Our Real Life Encounters

genebujold

Here's place I hope we can collectively share our street-heeling encounters, positive and negative, with everyone. The general theme here is that it has to involve a conversation about your heel wear with someone, in public, whom you've never met before. At The Bank: This afternoon I visited the bank to add an additional account we're using to save additional funds for our son's college. I was present with my son because even though he's only nearing five, he can print his name, and I wanted him to be present when the account was created. I walked in with him wearing new pair of Harley-Davidsons and long black jeans. The boots (Emotion) are tight at size 11 while wearing a pair of knee-highs, but I'm hoping they'll break in. The account manager waived me to a chair next to her desk. It was far enough forward that when I sat down she had an excellent view of my heels. She seemed like the ultra-conservative "schoolmarm" type, all business, no pleasure, and don't you dare step out of line! At first I kept my boots flat on the floor, hoping the heels would escape her notice, but when I caught her stealing a quick look, I knew that she knew, so I crossed my legs like I normally do. While I was filling out the paperwork, she asked, "are those men's shoes?" to which I replied in the negative. She countered with, "then why are you wearing them?" I told her about my ankle injury, trying a pair of elevator shoes, etc., before discovering that women's heels fit the bill at hundreds of dollars less, as well as how, after wearing women's heels for a while I discovered I rather liked the way they looked and how I felt while wearing them. She then suprised me when she asked if I wore any other women's clothing, and I guess I suprised her when I said, "sure do - skirts" before adding, "I find them more comfortable than pants." Then, she trumped me - "So why aren't you wearing a skirt now? If they're more comfortable than pants, why aren't you wearing a skirt?" I laughed, she giggled in response, before I said, "well, I'm not really into attracting a lot of attention; in fact, I kind of like blending in..." Then she said something that really suprised me, given her conservative dress: "Oh, go ahead - we've been wearing pants for decades. It's about time you guys had some fun and branched out a little. The only thing I see guys wearing differently these days are earrings - boooor-riiiiing!" When she walked the paperwork over to her manager for approval, I noticed she was wearing a long black pleated skirt, along with a pair of very nice black leather stiletto pumps, topped off with an ankle bracelet. When she returned and flicked her hair back, I also noticed she was wearing one earring in her right ear, and three in her left. She was quite attractive, and if I weren't married, I would certainly have asked her out! Goes to show how first appearances can be deceiving...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Genebujold:-) It sounds like you had a very productive conversation with that lady at the bank. I'll bet that each time you show up at the bank in the future, she will check you out and maybe talk to you again. Congrats. In my street-heeling, I have had several looks, but no one has questioned me yet. If they do , I'll be sure and post them here. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

A most interesting experience indeed, gene. I've found in my travels that most women are high interested as to why men would want to wear heels and, more often than not, are accepting. I've never had anyone ask if I wear any other items of women's clothing, except for hosiery, so your openess to that lady about wearing a skirt was quite refreshing. More power to you, gene! :-?

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

A most interesting experience indeed, gene. I've found in my travels that most women are high interested as to why men would want to wear heels and, more often than not, are accepting. I've never had anyone ask if I wear any other items of women's clothing, except for hosiery, so your openess to that lady about wearing a skirt was quite refreshing. More power to you, gene! :-?

Thank you, JeffB. I appears those among the human race that are most difficult to convince are those who adhere to preconceived notions as to how men and women "ought to be," without realizing that those notions are not only highly limited to the "here and now" history of mankind, but that they're ignorant of the many variations in clothing styles worn throughout fashion history.

Gene: well, she probably tries to put a "business first" front up.. but on her own time may be a 100% diferent charachter. About the boots.. They look quite nice.. the only description I found is off zappos, so I'll ask you.. are they quiet enough to be subtle? My 4" Tommy Hilfiger boots are comfortable, but louder then I'd like. Although from my experience yesterday shopping in Boca Raton/Fort Lauderdale the only time people notice them is when they are sitting and people watching... I'm looking to find a pair that are quiet enough for me to not draw attention due to noise.. So far I tend to get self concious when I make noise while walking.. oh well.. damn newbie problem :-? Great to hear your story. Have a good weekend Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

I went out to a coffee house for a nice morning drink. Coffee houses are everywhere here in the States, but I tend to enjoy the non-mainstream when it comes to just relaxing and enjoying the brew. The atmosphere makes it that much more enjoyable and they actually serve the coffee in coffee mugs! It was early summer, and with the nice crisp morning, I just go out in a t-shirt, shorts and my black platform flip flops. I usually just get the occassional curious smiles and sometimes the bewildered look of men. The smiles usually come from the ladies of course with the passing by comment of "That's cute". As I enter the shop, my ff of course make the familiar slapping and klop klop sound. I'm not a heavy walker or a feet dragger, so it's not that noisy. Few people looked me up and down and smile. No big deal to me, it's common, I just give a friendly smile back. I made my order, then sat down by the window. I was enjoying my scone, then noticed someone standing next to my table. Nice lady asked if I was sitting with anyone and if she could join me. Sure, why not, I enjoy the company of strangers. Conversations can always get really interesting. We make our introductions, then I noticed she looks over and then waves down this football/rugby looking type guy. She told him to bring his drink over and join us. He must've came out of the restroom. I'm thinking to myself, "Oh great. This must be her meathead boyfriend. It doesn't look good as I'm sitting and talking to his girl, while he's busy in the restroom." You can imagine the uncomfortable situation, as my mind is thinking of all these negatives of the guy and some of the negative comments he'll make. She introduces me as "that guy that came in with the high thongs". The guy shakes my hand and then I'm startled by his comments of "Hi, nice legs you have." I got really uncomfortable and my mind is racing at this point, thinking the lady is trying to set me up with her male friend! Or maybe they are going to ask me to join them in the bedroom...etc. I'm just not into that type of activities! We chatted some more and it turns out that the guy is really comfortable with himself, so it doesn't bother him to make friendly male comments like that. The lady was an interesting character with very interesting views of the world. It turns out they were both dating. They both thought that I was an interesting person to wear platform ff that are obviously not for guys. Curiousity got the better of her, so she just had to sit with me to talk. We finished our morning about 30-45 minutes later, then went our separate ways. I left thinking that I was the jerk for pre-judging the boyfriend, when he was a really open minded and friendly guy.

Yes, it's beautiful isn't it?

Gene: well, she probably tries to put a "business first" front up.. but on her own time may be a 100% diferent charachter.

About the boots.. They look quite nice.. the only description I found is off zappos, so I'll ask you.. are they quiet enough to be subtle?

My 4" Tommy Hilfiger boots are comfortable, but louder then I'd like.

I'm looking to find a pair that are quiet enough for me to not draw attention due to noise..

Have a good weekend

Jim

Both the sole and heel are made of a fairly rigid rubber, but they're still quieter than a pair of men's cowboy boot heels - certainly far quieter than your average women's heel, many of which are made of very hard, resonant materials like plastic or even steel. Noisy!

Although I'm a newbie compared to some who've been doing this 40 years or more, I don't feel like a newbie any more while walking around town, but I still prefer quieter heels, which is one of the selling points of the Harley-Davidson line.

Given the fact that they were designed to be worn around motorcycles, the leather is a bit thicker than normal, and I believe the rubber soles and heels are standard chemical-resistant rubber used on many construction boots, with a stiffer compound used in the heel for stability.

Here's a link to the ones I bought: http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1662197/c/3/g/women/s/13.html

Gene: very cool. I've been looking at the zappos site, but I will probably stop by a H-D store (some large ones in S-FL), and scope them out in person. Thanks! Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

I had a interesting real life situation on the phone today My mother and I are quite close since the death of my grandfather and the ending of one of my relationships were the ex just walked out on me. Well I went and told her today that I purchased myself some high heels, she thought I was crossdressing, I said no I just have a facination for High heels and she confessed she loves wearing mens jackets So hey were even ...she doesnt hold it against me and I felt Id rather tell her then them popping up one day and ahving to explain myself

This doesn't quite conform as a "conversation", but I hope this week's following experience will add interest to this thread: When dressing for a couple of hours shopping in Bristol's big Broadmead Shopping Centre, I decided that it wasn't going to be one of my "Bold" days (you know, 5" stiletto boots exposed under short ankle-length trousers), but instead it was going to be a "Shy" day, so I put on some boots with reasonably chunky 5" heels and lower trouser-bottoms only 1" above the ground. Imagine my surprise then, when strolling through the general public is the discreet mode, I heard a bloke's wolf-whistle and then a piecing girl's voice shouting "Oooh look! He's got GIRL'S shoes on!!!" I was amazed that they'd even spotted the little that was visible of my thickish heels. However, undaunted I promptly entered Barratt's Tall and Small shoe department, and bought myself a terrific pair of size 10UK (44.5 Eurosize and 12US) 4 1/4" stiletto courts in a style called "Argon" for £40. - Highly recommended! But later on, I reflected on the girls wording. I'd have been quite proud if she'd shouted "He's wearing high heels". That would have been great. But bearing in mind that men's cowboy boots, Beatle boots etc. have high heels, it rankled that one of my favourite pairs of street-heeling boots were instantly referred to as GIRL'S shoes!". Ah well, such are the trials and tribulations of a very keen street-heeler. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I hear you, Heelfan. It's the "heels are for the XX-chromosomed" mentality that gets my goat.

I've noticed yet another trend in fashion, coming to me by way of the recent resurgence in plaid skirts for women. The only precent I could think of, in movies, TV, or otherwise, was Sean Connery's and Prince Charles' pictures being plastered all over the internet in which both were in plaid kilts.

I thought, "who's copying whom?" Not only have kilts been around quite a while, but the patterns were locked in stone (er, tartan) centuries ago.

I thought back to all the other ladies fashion trends over the years, and what preceeded them:

guys' penny loafers --> ladies' penny loafers

guys' cashmere sweaters --> ladies' cashmere sweaters

guys' knit slacks --> ladies' knit slacks

guys' wearing "hippie" clothing --> women wearing "hippie" clothing

guys' wearing big, block-heel boots --> women wearing big, block-heel boots

guys' wearing black "power-suits" --> women wearing black "power-suits"

guys' wearing shorts --> women wearing shorts

guys going "business casual" --> women going "business casual"

guys wearing goth/demonic earrings --> women wearing goth/demonic earrings

guys body-piercing --> women body-piercing

Folks - it goes on and on. Every major fashion trend was started by guys! The women's adoption of the trend might have feminine over/undertones, but they invariably came out first with men!

guys wearing multiple rings on their fingers --> women wearing multiple rings on their fingers

guys wearing ponchos --> women wearing ponchos

guys wearing running shoes --> women wearing running shoes

guys wearing jeans --> women wearing jeans

guys shaving their heads --> women shaving their heads

What does this tell you about the nature of the inherent relationship between men and women on this planet? While it's true that women's fashions may look different than those for men (frilly ponchos vs utilitarian ponchos), the overarching fashion styles were still begun by men!

guys' wearing heels --> women wearing heels

I think I just convinced myself that we're not really playing catchup, but rather, we're looking for new trends to set! Therefore, let's throw off what we consider "normal" and start pushing the boundaries back a bit on men's styles. Let's wear mid-thigh leather coats. Let's go back to wearing less "manly" and more artistic hats. Let's wear more elegant, less blocky jewelry, including bracelets. Let's use a touch of makeup now and then to accentuate what we do have. Let's wear our hair like we did for the tens of thousands of years between our dawn and WWI: long! Let's go back to skirts, robes (dresses) and other, more comfortable cuts of clothing.

Let's continue setting trends away from the status quo.

Let's be leaders, not followers.

Let's be innovative, not rennovative.

Let's create, not recreate.

Let's explore, not hide.

Let's be men!

I thought, "who's copying whom?" Not only have kilts been around quite a while, but the patterns were locked in stone (er, tartan) centuries ago.

Actually, the kilt as we know it today has only been around since the 1800's, when Queen Victoria took a liking to all things Caledonian...

Prior to that, the "plaid" was a large piece of fabric that was used as clothing during the day and a bedroll at night.

The idea of a specific color, or pattern, being used to identify a specific clan or family is also an invention of Victorian times. Originally all the fabric was dyed using local plants so specific colors and patterns ar more regional than familial. And since early on the only way to weave the fabric was by hand, so patterns were also region-specific, or more correctly weaver-specific. It wasn't until the advent of mechanical looms that patterns could be mass-produced.

Of course that doesn't discount the appeal of kilts today - I wear one quite often, especially when attending local Highland Games, and my wife thinks that our son and I look quite dashing in them!

Aly

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

Both Gene and Flip Flop have incredible stories. It appears that there are more open-minded individuals out there than we think. The lady in the bank really blew me away. I would never have thought that a conversation with a person like you described could ever have progressed in that manner. (Same for the guy in the coffee shop.) It just shows that we can erroneously prejudge those who we fear are going to prejudge us because of our footwear choices. May we all be as fortunate as you two!!! :-?

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

I don't know if this counts as an encounter, but here goes - The group I work in consists of 5 guys and one girl - yesterday after our bi-weekly status meeting the group manager decided it was time that we all went out to lunch together. So we're discussing where to go, and someone mentioned a Japanese restaurant nearby - the consensus agreed so off we went. But I was a bit nervous - I was wearing the boots in my avatar, and Leggs's Sheer Energy hose in coffee color, and I knew that in most Japanese restaurants they expect you to remove your footwear before you enter the little dining "cubbyhole". After a few minutes of indecision I decided "What the heck - I'll deal with comments as they arise!" and I was committed. We got to the restaurant and sure enough, everyone removes their shoes. I pull up each pantleg, pull down the zippers on the boots, and carefully place them next to the others, then enter the dining area in my stockinged feet. We have a great lunch, discuss work, discuss the industry and the economy, and discuss our upcoming holiday plans and start to leave. I'm putting my boots back on when the girl co-worker sits down next to me, looks at my feet and says ... "Nice shoes!" ... that's it! Either she didn't notice that I was wearing nylons, or she didn't care - and likewise no mention that the boots weren't normal men's wear. We are a pretty close group of people so I know that if she had any comments to make she would have made them. Today I'm wearing my new boots that I bought recently, that look somewhat like Gene's avatar and again, no comments from anyone! Aly

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

Things have been way too hectic over the last week or so, but yesterday while in Auckland, I had some time to spend on my self and had two interesting encounters.

I had decided to check out the new spring fashions in the stores and Gallerias along Queen St in the CBD.I was wearing a dusky pink open collared shirt over a comfy pair of faded blue boot cut jeans and my 4" VS boots (points) for the outing.Because of the slight chill I also had on a dark navy Pierre Cardin sports coat.

While contemplating the design of a pair of high wedge slides in Scarpa,it took me several moments to realize that the young woman in kitten heels who was now standing next to me, was waiting for a reply to the statement she had just made. I apologised to her for not being attentive and she repeated herself.

"Those are lovely aren’t they....but I think you would look really good in these." and handed me the 3" closed toe mules she was holding.

Altho a little overwelmed,I'm never one to let a chance go by so I tossed the ball back by saying she had great taste and that I really liked her choice. As a result we engaged in 10 minutes of very pleasant shoe talk as I tried the mules in my size. She also mentioned it was the ist time she had ever seen a guy in heels but they did not look out of place on me and found my passion for shoes "a little different but very refreshing" (Unlike her boy friend who could not be persuaded to go shoe shopping for love nor money)

I didn’t buy the shoes in the end and we parted company soon after.

As I drove North later in the day I couldn't help but smile to myself as I dwelt on this delightfully open minded woman and her up lifting comments.

On my way home I stopped at Brian and Jean's new house just in time for a barbie and a little too much red wine. While there, Jean proudly showed me a pair of under slung 4" stiletto pumps (by Bronx) she had just bought at Wild Pair for $NZ59. Nice!!

At mid nite I said good bye and continued my trip home feeling contented but rather knackered.

At 2 am I was quietly driving thro a deserted Cable Bay when an unmarked patrol car appeared and pulled me over.

The lone female officer walked up to me stating this stop was for a random breath test and I had to speak my name and address into her analyzer.

"Failed result Sir, please step out of the vehicle"

Bugger..

I got out of my Honda and showed her my licence with thoughts of spending the next 12 hours locked in a dirty police cell with half a dozen members of the local Mongrel Mob chapter...

Bugger..!

I didn't think I had consumed anywhere near enough wine to be over the limit but was very relieved to see the words PASSED on the screen after my second attempt.

Great!!

As I was getting back into my car she thanked me for my cooperation and hoped I enjoyed the rest of my evening. Pausing for a second or two, I saw her demeanour change as she looked me in the eye. She then flashed me a smile and said..

"and I love your boots!"

jim :-?

Things have been way too hectic over the last week or so, but yesterday while in Auckland, I had some time to spend on my self and had two interesting encounters.

I had decided to check out the new spring fashions in the stores and Gallerias along Queen St in the CBD.I was wearing a dusky pink open collared shirt over a comfy pair of faded blue boot cut jeans and my 4" VS boots (points) for the outing.Because of the slight chill I also had on a dark navy Pierre Cardin sports coat.

While contemplating the design of a pair of high wedge slides in Scarpa,it took me several moments to realize that the young woman in kitten heels who was now standing next to me, was waiting for a reply to the statement she had just made. I apologised to her for not being attentive and she repeated herself.

"Those are lovely aren’t they....but I think you would look really good in these." and handed me the 3" closed toe mules she was holding.

Altho a little overwelmed,I'm never one to let a chance go by so I tossed the ball back by saying she had great taste and that I really liked her choice. As a result we engaged in 10 minutes of very pleasant shoe talk as I tried the mules in my size. She also mentioned it was the ist time she had ever seen a guy in heels but they did not look out of place on me and found my passion for shoes "a little different but very refreshing" (Unlike her boy friend who could not be persuaded to go shoe shopping for love nor money)

I didn’t buy the shoes in the end and we parted company soon after.

As I drove North later in the day I couldn't help but smile to myself as I dwelt on this delightfully open minded woman and her up lifting comments.

On my way home I stopped at Brian and Jean's new house just in time for a barbie and a little too much red wine. While there, Jean proudly showed me a pair of under slung 4" stiletto pumps (by Bronx) she had just bought at Wild Pair for $NZ59. Nice!!

At mid nite I said good bye and continued my trip home feeling contented but rather knackered.

At 2 am I was quietly driving thro a deserted Cable Bay when an unmarked patrol car appeared and pulled me over.

The lone female officer walked up to me stating this stop was for a random breath test and I had to speak my name and address into her analyzer.

"Failed result Sir, please step out of the vehicle"

Bugger..

I got out of my Honda and showed her my licence with thoughts of spending the next 12 hours locked in a dirty police cell with half a dozen members of the local Mongrel Mob chapter...

Bugger..!

I didn't think I had consumed anywhere near enough wine to be over the limit but was very relieved to see the words PASSED on the screen after my second attempt.

Great!!

As I was getting back into my car she thanked me for my cooperation and hoped I enjoyed the rest of my evening. Pausing for a second or two, I saw her demeanour change as she looked me in the eye. She then flashed me a smile and said..

"and I love your boots!"

jim :-?

Ah, the Kiwi's have it sussed :-) Great bunch of people. But you know you shouldn't have been driving in that state, eh? (yeah, that's the only comment you'll get from me :-) ). The Aussie's really know how to make a fantastic Shiraz.

Sounds like a great day overall. When you can be handed a pair of shoes to try on by a lady and also get a positive comment from the local LEO, it's gotta be a good day.

I agree with heelsRus, Sounds like you had a great day with a minor bug in the end that did pass without incident along with a compliment on the boots. I myself wouldn't mind a little help while shoe shopping from the ladies perspective. Hope there are more good trips to be had soon...Jim

Hmmm! Failing a "breatholizer" test here results in the driver going directly to jail (DUI) without passing "GO," severe fine, points assessed against your driving liscense and watching your automobile insurance rates increase like they're tied to the tail of a rocket. You didn't explain what penalties would be assessed. But, I bet, even though the officer liked your boots, the experience will cost you something. :-?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

heelsRus, have you tried Jacob's Creek ??They are located in the Hunters Valley region ( I think)and their wines are fantastic.... :-? Jimnj3,I found the woman’s company very enjoyable. I have not experienced anything quite like that before, still, we were in a shoe store and that’s where people who love shoes go.. :D Went to dinner after going to see Eddie Izzard last year and had a woman in the restaurants house bar want to try on my 5" black suede stiletto boots, she wore them for 20 minutes or so...now that was a bit of fun! Bubba,as far as the traffic stop went....I was not arrested nor charged as I was not DUI. Had I failed the 2nd test I would have had to blow in the bag.If I had failed that test then I would have had blood sample taken back at the station house and charged according to my blood/alcohol level. What could I expect as a result..? Well that depends on the level of booze in the system. Loss of licence, demerit points, hefty fine and possible prison time. The alcohol limit here for drivers is 80 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood. The LTA wants to reduce that down to 50 mills per 100 and that equates to drinking about half a glass of wine. jim