Feeling Clumsy

mlroseplant

I would love to post this in the "everybody" forum, but I don't think it will get near the response, and I don't dare post in the girls' forum (I made that mistake once), but I have a serious question for anybody who cares to answer, of either gender. Maybe women don't think about this stuff too much, since those who wear heels as an adult probably grew up wearing heels as an adolescent. I think I've got the walking thing down now. Some days, I feel clumsier than others, but that's only natural. I think I've even got the standing thing down as well, although that is just plain hard on the dogs if you're wearing shoes with a substantial amount of steepness to them. Since I'm naturally bowlegged, I've learned to stand in a certain way to camouflage my natural deficiencies. I felt really clumsy today because I don't really know how to execute everyday tasks in heels, such as bending over to pick up a dropped object, loading groceries into the trunk (boot) of the car, walking down the stairs (up is not a problem, DOWN is......how do you even do that gracefully?), carrying my 35 pound (16 kg) son (nothing will mess up your walk more than carrying an older toddler). I would like to hear people's thoughts about how to go about living life gracefully in heels. I feel clumsy.

If you have a smartphone or digital camera that will do video, set it up and take a video of your doing various tasks in and around your home. Watch what you look like. Maybe you'll find it's not as bad as you think. Maybe you'll find where you can improve. It's an easy thing to do if you have the equipment (and not very expensive to get if you don't). If you have an approving wife or friend(s), ask them what they honestly think. Good luck. Steve

Why do you think so many women wear flats? ;) You don't bend down to pick things up, you just bend at the knees keeping the back straight. You will get better at the other things with practice.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

It's this simple gang, the more time you spend out in the world in heels the better you will get at them. Better to the extent that your body will come to expect you to be in heels in order to perform normally. I feel very awkward these days if I'm not wearing heels. I'm fairly convinced from my own experience that heels can alter ones center of gravity and body geometry in order to accommodate the wearing of high heels. The body will adapt to the altered body geometry in such a way that the motion is fluid and natural , and in no way impeded. A dedicated heel wearer is at their best in heels. It's a way of going through the world that every guy who desires it, experience it. But heels must be part of ones daily public and private life (sort of) to gain that level of proficiency. Flats actually feel like a hindrance at that point, but oddly walking barefoot feels as natural as being in heels. It's a progression one only experiences when heel wearing is your daily life out and about.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Lifting objects: just as Dr. Shoe said, lifting things should be done in a certain way, which should ALWAYS be done that way (no matter if you are wearing heels or not) if you are trying to lift heavy objects, as otherwise your spine gets much more of the stress. A video that explains it nicely is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI1Puuxd57Y. If you look at 00:07, you can see that the heel of his shoes even moves upwards when he lifts the object, so a modest heel even supports this movement. Still.... if you are moving, carrying around the boxes with 4 inch heels probably isn't the best idea. I am exaggerating a bit, but when I know that I am going to buy something heavy that I need to carry around, I often prefer flats.

Walking up & down the stairs: See video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPl4eXr-MpA, starting at 0:55 it gets interesting. Up: Just using the front of the shoe (that's quite easy, I can run stairs up as fast with heels as if I am in sneakers), down: place the whole shoe (including heel) onto the stair in a slight angle, so the whole shoe fits onto the stair. Always a bit difficult the higher the heel gets (still need to do this slowly with my highest heels). Grace comes with practice, although I guess guys are always expected to go up/down a little faster than a girl in heels. I've never seen a guy putting his feet onto the stair in an angle when walking downstairs.

Loading groceries into the trunk (boot) of the car: Sometimes even looks clumsy if I do it in flats... so I don't care :-)

Carrying my 35 pound son: Practice with inanimate objects only ;-). If you fall because of your heels while carrying your toddler, and he gets injured, you will never forgive yourself.

Lifting objects: just as Dr. Shoe said, lifting things should be done in a certain way, which should ALWAYS be done that way (no matter if you are wearing heels or not) if you are trying to lift heavy objects, as otherwise your spine gets much more of the stress. A video that explains it nicely is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI1Puuxd57Y. If you look at 00:07, you can see that the heel of his shoes even moves upwards when he lifts the object, so a modest heel even supports this movement. Still.... if you are moving, carrying around the boxes with 4 inch heels probably isn't the best idea. I am exaggerating a bit, but when I know that I am going to buy something heavy that I need to carry around, I often prefer flats.

Walking up & down the stairs: See video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPl4eXr-MpA, starting at 0:55 it gets interesting. Up: Just using the front of the shoe (that's quite easy, I can run stairs up as fast with heels as if I am in sneakers), down: place the whole shoe (including heel) onto the stair in a slight angle, so the whole shoe fits onto the stair. Always a bit difficult the higher the heel gets (still need to do this slowly with my highest heels). Grace comes with practice, although I guess guys are always expected to go up/down a little faster than a girl in heels. I've never seen a guy putting his feet onto the stair in an angle when walking downstairs.

Loading groceries into the trunk (boot) of the car: Sometimes even looks clumsy if I do it in flats... so I don't care :-)

Carrying my 35 pound son: Practice with inanimate objects only ;-). If you fall because of your heels while carrying your toddler, and he gets injured, you will never forgive yourself.

I must introduce myself a little bit better. I'm an industrial electrician, but I do quite a bit of construction work (where I'm absolutely NOT allowed to wear heels). One of my perennial jokes when we're getting ready to lift something heavy is, "Now, lift with your back, not your legs!" Every once in a while, I have to explain that I'm joking. Not everyone has my dry sense of humor.

I'm not worried about falling, but I never feel graceful when carrying my son in heels. He's just gotten too big. I make him walk by himself a lot more these days. On the other hand, when you've got a cute kid with you, it's all smiles. No one ever gives you a dirty or weird look when you've got a kid with you. Plus, it's gratifying when your son says, "Daddy....I really like your big high heels." Alas, my son prefers his Crocs.

I can relate to the stairs thing. I remember my first time in 6" platforms. Still makes me laugh to think about it. When wearing anything other than bare feet, one must be aware. I mean I have a pair of Redwing boots that if I'm not careful will take out the drywall in my kitchen!

Mike

Ya, I agree with the points made about stairs and picking up objects. Interestingly at the last Heels for HEAL charity walk (coming again at the end of February) they had stairs up to a platfrom where we showed off our shoes to the judges of the Hottest Heeks contest. I have a bad knee. Going up was no problem but coming down with no hand rail with everybody watching was a trick. I got a high five from the photographer when I got down, however. Beat, Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!