Heeling With Your Kid? Yes Or No?

Rockbass19

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to go out in heels with your toddler?

• Yes
    • No

I'm planning on making a trip to my local mall today for a couple things, and want to rock out some heels (not stilletto - not brave enough for that yet - this will only be my second time out wearing heels, if I do it) under my jeans. I have a pair of "biker boots" with a 2 inch block heel which look great and don't really come off as women's boots unless you look real closely. These are the boots I wore my first time out heeling (see "New Member's Heeling Story"). I WANT to wear my new faux-suede ankle boots with the 3 inch chunky heel - they do look like women's (has a slightly pointy toe) but I like the look that it creates, especially for an aspiring "rock star" like myself.

The problem is that I'll have my little 2 1/2 year old daughter with me, and I'm not sure if it's "morally correct" to go out in public wearing heels with your kid.

So, just looking for opinions - should I stick with the guy shoes for this trip, for the sake of my kid? Or should I be true to myself?

I have adult daughters and have worn women's shoes since I was a teen. As the kids grew up, I was always wearing women's shoes in their presence without comment, it was just what I did. I would wear both flats and heels. The heels I wore when they were around were wedgies or chunky heels that were not real high (no stilettos or shoes that were particularly feminine). Overall it was not really a big deal. Just this last weekend I was visiting one of the kids and wore clogs with a 2 inch heel and the wedge thongs pictured in my avatar. I guess it just depends on your level of comfort and your own family dynamics. Fortunately for me (us) my wife supports me in my heeling, which makes things much easier. Obviously there is no real "correct" answer. Good luck on finding yours... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Rockbass, I think there's no problem wearing either of the boots you describe. Boots on guys, even boots with thinner (but not stiletto) heels, don't get much notice, in my experience. If you don't make a big deal of it, neither will anyone else. The main thing you need to watch for is your daughter's friends, especially as she grows up. You don't want them to tease your daughter about her father's high heels. Kids can be cruel. But if you keep it to boots, clogs, loafers, and sandals that don't look too femme, you'll be fine. Steve

I think that once you have established yourself in whatever type of footwear you choose to wear (even stilettos), it's pretty much irrelevant. It is important to establish yourself first so that it is no big deal. By establishing yourself, I mean that most people that you interact with know about your footwear choice.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I think what you'll find as time goes by is that, depending on your level of fanaticism about heel wearing, heels will just become the new normal. When I go someplace with my 4 year old son, which is pretty much daily, he is very reluctant to let me leave the house in flatties. To more directly answer the question, I think it's a complete non-issue.

Rockbass, I think there's no problem wearing either of the boots you describe. Boots on guys, even boots with thinner (but not stiletto) heels, don't get much notice, in my experience. If you don't make a big deal of it, neither will anyone else.

The main thing you need to watch for is your daughter's friends, especially as she grows up. You don't want them to tease your daughter about her father's high heels. Kids can be cruel. But if you keep it to boots, clogs, loafers, and sandals that don't look too femme, you'll be fine.

Steve

Where the hell is the 'like' button?!!

Mike

My daughter has grown up with although I don't flaunt it in front of her, IE, I Still try to keep them "hidden". So yes, I wear heels all the time. Mind you, nothing Like pumps. Still pretty conservative.

My kids are teens now and have known about my heels for about a year (maybe more, I don't know what the ex-wife has told them). I wear them out everywhere with them and as far as I know it is a non-issue for them. My daughter has pointed out that I wear heels to her friends on more than one occasion. Fortunately her feet are smaller or I wouldn't many shoes left. lol As to the OP, if you don't feel comfortable going out in the 3in boots and feel 'safer' in the 2in boots, go with the 2in. It took me a couple of months before I started going out in my stiletos. Nikki

Right now, it is hard to project what heel fashions men will have in a few years, especially if more of us are actively open about wearing stilettos. As for children, it is the parent or guardian who must teach them correct principles, and have a listening ear to their concerns to help guide them through their trials and goals. Wearing heels, even stilettos, is not an act of moral decay and to continue associating it in that light is also wrong. I know habits and attitudes are hard to change once they are ingrained, for I suffer from this very affliction. Heels are a choice of footwear for who ever has the desires to select them for their appearance. The world will not change on its own for it has too many people who are scared or uncomfortable of anything out of the norm for the way things are. Even innovator have to work at selling or convincing any out of the box concepts are better than the norm. So if male heeling is going to become common in public circles, those of us with such feelings and passions have to do our part in promoting male heeling, because society needs to become aware men do have desires to improve their appearance and the wearing of heels is part of the personality they have developed by their individuality. What ever the male heeling status will achieve, children should be taught the truth so they can learn to make the best decisions for themselves and so they can have understanding for others who may choose differently. That is how relationships are suppose to happen.

What ever the male heeling status will achieve, children should be taught the truth so they can learn to make the best decisions for themselves and so they can have understanding for others who may choose differently. That is how relationships are suppose to happen.

The truth is largely based on perception. Your truth may be different from my truth. We measure truth differently and compare it to different standards. Truth may have an element of faith in it, too, such as religion.

What we must teach is not truth, but tolerance. We must teach children to accept others' dress and not make fun of it or belittle it. We are not all conformists, but we all want respect.

Steve

The truth is largely based on perception. Your truth may be different from my truth. We measure truth differently and compare it to different standards. Truth may have an element of faith in it, too, such as religion.

What we must teach is not truth, but tolerance. We must teach children to accept others' dress and not make fun of it or belittle it. We are not all conformists, but we all want respect.

Steve

If we don't teach even our version of truth so that they will have some foundation, they will be like falling leaves in the wind carried about and relying on any theory that is prominent. Once they have a basis to build upon, then all the other principles, like respect, tolerance, and love can be brought in to enhance their understanding of other concepts and theories. Then they can use their reasoning to discern the bigger picture of the actual truths.