Giving People Courage To Be Who They Are And Wear What You Want

mtnsofheels

I came across a news item about Lady Gaga's "Peace Prize Award" which she will accept in Iceland on October 9th 2012. I was motivating to find her website and then read about the "Born this Way Foundation" which has done amazing amounts of work in the area of Acceptance of who you are. The site is really good for the motivation and acceptance of who you are and to go with bravery and face all that holds you back from dong that. I thought that many us here that have struggled with our own demons and criticism because of the shoes or boots we would like to wear. Just reading through the website gives me more motivation to be who I am. If any one is here is struggling with wanting the courage and motivation to be who they are and what you wear on your feet, you want to check it out. Lady Gaga's song which has become a symbol of this movement "Born This Way" for world wide acceptance. I do like her music, some may not like it but one can only admire her wishes for youth, acceptance and peace. here is the link, http://bornthiswayfoundation.org/ This type of movement and motivation will allow us make our wishes of acceptance for High Heels to be worn by whoever wishes to wear them a reality in the future. Now it is our turn have the courage to be who we are! Go out and wear a pair heels be who you are! Comments? Mtnsofheels

This type of movement and motivation will allow us make our wishes of acceptance for High Heels to be worn by whoever wishes to wear them a reality in the future.

Now it is our turn have the courage to be who we are! Go out and wear a pair heels be who you are!

Comments?

Mtnsofheels

I dont believe such a ' movement ' will do anything more then try and impose the will of one group upon another.

The BEST way to be ' accepted ' is to go out, as an individual, and be yourself. Some people can don a pair of shoes and just go out. Others feel intimidated, scared or however they do.

Individuals decide whom or what they are. A ' movement ' doesnt justify it. Just because a ' group ' of people decide they wish to be seen in a certain way doesnt make it reality.

Ive often found that when such groups ' feel ' a certain way, it causes friction amongst EVERYONE. Theres old time examples of the KKK, Nazis, Christian Fundamentalists, Stalins crew.. Theres no real difference in mentality, just the name of the ' cause '.

There was another thread in which people were stating how they wanted to change laws to benefit THEIR view, regardless of how it would effect others. Thats exactly how the groups I mention operate. Some will take offense to my saying such, but the truth needs to be seen for what it is.

If someone cannot attain the courage to put on a pair of heels and go to a mall, maybe they shouldnt do it. If someone can put on heels and go to the mall, good for them. Not everyone can drive a race car, not everyone can skydive. Many people cant balance their checkbooks.. I cant cook worth a damn ( dont ever come to dinner if I invite you, pick up a takeout order on your way here :D ).

I can plaster a wall like no other. Fact is, Im the BEST in my area. Dont ask me to paint the wall when im done or look at any plumbing. There are some things I CAN do, and some things I SHOULDNT.

Knowing our limits, what we are capable of, is the BEST thing for all of us.

The ONLY thing stopping any one of us from doing certain things is OURSELVES. Not some ' group ' or ' movement '. People do NOT ' HAVE TO ' by a mandate to accept others.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

It starts with your desire within reality and your motivation to satify it. If it's really important to you and it can be achieved as you overcome or get around the obstacles stopping or delaying your progression, then chances are it is possible.

When the first women wore trousers in the 1930s, they were spat at and ridiculed and some were completely cut off by their friends. By the time the war came, women's trousers were common-place. So much so that when torusers were found to be the dress code in the factories and on the farms, most women had no problem putting them on. A "movement" isn't going to help but individuals just doing it will. I'm betting that these designers who are sending their male models down the catwalk in heels have seen people like you around and about and thought it a sleek and sexy look.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

There is still plemty of people living in places in the world where they are not allowed to express themselves in any way they want. There is still plent if countries where people are not allowed to be gay, lesbian, dress they way ye want or whatever. Countries where you can get the death penalty for some of these " crimes" So if a movement like this helps, I say yes! Those people need all the help they can get.

Edited by FreshinHeels

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

If someone cannot attain the courage to put on a pair of heels and go to a mall, maybe they shouldnt do it. If someone can put on heels and go to the mall, good for them. Not everyone can drive a race car, not everyone can skydive. Many people cant balance their checkbooks.. I cant cook worth a damn ( dont ever come to dinner if I invite you, pick up a takeout order on your way here :D ).

What did work for me was to just push the limit. Here in Orange I can go to the mall in five inch stilettos and buy a pair and wear them back from there but long before that I actually had to sum up some courage to go out in Famolrie wedge heels and it was fun. No need to fail in defeat with the five inch stilettoes when there can be victory in two inch wedges.

To be accpected by others you really need to accept who you are, and need to be comfortable with who you are. That's what gave me a lot of confidence to be myself wherever I went. I spent to much time hiding myself from the world and family, worrying about what other people would think and trying to tell myself that it was wrong to wear heels, and wear the women's clothes that I like. When I realised that I was watching my life go past and not living it the way I should, I realised I need to accept the fact that I do like these things and that it is who I am and that there is nothing wrong with it. Yes I admit the first time I went out in public I was scared but after a few times I realised that yes, you get the odd look from people, and it can be funny to watch, and yes the toilet is even harder to do, but on the whole when going in to the shops to try on shoes or clothes or just shopping in general I got a lot of nice comments from staff and shoppers and never really had anything negative. Not even a guy getting into my face, well not yet but if it does, his day won't be sparkling for to long. I'm now at a point where my confidence allow me to wear the clothes I want all the time and no longer afraid to go to local shops and have even told work mates and nothing negative has happened. At the end of the day, there is no switch that is going to be tripped that is going to make society all off a sudden accept guys that wear or want to wear heels or clothing from the opposite sex. Although Lady Gaga's movement is a positive step in to trying to get people to accept everyone for who they are in the end it is up to the individual to accept themselves and to be confident, and then those around you will accept you. Just my 2 cents though.

Just do it! Who cares what people think! My mom saw me in heels and asked me a hundred questions. I told her it was fashion, and so what if women wear heels. She said, why are you wearing high heels, they look like stilletos! I said, you want to try them on. She tried them on, and couldn't even stand up! I said: see, your a woman and can't walk in heels! They are only 4.5" high! I didn't show them my other pair. They would give me hell for spending too much money.

Thanks for the comments,

I agree with all said and yes it is up to the person, and first it is ones own move that will get em out on the street.

Like jarod91 stated,

At the end of the day, there is no switch that is going to be tripped that is going to make society all off a sudden accept guys that wear or want to wear heels or clothing from the opposite sex. Although Lady Gaga's movement is a positive step in to trying to get people to accept everyone for who they are in the end it is up to the individual to accept themselves and to be confident, and then those around you will accept you. Just my 2 cents though.

The one slant I will point at is that many people have similar acceptance issues in society just to be themselves such Gays, Lesbian and other minority groups too many to mention, They all have the same struggles, just as we many guys here do for wearing heeled shoes and boots.

So when someone of us thinks a person might say something or the fear of rejection plays on your mind, just think that many other folks have the same issues

just to be in society without heels, but they do it anyways because they have to, so it boils down to " Just do it" as many of said and I agree.

The movement suggestion was only to have and idea of "safety in numbers" or as stated in many other threads here, " The High Heel Place" has helped many of us

to dare ourselves and go heeling. That is the movement!

All good stuff and yes there will always be places not to go and many places we should go.

Just as any city or country can be.

Keep pushing the heeling!

Mtnsofheels

I dont say this in any negative fashion, but as a correction.

The one slant I will point at is that many people have similar acceptance issues in society just to be themselves such Gays, Lesbian and other minority groups too many to mention, They all have the same struggles, just as we many guys here do for wearing heeled shoes and boots.

*I* might be part Puerto Rican and part Jew.. But Im no ' minority '. Im not below or ' lesser ' then anyone else.

*I* have had NO struggles in wearing what I wish , out and about, for the last year. I've played gigs, been shopping, to friends homes, to malls, to movies, to car shows, to Niagara Falls.. no struggles at all.

There needs to be NO ' association ' to anything as ' we many guys ' have many instances of us going out and about , strutting around in some wonderful footware whenever we have wanted to.

You mention gays and lesbians..

Rockpup seems to be openly ' gay '. Im sure there are other ' gay ' members here on this site. I bet some of them know other homosexuals that they surely wouldnt associate with due to temperament, flamboyancy or even ' just because '.

There are quite a few ' Latinos ' that will NEVER be invited to my place for dinner. Theres a Rhabbi I know that would make good company for them.. Its not because they are spics and a jew, its because they are individuals I wont take company with.

Have you ever heard the saying " You cant judge the whole group because of one bad apple! ". Get rid of the ' group ' and you have isolated the problem and can deal with it very efficiently.

We are each accepted as an individual, not as a group. Gays, straights, blues, yellows, pink-with-purple-polkadots.. were all individuals and we all vary greatly on all aspects of our lives.

The problem why things wont go ' mainstream ' is the usage of ' grouping ' for everything. Its a common trend that 85% of the planet uses. Everyone HAS to fit some ' Group ', and thus why negative stereotypes will always apply. Its a huge failure on the mindset instilled upon many people by ' society ' in general.

So when someone of us thinks a person might say something or the fear of rejection plays on your mind, just think that many other folks have the same issues

just to be in society without heels, but they do it anyways because they have to, so it boils down to " Just do it" as many of said and I agree.

Very true. Just go do your own thing! ;)

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

• 2 weeks later...

The BEST way to be ' accepted ' is to go out, as an individual, and be yourself. Some people can don a pair of shoes and just go out. Others feel intimidated, scared or however they do.

Individuals decide whom or what they are. A ' movement ' doesnt justify it. Just because a ' group ' of people decide they wish to be seen in a certain way doesnt make it reality.

I can plaster a wall like no other. Fact is, Im the BEST in my area. Dont ask me to paint the wall when im done or look at any plumbing. There are some things I CAN do, and some things I SHOULDNT.

Knowing our limits, what we are capable of, is the BEST thing for all of us.

The ONLY thing stopping any one of us from doing certain things is OURSELVES. Not some ' group ' or ' movement '. People do NOT ' HAVE TO ' by a mandate to accept others.

Well said. Do what you feel is best for you, and enjoy the freedom of doing it. We've said it so many times in so many posts, there are people who will accept, and there are people who will deny. And most often those who deny will not be swayed.