Itu To Try And Change The Internet As We Know It.

Anyone been following this at all?

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-11-29/internet/35434398_1_itu-internet-censorship-international-telecommunication-union

"The company was also concerned internet regulation by ITU "could increase censorship and threaten innovation" and "would require services like YouTube, Facebook, and Skype to pay new tolls in order to reach people across borders""

Its a very scary entity. Some of the ideas being proposed are each country having its own DNS structure. I think this would cause outright havock.

Thoughts?

-Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Anyone been following this at all?

http://articles.time...unication-union

"The company was also concerned internet regulation by ITU "could increase censorship and threaten innovation" and "would require services like YouTube, Facebook, and Skype to pay new tolls in order to reach people across borders""

Its a very scary entity. Some of the ideas being proposed are each country having its own DNS structure. I think this would cause outright havock.

Thoughts?

-Ilk

It's been discussed and proposed before, but now, countries like Iran are basically creating their own internet within it's borders, and not allowing full access to world resources. It's their way to contain all public knowledge within their borders and limit freedom.

Keep it out of Itu hands, and if countries like Iran , North Korea, and China want to limit access - - F&%K them.

ilikekicks, I am aware of this but don't give it too much credence. I do, however, give more credence to the idea that the United Nations, as good an idea as it was at the time of its creation, has become an octopus in its reach and corrupt at its core. I have also become convinced that what the EU can't control in Europe it uses the UN to manipulate other countries' laws well beyond Europe. The old aage that absolute power corrupts absolutely has never been more true. The US and others should step on the UN with a cold stiletto boot and put them in their place. HappyinHeels

Problem is, our current president is the UN's lapdog.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I can agree that Obama is 100% as much useless as the U.N. itself but thats a secondary thought for me in this. What Im most worried about is the DNS registries. Presently, the DNS structure allows the register to keep things moving. A few years ago, the discussion of moving the DNS registar out of the U.S. was mentioned and when push came to shove, it was decided that leaving it where it was ( at the time ) seemed to be a sound decision. Presently though, Russia and China are on a big push to have things segregated. What I DO believe will happen is in Europe, Social Marxism will rear its ugly face once again and charge people and companies for some kind of ' data transportation fee ' or a new tax. Consider such though. I come to this site, its based in the U.K. . Will I be charged even if Tech and the Staff want no part of such a fee levied upon the users here? Ad's presently keep costs down but how much of an effect will those Ad's have on the overall bill when it comes due to try and keep site costs down if the host provider has to apply all these traffic fees ( taxes )? What happens to companies whom might be Multinational? Their costs of operation have now grown and their information could possibly be censored/blocked. Not just inter company memos or anything like that, how about product designs and shipment information? Many countries already have their own domain extensions. Theres nothing wrong with this IMO. If a country wants to write a law for its people and it goes through their methods and means.. so be it. What I DO have a problem with is if someone wishes to visit a .com or .net extension and then finds access denied because someone else has decided for them that ' well.. we dont want you going there '.. Really?

Due to the political aspects currently found in the world, I'm definitely in favor of the master DNS servers staying right where they are. As much as we bitch about what our government is doing, or plans on doing, I don't see us making any drastic moves to manipulate the DNS structure in any way to control or restrict freedom of information.

Think whatever you want but all of our governments will do whatever they want to do regardless of what we want. And, we can't do anything about it.

Edited by Bubba136

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

ilikekicks, I am aware of this but don't give it too much credence. I do, however, give more credence to the idea that the United Nations, as good an idea as it was at the time of its creation, has become an octopus in its reach and corrupt at its core. I have also become convinced that what the EU can't control in Europe it uses the UN to manipulate other countries' laws well beyond Europe. The old aage that absolute power corrupts absolutely has never been more true. The US and others should step on the UN with a cold stiletto boot and put them in their place. HappyinHeels

au contraire my friend you are wrong about the EU.

the European Parliament has spoken out against proposals to UN body International Telecom Union as regulatory authority to take over the management over the internet.

According to the European Parliament no central authority must have that power.

It seems to mostly China and Russia wanting this

And also may I also point out thay the EU voted no on ACTA:

On 4 July 2012, the European Parliament voted against ACTA. The European Commission continues to seek the legal opinion of the European Court of Justice on whether this agreement harms any of the fundamental rights of European citizens and will analyse the decision carefully.

W

Was approved but after much protest was voted against.

Anyway where is this Europa bashing coming from on this forum?

Edited by FreshinHeels

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

Think whatever you want but all of our governments will do whatever they want to do regardless of what we want. And, we can't do anything about it.

I would beg to differ. There are those of us that would stand on our feet rather then serve on our knees. We might not be many, but we are the voice that does speak when needed.

If you feel theres nothing that can be done, thats your ' right '. I wont give up or put myself into such a submission.

I would beg to differ. There are those of us that would stand on our feet rather then serve on our knees. We might not be many, but we are the voice that does speak when needed.

If you feel theres nothing that can be done, thats your ' right '. I wont give up or put myself into such a submission.

Agree with this to many people are silent.

But lucky for us we live in countries where we can speak up try to voice you're opinion in China, Russia etc.

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

Winston Churchill

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/winstonchu164161.html#zp6bOMvhVEBKXfAO.99

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

That's why it doesn't exist. Most Americans will say they live in a democracy. But the truth is they live in a republic.

If we actually lived in a democracy the peoples word is law, not elected officials.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

That's not what I said. I agree that the people shouldn't just stand by without expressing there feelings on issues. If you are willing to stand up and let your displeasures be known, I'm right there along side of you to the bitter end. My expression goes to the point that what ever form our disagreement takes, this administration will do what ever it takes to carry out it's objectives -- even going against popular opinion. Just look at the way the executive branch is governing. By Presidentian decree without authority from the legistrative branch, by rewriting regulations and even committing funds without congressional appropriation.

And, it flows down hill. State and local governments are also originating and enforcing ordinances regulating the size of soft drinks and the kind of oil you can use to cook your popcorn. Sure, you can "toss the bums out" at the next election but, as shown in the recent election, those that give away the most stuff get the votes. And, it's going to get worse before it get better -- if it ever does.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

That's not what I said. I agree that the people shouldn't just stand by without expressing there feelings on issues. If you are willing to stand up and let your displeasures be known, I'm right there along side of you to the bitter end.

Same here! :D

My expression goes to the point that what ever form our disagreement takes, this administration will do what ever it takes to carry out it's objectives -- even going against popular opinion. Just look at the way the executive branch is governing. By Presidentian decree without authority from the legistrative branch, by rewriting regulations and even committing funds without congressional appropriation.

Very true and I agree whole heartedly. But the meathead in the Oval Office isnt the same meathead as the meatheads at ITU.

And, it flows down hill. State and local governments are also originating and enforcing ordinances regulating the size of soft drinks and the kind of oil you can use to cook your popcorn. Sure, you can "toss the bums out" at the next election but, as shown in the recent election, those that give away the most stuff get the votes. And, it's going to get worse before it get better -- if it ever does.

I think your ' theory ' is more then fiction and more likely to be founded in nothing but facts of granite. I wont even try to dispute them as I feel the same way, Committed Prepper on my end.

What I was looking for were responses in regards to the U.N. and the ITU trying to ( more or less ) Take over the internet or segregate it..

If you go to the Google Home page, you will finf a message link, which takes you here; https://www.google.com/takeaction/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=hpp&utm_campaign=12032012freeandopen_en This sounds more than just a little proposal, it's sounding like a major endeavor, and it also looks like we the people need to respond accordingly.

Thanks for the link Heelster. The more and more I look at this the real issue is becoming very easy to solve. 22% of all its funding could ' go away ' and their new ' member nation ' number count could be down to 192 again.

Dream on! Never happen. To many liberals enraptured by the thought of one world government with the leader of some no account third world nation in charge.

Dream on! Never happen. To many liberals enraptured by the thought of one world government with the leader of some no account third world nation in charge.

Don't forget our favored liberal in the White House - - - Now what would he do??

Its more then just liberals. Toss in the Rothschilds and Builderburgs.

Don't forget our favored liberal in the White House - - - Now what would he do??

Hes not a ' liberal ', hes an anti-colonialist.

Ohhhh - - Are we refering to the committee of 300??

Sort-of.

Im referring to how Obama just ' came to be '. His whole theology. I dont like what he stands for but its remarkable how he came to be what he is. Its a multicultural example of failure at its core. Its a blatant example of how the whole system has become such a failure and people really arent represented at all. Its all an open example of how to ' properly dispose ' of others liberties while securing what a select few believe is the ' correct way for all '. Its the same theme that many before him represented but they way they made it to there is totally different and its almost as if it were ' planned '.

The same thing is happening with the ITU.

If countries wish to regulate online or network activities, they could easily pass laws in their own boarders stating the domains they they can use will be directed to specific " *******.*** " areas. Russia could direct all their traffic to a ' *****.ru ' gateway and filter things. Canada could direct their traffic throught a ' *****.ca ' site. Theres no need to segregate the whole network and cause massive traffic checks at every router out there.

If a country wants certain laws for itself, more power to them. What I find very appalling is how a few nations want something and were all supposed to bend over and do all the lifting to make things fall in line with what they want.

Personally.. The Internet was made here in the U.S. . The whole concept of the domain registar and BIND came from good old geeks here in the states.. leave it be. If someone wants to use something else, more power to them, go build it. If others like the new concept or functionality of this different model, they can freely join as they see fit. If not, they can use what they presently do ( or dont ).

Things really can be that easy.

• 2 weeks later...

FreshinHeels,

A comment from ONE hhplace member does not a "Europa-basher" make. Take another look at what I said. What the EU can't control in Europe they seek the UN to manipulate other countries' laws beyond Europe. Why do you think a European Parliament exists? It is there to exert control over all the EU countries and that's why your taxes are as high as they are. Your guilder, franc, mark, peseta, lira, and all the rest were incinerated and you were issued the Euro. Each country moved a part of its capital to Brussels, and along with it, an even larger portion of your sovereignty. I just returned from abusiness trip to London and Paris and I can tell you, rather frankly, that more Europeans than ever are fed up with the EU and this continental experiment. No one is more fed up than the Germans. Their frugality has now become their liability as they are continaully asked to foot the bill for bloated and financially broken governments across the EU. I detected an air of resignation across the faces of so many people I spoke to on my trip from businesspeople, to shopkeepers, to waiters, taxidrivers, and policemen. I am not a journalist by trade but people seem to open up to me as if I were. I report what I see and hear like any conscientous citizen should. It may not be what your ears want to hear but it is the information that people are expressing. I don't like or trust the UN, EU, the World Court or the IMF as I think they are corrupt shells of their former selves it's just that simple. HappyinHeels

I'm afraid I don't know what the ITU is. But sadly I do agree with Churchill. There's nothing inherently fair about democracy. In fact, democracy says, 'There's more of us so we can get our own way.' Democracy is ultimately rule by force. Do I have a better way? Of course not. Except having no-one in charge.

At this point, the issue is dead. The US, UK, and Canada flat out rejected the proposal and a slew of other countries would not sign on without their governments review, so as of now, ther are no changes planned in this regard. Here is one reort for your review; http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240174668/ITU-regulation-blocked-by-UK-and-US

Good link Heelster! "However, countries such as Russia, China and Saudi Arabia have said the current state of play where, for example, the US holds the rights to the naming and registration of addresses on the internet, puts control into select hands already and believes new regulations were needed. " Theres NOTHING stopping the governments from THOSE countries censoring or regulating access to and from their nations boarders. They can do whatever they wish within their lawful systems but CANNOT go into another nations.