Places I Don't Like To Go

blueparrot

I've been in Arizona over a year now.  In the Phoenix area I spend most of my time in Scottsdale but work in Tempe.  Most places around here are very cool about whatever I decide to wear.  There are two areas I don't like going unless I dress down and wear sneakers.  One is downtown Tempe, near ASU.  The students there are often intoxicated and are all trained as fashion police.  I have been harassed there a dozen times and don't enjoy being in that area.  The other place, far worse, is down south in Chandler.  That town is the most biggotted, closed minded community I've ever encountered.  I can't go down there on my motorcycle, wearing flat heeled riding boots, leather motorcycle jacket, and carrying a full face helmet without being the laughing stock of every kid in the mall.  The store clerks are also quite rude to me.  Last night I needed to go to the Apple store, I had phone problems and was down near US 60 in Tempe so I went to Chandler because it was closer than Biltmore or North Scottsdale stores.  There were some young clerks who worked in one of the other stores and were on break.  They harassed me pretty bad, then went into the employee passage back to their store.  I didn't get the store name from their tags but it was highly uncalled for.  I have not worn any of my higher heel boots there because the result would likely be even worse. 

I don't understand this.  I can walk all over Scottsdale, downtown, Scottsdale Fashion Square, go over to Phoenix to Biltmore (Macy's there are very nice to me when buying boots), and the year before in Boulder I had no problems.  I expect there are some people who don't like me wearing the boots I have but I get dozens of compliments each week from those who do.  Most people don't even seem to care. It seems strange that there would be such a difference in a large metropolitan area like this one.  I don't know what it's like over on the west side, I don't go over to Glendale, Buckeye, Peoria, etc. 

I live in Gilbert and have no problems. Same with Scottsdale and downtown Phoenix. One especially drunk evening the Mrs and I wound up in Babes Cabaret in South Scottsdale and the dancers loved it. They hung out with us even when we we're done spending money. Not to paint the wrong picture as we do not do that frequently. Glad to hear of another guy in heels in Phoenix other than KFSteve and me. Perhaps we should get coffee sometime. Best, Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

those are what I'd call "hick towns" & they sure as anything dont how to deal with " :irked::roll: outsiders" as it were-sounds like they are stuck in a very backwards mentality.

I wouldn't really call those areas hick towns. When I hear the term I think of backwoods, overalls, and dirty faces. They are suburbs of a major metropolitan city. I am actually kind of surprised to read about the reactions he's receiving. At least in Chandler. I'm not surprised about downtown Tempe. It is a college town with a ton of little dumb asses, to use a Red Forman term. During the day you find beautiful business women often wearing the best shoes but by afternoon and evening there are a lot of immature kids and meth heads that we we refer to as Mill rats (it's on Mill ave.) Best, Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Mill Ave. is just where I've been acosted.  I'm glad ASU finally banned that horrible frat that threw bricks at the firemen from the balconies.  I think they are just the type who got in my face over my shoes, saw greek letters on their shirts.  What's ironic is all of mine are chunky heels, not very fem looking at all, 4" doesn't look 4" on them.  Most of the trouble in Chandler is at the mall and involves teenagers or college types.  They are at that age where they think everybody must wear a uniform and look alike.  Still it makes me feel unwelcome down there so I probebly won't go there much unless I have to.  Even on a motorcycle I'm not allowed to wear even flat boots.

Often in these types of discussions my viewpoint is considered to be that of the ' bad guy '. Im just speaking of what I have learned in my encounters and jaunts/adventures/kicking's or whatever they can be called..

BlueParrot :

" I have been harassed there a dozen times and don't enjoy being in that area.  "

There are places I just dont go to at all. Its not because of what Im wearing, its because I dont like the place nor the attitudes of the residents in general. Most would apply certain ' names ' or stereotypes to the places but I just say they ' arent for me ' and leave it at that.

"The other place, far worse, is down south in Chandler.  That town is the most biggotted, closed minded community I've ever encountered. "

The same ' stereotypical ' terms can be applied to YOU, ME, some of my family members and their friends.. It does no good to spreading the hate. Just as we might feel others are ' closed minded ' in return we might be so ' open minded ' that it left a hole in our heads and our brains fell right out.

The luxury of having our freedoms is that others have theirs as well. If someone doesnt like me wearing what I wear and makes a derogatory comment, thats for them to do. If *I* dont like it, I know enough to stay away. Some would say ' well they shouldnt say.. ' why shouldnt they? I would rather someone state how they feel, negative comments or good ones ' then to smile to my face and lie about it.

Attitudes in some places I have been are quite shocking. Shocking as in they ' werent what I would expect '. I now live in a small country town. I used to live in a larger city. Most would say that wearing heels in a small town would be a bad thing but the people out here are more friendly, courteous and better mannered then those in the city. There arent pack-rat mentalities kids running around ' out here '.

"I can't go down there on my motorcycle, wearing flat heeled riding boots, leather motorcycle jacket, and carrying a full face helmet without being the laughing stock of every kid in the mall.  The store clerks are also quite rude to me. "

I've actually walked out on a gig 15 minutes before we were supposed to play at a rather large place. Was a rather large club and some of the patrons didnt like our vocalist. Some of the comments and even the provoking towards their fellow patrons was happening and we ( as a band ) decided to say ' not worth it. Too much equipment to harm and this place probably wont cover the damages  '.

There are instances where ' acceptance ' does NOT have to happen. Does it suck that we cant go to some places without being ridiculed? Sure does! But its sometimes in the best interests to just strut away in that fine footware then to have an incident of any kind.

AZShoeNut:

" I am actually kind of surprised to read about the reactions he's receiving."

In not surprised at all. Buffalo, NY, has a LOT of University/Colleges in its area. On the weekends, I knew to stay out of the Downtown area and some of the other places ( Dennys, Malls.. ) as those ' academia ' individuals would love to drink and start problems. The problems werent because of what I wore, but more my statute. Being quite slender ( at the time ) and the ' pack rat ' mentality of the groupies, they often felt brave. The whole ' socialization process ' and needing to fit in outweighs Academic values of most of the ' universities ' in the U.S. right now.

To leave out all the details, on more then one occasion I had to open my coat and let the ' kids ' see my friend ' Sam ' sitting in his leather coat before they realized how much of a pack of assholes they were being. Only then were they apologetic and realizing that sometimes trying to be the ' cool guy ' wasnt the appropriate thing to do. What makes it even worse is some of the mouths and attitudes of the ' girls '.

From my travels, and contrary to whats published, Ive found small ' ass backwards ' or ' hick towns ' to be more courteous and accepting of what I wear and my beliefs then most of the ' city ' areas. Those rednecks/hicks/ass-backwards country folks will be the first to give the shirt off their back and help someone out. City folks? They would rather drive on by and leave someone laying there the get hit with a lawsuit for helping out. The term ' rubbernecking ' comes to mind.. people see an accident and drive by, really slow, taking a good look at it.. then go about their way.. Heaven forbid it might be good to stop and see if people are ' ok ' or maybe need to use a cell phone to call emergency services..

What Ive also learned is that an area has ' all kinds '. Theres those of that Campus Mentality all over. Theres those of '; small town ' everywhere. One area isnt limited to just ' good ' nor ' bad '. TRUE ' Diversity ' happens all over. ' Diversity ' isnt a term limited to ethnic or color of ones skin. ;)

DemoniaPlatforms :

"those are what I'd call "hick towns" & they sure as anything dont how to deal with "  :irked:  :roll: outsiders" as it were-sounds like they are stuck in a very backwards mentality."

Maybe you and I are of the ' backwards mentality '? Should we be under the belief that everyone HAS to accept us when clearly such isnt true? Its absolutely PATHETIC that some would judge others by the clothes they wear. Imagine if Albert Einstein wasnt allowed to work on the Manhatten Project because he wore womens shoes? The Atom Bomb and Nuclear physics wouldnt be where they are today.

There will ALWAYS be some whom dont accept something. Be it something that has lawfully been implemented or if its just a ' social justice ' idiocy. There is absolutely NOTHING that can be done about it outside of concentration/re-education camps. *I* wouldnt have such and have realize that its NOT wrong to say theres some areas I just dont belong. Let others enjoy theres and I'll go elsewhere.

As BlueParrot originally said : "I've been in Arizona over a year now.  In the Phoenix area I spend most of my time in Scottsdale but work in Tempe.  Most places around here are very cool about whatever I decide to wear.  There are two areas I don't like going unless I dress down and wear sneakers.".. he can go all over outside of a couple of places. Thats progress in my reflection. 10 years ago he might have had bricks tossed at him in some of those areas where he now enjoys going to. :D

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

well now ilikekicks, that was a "mouthful" if you dont mind the term :fine::cool:  but I like your format in answering this, I do understand where you are coming from too. cheers :rocker:

You guys are making me feel special, like I live in heel wearing paradise. We Mainers do have a reputation for being a very laid back bunch and it seems you are proving it.

I pretty much go wherever I please with few to no issues. Everybody seems to know me, even if I don't know them.

In 9 years, I can count the a-holes on one hand. All teenagers.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I wouldn't really call those areas hick towns. When I hear the term I think of backwoods, overalls, and dirty faces. They are suburbs of a major metropolitan city. I am actually kind of surprised to read about the reactions he's receiving. At least in Chandler. I'm not surprised about downtown Tempe. It is a college town with a ton of little dumb asses, to use a Red Forman term. During the day you find beautiful business women often wearing the best shoes but by afternoon and evening there are a lot of immature kids and meth heads that we we refer to as Mill rats (it's on Mill ave.) Best, Larry

I live near, and work in a Hick Town. Your description is pretty good - - - and NO - I won't wear heels into town.