store. At least I have knowledge I am requesting something they genuinely have (at times), if not that day. Many stores do not carry size 12M so getting my courage up to request it is more courage than I want to work on at this point. Will let you know if/when I get brave. Have a few prospective stores to visit. Anybody try this before?

classic style high heel boots

dressboots, Yes I have although so far it was at Payless shoes. Wasn't any trouble and the sales clerk didn't bat an eye.. I wear a 12M in a Payless shoe/boot and this is the largest size they carry in the store. You can order a size 13 online also and have it sent to the store of your choice also. Next I may try a Nordstroms although it looks like I may need a size 13 and the selection isn't the best in what I like. Let us know how it works out for you....Jim

Yes try payless, some locations, espically in larger metro areas do carry size 13. Another good place to try is nordstrom rack, if there is one in your area. I am lucky to live only a few miles from the mall of america so I can go there.Also if there is a marshall fields or macys in your area they do carry larger sizes, but you must ask for them. Good luck.

High heels forever, ward

Regarding Payless, stick with innercity stores as suburban locations only go up to 11, maybe 12 depending on the store. Also, the larger the size, the smaller the selection. After 12, the pickings are extremely slim. Buyer beware.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Well, i did it. I purchased in person, a pair of tall boots at Payless today. Went to a local mall that also has a Rack Room Shoes that an Internet search indicated they had tall boots in 12 M. However they sytle they had was higher heeled than I wanted. I worked up the courage to go to Payless first to see if they had in stock a boot I had seen on line with a lower heel. At first they did not seem to have tall boots, only short boots, but then I noticed the taller boots were folded over in square boxes. I almost could not believe it when I then found the style I was looking for. They had one pair. The store was mostly empty save for two sales clerks. I went ahead and found a stool, kicked off my shoes and tried on the boots. They fit beautifully and the shaft was even narrow enough it was not baggy on my leg (not snug, but snug is virtually impossible to find for my slim calves). I did not walk around the store (courage flagged) returned them to the box and went to the cashier to make the purchase. The sales clerk was a middle aged lady who did not bat an eye at the boots I was purchasing. Made some pleasant small talk with her about business then departed. The boots are black, stretch knee boots with a 2" chunky heel. I can walk in them with little effort. Took the dog for a 25 minute walk around the neighborhood in them when I got home. A bit noisy in the heel for a "newbee" heeler but think I could get used to that. A really fine looking boot. I have a digital camera on my Christmas wish list - maybe I can post some photos in the near future. The Payless I went to had the men's and women's shoes displayed right next to one another making looking at the women's large sizes very easy to be on the sly, to work up the courage to bring total focus on them. Men's size 15 were right next to the women's 12's. The store was not divided half and half the way other stores are. Payless was a good store to start out with. There is a 9-West shoe store at the same mall. I think I have heard other posters say they carry size 12. Maybe next time.

classic style high heel boots

I purchased in person, a pair of tall boots at Payless today. Went to a local mall that also has a Rack Room Shoes that an Internet search indicated they had tall boots in 12 M. However they sytle they had was higher heeled than I wanted.

I've bought quite a few pairs from Payless. I notice, at least in the ones

I visit, they don't have everthing on display, they tend to rotate their

stock. Sometimes you can find some really cool stuff at a cheap

closeout price.

I bought a pair of "Samantha" style boots at Payless today. The web site

says they are 3.5 inch heel platform boots. I measured them, the platform is only about 1/2 inch and the heel is 4.25. They feel great, I can't wait to wear them when I go out.

- RobertB

I was nervous about getting my first pair of heels, so I went to a store away from the places my friends usually shop, and after wandering around a bit I went in right after lunch time when it is empty, it was an all women shoe store, and asked for a pair of shoe's with a "pointy" heel (meaning stiletto, trying to pass as someone who doesn't know anything about women shoe's) and said I was in a play and I needed shoe's like that for a scene. So theold lady showed me a couple, and said I think a need dressy shoe's and she showed me pumps I saw one I liked and said I think that is the one they said I need to buy. She looked at me and said you are maybe an 8, 8 1/2 brought both sizes and my size was 8 1/2 (american women). Paid and left easy no sweat but nobody was there. By the way I got 5" heels for my first ones and getting used to them easily.

dressboots, Glad your purchase went off OK. As I said I had the same experience with Payless. The boots sound similar to mine although my purchase was a kneeboot with a 3" heel that tapered to about 1/2 inch. Hopefully the selection of large sizes will increase soon..Jim

Seasons Greetings Y'all !!!!!! :drinking: Wal-Marts are also carrying some Size 12 Boots and Shoes now too for a lower cost alternative with several still looking Masculine yet Stylish should the need arise and/or require. Take Care.

Boots Rock!!!!

Am trying this experiment to work up the courage for shopping in person for feminine boots.

I am visiting the web sites of stores that carry styles I like the looks of first, to discover if my size, 12 M, is stocked. If they are then my next step will be to visit the store. At least I have knowledge I am requesting something they genuinely have (at times), if not that day.

Many stores do not carry size 12M so getting my courage up to request it is more courage than I want to work on at this point.

Will let you know if/when I get brave. Have a few prospective stores to visit.

Anybody try this before?

Naturally!

But I have never found shops for buying shoes personally. My size is EU 44/45=US13=UK11. I'm not afraid anymore to inspect the offer in the womens department. My experience tells me: All oversized shoes for ladies are scrap. Simply ugly, may be suitable for my grandmother. I have bought all my shoes via internet. I'm a virtual high heels wearer (*grin*)

I wrote already emails to "Otto-Versand", the biggest mailorder company in Germany and to"Buffalo-Shoes", one of the the most stylish shoe sellers in Middle-Europe. My question was "Isn't there a market for women and guys beyond EU 42?". From OTTO I received at least an irrelevant answer, may be because I'm registered customer. From "Buffalo" only silence!

Don't know if such complaining mails are really helpful but it's a trial worth.

micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

The Payless I went to had the men's and women's shoes displayed right next to one another making looking at the women's large sizes very easy to be on the sly, to work up the courage to bring total focus on them. Men's size 15 were right next to the women's 12's. The store was not divided half and half the way other stores are.

Agreed -- I've just started noticing this myself, and am pleased as punch -- I get twice the selection to choose from without having to go across the store! :-)

Most Payless stores are arranged that way because they know many men buy women's shoes. That's why most of the clerks never think twice when you pay for them, because they know it's for you. The large sizes are usually in the back and corner of the store, to give shy males some privacy. If you see a smaller size, just grab the box and ask the clerk to check the storage for a larger size. They will usually have that size 10-13 in the back storage, and if they don't, it's because your fellow male heeler beat you to them! :) From what I have read, most people start off at Payless because it's self serving for the larger sizes. It's a great way to build your confidence if you're still shy. Just be casual about it. If you're nervous, you'll make the clerk nervous and she'll start thinking you're a perv, which in turn will make her quickly want to help you and get away. Then you'll feel uncomfortable and not want to buy them because you'll have to see her again at the registers.

Yes, it's beautiful isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...

I was out shopping yesterday and happened to stop at Walmart. Walked through the shoe dept and found they carry womens shoes in sizes up to 12. I found a nice pair of boots with a 4" block/stacked heel that fit me perfectly and I couldn't pass up..This is another easy place to by although the quality isn't there but for starters it's OK. Jim

Regarding Payless, stick with innercity stores as suburban locations only go up to 11, maybe 12 depending on the store. Also, the larger the size, the smaller the selection. After 12, the pickings are extremely slim. Buyer beware.

The first time I saw 13's in a Payless was in a suburban store. I do agree their sizes run larger. Their 10W fits me perfectly, any other brand I have to get an 11 or better.

I agree, Burlington Coat Factory usually carries quite a few styles in size 11. My avatar boots are from Michelle K, size 11, which I bought at Burlington Coat factory.

Also, last night I was strolling South Street in Philadelphia. I found a Bare Foot Shoes store. I went in and was surprised. Not only did I find lots of size 11's, I also spotted quite a few pairs of size 12's. Mostly in boots, but in shoes too. They carry a pretty wild selection of boots. Check it out if you are in the area.

Gary0618

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

gary0618,

Thanks for the info. I live about 1 hour from South Street and may have to give it a visit and check it out..

Jim

I'm in Lower Bucks. Maybe it's 45 min for me.

We'll have to have a GTG some time. I didn't know there were others

in this area.

RobertB.

Looks like the making of a Street Heeling Meet in Philadelphia.

I already have a lady friend into heels who would love to join us.

South street has about 6 or 8 shoe stores on it, and I think 1 or 2 on some of the side streets. For those who do not know of South Street, remember the 60's song: "Where do all the hippies meet? South street, South street". South Street Philadelphia. A fairly crazy street that has been getting tamer over the last few years, but is still a fun place.

Gary0618

FLAT SHOES, LIKE FLAT DRINKS, ARE FOR FLAT PEOPLE

anyone tried pumps that were one size bigger than what you normally wear? the reason i ask is i saw a pair of very sexy white 6 inch heel pumps on ebay this morning. they have the 2 inch platform that i like and ankle straps that wrap up the ankle, over and above the upper. all in all they look very sexy to me and the price is right, under 30 dollars. the problem is the size. i wear women's size 12 and the shoes i saw this morning are size 13. would my feet swim in shoes one size up? anyone have any experience there?

anyone tried pumps that were one size bigger than what you normally wear? the reason i ask is i saw a pair of very sexy white 6 inch heel pumps on ebay this morning. they have the 2 inch platform that i like and ankle straps that wrap up the ankle, over and above the upper. all in all they look very sexy to me and the price is right, under 30 dollars. the problem is the size. i wear women's size 12 and the shoes i saw this morning are size 13.

would my feet swim in shoes one size up?

anyone have any experience there?

You'll have trouble with them. They won't stay on your feet and you

will move around in them too much.

You can wear heavy socks to get away with a size too big but,

of course, that doesn't work well with pumps.

- Robert B.

white_6_inch_spike_heels, I have a pair of pumps, 5' heel, in the US womens 13 which I normally wear and I find them snug. I'll bet these would fit you OK. Sounds like the price is right so why not give them a try.. If they are big on you I may be interested so it wouldn't be a waste.. Jim

Usually, any pair of shoes that has a strap across the vamp or around the ankle or heel that can be adjusted is ok to wear even it is a size bigger. Likewise, sandals that are a size smaller can usually be worn without any problem, too, because they're open across the toes and heels.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.