Shoedinmag Interview Thread

Shafted

Created thread for you.

Hello everyone!

For some reason I can't start a new topic, so I hope we can get some good feedback here for a great article. Some of the following questions have already been answered, but feel free to tell me more. Please let me know what number you are answering as well. Feel free to include more if you don't see a question you want to answer here. I am looking forward to putting together this article.

• What first attracted you to high heels?

• When did you first wear a pair?

• How do you feel when you wear heels?

• Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons?

• Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not?

• Men in relationships, are your partners supportive?

• What's been your best heel wearing experience? Your worst?

• What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take?

• Do you personally know other men who wear heels?

• Tell us anything else that might be useful for an insightful article about men wearing heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

ShoedINmag,

• What first attracted you to high heels? I knew when I was 10 that I also identified nearly equally with my feminine side and heels were just part of that.
  • When did you first wear a pair? In 1971 when my mom's heels could easily fit me!
  • How do you feel when you wear heels? I feel comfortable, empowered, and complete.
  • Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons? I love the Jessica Simpson brand with their great styles and colors. I enjoy shopping at DSW, Macy's, Steve Madden, and Nordstrrom Rack. Loved shopping at Bakers but they are now bankrupt. The reasons were superior customer service and a sense that I was valued as a human being and as a customer.
  • Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not? Yes, I wear heels in public rather often now both in stilettoes, chunky heels, or wedge heels. The reasons are the same as in #3. For the men who have pondered the idea I will only say that they will wonder why they waited so long. It's just footwear on YOUR body.
  • Men in relationships, are your partners supportive? Yes, my wife has known along. She may never go "heeling" with me as she is shy but has been supportive.
  • What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take?
  • Tell us anything else that might be useful for an insightful article about men wearing heels.

• What first attracted you to high heels? I don't know, really. Hosiery was the first thing I ever tried on, and heels seemed like a logical next step. First time I put my feet in some heels I was aboslutely hooked.
  • When did you first wear a pair? I was probably 10-11, my Moms shoes fit me, but not for long.
  • How do you feel when you wear heels? About 4" taller. lol. For some reason I feel more confident, and it's not a height thing, because I start out at 6'5"
  • Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons? Payless for sure. They have 13W, the associates are always happy to help, their prices are reasonable.
  • Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not? Yes, quite a few times. The best was a week long trip where I didn't bring any mens shoes. Forced me into it I suppose.
  • Men in relationships, are your partners supportive? Yes. She's not thrilled about it, but doesn't mind either. I've got an awesome wife, and I make sure she knows it.
  • What's been your best heel wearing experience? Your worst? Best was the week without mens shoes. The worst was the first time I tried going DOWN stairs.
  • What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take? I don't think society gives a damn. I think we're the ones that do. Fashion freedom is already here if you choose to embrace it.
  • Do you personally know other men who wear heels? Yeah, a couple!
  • Tell us anything else that might be useful for an insightful article about men wearing heels. They're my feet, I'll wear what I want on them. Life is short, high heels aren't!

Mike

• What first attracted you to high heels? It is something I was evidently born with. I can't remember a time when I didn't like high heels. I'm sure the first time I saw Judy Garland wear the ruby slippers in "The Wizard of Oz," I thought to myself, "Those are pretty, but the heels are kind of low, aren't they?"
  • When did you first wear a pair? I can't say for sure, but I know I wore some in high school (mid 1980s), when I was about 16. Some graduating senior girl had left behind her previous year's show choir shoes in the music room, and, being as nobody seemed to want them, I took them home. Happily, they just happened to be my size. They were barely more than kitten heels, at 2.5". I kept them for a number of years, and would occasionally wear them in secret.
  • How do you feel when you wear heels? I feel ten feet tall and bulletproof when I feel like I'm walking well. When I'm clumsy, I feel very self conscious. For context, I'm 5'6" in bare feet, and I have never once minded being short. In fact, I sometimes feel awkward being much taller in my highest shoes. It's not about the height at all for me.
  • Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons? In the beginning of my modern heeling era, my brand of choice was Sofft. They make a number of clog-style shoes that are somewhat androgynous, and they fit me well. As I became more confident, I pretty much abandoned this brand because the maximum heel height they offer is 3.5", and I like to wear taller heels these days. I favor Nine West mostly, because they are reasonably priced, have a high quality look, and have a wide selection of styles. I will have to put in a word for Sbicca also. I have 6 pair of Sbiccas, and they are probably my favorite shoes as far as everyday wearability. You can literally walk several miles in their 4.5" heels without a problem. Sbicca's style in general tends to be a little bit on the funky side for me, but the few select shoes I own, I love to death. Plus, they're actually made in the USA! Can't beat that with a stick. I've only bought shoes from a retail store on a couple of occasions, so I can't comment much on that. I had a good experience at Kohl's discount department store.
  • Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not? I am a relatively new public heeler. I've been wearing truly "high" heels in public since the summer of 2012. I finally just decided that I'm going to wear what I like. I took the gradual approach and started wearing clog-type shoes with increasingly higher heels, until it got to the point where I could only say, "Yes, I'm wearing heels. I like them."
  • Men in relationships, are your partners supportive? Yes, my wife is supportive, but only up to a point. There are certain situations where she really does not want me to wear heels, and I accept that.
  • What's been your best heel wearing experience? Your worst? My best experience has been when I visited a large shopping mall for the purpose of having my mobile phone repaired. I got there early, right at opening time, and a worker at a jewelry store in the mall was outside having a cigarette before work. As I approached the entrance of the mall, she commented on my shoes, saying something like, "There is NO WAY I could walk in those." I stopped and talked with her a while, then went about my business. So far, I haven't had a worst experience. I hope it stays that way.
  • What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take? [question 1]: Naturally, people think it's a little strange, but I really think most people don't care. My personal experience has been that if I keep the heel height under 3.5" and it's a subtantially thick heel, people don't notice, or don't say anything. If I go up to 4.5 or 5", with a thinner heel, that gets a whole lot more attention. I do think it's easier for me now than it would have been 20 years ago, or even 10 years ago. [question 2]: I wish I could wear even more "feminine" styles of footwear without drawing peoples' undue attention. So far, I've stuck to clogs and booties and/or boots. With summer approaching, I would like to wear sandals. That's a little tougher for guys. We'll see how that goes. I already have several pairs of sandals. Some of them I think I can get away with, some of them are perhaps too outrageous for a guy. [question 3]: I don't think society will ever accept a man in heels unconditionally. There's too much history for that.
  • Do you personally know other men who wear heels? Alas, no.
  • Tell us anything else that might be useful for an insightful article about men wearing heels. We are normal people. We work, we play, we have families, we pay taxes just like everyone else. It just so happens that we prefer to wear shoes which elevate our heels.

• What first attracted you to high heels? Hard to say, they were sleek, shiny, sexy, forbidden....
  • When did you first wear a pair? adolescence, some 40 years ago.
  • How do you feel when you wear heels? Adventurous might be a good sum up, since it is a combination of empowerment and miscreance or rebellion
  • Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons? For years it was the sexiest highest shoe that fit, now that I'm more public, I'm looking more at androgynous acceptible styles
  • Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not? I spent decades trying to not be seen, for fear of being labelled a kook. A few years back I passed a threshold where I stopped caring what a stranger thought and wore what I wanted, but only when i was far enough away from home. More recently I've been wearing androgynous shoes among friends and family. Both of these transitions have led, after an initial adjustment period, to reduced stress and more comfort and confidence in being who I am, and that includes more confidence in many other areas of life.
  • Men in relationships, are your partners supportive? I discussed it with my wife before we were married, but as a "hidden sin", "fetish", whatever. She has made some attempts over the years to accommodate my altocalciphilia in sexual foreplay, but as to me wearing heels, she probably knows I do but wants no part. Sort of like the military's "Don't ask, don't tell" policy
  • What's been your best heel wearing experience? Your worst? So many of each over the years. By far the most socially and psychologically rewarding are the positive interactions with women who are fully accepting and appreciative. I'm fairly shy and quiet, and it has been quite surprising how many casual conversations pop up with female strangers. Something about your full weight on a 4" stiletto heel that punches holes in social barriers. No doubt it erects others.
  • What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take? There is an automatic assumption that you're gay. I'm hopelessy straight and I suspect the gay/straight ratio here is little different than in the general population. Gender assignment of clothes needs to go away. Females can wear anything, why can't males?.
  • Do you personally know other men who wear heels? Only online. How could we know each other if we're all closetted, as I was for so long?

• What first attracted you to high heels?

An aspirational sense of empowerment and desirability, and escapism from an unhappy school life.

• When did you first wear a pair?

When I was 6 years old, I used to secretly try my mum's heels on when I'd come home from school.

• How do you feel when you wear heels?

Back when I was a kid it was delightful anticipation followed by guilt. These days it's an uplifting sense of personal expression and self-respect taking a pride in my appearance.

• Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons?

Favourite brands have varied over the years because the appeal of their styles comes and goes in waves. Favourite stores are those with nice styles but more importantly good and friendly customer service.

• Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not?

I never used to because I felt ashamed. Now I do because I feel it's important not to be ashamed, and to challenge gender prejudice.

• Men in relationships, are your partners supportive?

Not applicable, but it always used to feel like a "heels or relationship" ultimatum, it's only recently I've started to believe that the elusive "supportive partner" can actually exist (and also the importance of being a supportive partner too).

The best is whenever I've exchanged smiles with a stranger. The worst is when I've worn heels in inappropriate situations (like travelling home late at night) and felt like I've compromised my personal safety (I've learnt to change into flats now).

Society is far more accepting than we make it out to be in our minds. I wish people wouldn't assume that a guy in heels is somehow degrading, humiliating or less of a man. It'll take as long as it takes for femininity to be equally respected and valued with masculinity (so years if not decades).

Not personally, only through HHPlace.

That we shouldn't generalise about men in heels any more than we should generalise about women in heels. We all wear them for different reasons but it's a reminder to respect individual expression and not assume stereotypes.

Thanks for taking an interest in this phenomenon Shoedinmag.

If you like it, wear it.

• What first attracted you to high heels? - Not sure really. I just remember seeing some one day and thinking "wow! I need to get into them!" When I was about 16 I used to "borrow" some from a friends mum who kept her shoes in an unlocked porch at the front of their house.
  • When did you first wear a pair? - I think when I was about 16 but it's hard to gauge because I never bought pair until about the age of 20 and even then they were a bit too small. Before that, I'd get a pair that were too small, cut open the toe box and then tape them up again with my foot in them so that they fit!
  • How do you feel when you wear heels? - A hard thing for me to desribe but I'd say I felt like I am supposed to be wearing them!
  • Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons? - It changes. I used to love Barratts shoes because they made quality heels, great styles at very reasonable prices. Not any more although they turn up on ebay now and again. Long Tall Sally do some great shoes that are very comfortable and well fitting but no so high.
  • Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not? - Not yet. Still not got the courage but it's coming!
  • Men in relationships, are your partners supportive? - n/a
  • What's been your best heel wearing experience? Your worst? - At the moment, the best heeling experience is simply feeling comfortable in them and not feeling like a wierdo. I'm not a public heeler yet but I am still plagued by feelings of guilt and shame but these are getting much less so just having that content feeling is the best. As for the worst, getting pulled over (not arrested but questioned about what I was up to) by the police at 3am taking a walk in heels whilst "heavily refreshed" - that was pretty rubbish. I have always protected myself against bad experiences but not going out in public during the day but I hope to change that.
  • What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take? - People are always suspicious of anything out of the norm. I know people who dress in a bit more of an "eccentric" style and they get grief too. I always have respect for anyone who dresses in unusual ways probably because of my own desires to wear heels publicly. There's is a desire amongst the masses to fit in and be part of the gang and also to be "cool" and wear all the "now" fashions, something fuelled by mass media, and I don't think that helps in societies approach to anyone wearing something a bit different, be it heels, ladies clothes (on men) or anything considered eccentric. How long will it take? Who knows - sooner rather than later, I hope! It took a long time for women to get to wear mens clothes but there was an entire movement behind it and ours is slowly gathering pace as this site proves.
  • Do you personally know other men who wear heels? - Nope - only on HHP.
  • Tell us anything else that might be useful for an insightful article about men wearing heels - ​To anyone who thinks it looks weird or unusual, remember that so did women wearing trousers at one time. And to any men who've been wearing heels for some time, it doesn't. It's perfectly normal.

1. What first attracted you to high heels?

I honestly don't have a clue but when I first found some of the guys in the UK long ago wearing them, I thought, "What a novel idea".

2. When did you first wear a pair?

About 8 years ago

3. How do you feel when you wear heels?

Powerful

4. Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons?

Not really, I've found inexspensive shoes that are just a comfy as the expensive ones. Zappos and DSW., Selection.

5. Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not?

Yes, I practically live in stiletto boots and pumps. Because I like like them and because I can.

6. Men in relationships, are your partners supportive?

N/A

7. What's been your best heel wearing experience? Your worst?

The best heel wearing experience happens everyday, just being being out in public in them and be accepted for it. Guys calling out insults from moving wehicles (like a proper coward).

8. What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take?

I really don't care. I've already carved out my own niche. It's up to the other guys to affect any change. I've done all I can do.

9. Do you personally know other men who wear heels?

Only guys from HHPlace.

10. Tell us anything else that might be useful for an insightful article about men wearing heels.

Check out the following links.

http://izzym.hubpage...gh-Heeled-Shoes

http://video.foxnews...ear-lady-shoes/

There is much out there on the subject of men wearing high heels.There is much more.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• What first attracted you to high heels? That's hard to say. I believe I was always attracted to women who wore high heels. As a kid, I would look through a magazine and see all the models, and would always spot a good looking women in her heels when I was out and about somewhere.
  • When did you first wear a pair? Wasn't until just recently. Over the years, I have purchased many exotic items for my wife, and on one occasion, she made the wise crack comment "If you like this stuff so much, why don't you wear it". So I did one Valentines day, and discovered I was somewhat of a natural at high heels. Since then I have acquired my own collection of heels. The lesson to the wives of the world is obvious in this case.
  • How do you feel when you wear heels? It's somewhat natural feeling. I find my pace slows down a bit, and I tend to walk in a somewhat more relaxed. I kind of think it may be somewhat of an anti-stress thing for me. My back does feel better, my posture seems to improves.
  • Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons? No treally, I have acquired a variety of shoes and boots, but I cannot say I have one or two brands I stick too. I'm kinda watchful of my budget, so that may be a factor
  • Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not? Yes, but I say that with some restrictions in place. I usually wear heels when I am out of town. My wife is scared to death of others seeing me, so I don't very often locally. We have seen the abuse and peer pressures inflicted by some of the locals when it comes to behaviours they tend to believe are wrong. Anytime I am in a metropolitan area, I have no problems wearing heels for all occasions outside of work (work requires steel toe boots and sometimes metatarsals)
  • Men in relationships, are your partners supportive?Yes and no. So long as I don't wear them around the kids, and locally out and about, it's not an issue.
  • What's been your best heel wearing experience? Your worst? Still working on this one. It's usually a good experience for me, but rarely does anyone notice.
  • What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take? I really think most people who are around metropolitan locations really do not care much, but I do find that certain rural locations with strong social opinions automatically like to issue labels although they are usually unwarranted. Will this change? Maybe, but I tend to think it will be a long time coming not saying that sooner wouldn't be better.
  • Do you personally know other men who wear heels? Other than here at HHPlace, No. I have only met one from here so far.
  • Tell us anything else that might be useful for an insightful article about men wearing heels. The only other thing that seems to have made a difference for me is that I have worn mens cowboy boots with an under-slung riding heel for a good 35+ years, so making the height jump to 3 and 4+ inch heels wasn't too drastic. I still wear cowboy boots on a regular basis. I have never found mens dress/business shoes comfortable, and until recently never had a pair of steel toe boots that didn't hurt my feet. Since I am a mens size 7, finding boots is tough. Jumping to a womens size 9 or 10 gives me a much broader selection to choose from As a sideline note, recently I discovered that womens steel toe work boots fit me better, have more padding, are more comfortable, and surprisingly, cost less on average locally than the same boot in the mens aisle. Note: my avatar is not my usual selection. Need to change it sometime.

I have a feeling Im going to be the odd-ball in this one..

1 What first attracted you to high heels?

Good question. It wasnt reallt an ' attraction ' it was a halloween thing. Im a non-conformist of sorts. After that halloween though, I sorta liked the look but the inclination towards wearing them went away. The feeling to wear them again came back and now.. its ( usually ) a daily thing.

2 When did you first wear a pair?

As a child. A pair of my mothers were laying around. Conciously as an adult.. a halloween about 4 or 5 years ago.

3 How do you feel when you wear heels?

No different then when Im not wearing them. Im the same person/idiot/loving guy either way ;)

4 Do you have a favorite brand? Favorite store? Reasons?

Yes and no. I like a lot of different brands for different things but if there ' could be only one ' it would be NineWest. The Availability, fitment and quality for price really works well for me. Their style is also something I do appreciate.

5 Have you worn heels in public? Why or why not?

Yes, almost daily. Why? Because I can and I want to ;) . as a single man, I found women to actually be more open to a guy in heels. It started quite a few conversations. Being married now, those conversations have ended but the shopping sprees have come to fruition! Quality time ya know ;)

6 Men in relationships, are your partners supportive?

Supporting? She has bought my last 3 pairs, 2 of which she just came home with. " I saw these and thought you might like them.. ".

7 What's been your best heel wearing experience? Your worst?

Best? When I proposed to my wife. Worst? Playing a gig in Ohio in front of a large crowd and there was a heckler! He had some choice comments. Check the stories section of this site if you want a good read ;) its all in there :D

8 What do you think society thinks of men wearing heels? How do you wish it would change? How long do you think it will take?

What do I think society thinks of men in heels? Being brutally honest, I dont have a clue.. nor do I really care. It might sound like an odd answer but Im happy. My wife is happy. Societies thoughts about a guy wearing heels? Probably indifferent? Im sure theres some whom will say guys in heels are all gay. Some will say its a fashion statement.. For the most part and from my experiences.. I would say people dont care whats on my feet.

How do I wish it would change? I dont think society has to change. I think those of us whom want to wear heels should just do so, no holds barred out in public. Promote the idea.

How long would it take? Not long at all. Maybe 2-3 years if men whom were into heeling went full blown into it. Not just 1 man, but ALL men whom are into it.

9 Do you personally know other men who wear heels?

On a regular basis? I would have to say ' no ' but I do have a friend whom goes out to a strip club with me once in a while who has been known to wear a pair of white pleaser ' hooker ' type shoes :) . ( read the story section again, hope your a hockey fan! )

10 Tell us anything else that might be useful for an insightful article about men wearing heels.

Men whom wear heels arent all gay. I know, stereotype BUT..

I was a professional Plasterer. On this site, I have spoken with Mechanics, Theater workers, contractors.. people from all different backgrounds. We have talked about God ( Defacing Det 2-25 ), US laws.. name a subject and Im sure many of the men on here will strike up a conversation and they wouldnt be faking their way through it. The ' slice of life ' on this site varies so much. We are all of differing sexual needs, different races, different countries from south africa to the u.s. to europe, south america..

Whats inciteful is that theres no common ' denominator ' to be found amongst those of us on this site whom are men. The variation of a guy whom wears heels is unknown until you speak to them as an individual because thats what we all are, " differing individuals " and thats the ONLY thing that can be said with 100% honesty.

-Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.