Having Trouble Walking In Higher Heels.

Curt

I would like some advice how to walk gracefully in tall heels. I can walk good up to 3.5" heels. Anything else above that I have trouble. I'm buying a pair of mens 4" heels from fluevog, and I want to be able to walk like a supermodel, well close enough maybe! I have been so used to wearing 70s platforms, that the foot is pretty much level. I can walk in heels on carpet really good, but walking on a cobblestone street, or a steep downhill forget it. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Trust me you don't want to walk like a supermodel. The crossover step runway strut is a very unnatural and fatiguing way to walk. Honestly just stick with what you can walk well in and push it just a bit, regularly until you can handle higher.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Time and mileage and it becomes so natural there is no predictive thought involved. Adding height comes as you get used to one then the next 1/4 -1/2 inch becomes easier and so on. some can do 4" on first step some more some less, foot size helps. Don't panic it will come. Al

Get out there in the 3.5" heels and wear them out on all those tougher locations. When you get to the 4" and up, it wont seem so tough. When you get out to the point you forget what's on your feet, then you'll realize you have it down. Went out once recently with a pair of high heeled spiked clogs, and was looking around a store selling discount and refurbished power tools. I was talking with the sales guy for some time and went all over that store. I had moved on to another store before I realized I had spent over an hour without actually thinking about what I had on my feet - - - - that's when it hits you. It was second nature.

I would like some advice how to walk gracefully in tall heels. I can walk good up to 3.5" heels. Anything else above that I have trouble. I'm buying a pair of mens 4" heels from fluevog, and I want to be able to walk like a supermodel, well close enough maybe! I have been so used to wearing 70s platforms, that the foot is pretty much level. I can walk in heels on carpet really good, but walking on a cobblestone street, or a steep downhill forget it. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

When increasing the height of your heels you have to feel confident! Practice as much as you can in them but dont get discouraged if it takes a bit of time to get used to the higher heel, its worth it!!!

Yes, I can walk in 6.5 inch heels!!!

I think there is a limit due to your feet's arch, most girls can arch her feet completely, and they can walk in very high heels. My limit is 10.5 cm (a little more of 4 inches), if I try to walk in 11cm heels I'm able, but my feet is completely arched and it has no elasticity to steep properly, so my ankle hurts a little after a while. I think heel training migth improve this, but I can't wear heels for soo long.

Yesterday I went out to the supermarket in 5" heel wooden mules. A couple of years ago I could barely walk in them, now they feel like flats.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I would agree that it's all about practice, practice and still more practice, as much as you can for as long as you can until you become fully acclimated to walking in higher heel heights. Just like Dr. Shoe, I never would've imagined walking in five inchers a year or so ago, but today, they're a breeze to walk in. Again, PRACTICE!!!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Wearing taller heels does take practice and possibly exercise, but I've decided that my heel height limit is 3.5 inch (9 cm). I'm satisfied with that. Even wearing 3.5 inch heels is a stretch if I go a long time without walking in them. Women do seem to have naturally more flexible arches than men have, along with less body weight to carry, so it's usually easier for women to wear taller heels.

Lot's of good advice here already...Here is the key I've found - keep a good frame (posture) look straight ahead - never down at your toes. Practic e by walking towards a mirror or a darkened window front stairing at your head. Relax you hips a bit to cushion the heel plants and keep you steps smaller than natural at first then lengthen as you feel more comfortable. You stride in tall heels will never match that in lesser heels. I find a comforable stride for me has me placing one foot almost in line with the other - more in line with heels than in flats. And though you can try the supermodel crossover step, it requires an unnatural swing of the arems to stay in balance.

Women do seem to have naturally more flexible arches than men have, along with less body weight to carry, so it's usually easier for women to wear taller heels.

Women's feet are no different from men's feet other than average foot size. Differences are usually culturally induced, but these are being reduced as women do more sports and maintain similar lifestyles to men.

Men have an easier time in heels based on average foot size. Remember this next time you see a woman wearing high heels. Her feet must endure higher extremes to wear the same heels. I know I can appreciate it.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I have to agree with shafted. We often buy the same pair of heels and it's clear the arch is steeper for MrsF as she has smaller feet even though the shoes are identical.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

A week ago we did a wedding, one of the nephews. I had given Chris a pair of my shoes (8UK) that are just a tad too short in length on me. They fit her well and being strapped (6 strap mary jane style) the looseness/gap at the heel is not a problem. After an hour she could not walk in them, she looked like she was tottering in 6" ballet heels and not happy! Yet apart from the length issues giving discomfort I could be walking well after 2 or more hours. Mum and daughter have the same size feet 6UK, Daughter has the same shoe, has no problems, did a wedding last year and counted 5 hours plus? This is similar to you getting used to different lift heights and just a reminder different manufacturers often have a different shape arch, so some feel steeper and more difficult. I've bought something new first step I've virtually fallen yet after a day or two they are feeling better than others of lower height. Can't explain why? Just add some patience and you will be there or at a point of accepting a limit for a while (which could be in your head) then later all comes good. Alpost-2779-0-07168100-1346830287_thumb.jp

I have to agree with shafted. We often buy the same pair of heels and it's clear the arch is steeper for MrsF as she has smaller feet even though the shoes are identical.

Same here: My wife and I own the same boots having 5" stiletto heels. Her size is an EU40 and I've EU48 and her arch is steeper, too. That's the reason why I bought a pair of 6" stiletto pumps shortly after and walked in them instead of the 5". Could walk in them within 2 days. But walking in the lower 5" needed much more practice (weeks). For me the arch of 6" is the best I think.