Wearing HH Sandals in Palm Springs

SF

Next week my wife and I will be taking a mini-vacation in Palm Springs. The only shoes I plan on bringing are a few pair of my sandals with 2 - 3 inch heels. I have worn heels out in public before, but always had some flats as a "back up" just in case. This time no flats, only heels - should be fun. If any of you are out there next week and see a guy in heels, it's probably me, so stop and say hello !!!! See ya... SF

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Hi SF, Since you will be wearing sandals, don't forget to get a professional pedicure and wear red nail polish on your toes. It really completes the look. Regards, Jamie :-)

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

I have been there the past two weeks, but haven't worn my 6" stilettos out. The girlfriend wouldn't like it, but she did ask why I wasn't wearing them one day around the condo. People are outside much of the time, so no guts.

BobHH:-) If you really wore those shoes out in public in Palm Springs, I sure would like to know what the reaction of the people on the public streets were to that look. Did you get any looks or did anyone question you about you shoes? Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Uhhh... Is anyone else getting "The Emperor's New Clothes" Sensation, or is it just me? Although I have no qualms about people crossing gender lines with respect to fashion, I still object on the grounds of aesthetics when either (note - both sexes, or neither) appears out of context with his/her background. A man wearing a bra. What is that? A woman wearing a jockstrap. What is that? Design follows form, people, and that often means function. There's nothing against a guy wearing heels and a skirt, provided it's enhancing their form, and not detracting from it. Probably going to get flamed for this post, so (ouch!) bring it on...

Why would you get "flamed'? I believe that, as firefox pointed out on more than one occasion in these pages, anyone can wear anything if they do it in good taste. I don't believe a man wearing a bra under a dress shirt (unless he has the breasts to go along with it) is good taste. And, a woman in a jock strap? If she has her clothes on, how would anyone know? If she does't then people would call it a "Thong....."

So, gene.....you're right when you say

There's nothing against a guy wearing heels and a skirt, provided it's enhancing their form, and not detracting from it.

(however, no matter what some guys and gals wear, they never look presentable)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi Guys, Well... I won't be wearing a bra, and my wife won't be wearing a jockstrap!! ha ha We leave on Sunday and I will be taking about 5 pairs of hh sandals to wear. All have 2 - 3 inch heels (none as high as your stilleto's BobHH - but I do like those). I go as a guy, wearing loose denim or cargo style pants with loose cotton shirt. Can't wait, I hope the weather is nice !! SF

Hey SF, Pictures ----- gota have pictures. Take a couple and let us see how you look and tell of of any reaction you might generate. :roll:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

...however, know matter what some guys and gals wear, they never look presentable...

Guys and gals alike, you're right.

Having said that, some guys would look perfectly fetching in a gingham dress!

Most would not.

Then again, is my sense of style conditioned with respect to societal standards?

To some extent, I would have to say that's true.

On the other hand, after exhaustive (and I do mean exhausting) reviews of style throughout both the ages and our world's geographic regions, I think I've identified some components of style which are universally male and others which are universally female:

Male:

1. Wide

2. Thick

3. Tough

Female

1. Thin

2. Slender

3. Dainty

This has been pretty much true throught history.

Why?

Because these characteristics accentuate the human form as it's shaped by hormones.

But that's not the only reason...

The other reason is that mating rituals across the continents and ages have always favored those who epitomize the qualities I listed above.

That's why the ubiquitous Elle poster kept saying, "Not MY man!!!"

Alas, she and others like her are caught in a stereotypical which dates back to centuries ago.

Fortunately, centuries ago, mankind began expanding the realm of fashion beyond centuries ago, so that it's no longer stuck in the dark ages, and the concept of a man wearing heels, throughout the world, isn't so repulsive to the masses that a guy can't walk down the street in any major city of the world without having to worry about anything more than a minor snicker from a few of the passersby.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is progress.

I don't think I understood Gene's first posting. I am a believer in form and function compatibility, and many good looking designs are functional and vice versa. High heels are not very functional as footwear for walking, working, protection, etc. But, the right ones do have a nice form, and they are stimulating to see and wear. As far as them not looking right on a man, if that is what was meant, fashion is largely what we are used to. Except girls seem to be able to get away with anything - I guess because they are cute and they are not expected to be drab or conforming, necessarily. Do the high stiletto slides not go on a man? They are certainly unusual and not very functional, but I and my girlfriend think they are sexy. Hairy legs, too? Maybe not, but I have no plans to shave and she agrees, so far. As far as wearing them out, it was just around the patio, which is public enough for anyone walking nearby, which they do. I pay no attention. The nail polish was chrome, and went to the gym and showers and pool with no problems, as was also the case to the beach previously. I also wear the shoes around home, including outside. Don't know whether I have been seen, but I don't care. I continue to marvel at the shoe sale ads, for Macy's for example. All the men's shoes are brown or black, not very attractive. The women's shoes are all different colors, heel heights, styles. What a downer! Got to break out of this rut! Recent articles on high school proms and prom pictures showed legs and feet of posing couples. Guys in long pants and laborer's shoes, girls in bare feet and high-heeled sandals. Except one picture showed the guy in a skirt, but still men's shoes. Reminds me of an old cartoon showing a man holding his tie and saying: "If men run the world, how did we rope ourselves into these things?"

UPDATE -- WE"RE BACK..... Well we got back from Palm Springs on Saturday. We had a great time. Wore hh sandals the entire time except when around the pool. Wore heels to dinner and shopping both day and night. Never had a problem and nobody even seemed to care or notice. I took 4 pairs of heels, strappy thongs with a 2 1/2 inch block heel, slingback thongs with a 3 in blade heel, a pair of slides with a 2 inch square heel, and a pair of wedgie espadrilles. The wife wore her heels, some of them matched mine, and we had a great time. We spent a lot of time walking around the downtown area shopping. Bottom line, it's time for more of you guys to get out in heels. It really is not that big of a deal. This was the second time I have been so bold while on vacation (the first time was last October). I was a bit nervous at first but that went away quickly once I realized that it was no big deal to anyone. Can't wait to do it again !!!! SF

And somebody asked earlier if I could post pictures. I would love to, but my low-tech computer won't let me. Someday when I go hi-tech I will post some pics. Sorry... SF

SF:-) It sure sounds like you and your wife had a great time in Palm Springs. Since your wife sometimes matches her heels to yours when out and about then she must be O.K. with what type and style of shoes you want to wear. You mentioned that one of the pairs of shoes you took with you were Espadrilles. That is a style of shoe I never cared for, not even on women. Just my opinion for whatever it is worth. If you like the style and feel of Espadrilles on your feet, by all means wear them and enjoy them. They are just not my style. Cheers--- Dawn HH

• 4 weeks later...

BobHH: those slides you were wearing in Palm Springs, are those the heels that are round or do they have that flat edge on the inside/front? they look pretty fab either way. also enjoyed your ideas.

And somebody asked earlier if I could post pictures. I would love to, but my low-tech computer won't let me. Someday when I go hi-tech I will post some pics. Sorry... SF

If you have a computer that's equivalent to an Amiga, Atari, IBM PC, Macintosh, or later, there's a way to get pics into your computer and through the Internet to the server.

Let me know what kind of computer you have and I'll walk you through the steps (non-Mac - I never worked on a Mac).

I am a believer in form and function compatibility, and many good looking designs are functional and vice versa. High heels are not very functional as footwear for walking, working, protection, etc. But, the right ones do have a nice form, and they are stimulating to see and wear.

I agree!

As far as them not looking right on a man, if that is what was meant, fashion is largely what we are used to.

Again - I agree. When I first began wearing heels, even my 3-inch chunk heeled shoes looked a little different. My 4" boots (avatar, left) looked, well, like I was a guy wearing girls shoes, a fact echoed by my wife, who was at first a little leery about my wearing any heels in public.

Having worn heels now for about three years, however, they look perfectly normal on me, and my wife says the same thing.

Except girls seem to be able to get away with anything - I guess because they are cute and they are not expected to be drab or conforming, necessarily.

Not at first, they couldn't. Clothing styles changed very slowly throughout much of history. Most change occurred when cultures clashed, as in widespread migrations or explorations. Sometimes it was precipitated by a change in a country's leadership.

In America, the 1920s saw the first real change in fashion that was contrary to what the country was willing to accept as a whole. This occurred during the era of the flapper, an urban class of young women who were well off and not particular well-raised. In short, they were rebellious. For the first time we saw ankles, calves, and knees - and it was an outrage! It was so different that what people were used to that cities and even businesses passed clothing ordinances.

The depression era saw a return to modesty, but the skirts were up, and clothing saw major changes again immediately after WWII, and again in the late 60's to early 70s. Since then, it's been evenly paced.

But up until the 70's, however, each change has created significant resistance. Only now are we beginning to accept the idea that change is inevitable. Only since the mid-90s has most of our global society begun to embrace the concept of diversity, rather than conformity, and look forward to major changes each year in fashion rather than small ones.

As for whether or not high heels look sexy on a man, I'd have to defer that to my better half (who just shrugged her shoulders). I do try to wear heels that fit in well with the rest of my look, part of which is, of course, that I'm a man, so that they add to, rather than detract from, my overall appearance.

Recent articles on high school proms and prom pictures showed legs and feet of posing couples. Guys in long pants and laborer's shoes, girls in bare feet and high-heeled sandals. Except one picture showed the guy in a skirt, but still men's shoes.

Comments: The platform slides I wore in the picture do have the flat-front heel, but the heels are slightly higher and the construction is different from the usual Sunset Strip shoes. They were a special order in size 13 USW, as they usually come up to 12. The matte finish is more comfortable than the usual clear slides, though I have plenty of those. I have just finished looking at slides that the BW's (deceased Beautiful Wife) mother took of her from age 6 through 23. Girls are raised with colorful clothes, makeup, etc., and look to emulate older role models with clothes, shoes, etc. They are raised to look attractive and fashionable, whereas few boys have a real sense of fashion. Baggy shorts and baggy pants dragging on the ground are not attractive. Girls look forward to makeup, nail polish, jewelry, and looking sexy/attractive, for the most part. Boys, on the other hand, are supposed to be strong and not be interested in those things. (Advert: "Real men don't exfoliate. Real men don't know what exfoliation means.") Things do change a little bit, but slowly. Men wearing earrings are more common, and even toe rings are now acceptable. Nail polish and makeup are still rare, but probably not as rare as high heels in public.

BobHH:-) I, for one, street-heel as much as possible. Yesterday, 6/28, was Mickey68's and my 36th wedding anniversary and since I was working, we decided to celebrate today, 6/29 and I wore my heeled boots all day. We first went into town and spent an hour riding on a 1945 Army Duck that belongs to the "Just Ducky Tours". After we toured the streets and town buildings, we then went swimming in the rivers for about half an hour, in the Duck. It was then time for lunch which we ate in a restored passenger station, built in 1900 and turned into a restaurant in 1978. This building was originally built by the P&LE Railroad and has been restored completely back to original condition using as much of the original seating and lighting as possible. It still has all of the original marble floors and columns and all of the original stained glass even in the canopy in the main concourse. After having a delicious dinner there, we took in a good movie to top the day off. I try to do my part in showing the public a man in heels as much as I can. When we were climbing to stairs at the back of the Duck, I had my wife's purse and a green tote bag over my right shoulder and the girl assistant to the driver remarked, "The bags match your shoes". I guess I sure couldn't hide my heels climbing those stairs and she must have noticed them. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Out In Heels Again..... Last Satruday the wife and I went to Pacific Grove. We spent the late afternoon and early evening there, had dinner then went to the wharf in Monterey. She wore some sexy top loop slides, and I wore pair of Steve Madden wedgies (Drill was the style - for you purists!!). While walking around PG, shopping at the wharf and while at the restaurant, no one ever seemed to notice our (my) heels. Last Monday, the wife was working and I went out solo to run errands in my hh thong slingbacks from Newport News. Went to the bank, a Hallmark store, the Post Office, all without any problems or comment. At the bank, a female clerk was on the phone as I walked by her - twice - she looked at my sandals, and gave me a big smile. I took her smile as a sign of encouragement rather that laughing at me. I felt that had she not been on the phone, she would have given me a compliment on my shoes. All you timid guys out there, it's summertime, get out in your heels, it ain't that bad !!! Plus it's FUN!!!! SF

SF:-) I see that you buy your shoes from New-port News. I have bought several pairs of my knee-boots from there also. I find that their sizes are true to size and they fit me right out of the box perfectly and are quite comfortable and easy to break in. What size are you and do you find this true for you also? Cheers--- Dawn HH

Comments:

Things do change a little bit, but slowly. Men wearing earrings are more common, and even toe rings are now acceptable. Nail polish and makeup are still rare, but probably not as rare as high heels in public.

Yet real, well-paying, men are getting "makeovers" in droves, and manicures like they're going out of style.

What's up with that? Is it merely an atempt at one-upmanship? Or does this drive itself squarely into the "Masculine Attempt At Fashion" effort?

If so, it fails, miserably.

Men need to spend FAR less time reading GC and far more time reading the various alternative men's fashion websites.

Change is good!

For growth, for business, and for a brighter future.

Stagnation always results in death.

Good luck!

Gene'