How do you measure the real lift of the heel?

Beeblebrox

Is there any good an reliable way of measure the real lift of the heel. I'm thinking of actual heel hight minus platform or sole. Do you measure outside the shoe or boot? Do you measure inside the shoe or boot? Is there any other way of measureing it? Any other info is welcome too. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-04-12 02:59 ]</font>

Measure the front lift along the side, which is usually where it is the thickest (unless it's even) and then along the back of the heel for that height - then just subtract the front lift from the heel height, and VOILA!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

How do you measure heel height though? The heel height of the exposed heel part at the back can be up to half an inch different to where the position the foot rests, depending on the styling of the heel and the thickness of the sole inside, and how it is integrated with the heel.

I had a discussion about this on my last visit to Silhouette. The older man there (I suppose he's the owner) told me the only correct way is to measure the heel height from the center where the heel rests straight down (and substract the platform from the point where the ball of the foot rests).

I have an idea... Why not determine the heel by standing barefoot and being measured for height. Then out on the shoes, be measured again, and call the differrence the Net gain height. This way, we are discussing the shoes in terms of how much taller they make a person. I understand that people are not actually an inch taller for going up to six inches instead of five, but sometimes there has to be a way to look at this other than the shoe. And as for measuring the shoes, why not go up the back of the heel? Obviously we want to find the height of the actual heel, at the highest point. That's where my foot is elevated the most in my shoes. If we measure on the inside or any other place, then my nice five inch stilettos are only three and a half inches. Maybe I am missing the point. I favour level surface, measure height along the back.

That's why I said we should measure ourselves before heels, after heels, and call the difference the height of the heel. To determine what we can see and cannot see. Of course, if are looking at the design and not the effect, then there is nothing wrong with measuring what we can see and ignoring the rest.

In aviation we use a similar way to compare wings, it's called the "aspect ratio" where you divide the total wingspan by the average wing cord, resulting in a figure that is unrelated to the real size but gives an instant idea about sleekness. A glider for instance with a 15m wingspan and 1m (deep) cord resulting in a 15:1 aspect ratio. An F104 Starfighter with an 8m wingspan and average 2m (deep) wing would have a 4:1 aspect ratio. The higher the aspect ratio, the sleeker the wing (besides obvious other advantages in aerodynamica). Now it's up to you people to figure out someting similar using either actual length of a heeled shoe or length of the flat foot (Jap shoe size) compared to heel height or height gain of the person. Have fun

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Hello,

well about the measuremnt of the heel height - is it really that necessary? Well, I take the measurement outside at the back of the heel - the platform about at the middle. If anyone is adding padding, why not just add it to the heel height? But isn't the look and the feel of the heel the more important thing? If you really want to make a rating I'd try the following one:

((heel height) - (platform height))/((foot length)-(length of the toes))=rating

best wishes

Joak

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joak on 2002-04-17 14:08 ]</font>

• 1 year later...

The most important thing to remember is that the heel height of the shoe is different from the vertical lift you achieve while wearing those heels. For lower heel heights, this difference is minimal. For higher heel heights, this difference is larger.

Posted Image

When measuring the heel height of the shoe, there are two basic methods. In the diagram above, measurement D represents the American method of measuring along the backside of the heel from the floor up to where the top of the heels meets the bottom of the shoe heel section. And measurement C represents the Italian method of measuring heel height.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When measuring the vertical lift that the shoe achieves, there is more than one method. But I consider the following to be the best.

Imagine looking at a side view of your body. Draw a line from the top of your head down the middle of your side view to the floor. When you are lifted up by high heels, you are actually pivoting around your ankle. Everything stays in line except what is below the ankle. Therefore the ankle is the lowest part of your body that can be used as a reference.

In the diagram above, measurement A represents the height of the ankle bone while wearing heels, and measurement B represents the height of the ankle bone with no shoes.

Using Z to represent the increase in body height, and using a little mathematical computations and measurement, the following formulas apply:

Z = A - B

and Z = 0.7 x C

and Z = 0.6 x D

Therefore, if you have a 6" heel (measured Italian style C), it will increase your height by 4.2".

If you have a 6" heel (measured American style D), it will increase your height by 3.6".

The difference between the heel height and the heel lift increases with heel height because your ankle bone is shifting more horizontally forward as well as upward.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Thank you PJ for the most enlightening explanation of the subject I've ever seen on the subject. It's worth saving. :D:wink:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Can't say I followed the whole of that most excellent explanation, but it's late and I'm tired. I'll think about it :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Ah PJ, I see you have discovered the Italian website 'Tacchi a Spillo':

http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/3099/corpo.htm

Part of that website is also translated into English, and can be reached through

http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/3099/index_e.htm

(the part 'il nostro corpo' isn't :wink: )

I remember learning this information on the internet but forgot what site it was. I do remember it was in Italian and I had to use various online translation services to understand the theory. Although I never saved the URL from that site, I did save the picture of the shoe that I used in my posting. I'm not surprised about how much of the theory I remembered since this subject is a favorite topic of mine.

Their is some original thought in my posting. I needed it to explain certain concepts.

For those of you who still have questions about my explanation, please feel free to post them here and I will respond.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I have an idea...

Why not determine the heel by standing barefoot and being measured for height. Then out on the shoes, be measured again, and call the differrence the Net gain height. This way, we are discussing the shoes in terms of how much taller they make a person.

I understand that people are not actually an inch taller for going up to six inches instead of five, but sometimes there has to be a way to look at this other than the shoe.

This is actually how the trade does it. However, there is a certain amount of competition with regard to heel height in the fetish sector so heels will be measured up the highest point, usually vertically up the back or sometimes along the curvature of the back of the heel then rounded up to the nearest inch, thus a proper 5" heel could become a 6 or even a 7" heel without the benefit of Firefox's modifications!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 4 weeks later...

If my high school math teacher only knew the actual answer to the, "when will I ever actually use this stuff question," he would have soilded himself. :wink: AZShoeNut

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!